Options

1000 miles in 2023

Comments

• Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Thanks Cal... Yes, I was pleased with the pace, over that distance. It would suggest that I ought to be a bit faster on my shorter runs, but it never seems to happen!? 
    Well done for getting out after your busy week-end.

May be able to get out tomorrow before the rain arrives. Not inviting weather at the moment, and MrsM is having a hard time, and our lady, neighbour died on Sunday; the day before we got back to Oxfordshire, leaving a distraught husband. Some days are just hard!

Hope all our other week-end racers are recovering well.
  • Options
    Wanting to wish everyone a good race, whatever distance on Sunday.

I myself have been persuaded to not pull out of the Toronto Waterfront Marathon by my family.  It will not be my best finishing time there (4:29) but I genuinely feel do not feel like doing it in future years having done it every year (apart from COVID years) since 2003.

Going tomorrow morning with my brother who said he will wait for me at the nearest English pub (being a copper he found Scotland Yard pub nearby).

My YTD has just crept over 1700 miles (1709.65 to be exact)
  • Options
    Not sure why my message from Wednesday did not get posted but am back now having completed the race in 6:06 - about 21 minutes faster than last year when I had Covid.

I was struggling at times but imagined my daughter was running beside me and it made the run easier.

• Options
    Harmander, well done on your run, I'm sure your daughter is beside you all the way, best wishes. And congrats on passing 1700 miles, an amazing number of miles in this difficult year for you, hopefully running has helped you through this one.
    I seem to have entered Cardiff Half next year, I'm not a huge fan of flat courses but the atmosphere on this one is worth it.
    817 miles YTD (determined to get to 1000 despite a year of dodgy knee)
    7,990 ft elevation
  • Options
    Well done all the marathoners, I’m def out of marathon shape as proved by my first run of the month this morning, a slow 5k. Still hot, was 32 degrees at 8am.

YTD 697.27 miles 
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Dubai... Good to see you picking it up again!

Harmander...Congrats on finishing another Toronto Waterfront Marathon! And stand-out totals as normal, in anything but a 'normal' year! Well done!

Got out (almost) between showers today and ran in circles for 4 miles. (Rather like an indoor track, for distance, but on a local road, with occasional vehicles...)

YTD: 1295' .
  • Options
    Harmander, huge effort (and well done on the 1700). Sometimes we just have to get out and run for those who no longer can.

Hobie, when is it next year?

Did nothing at all yesterday but had a decent 8 miler today including 5 x a 1 mile hill loop (not too steep but long).

YTD: 1078
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Harmander: it's obviously a really tough time. Hopefully you can find a way forward. Hope you found the Toronto marathon a comforting and positive experience. 

Some post marathon jogging this week, 5, 5 and 5.1. Work and family stuff now means 4 non running days. 

Ytd: 1071.6 (oct 94.1)
  • Options
    Cal, Cardiff Half is on 6th October next year, it's one of the few road races I really enjoy, such a good atmosphere....also a big club outing for us.
    I was out last night working on a route for a local fun run that is being organised for a local lady who's just been diagnosed with a brain tumour...bit of a shocker so anything we can do to help her and her family. Found a nice route starting at the local pub and finishes exactly at 5k through a stream on the beach in front of the pub.
    825 miles
    79,747 ft elevation
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Less rain than expected, today. So, able to get out for a 9 mile run. Not my normal route, but needed to avoid muddy lakes! Running conditions were good but I couldn't get moving. It was nine miles of effort, with not a lot to show for it! Still, got to be happy that I can still get out for a run.

YTD: 1304' .
  • Options
    3 miles to add - I splashed out on a train to Oxford to do University Parks, purely because it features no grass (I spent some time looking for a train-accessible parkrun I could do that wasn't likely to be muddy, and it was this or Whitstable. The latter was on the coast and looked wetter and windier, so went with Oxford and the rain held off. 27:55 - would've been around 27:30 if I hadn't had to wait around 25 seconds to actually move. It's a busy one.

YTD: 1081
  • Options
    13 today - got Alton Towers half in three weeks so included some hills. Gripey stomach as well as some niggles but got it done.

YTD: 1094
  • Options
    Time I popped in!

A particular well done to Harmander in Toronto. A tough day, and I don't mean the running. 

Congratulations to the marathoners and to those who have edged over the 1000 mile mark. 

Wasn't well for a couple of weeks with gastroenteritis or similar, and then something else that I thought was Covid but wasn't. Just a mile or so or day although seem better now and managed 11k today. Should bring up the thousand this week:

YTD 983.5
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    A lot of people seem to have had this faux covid, alehouse. Glad you're feeling better.
    Any recommendations for a dry (ie not grass/dirt) parkrun - I'm up in about three weeks. Done all the city centre ones - I think the only one on the tram I've got left is Wythenshawe but I think that's grassy. Not sure about the ones around Stockport. Maybe Chadderton Hall (if I can get Colin to drive me) but I've heard that one is a bit on the hilly side. 
  • Options
    Will get back to you, Cal. I note that there is a new one, Clarence,  in Bury. Know nothing about it apart from easy to get to on the metro!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    It's very muddy, alehouse. Will be leaving it for summer. 
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Cal... Well done on the 13' !

