Options

1000 miles in 2023

Comments

• Options
    JackFWJackFW ✭✭✭
    For the first time in a while, I’ve strung together 3 consecutive days of running: 5m, 5m and 6m over the weekend and today.

Feel good.

YTD - 898m
  • Options
    JackFWJackFW ✭✭✭
    Today I have officially received the news that I have qualified for my 56km trail run in January.
  • Options
    Sorry, not been feeling it for a couple of week...couple of family issues took over my head. Better now.
    Welcome Wabo, we're both just the wrong side of the 1000 but we'll get there.
    We'll done to all passing 1000 while I was wasn't concentrating. 
    My daughter ran Alton Towers 10k...furthest she's run...very proud of her & well done Cal, on that one.
    I actually ran our own parkrun for the first time...24:04...seems to be my pace at the moment. 
    875 miles YTD 
    84,202 ft elevation 
  • Options
    Hobie: Great to see you again, I was getting slightly worried. 

Only my parkrun from Saturday to add, lets just sop for a moment to think about parkrun, on Saturday nearly 300 people run twice about Sandall Park in Doncaster at 9am. That is truly wonderful and actually pretty amazing. Not 'runners' or sports people or competitors, but young, old, mums with prams, people from the 'fit rovers' group, fat people, thin people, all sorts. Its staggering when you think about it. 

Ytd: 1147.8 (Nov 36.9) 
  • Options
    You'll both get it done.
    Did Alton Towers Half for the third time, but it was cold and drizzly. I don't know if it was the weather but I just couldn't get the legs working and finished even slower than last year when I ran with a cold. Nice medal though.

YTD: 1175
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    With a lap-top issue, and some testing days at home, I've been absent for a while. 

Belated Welcome! to Wabo! Interesting that you have Alehouse for company, to see you through your 2023 distances. All the best!

Donnie... Not long 'til your Doncaster 10k....Any goals? Agree with you about parkrun; it certainly attracts a great cross-section!

Cal... Another busy wk-end; Oldham parkrun and Alton Towers Half! Well done!

Jack... What did you need to do, to 'qualify'? And what will the trail look like? Presumably not the mud and roots that we often think of in UK? You should feel fairly well prepared having got ready for the marathon?

Hobie...Well done to daughter on her 10k! Hope that you are managing your 'issues' . I know a thing or two about 'issues'; can't avoid them, but we sometimes have a choice as to how we handle them. All the best!

We had a daughter WFH at our place, today, so I was able to get out for a 4' run. Very windy, so, pleased to come home in just under 40mins..

Anyone seen Harmander?  (He's probably ready to start on 2024.....)

YTD: 1386' .
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Cal: well done on the alton towers half. Hope you got to enjoy the rides later in the day. 

Mr MM: you asked about the Doncaster 10k. It's a 3000 field on closed roads, it's flat and definately a quick course. Hard to judge time expectations. My parkrun is typically about 24 mins and I tend to be strong in the second half so 48 ish should be on. However I regularly run a 5 mile route and at the moment I'm hitting 41ish for that. I'll take sub 50. 

Out tonight in probably the windiest conditions I've run in. Met office had gusts at 52 mph. 7.2 in 63 mins. Happy enough but conditions made it hard to find any rhythm. Covered a fair bit of the Doncaster 10k route. 

Ytd: 1155.0 (Nov 44.1)
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    I did exactly 4 yesterday ale! 
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    I wouldn't even entertain going out in that, Donnie. Gusts scare me.

3 miles today - just getting the legs moving again. A few aches and pains.
    I've signed up for Amsterdam Marathon - it'll be my second race abroad.

YTD: 1178
  • Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    Cal Well done on the Alton half, really poor weather on Sunday so you did well getting around in those miserable conditions.

Definitely time to get out the long sleeves again.

Really nice weather here this morning clear blue sky but a bit chilly to log another 8 miles to go with the 6+6 from Mon and Tuesday.

YTD 1135 miles
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Donnie... Thanks for the info.. 5min/km pace should be achievable...

Cal... Envious? Yes...Amsterdam next year!

Another 4 miles, today. Looking forward to a longer run, soon.

YTD: 1390' .
  • Options
    A reasonable week so far in my attempts to get to 2023kms for 2023. 

172 miles needed, so around 3.8 miles a day. Hope you are managing similar, Wabo!

YTD 1085 miles.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Managed 10 miles today, as daughter was WFH.

YTD: 1400' .
  • Options
    Well done on the 1400, MrM2. I reckon you've got us all beat.
    6 mile plod Wednesday and 4 today. 

YTD: 1188
  • Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    MrM2 congrats on passing 1400, don’t know how you keep churning out those sort of numbers 😊. I would definitely end up injured.

13 miles today along the railway and canal path, didn’t realise how much you slow down on muddy trails.

YTD 1148 miles
  • Options
    Mr MM: congrats on 1400. Its a great effort. You've hinted at some challenging domestic circumstances, I hope the running allows you an escape which we all need at times. Time on my own is one of the main reasons I run. 

I've 5.0 and 7.2 to add. Both similar, early evening runs, gathering gloom, local streets, dry and mild. I enjoyed them. With the Doncaster 10k in 9 days, I tried to be a bit quicker, I wasn't!

Ytd: 1167.2.0 (Nov 56.3)

• Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Cal...Thanks. You're closing in on 1200' and you've had a lot of 'negatives' to contend with this year. (Plod?...me too!)

MrC... Thanks. Well done on today's 13' .

Donnie... Thanks. Hope you are feeling positive ahead of your 10k!

