Options

1000 miles in 2023

Comments

• Options
    JackFWJackFW ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice, Harmander. That’s a good tip re: Marathon training.

I will check out the local parkrun and report back!
  • Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Harmander and MrM2 feel for you guys I can’t even imagine how difficult it must be just mentally being a carer - Well done both of you.

I am like Jack still a park run virgin 😁

12 miler today along with a 5 mile recovery run on Wednesday.

YTD 671 miles.

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Most going well,  I see! 

I'm another advocate of parkrun. Get down to one, MrCJack! Can be used in lots of ways: social run, tempo run, a "race", part of a longer run, etc. I'm on around 170 but haven't run one hard yet! 

Actually was planning on running one tomorrow, then going to cricket: forecast is for heavy rain and strong winds so chose to push on during this morning's run instead of tomorrow's parkrun. 

YTD: 710 miles
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Harmander. Sorry about the OysterCard!

Thanks MrC... Well done on the 12 mile run.    

Yesterday was a good day, for many reasons, but especially good for running; conditions were great and the body didn't seem to have any objections! After the previous day's disastrous 7 mile run I wasn't sure what to expect. Thought about a 16 mile run but decided that it was too soon to ignore the previous day. So, settled for 8 miles. That went well (10:30/mile pace) and just 3 hours after finishing that run I repeated it...and felt even better (8 miles @10:10/mile pace). So, 16 miles for the day.

YTD: 962' .
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Mr MM: good running. You've said a little about your home situation so I realise finding time to run is a challenge. Good to hear of your recent success. 

I'm another fan of park run. Today was 199 and my slowest ever. Overly cautious due to a sore back, but still loved it. 

Out on Thurs night for 7.2 when the back which is connected to the hip and the thigh and the knee, the calf and the achillies meaning it felt my whole left side was locking up! Finally a very steady and cautious park run making 

Ytd:741.8 (Aug 20.7)

Lots of stretching and foam rolling taking place. 
  • Options
    Thanks JackFW, Mrc, MrM2, et al.

Absolutely chucking it at parkrun this morning but I still did my usual extra bit of running to and from plus a bit (could not use an Oyster anyway) so 8.37 miles

YTD = 1286.97 miles.

The rain made me go a bit out on the pacing front - paced for 35 mins, did 34:58.

Yes I do even splits, maybe one or two seconds either way out each Km

A few years ago I did EXACTLY 7:00 mins for every one of the 42 km at the London. and adjusted to finish one second under 5 hours by walking the last bit.

• Options
    JackFWJackFW ✭✭✭
    I am pleased to report that my 10km (56:30) run went well yesterday with no knee pain or discomfort during or after.

I did my home circuit which is along the waterfront between Princes Pier in Port Melbourne and St Kilda Pier.

I just went for a Sunday morning post recovery stroll (coffee and pastry in hand) with the other half and the knee has held up! Such a relief!

On parkrun news, I have done a little bit of research and have found a local event so will be sure to check it out and report back. Thanks for the recommendations and encouragement.

YTD - 635
  • Options
    Great to hear lots of love for parkrun....I have to admit I'm not a fan of flat 5k runs....but I've ended up being one of our parkrun Event Directors...yeah although it's officially not a race, a lot of people find it very useful for getting pace right, we had 115 runners/walkers at our third one & all went well (the new results system is way better than the previous version).
    I had a fell race yesterday, Ras Cerrig Glas, 7 miles with 1200ft of climb, bogs, rocks & a nutty dowhill to the finish, took it easy to look after my knee plus fitness just not there anymore....absolutely loved it...ran it with my boy....he was happier than he looks....the rocky outcrop in the background is where the Stonhenge Bluestones came from (apparently).
    578 miles YTD
    54,751ft Elevation
  • Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    Jack good news on the knee, you will be looking for some races soon at this rate.

speedier session today 6 mile tempo  plus a mile warm up and cool down

YTD 693 miles.
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    It all seems a bit odd at the moment. My left leg is really stiff a lot of the time. Seems to be coming from the upper calf, bottom of the knee and then into the hip.

