Options

First 1/2 Marathon

Comments

• Options
    By the way, just had a mate of mine ring me up for a chat. Explained that I was feeling a bit sh*te and gutted about missing today's race to which she replied "it's only a silly race, how about when you're better you set off and just run 10 miles somewhere else". Tried to explain that it was something I'd been training for months towards but she just didn't get it...

Grrrr!
  • Options
    Re energy gels.
    Where do you get bthem? Sport stores or do you have to order them?
    Would like to try them individually first, in case they don't work for me, and not have to buy bulk.
  • Options
    you can get lucozade gels from Boots, got the GO GELS from sweatshop
  • Options
    Tara, Runny Bunny, Jeckmac
    The one I used was a blackcurrant Go gel, didn't taste particularly great, but bearable, but Wow what a result, I really felt like I was suddenly given wings.
    Legs don't even ache today either ehich is a bit of a surprise after 16 miles
    I searched everywhere saturday for them but my local sports shops, cycle shops and chemists didnt sell them, only to find they sold them at the start, i won't be that lucky again so must find a stockist locally somehow!
  • Options
    Thanks Twisted, off to work shortly, got that monday morning feeling at moment...Will check out Go Gels later today.
  • Options
    Twisted, some sites for you to check out:

Science in sport (SIS) I think these are the guys who actually make the GO GELS and BARS (which are ick!!)

Energy4Sport Like these people cause they sent me loads of free Isostar goodies as a result of some RW comp that I didn't realise I'd been automatically entered in as a subscriber!

Planet Fear

Start Fitness

That should do you for now hopefully!
  • Options
    Morning peeps,
    Well done to the runners this weekend, some success stories coming out already!! I didn't run at all this weekend, did a 5 mile bike instead of a 5 mile run, which isn't really equivalent, but back to the gym tonight - haven't been for over a month - which could be a bit of a shock to the system. 3 miles on the treadmill, 6 on the bike tonight I think, and some core exercises. Does anyone else hate those core thingys? Must get back to Yoga or something, doesn't seem so much of a chore in a class.

busy family weekend (my parents Saturday, his parents Sunday) and feeling a bit shattered now. Still, another week.

Had a bit of a panic yesterday that I couldn't do Bedford half, but it's OK, I'm only busy on the Saturday, so it's on again. Hurray. Better get training now.
  • Options
    Morning All,

Congrats Poca and Gary - great runs. Sorry you couldn't make the GSR Tara - it was a great day.

Poca I must warn you about Mark. Don't believe him when he says he'll just plod round the Grim at your pace - he was sticking in 9 minute miles over half way through the GSR! Slow for him but very fast for me. All joking aside Mark towed me round to a new PB of 1.34. The only other 10 mile race I've done was the Holbeach in August and my time then was 1.48 so a huge improvement. There's definitely something to be said for following a PD - must try and talk him in to lycra if he's gonna pace me again!

I'll leave the race report to you Mark as I was too busy breathing and trying to keep up to take much notice of anything else!

Robin (my lodger) is very keen to do the Grim after talking to Mark but I've decided I can't enter unless I've already gotten under 2.10 for the half which is my target for this year. I've only got Worksop and Bedford to make it happen. I may come along with a hot thermos and warm towels to support you all though.

Off for a short recovery jog now - feel so much better than I did after the GNR. Is it those extra three miles that make such a difference?
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    Beanz52Beanz52 ✭✭✭
    Well run LMH - you are going to be well ahead of me at Worksop!
  • Options
    Wow - maybe I need Mark to drag me around Bedford - my targets for this year were 59 mins for 10k and 2hrs 10 for half marathon - have cracked the 10k one - now got to work out how i can take more than 8 mins off my half time!!!!

Well done LMH!!

Tara (and everyone else) - make sure you drink loads of water with the gels....otherwise they apparently sit as a big gloop in your stomach and head out of your body fairly rapidly in which ever way they want......either option is not a good one. I tried an Isotonic GO Gel at the weekend before the 10k - they don't need water and are much less gloopy......worked well....they sell them at the Sweatshop before you ask!!!
  • Options
    Morning peeps, and well done to Poca, Twisted and LMH - good races all. <<applause, applause, applause>>

((Tara)) - hope you're feeling a bit better today.

Thanks for info on gels - thinking about trying them myself once I start running again. Went to gym yesterday and had a 10 minute brisk walk on the dready to warm up and then a 15 minute cycle (on the flat). Did a few weights too and my achilles feels good today so I'll get back down there tonight and do a bit more. Back at the fizz Wednesday so we'll see what he says but i've got to be really careful i don't push it too hard - i'm so frustrated about not running and can't wait to get started again.

<<wanders off with image in mind of running, sex and eating curry all at the same time!!! - contortionists or what on this thread - you go peeps!!>>

• Options
    LMH
    Very well done on the run, I think you will find you should easily beat 2 10 for a half based on that (according to the Macmillan site)
    I too gfollowed a very trim derriere for most of my race, and it was |Lycra clad, i think I am in love, it certainly towed me round to a good time
    The ploy is unlikely to work in the Grim with all that mud though!