Yes; it's not always possible to get out but I love it when I can. Caring for MrsM full time as her MSA (Multiple System Atrophy) takes away more and more of her 'normal' . There is very little that she can do for herself. (Think 'little one'; fed? watered? rested? clean nappy? in a safe position where she can't fall?... before I'm happy to go out for a run...with her approval!) Sadly, she spent a couple of hours on the floor, two days ago, as I was unable to hold her weight when her strength failed her, just as she was transferring from shower stool to wheel-chair. (A gentle slide rather than a fall.) But the ambulance team were great with her. Well, you get the picture...

A very slow 7 miles today, in wonderful sunshine!

YTD: 1407' .
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Mr MM: that's a very difficult situation. Unless someone has been in a similar situation, which I haven't, it's hard to imagine how you deal with the emotional and physical demands. If running helps, I hope you can keep getting out and about. 

10k in 26th Nov. As you say, 5 min per km should be possible. I've been out tonight, made an effort to push myself, did 7.1 at 5.08 per km. Hopefully on the day, running with others and in daylight will shave a few seconds off each km. 

Ytd: 1174.23 (nov 63.4)
  • Options
    That's tough, MrM2. My mother lost her mobility like that, along with her speech (she could say yes and no, only) following a stroke. Do you have carers to help?
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    I'm at 830
    So I think the 4 a day is still good
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    A muddy, relatively slow parkrun to add. 

Ytd: 1177.3 (Nov 66.5)
  • Options
    Which was that, Donnie? I've been avoiding mud as much as I can, it isn't my friend. Yesterday was a repeat of Victoria Dock as I was meeting some friends from the Midlands there. It was different to the original course with a lot more hairpin turns. Just about scraped in under 28 seconds despite going all out.

10 miles today - neg split run. Felt tough. I have a lot of work to do here.

YTD: 1201
  • Options
    And I thought Victoria Dock was supposed to be quick, Cal; sounds like the new course is far from it. 

South Manchester for me which, despite the alternative course, was a good paddle for a long stretch or two on each lap. Was pleased to actually toe the line for the first time since August, and even more pleased with 24:25 (I got 24:20 unofficially) for the 5.05k, with alternative courses having to be longer than the original!

A good week in my pursuit of 2023k in 2023: over 50k for the fist time since February's COVID, and now need to average 6.15km a day (3.8 miles I think). 

How has your week gone, Wabo?

YTD: 1096 miles (1764 km)
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    I remember standing water there last time I ran it, alehouse - that was on the old course but I guess it's the same path. Had to jog back to Hulme with wet feet. Good time though. 
  • Options
    Been a while since I last popped my head in here apols... 

YTD 1564 miles / 2518 km 

Training massively consistent, improvements being shown through everything but my racing at the minute is appauling. I should be smashing my PBs based on current session stats but come race day it all falls apart ! Battersea HM the latest failure... 

Anyhow next marathon blocks starts now and at least the weather seems to be clearing up. I can handle the cold but cold & rain can do one ! 
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Donnie... Thanks. Yes, running really helps! Not long before we read that sub-50 report?!

Cal...Looked like a respectable parkrun, and that10 miles takes you over the 1200'! Well done!
    So, you've a good understanding of 'disability'! Yes, it is tough, and every day is a challenge. (No additional carers at the moment but situation is under review...)

Alehouse...Looking good for that target distance. Well done on the sub-25 parkrun!

Dangeroushamster...Sorry about the race-day disappointments. You are certainly putting in the miles! It's not an easy time of year to start your marathon prep.. Are you going by a 'plan'? How many weeks are there before your event?

Got out for a 'split' 10 miles this afternoon. (7+3). Again, the perceived effort should have had me home a couple of minutes earlier. (Kept mainly to 3-3 breathing for 7 miles, then a mix for the additional 3') O'all pace for the 10' was 10:58/mile.

Time we heard from Harmander.....?

YTD: 1417' .
  • Options
    MrM2 - unfortunately, I do. Both parents had strokes. Dad was first. His speech was OK but like a lot of older stroke patients he lost much of the use of one side (his right, which was his dominant side). Mum was a few years later and it got her a lot worse, with the aphasia. Initially she was able to shuffle around OK but the doctors decided to fix the leaky heart valve (which had indirectly caused the stroke) and I think the surgery was too much for her at that point because she went downhill after that and was eventually bedridden. They both died ten years ago, 4 months apart.
    I hope Harmander is OK. He's had a lot to deal with.

DH, I don't mind cold and I can even deal with rain but not when it's accompanied by wind. I hate that more than anything. Well, except for ice. That stops me from running at all. 

5 miles today, and felt better than expected (probably because I slept longer than usual).

YTD: 1206
  • Options
    Mr MM: hope to report sub 50 for my 10k come Monday morning. However minor injury scare. Bit of a long story but loaded some wooden pallets into the car last night and did 'something' to my back. Absolutely fine at all times other than during a gentle jog yesterday evening. One for older readers, in a Larry Grayson style, 'it's all down my left hand side'. Let's see how tonight goes. 

5 to add which were a bit of a struggle. 

Ytd: 1182.3 (Nov 71.5)
  • Options
    Been there done that, Donnie - usually wears off fairly quickly although when I tweaked one side of my back doing cleans in the gym a year ago, I needed a month off.
  • Options
    JackFWJackFW ✭✭✭
    Congrats to Cal on the Alton half. I would love to do Amsterdam one day. One of my favourite cities.

Donnie, hope the back pulls up okay. Stay tough mate.

MrM2, the only qualification criteria for the ultra was to have completed a marathon under 4:30 in the last 12 months. There will be plenty of roots, hopefully no snakes!!!

Wabo, you can do it mate. Don’t give up!

Great to see everyone still plugging away. It’s a real inspiration to lace up the running shoes this morning.

YTD - 921m