Alehouse... Hope you are properly over your health issues, and that you can sail past that 1000' mark this week!

A busy week-end with family visiting from Berlin, so didn't dare chance a run!!!
    So, happy to get out today for a slow 10 miles (Wanted to run 14 or 15 but things were not going well, so settled for 10')

YTD : 1314' .
  • Options
    You've family in Berlin? Have you done the marathon there?

Easy 5 today. 

YTD: 1099 (Should've done 6 eh?)
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Cal... Not been to Berlin. (Family has been in a variety of locations; China, Philippines and now Germany.)     Yes. Why would you stop at 1099?!

Great running weather, so got out for 4 miles, calling it a 'pre-stretch warm-up' but went for a goal of 10min/mile pace. (9:59 will do nicely!) and always feel good if I do a full set of stretches.

YTD: 1318' .
  • Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Cal I would definitely recommend Amsterdam, ask MrM2 he has run it 3 times so can’t be that bad 😊 plus for you it will be as easy to get to than some of the events up North.

No running last week decided to rest post marathon and did recovery on the stationary bike.
    5,5 and 6 easy miles this week

YTD 1046 miles.
  • Options
    MrM2 - because I wasn't thinking in terms of annual total. But never mind, all rectified now. Good pace on your run.
    MrC, very sensible. :)

7 miles today including 4 x around the hill loop I did last week (only in the reverse direction). Got up to 9:09 on the last mile of that (before I did a cool down mile) - amazing to think I ran a whole marathon at that pace four years ago...now I can just about manage a parkrun.

YTD: 1106
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Never enjoy a run when the feeling is that I'm squeezing it in. That's been the case on the last two evenings. Nevertheless two runs, 5.1 and 6.3 in still, damp autumnal conditions. 

Ytd: 1083.0 (oct 105.5)
  • Options
    Done. Thanks for the support!

YTD: 1001 miles
  • Options
    Yay congrats alehouse!
    Donnie, will be even darker next week.

5 today - 4 mile easy plod, then gym, then jogged a mile home.

YTD: 1111
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Alehouse... Well done on passing 1000'

Me too for a 'plod'! Wasn't meant to be like that but the body had made its mind up, and it wasn't about to go for a 'steady' 14' ! However, I can be just as determined, and it was a case of, 'I've started so I'll finish!' .

YTD: 1332' .
  • Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    Alehouse well done on passing the 1000 mark 👏

Easy 9 miler today.

YTD 1055 miles.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Lovely running weather, today; even the threatened 'light shower' didn't show up.
    So, 9 miles, looking to average something close to 10min/mile pace. Managed for the first 5 or 6 miles, then lost a minute on the undulations, over 2 or 3 miles, so 10:07.
    Not sure why the 10 min/mile pace is something of a barrier these days. However, today's run gives a 69% age grade.  Happy.

YTD: 1341' .
  • Options
    Today's parkrun was what is widely regarded as the hardest in the country, Great Yarmouth North Beach, because it's entirely on sand. And it was very hard to run on, at least for me. The regulars must have calves like bowling balls. I did 37:36, which is my slowest non-walking parkrun (I think I've even jeffed one or two quicker than that). But it was a lovely day.

YTD: 1114
  • Options
    JackFWJackFW ✭✭✭
    Congrats to Alehouse on the 1000 milestone.

A further shout out to MrC (a great first time), Donnie (brutal missing out on 4hr, but a great effort nonetheless) and Harmander (your daughter would have been proud of you) for your Marathon efforts.

Unfortunately, it was not meant to be for me at the Melbourne Marathon which would have been my second Marathon. I did all the training, including a 36km on the weekend prior, but I contracted Covid on the Tuesday before the race and didn’t feel great with some mild cold like symptoms. So I pulled out which was frustrating, especially given the route goes through my local area. I did drop down there to surprise a mate to cheer her on which she was stoked about.

Anyway, the fire is now burning more deeply within than before and I am mindful that I do not want to lose any of this Marathon training. So I have signed up for my first Ultra trail run in January, the Two Bays 56km on the Mornington Peninsula which takes you from Western Port to Port Phillip Bay and back climbing Arthur’s Seat twice (1000 feet). I’m equally excited and petrified.

YTD - 836m
  • Options
    JackFWJackFW ✭✭✭
    Cal, running on the beach is fantastic if you have the right sand and hardness, but it is hard work and I avoid it at all costs!

Those who do it are justifiably rewarded, however.