I've looked at my everyday shoes and running trainers as a possible cause. Doing a lot of stretching. 

When I run it seems to ease, especially on quicker runs. Mon night was 4.2 on the local park run course which is grass (effectively rolled mud) and Tues was 6.4 on pavements.

Slightly worried about prep for the the Yorkshire marathon as I need to move from frequent but short runs to double digit efforts.

Ytd: 752.4 (Aug 31.3)
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Donnie...Hope you can sort out your niggles, and have a good few weeks on the way to Yorkshire!!!

Jack... a steady 10km! Hope the knee behaves!

Hobie... All the best for the parkrun as it builds up?!  And well done on the trail event!

MrC... closing in on the 700'!

A 'brisk' 8 miles at the week-end, and a couple of slow 7s this week.

YTD: 984' .
  • Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    16 mile long run today, was planning a fast finish but nothing in the legs today.

YTD 709 miles
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Just dropping in to say, 'Well done!' to MrC for the 16 miles, and bursting through 700'!

Today has turned out to be a 'rest' day for me, with lots of life going on!
  • Options
    JackFWJackFW ✭✭✭
    Hobie, I am keen to try a fell race when I’m back in the UK. I’ve seen a few YT videos. It’s looks like an adventure! Keep the pics coming.

Strong weekly mileage MrM2.

Congrats to MrC on the 700m milestone!

Donnie, I share your anxiety on the Marathon preparation. I am about 65 days away and I need a lot for mileage in the legs between now and then (along with staying fit.

I completed parkrun no. 1 this morning. It was a fantastic experience at Albert Park (for those who follow F1, it’s where the Melbourne Grand Prix is held) with over 500 in attendance. I followed the 5km parkrun by another 8km doing 13km in total.

YTD - 646m
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jack. Glad you had a good parkrun experience.

I gave parkrun half a thought myself, yesterday, but it didn't work out with other things going on. And by the time that I was clear to get out for a run it was too late to do the long one that I had in mind. 
    So, settled for 7 miles. Then in the afternoon I was good to go again, and ran 9 miles. (They were better than the morning miles!?)
    Total of 16 miles for the day, taking me nicely to 1000 for the year, so far.

YTD:1000' .
  • Options
    Also dropping in. Still injured. It's two steps forward, one step back with this one (and I've not even tried to run...very frustrated). But walking parkrun and volunteering at juniors.
    All the best, folks.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done on the thousand,  MrM2! Excellent work!

And glad you enjoyed your parkrun experience,  Jack! 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Cal... Sorry that you are still struggling to get clear of your injuries. Well done for persevering with the walking and Gym work! Something must be getting stronger!?

Alehouse... Thanks. Pleased to be notching up some miles and recording some enjoyable runs. Still need to work more on pace and cadence....as ever...!

Yesterday was to have been a rest day but the afternoon sunshine was too tempting! Went for a steady 7 miles.  (Basically two loops...with the second one just 30 secs slower.)

YTD: 1007' .
  • Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    MrM2 well done on the 1000 miles.

Cal just keep plugging away with the rehab it’s so frustrating being injured.

A speedier session today 3 X 2 miles with a 3 min break between the runs.

YTD 725 miles.
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Mr MM: congratulations on 1000. Keep going.

Jack: I'm still aiming for 4 hours in the Yorkshire marathon (mid Oct) but I really need to bank some long runs. I'm not injured as such, but I feel like an engine with no oil in it. Every run I feel I'm fighting with my body. Everything down the left hand side is so stiff. I've now changed my everyday shoes as the heels we're worn and I'm in the process of renewing the orthotics I wear, hopefully these changes along with some stretching will do the job.

Three runs to log in the last week 5, 5 and 8.4. Running effected by watching 2 county cricket games and a championship football match. It's not been a bad week. 

Ytd: 770.8 (Aug 49.7)
  • Options
    Nice one MrM2!

Donnie, I know that feeling only it's my right side. I think what you need is strength work - mainly core (and side planks. Which is what I'm doing even though I hate them).

A bit more hopeful for me today - yesterday my walks were a lot more comfortable so I decided to try and Jeff 3 miles today (2 mins run/1 walk). Wasn't entirely free of discomfort but manageable so I'm going to see how my body reacts to that and go from there.