Poca, didnt drink at all during race yesterday, I really struggle to drink and run i throw it everywhere but down my throat!, but it was cold yesterday so didnt need much hydration, gel still stayed down OK
    I will drag you round bedford in sub 2 10! I hope to have got a PB at Maidstone in 2 weeks so will be winding down for Xmas by bedford and will be happy to plod round a little bit slower
  • Options
    Well done LMH, another good run, and sounds like you didn't suffer as much from the nerves this time! You must be well on track for a great HM time now!! You'll all be drunk by the time I get to the pub in Bedford I suspect!
  • Options
    Oh and Tara thanks for the sites
    i will have a look at them later, i need to get some before the Maidstone race in a fortnight

Been to gym this morning, gave running a miss but just cross trained and weights and abs, legs are totally OK, no aching at all, I must finally be getting fit (or I didn't really try hard enough yesterday and should have gone quicker!)
  • Options
    Mark has created a monster! I just ran my 'recovery' mile in 9.20. Not sure what has happened or why - I seem to have broken through some kind of barrier - either mentally or physically.

RHG - the nerves weren't good. Threw up yesterday morning before the race! Having Mark to pace me made the world of difference.

Poca - take Twisted up on his offer. It's soooo much easier with a lead. If I don't crack 2.10 at Worksop I might follow his PD myself. We can take a side each!

I used a gel yesterday for the first time. I think it was the SIS blackcurrant one (not sure as I realised I'd forgotten mine when half way down the motorway so had to send a 'rescue me' text to Mark who obliged). I took it at about 8 miles and it did seem to work wonders. Managed to pick up the pace for the final mile (not sure by how much but it felt much easier). The taste was quite palatable, a bit like eating baby food (I think).
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    Jeckmac - just read back - yes I am still doing Sandringham next weekend - are you??

I can't decide whether to really go for it and try to improve upon the 57 mins time or just have a fun time running through the Sandringham estate - what is your race plan Jeckmac??
  • Options
    slug - thanks, girlfriend is much more sensible in m/bike than me - I was a bit of an idiot when I started riding (now I'm an idiot with a faster bike). I think she'll be fine.

poca - well done on your scorcning new PB and Twisted, very good run at high mileage.

I had a terrible day yesterday - so hung over i couldn't run at all (olf TV movies and snoozing on the couch). Have to go out and do my long run tonight - bugger (still feeling a bit special).

Hello Tara - friend of pocas? same approach to drink, running and men?

I had a fantastic race this weekend too - lots of adrenalin but no fitness - I was on the M40 on 2 wheels

poca - you're going to get yourself into trouble
  • Options
    Gungho
    After an earlier exchange on the thread,
    We were wanting some of your professional medical input into the endorphin overdose experiment of running, eating Chillies and orgasms, possibly combined with energy gels.
    What do you think?
  • Options
    I think it sounds great - where do I sign?
  • Options
    maybe need to rig up some kind of harness to a treadmill to manage all of them simultaneously
  • Options
    But what would happen if you got out of step? Sounds possibly disastrous!

We could discuss further during the mud wrestling at the Grim 8
    Oh and why didnt you do Kingston as it was so local to you?, there was an 8 miles and a marathon as well, so it is suitable for all runners, very flat and very well organised and friendly, I certainly recommend it to all on the thread for next year.

I think they have a breakfast run of 16 miles (part of the adidas series) in march will i will probably do, it will be a good warm up for FLM if I get in
  • Options
    Twisted - I was at an awards ceremony (Royal Television Society) so couldn't go to Kingston. That's why I'm in such a state at the mo' - black ites and champoo all round (plus lots of bad behaviour)

I'll run Kingston next year
  • Options
    Ah, now I understand
    I ended up in hospital after the last awards ceremony I went to, very long story which i am certainly not going into on this thread! Lots of blood though! (monkey suit ruined!)
    But champoo makes for awful hangovers and awful behaviour, well it certainly does for me!
  • Options
    Poca would love to break hour barrier, so will probably just go for it. Suspect there will be bottle necks though as route through forest trails. Might use ur strategy of starting wiv quickies at front to give me quick startand then finding PD to follow. Am sending u mob no if you want to meet up and say hi.
    Anyone interested in doing Trail Plus Adventure weekend? Though I sustpect that is what R*nning weekend is going to turn into! Will bring choc, Fizz an Chillies...
  • Options
    Jeckmac, you can do no better than start off with a quickie!
    What does the trailplus adventure weekend entail?, I will visit the site and investigate!

A combination of champagne and chillies, what a thought, guaranteed to misbehave!!
  • Options
    jeckmac - very interested in AR weekend. I think you may find a few more are too after they've had fun getting dirty at Grim 8

As you say, with all the cats, beavers, chillis, fizz and gels - the running weekend sounds pretty adventurous as it is
  • Options
    are you a biker slug?
    I'll try to get a bit of my throbbing monster on - it's really the most fun bike I've ever had
  • Options
    My God - I step into a meeting for a few moments and when I come back it takes me ages to catch up on the gossip!!!!

Twisted I have emailed you this morning - let me know if you got it as my email has some fault in it that means it doesn't send even tho it tells you it has!!!

Jeckmac - thanks for the mobbie no!! See you on Sun.

Gungho - in what way am I gonna get myself into trouble???? I am very very careful and even more careful not to get caught red handed......!!!!!!
  • Options
    Poca, but you already have red hands!!
    (not very PC I know)
    No I didn't get email, I wondered if I had addressed yours correctly, did you get mine OK then?
  • Options
    Hear hear Twisted!
    Gunho, dont know if they have dates yet for 2005, but it all looks like good dirty fun. Must say am pretty nervous about Grim, if someone had told me last year that I would be doing something like that volutarily, I'd have never believed it.