Options

Hard Training - Dawn (Hilly)

Comments

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I'm sort of recovered as long as I don't have to race the Loop tonight-I'll marshall quite happily and watch to pain on everyone else's face!:o)
  • Options
    Hi Hilly, the answer is yes - the marathon is at least 95% an aerobic activity and building an endurance base is the most important thing, speed work is the icing on the cake but since the key is to run efficiently for 26.2 miles the most important bit is endurance. Temp runs should be at half marathon speed, which for most people is their threshold level.

I always did faster running, particularly in the last 8 to 10 weeks, but there are plenty of top runners who don't do that much speed work. Hugh Jones who won LM the year before me did not run very short intervals so as to avoid lactic acid build up, his sessions tended to be threshold type sessions with 3km reps, etc.

My ideal plan is a balance between speed and endurance and would be something like:

Sunday: 20 miles
    Monday: 8 to 10 miles steady
    Tuesday: Interval session
    Wednesday: 10 to 15 miles steady
    Thursday: Rep session
    Friday: Easy day.
    Saturday: Steady or fartlek.

However, everyone is different - as the advice given differently to each of our 3 volunteers shows.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I think today was just a very difficult run and so out of the ordinary for me to ever run that slow.

I have no problem with running a slow pace to build my endurance, but what I'm finding is that at the moment running more miles is forcing me to run VERY slow. Is it normal for the pace to drop by 2 mins or more and should my pace automatically adjust as my body adapts?

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    10km done this morning to hit the weeks 70 miles total. Ran better than yesterday thank goodness, but still have heavy legs. Managed to do a few faster strides of about 50m just to stretch out and test my injury, which coped ok-just a bit of ache after. Decided not to time this run so as not to worry about the pace I was running.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thought it might be of use to post what I've done so far in my 18 week marathon plan.

ENDURANCE PHASE:
    wk 1- 38 miles running, 80 miles cycling, 1950 metres swimming.

wk 2- 41 miles running, 52 miles cycling.

wk 3- 47 miles running, 12 miles cycling.

wk 4- 8 miles running due to holiday.

wk 5- 43 miles running, 10 miles cycling.

wk 6- 70 miles running.

wk 7- 70 miles running.

PLAN FOR NEXT WEEK-START OF STRENGTHENING PHASE:
    Mon-6 miles easy
    Tues-am 5 miles easy, pm 5 miles to include threshold pace reps?
    Wed-12 miles easy
    Thurs-10 miles easy
    Fri-am 5 miles easy, pm 5 miles threshold pace reps?
    Sat-7 miles easy
    Sun-20 LSD

Total planned=75 miles

How does next week look Mike/
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Get up Spud, we don't want you hurting yourself when you've got your own hard training to do!:o)
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Hilly, it strikes me that the jump from 43 miles in Week 5 to 70 miles in Week 6 may now be catching up with you and perhaps contributing to your reduction in pace. I know you cut the cycling as some compensation for the extra running mileage, but running is generally harder on the body than cycling and you may be more tired than you actually feel. I'm sure that your pace will increase again once your body gets used to and learns to assimilate the extra mileage.

Having always countered with you, BR, on a certain approach to training ;-) I have to say that what you've described above is basically what I do. OK, the mileage can't be considered to be high compared with many here but since last year my average weekly mileage has doubled so it's a step in the right direction. I do tempo runs (more by accident than design as I'm not too good at pacing) but no intervals. I think my race times are fairly good considering that until recently (pre-FLM training) my mileage was below 20 per week and only hit 40 mpw once during FLM training.
  • Options
    Looks fine to me Hilly, it seems to me that you are substituting the bike effort to running, so as long as your legs can take the pounding there shouldn't be a problem with the quantity.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Minks-I suspect you're right about the increase in miles catching up with me. It's a bit scary as a pace I once found easy is now hard and at the moment I couldn't even think of running sub 7! But I'm determined to see if body will adjust to it. I suppose tiredness has to be expected in marathon training and I've read a bit in LORE of Running to that effect.

I'm sure you're going to find quite an improvement with your race times if you keep a consistent mileage going!

Mike-my run tonight was difficult again. I've eaten and drunk well since my disaster of a long run on Sat. I started off ok, but needed to stop and stretch after a mile due to really deep aching in my calves (compartment syndrome maybe) After I stretched I just jogged along without any increase in breathing at a basic 9:15 m/m to get the miles in. Hoping tomorrow will feel better!
  • Options
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Forgot to say I'm not mentally tired, I get up and look forward to a run. When walking around there is no aching in my legs and they feel ok and ready for a run, but when I start to run the aching in my calves reduces my pace. Now I'm not sure if this is muscle tiredness or to do with my dodgy calves. The rest of my legs feel ok!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Don't be blisters, I'm finding this hard at the moment!
  • Options
    Good....I feel better for that!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
  • Options
    But I'm a nice one, you know, like Piglet from Winnie The Pooh.

