Options

Tracey Morris

Comments

• Options
    Didn't consider the cardio machines. I'd have thought of gym sessions as supplementary to running rather than x-training. I suppose if you consider x-training as combining alternative "activities" then it is.
  • Options
    Speed work is definitely more destructive than steady running so needs to be introduced progressively so the body adapts. A good warm up is essential before doing a hard speed session to reduce the risks. You only have to look at ultra runners who seldom get injured and do loads of marathons and ultra events week in week out. I remember Hilary Walker, who had various world bests from 100km upwards came out to the Swiss Alpine Marathon with me to run the 78km mountain race as a warm up for the world 100km in Belgium a couple of weeks later...she also ran metronomic 3.10 marathons in between.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback further up Mike, I duly informed the missus that I had received a training tip from a former London Marathon winner and she looked suitably impressed.

Then I told her about the need to push myself to the limit to explore previously untapped potential and PBs, and she didn't look quite so happy about that one. Quelle surprise!!!

On the subject of speedwork, I am never quite sure how much recovery time to allow between intervals such as 10x400m. ie I have read that the recovery jog should be anything between 100m up to 400m in between each fast lap. I see you mentioned a recovery of 200m, is that what you favour as a matter of course? And should the recovery period increase pro rata as the intervals get longer eg, 800m reps would have a 400m recovery etc etc.

Any tips much appreciated, it's something that has been exercising the mind this morning, along with how I am going to get tickets to watch the Hammers in the play-off final. Neither issue is resoved yet.

• Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    I'm sure MG will post a suitable reply to the recovery interval length but I had formed the impression that it depended on the point of the session.

If VO2 max work then the object is to get up to a high heart rate from a low one in a very short space of time. (i.e. the rate of change will result in the desired VO2 enhancing effect). Therefore a long interval to get right back to jog/walk HR and use up all lactate overproduction.

If lactate re-use/tolerance work, then a shorter interval so you are getting accustomed to working with the extra lactate in your system.

So in other words, it depends... [and I'd like to know if I'm talking rubbish!]
  • Options
    Pretty much OK Chaos. For most distance runners the point of speed work is to develop sustainable speed so the number of reps. should be high and the recovery short 30sec to 1 min - but the speed of the efforts moderate - usually 5km pace.

As peak fitnes comes along or for 10k-3k training then the number of reps would reduce, pace increase to mile speed and the length of recovery longer, say 200m jog or 2 to 3 mins.

For lactate buffering - still valid for endurance runners, sessions need to be top speed, recovery full and not many reps can be achieved. One session I did for track preparation (I had 50 sec 400 speed as a junior & was English Schools 5,000m champion), was 3 sets of 3 x 150m flat out with 50m jog between 150's and 500m walk jog between sets.
  • Options
    Spud, have been trying to e-mail you but it is bouncing back to me - can you send me an e-mail to mike@209eventsc.com and I will try again.

Close to setting up a hard training forum thread after my meeting with Sean at RW yesterday.
  • Options
    Hi mike. Pleased to hear things are progressing with RW. Can you just confirm what role i will play please? After sending you the e-mail i have not recieved anything from you. I dont think i mentioned my objectives for this season so i will now:-

Would like to be running 1:56's for 800, close to 4:00's for 1500, 8:50 for 3k and 9:45 for 3km S/C before September, thenn turn my summer form into a good x-country season and possibly get a top 6 place in the Yorkshire Championships (U20's) and run in the nationals with Yorkshire.

What sort of hard training have you been looking at putting together? Iv been working closely along the path of what Lydiard did with his Finish runners such as Viren, although i probably do alot less on my longer runs but do more quality sessions at the club.

Cheers, Martin.

P.S. My e-mail is west_ham_fan@postmaster.co.uk if you want to mail me direct.
  • Options
    Hi Stifler, sorry it was your e-mail that keeps bouncing back not spud, who must now be confused? The e-mail today is:

I had a meeting with Sean at RW yesterday and we propose setting up a pod with the 5 guinea pigs from the Tracey Morris thread which will have a short profile from the info you sent me, the sample weeks training you sent, your targets and a brief note with my broad observations. Then we will link to a new forum thread to be called Hard Training on the Training zone where I will put up suggested training for you for the next week, you can then respond by letting me know planned races, how it’s going etc., via the forum, that way everyone will see the interaction and hopefully pick bits of info up from it and ask their own questions.

If you’re agreeable to this open scrutiny of your running life let me know, also if you want to be known by your name or your forum id on the pod and can you send Sean a picture of yourself (sean.fishpool@rodale.co.uk).

By the way, if you're not doing the long runs but mostly quality track then you're not following Lydiards principles, which had Olympic Champion Peter Snell doing 20 mile runs for 800 & 1500m. Viren did loads of winter base training at high altitude in the Andes - there's a very good film of his build up to the 76 Olympics when he won the 5,000, 10,000 and finished 7th (I think - someone should check his marathon position) in the marathon.

