Options

1000 miles in 2023

Comments

• Options
    Jack, I'm gutted for you mate. I had to drop out of Valencia a few years back due to an awful cold (I felt too ill to fly, let alone run) so I sympathise. But there will be other races. Hope you recover well with no ill effects.

14 today - calves not as trashed as I thought. Still, felt like quite a long way. Alton half in two weeks.

YTD: 1128
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    JackFW: Disappointed for you although probably the right decision. I had one borderline 'Am I well enough to run' occasion, I went with doing the event, it was a mistake. I hated it, it really 'knocked up me' and put me off running for a while. I love going out for a jog / run, its frequently the highlight of my day, so thinking I was at a point where I didn't want to go, was hard to believe.

Alehouse: Great to hit the 1000 mile target for another year. Well done. 

Been a quite few days - four without a run - due to visiting MiL and rainy weather, but 5 miles to add from Thurs of last week. Out tonight after work - 5:30pm 'ish for my start but will be the first run in the dark this year.

Ytd: 1088.0 (oct 110.5)
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    JackFW... Sorry about your need to opt out of the marathon. But right call; there are many marathons and only one Jack! And as Donnie says, a bad experience can do much harm.

Cal.. Strange choice of parkrun... Well done.  And then a 14 miler! Hope you can prepare well for your Half, coming up soon.

Donnie... not a fan of running in the dark! But I do have a choice.

Yesterday I varied my 8 mile run, and I repeated it today (4 mins faster...) Lovely running weather. (Still in shorts, but long sleeves now.)

YTD: 1357' .
  • Options
    JackFWJackFW ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the support everyone. Really appreciate it.

It’s great to hear you are all still hitting the pavement regularly.

A nice 6 mile run in cold sunny conditions this morning. Onwards and upwards!

YTD - 842m (it’s going to be touch and go!)
  • Options
    MrM2 - not really - I mean I wanted to do the hardest parkrun, much like Edmund Hillary wanted to climb Everest rather than just potter about on the South Downs or something.
    Glad you're back on your feet, Jack.
    5 miles today. A few niggles but nothing I can't handle.

YTD: 1133
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Just a 'comfortable' 5 miles this afternoon. (Should have been a rest day but I've had a look at the weather forecast.....)
    And today I celebrate 9 years of post-AF running. (My heart procedure was a catheter-ablation to sort out Atrial Flutter.)

YTD: 1362' .
  • Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    Jack feel for you after all the work you put in, makes me grateful I got COVID 4 weeks out and had time to recover!

6 miles today with a speedier 3 miles in the middle, thought I needed to get the legs shifting again after 2 weeks of plodding 😁

YTD 1074 miles
  • Options
    I did another 5 today. Would've been more but it was windy and raining, so sod that. I did include some strides though.

YTD: 1138
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Dark nights. Although providing its dry I don't might running on Autumn nights. 5 each on Mon and Tuesday. Started November with 6.3, tried to add some speed, but as Mr C has said, after my October marathon I'm good at plodding, and can plod for a reasonably long time, but seem to have lost any sense of speed.

Ytd: 1104.3 (Oct ended with 120.5 and Nov starts with 6.3)

• Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    Wet wet on the usual trail run so stuck to the roads today with a 12 miler.

YTD 1086 miles.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Added another 8 miles this afternoon. After two non-running days there was still a tiredness in my running. (Did someone mention 'plodding'?  Me too...?)

YTD: 1370' .
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    7.2 last night in the gathering gloom and a muddy park run this morning. 

Ytd: 1114.6 (Oct ended with 130.8 Nov 16.6)

• Options
    Stayed in Thursday - I wasn't about to do battle with Ciaran - but got out for a nice 6 on Friday. Felt good, so I was surprised to get a really grumpy groin at parkrun on Saturday. I couldn't be bothered with travelling in the rain so just went up the road to Tooting, but there was a lot of standing water there and I think maybe lifting my knees higher to go through the wet bits might've caused the groin issue. 
    I was rather concerned as I was running Regents Park 10K today (as a warm up for the Alton Towers half next week) and there was some soreness but once I got going I did pretty well. It was three laps and managed to get quicker with each one, though I didn't push myself to the limit, unsurprisingly. 57:36.