YTD: 855
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks MrC... '3 X 2miles' sounds interesting. Is this specific training for a particular distance or event? I used to do much more in the way of structured sessions, when I had access to a track. I miss that now.

Thanks Donnie... 'engine without oil' doesn't sound anything but 'bad'! So, hope you can find a solution to your unhappy, left side!

Thanks Cal... Great that you are testing the waters....I want to tell you to be patient but that would be a bit ripe, coming from me!
    (April, May and June were testing months for me, with just 24, 88 and 83 miles recorded. But, thankfully I'm running more freely now. Still need to work on pace and cadence! )

Back in the Bournemouth area again, for a couple of weeks. Enjoyed a seafront 7 miles yesterday; trying to hold a 10min/mile pace for 6 flat miles. (14 secs. adrift...)
    Then, this morning, I got out earlier for a relaxed 7 miles...mainly traffic free.

YTD: 1021' .
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Cal: good advice, thank you, although tonight (see below) felt like a step forward. Great you're up and running, take care. 

Mr MM: enjoy Bournemouth, I suspect you will. May the sea air do you good. 

5.3 on both Wed and Thurs nights. Today felt like a good run for the first time in a while. It's to early for the stretching and core work to have any effect, the change of work shoes, and being honest the heels on the old pair were knackered, looks to have helped the left side stiffness. 

Ytd: 781.4 (Aug 60.3)
  • Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    MrM2 yes I have a marathon in October, I stopped paying to use our local track after it went up to £4 a session. Local park is good enough even if it does have a bit of a gradient but it’s manageable.

Donnie hopefully the change of footwear is the answer to your issues, fingers crossed.

Easy 18 miles today in the pouring rain, felt fab rather than the heat.

YTD 749 miles.
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Definately moving more freely. 4.5 to add

Ytd: 785.9 (Aug 64.8)
  • Options
    Jeffed my local parkrun this morning - this time 4 run/1 walk. Hopefully I've not overdone it.

YTD: 858
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks MrC...an 'easy 18' at this stage sounds like you've got things under control!? (If they ever are in marathon prep...)

Thanks Donnie... Yes...just being by the coast is enough to make me feel refreshed. Glad to hear that you're moving better now.

Well done Cal...Hope this is 'one small step.....' !

Another 7 miles today. Made the mistake of leaving it so late that I had the setting sun in my eyes for a couple of miles. (Not complaining about the sun!!!) Just can't seem to run safely with my dark glasses on, so I leave them off!

YTD: 1028' .
  • Options
    JackFWJackFW ✭✭✭
    Congrats to MrM2 on reaching the 1000 milestone. Massive effort and impressive given you have achieved it well before the end of the year. I don’t think I have ever felt that good that I have wanted to go out for a second run in the same day!

It’s good to see you back on the running track, Cal. Take it easy and build slow. The only thing worse than an injury is an aggravation or re-injury shortly after because you didn’t hold back enough. Good luck!

Donnie, glad to hear you are on the improve. It seems that our respective marathons are on the same weekend in mid October, and MrC is also lacing up for one in October (which one, MrC?).

I did a 4 mile midweek morning run from home to work which is a regular route, followed by a 10 mile slower run on Sunday morning. That’s my biggest run since my injury. Hoping to build on it and go the next level next weekend.

YTD - 660 miles
  • Options
    I get that a lot on winter mornings, MrM2, with the low sun. I guess nights are starting to get a bit longer - it was still dark at 5am when I woke up.
    That's promising, Jack, I hope you don't get any more issues.
    Speaking of, upped my intervals today to 6 mins run/1 walk for a little over 4 miles. No major pains. Feel unfit though. I'm still hoping I can do Ealing half in 5 weeks but, uh...

YTD: 862
  • Options
    I've not really been noticing what I'm doing recently, we had a sailing Nationals to organise last week but managed to wedge in a social run with Run Wales relay baton and volunteering at our own parkrun (126 runners/walkers this week).
    Well done of the 1000 mile MrM2 
    603 miles YTD