• Options
    MG II. - Just out of interest, do you plan to advise the guinea pigs on training without having seen them running/performing? If so how do you make sure they are doing the right training?
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Going back to predictive tables (of times you could achieve)
    Surely if such a table said you could run 10k in 35 minutes isn't that posing a limit on yourself, you might think you can't run any faster than that, whereas you could run much faster.
    Just my 2p's worth
  • Options
    Viren came 5th in the 1976 Olympic Marathon

Reported to have done 8 consecutive weeks of over 200 miles at altitude in his base period.

Enjoy, Stifler :-)
  • Options
    Cor
    i think you are all brave
    There wont be any days off because of CBA, ooh no, not when its public
  • Options
    URR, that will be part of the challenge....to see if internet coaching can really work - I've never tried it, always coached people I can see and talk to. But if the guine pigs are up for the risk and it generates dialogue it should be interesting. It will all depend on the quality of the feed back, my style is not to write out Sun, Mon, Tue with set sessions, everyone I have coached has built a programme that works for them from ideas and ingredients we discuss. I suppose it is a step up from the printed programmes in the mag. which by definition can't be interactive.

That's my opnion of predictive charts as well, I would have stuck at being a good runner if I believed the projections based on my pbs. Instead I really believed I was suited to the marathon and could achieve comparitively better performances in that than at 10km or half marathon.

Martin Mccarthy, who ran for Oxford City in the 80's ran in the LM I won and set PB's at 10miles, half marathon & 20 miles on the way to running 2.13 - some times you just have to go for it....it doesn't always work though, the marathon I did before finishing 3rd in LM in 82 in 2.12 was a 2.24, having reached half way in 66 mins....leave you to imagine how the last 6 miles felt!

Viren was an all time great athlete for me - same generation as Dave Bedford who ran 200 mile weeks, and Brendan Foster who ran regular 120 mile weeks for 5,000m races.
  • Options
    Ok, cheers mike. Il get some photo's scanned and send them to Sean. Is there a possibility of this programme appearing in RW mag and showing what each of us did and what we experienced. i think it would be a very good inclusion to the mag showing a range of runners each with different goals and how we did in races and how we felt the training went etc.
  • Options
    200 miles a week!?!

I'm off to hide under my couch.
  • Options
    After your 4mile run i hope dodge?? That will take you to the dizzy heights of 26 for the week!!!

: )
  • Options
    11miles today Stif (2X5.5 split by an hours swim) and my miles for this week'll be about 56 miles.

So quite close :)
  • Options
    Your doing more than me dodgy baby!!!

Iv done about 45 ish because iv been racing alot and having hard track sessions on tuesdays and thursdays (approx 2.5 miles of running-hard)
  • Options
    Dodge
    why dont you ever post on training
  • Options
    Because he's a liar???

And scared of unfamiliar territory......like baths/showers etc.

; )
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Mike, did you get my e-mail? I'm having problems with my computer and sometimes it works other times not! New one should be here soon, thank goodness.

Anyway, I've been suffering injury for a couple of weeks and so have reduced my running for it to heal. I've been having physio and ultrasound twice a week and today she said I'm ok to get back into it proper. I've only run twice this week, but I've done 60 miles of cycling and 2 miles of swimming-triathlon on Sunday. Then next week I'm looking to pick up where I was before injury.

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Do you do triathlon Dodge?
  • Options
    I think I have posted on Training but not very often tis true. Don't know why, probably don't want to embarrass youngstars like Stif. Just get a load of his excuses and attempts to "rubbish" my efforts. How low can he go?

:(
  • Options
    Hi Hilly, I'm out of the office at the moment but got the e-mail OK.

Getting stuff in mag won't be down to me, but you never know Stifler - lets see how this exercise progresses and maybe the editor can be persuaded to do something.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Lurking

Agree with what MG says about ultra runners and marathon junkies appearing never to be injured as many or them never, or rarely, do speedwork. In the ten years since I started doing marathons and ultras, i've only missed 2 races and that was due to a trauma injury (sprained ankle). I do on the odd occasion do mile reps and 400m reps, but not often. I've had niggles but have just run through them.

look forward to following your training hilly & Spud.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    That's good Mike, which means Sean at RW should have got the picture I sent then.

SHADES-I believe that some runners are just cut out to do lots of marathons and ultra's while others like me find 2 a year the most they could cope with! You must have Duracell bateries while I must have Eveready!:o)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    hilly - but I expect when you run a marathon you give it 100%, I always hold back and save a bit of myself - don't know why really except I want to enjoy the event and finish in reasonable shape and I know that there's probably not long until the next one.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Yes, Shades I suppose I do go as hard as my body will allow. Although apart from 2 of my 6 marathons I've felt I could've run further, but not faster!

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    hilly - perhaps you should think about doing an ultra sometime then?
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Mike, do you have any experience with very much more mature runners? eg the Over 60 group. There are a group of us over on the Over 60's thread who train hard and are wanting to get faster. A few of us are still doing pb's which is good. It appears that we are not able to train every day, due to recovery problems. We would value any advice, tips etc you can give us.