YTD: 1153
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Just dropping in to say, Well Done! to Cal.
    Three consec. days of running, and coming up with a respectable 10k result!  Should give you some confidence for next week's Half! All the best.

(Unintended rest day for me. Looked great for an hour's run this afternoon but Mrs.M wasn't strong enough to leave alone. )
  • Options
    JackFWJackFW ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the Alton Towers half this week, Cal. Hope you have an enjoyable experience. Let us know how you get on.

As the weather is turning for you all, it is improving down here. A very nice 32 degrees today.

It was Melbourne Cup long weekend and I used the extra time to do two half marathons on Saturday and Tuesday respectively. I have pulled up well afterwards, except for a nasty blister on the right foot.

YTD - 875m
  • Options
    Worst sort of run last night. Had to squeeze it in after work and before an after work, but still work, event, then during the run got caught in a heavy downpour. Got soaked and cold. I really hate running in the rain. 5 to add making 

Ytd: 1121.6 (nov 21.6)
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    JackFW...Well done on your two half marathons! Sorry about the blister.

Donnie... Character building? (There must be something you can take from that 5'?)

A few challenging days at home so it was good to get out for an 8 mile run in the last light, today. Couldn't seem to get the body functioning properly, but still happy to be 'ticking over'.

YTD:1378' .
  • Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    A bit of a speed workout this morning 3 x1 mile at 5K pace with a 90s float.
    Forgot how enjoyable speed workouts can be 😊.

YTD 1104 miles.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Just a 4 mile, mixed-pace run this afternoon. (Not bold enough to call it 'speed-work' like you MrC! and certainly not as structured.)
    (You are nicely over the 1100' now!)

YTD: 1382' .

• Options
    JackFWJackFW ✭✭✭
    MrM2, I was going to say the same thing to Donnie - “character building” is running in bad weather!

I logged a 6 mile run this morning to work, after one too many pints of Guinness last night at the pub.

YTD - 881m
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Hi, I only decided to months ago I might make this
    I've got 207 to go, give it my best stab! 
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Wow some of you have smashed it already
  • Options
    Good to see you Wabo! Go for it! 

Today's hour gives me

YTD 1051 miles. 

About 330 km needed for 2023 km in 2023, so 205 miles needed! Will be touch and go for me as well!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Welcome to the challenge Wabo.

A 11 miler today but decided to throw in some hills and ended up with 825 feet of elevation gained. My hamstrings certainly felt it at the end!

YTD 1115 miles
  • Options
    Welcome Wabo, the more the merrier.

Quiet week for me as I've been nursing my iffy groin. I tried a short run on Wednesday but decided 2 miles was enough as groin was grumpy (plus it was wet and windy). Had another full rest yesterday and then did a 2 mile shakeout this morning. It was less bad. I'll be alright for the parkrun and race this weekend but will take some painkillers with me. 

YTD: 1159
  • Options
    Wabo - I'm all in favour of more posters, welcome along and be a regular in 2024.

Cal: Go well this weekend. 

Two runs to report, a squeezed in 5 as OH needed collecting from the station and I wanted to avoid an excessively late tea and a pleasant cold 7.2 last night in an hour.

Got an email saying the Doncaster 10K (last Sunday in Nov) was down to the last 50 places - it worked, I've entered, interestingly this will be only my third paid for event in 2023. 

Ytd: 1144.7 (Nov 33.8) - figures are now correct, error came at the end of Oct.

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    thanks for the welcomes all, I will go for more next year I hope but post here.. I have definitely increased over the course of the year due to reducing my days.
  • Options
    Opted for Oldham parkrun today on the basis that it was the last muddy of the Manchester area parkruns I'd not yet run. Rather nice, it turned out although I didn't push myself as I'm racing tomorrow.

YTD: 1162
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    I need 196 miles now, it will be tough
  • Options
     4 miles a day, Wabo! I need pretty much the same. Keep on keeping on!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.