You're inspiring me into my own running...you did 70, I did half that. Soooo I had to make up miles to get anywhere. 20 in the bag today, as I had a slack weekend away. Am I ahead of you for this week yet? You'll catch me on Tuesday or Wednesday no doubt.

Best of luck, and try and enjoy some of the sessions.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    LOL!

I do enjoy all my training sessions, I'm just a bit frustrated that my legs don't want to do what I want them to do!:o)

Yep, you're ahead of me, you can stay ahead if you want. All you have to do is keep running everyday 1 more mile than me!:o)
  • Options
    Oh dear me.
    That's definitely Tuesday then.

PS I'm somewhat frustrated that my new photo has crashed out.
  • Options
    BTW What happened to Stifler hard training thread?
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure URR, he seems to have disappeared off the site.

Blisters-I might not catch up with your miles until later in the week!:o)

Slept late this morning so planned early run didn't happen. I finish work early today for the summer-yipee! Therefore I'll go for 10 miles early afternoon and see how I feel as to whether to put in any bursts or keep it easy. I have a feeling that it'll be easy, but who knows my legs might want to play for a change!:o)
  • Options
    Hi Hilly,

The incosistency is going to be due the ratcheting up of the miles, if you don't generally feel jaded then you're probably not overdoing it, but you do need to watch the effect on your compartment syndrom. There would be no harm done if you take an easier week next week then go back up to 70 to 80 miles for a couple of weeks. That will be the peak of the mileage training then you should have an easy week again and then start to introduce the faster paced running.

By the way, I will be in Switzerland with the Runner's World Alpine Marathon trip from Thursday to 1st August then on family hols in Italy until around 12/13 Aug. I should be able to access the internet in Davos during the Swiss trip, but not sure about while in Italy.

URR, Stifler never confirmed that he wanted to go ahead with his thread so we did not put it live....I hope he is still around and not been put off.
  • Options
    hilly if you increase milage, don't forget to increase food intake and rest. Even I as a beginner (again, even when some years ago I wouldn't have called myself that way). Also with the cramps for me it helped to take extra magnesium and make sure I drank lots and lots of water. The badest thing for cramps for me is alcohol. I'm lucky I only get them when I sleep or when my training is over.
  • Options
    Hi Hilly
    I posted a message back on 18th June about having symptoms that were similar to yours and I being diagnosed with a stress fracture that had not healed properly. The similarities are uncanny,I was told by several people that I had compartment syndrome because of my symptoms.In some ways this could be correct as it now seems a possibility that my stress fracture not healing was giving me a secondary compartment syndrome due to oedema and fluid build up!Can't find any research or info on this.
    I am now 7 weeks into my rest period and still cycling instead. Hope it is worth it in the end.
    10 out of 10 to you for determination!!

Paula
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Hilly, just concentrate on the mileage and don't worry about the pace for now. Increasing to 70 miles per week is a big jump up even from the 40 or 50 miles you were doing before, and although I'm a long way behind you in terms of mileage I found when I started getting into big (for me!) mileage before FLM my pace definitely slowed, even on the shorter runs. I guess you can't ask your legs to carry you all those extra miles then expect them to be able to do it at the same pace as they would normally do 20 miles or so less a week! As you get stronger (assuming no more problems with injury) and your legs adapt to the extra miles I'm sure you'll find the pace will increase again.

And closer to marathon day, I'm sure you'll be cutting back on mileage and perhaps concentrating on some faster stuff, then there'll be a tapering period to give your legs some rest. I'm sure by the time you get to the start line you'll surprise yourself with what you can do!
  • Options
    MG2, Hilly - Thanks, a bit of a shame, would have been great to get a bit of new insight or inspiration. Is there any replacement? Spud & Hilly cover the training for 3:30-3:10. Would have been great if there would be something beyond the magic 3hr border!
  • Options
    Stiffler would have been interesting because he is a younger track based runner with impressive leg speed who I would have directed towards 5km. We had another runner for a male sub-3 contender but for various reasons he couldn't take it on at this time.

It's been an interesting experiment and may evolve for FLM. It's been particularly interesting trying to work out the likes/dislikes and needs of people I have never met....it's for Hilly, Spud and Becky and you forumites to assess whether it's worked! Running is more to do with the personalities of runners than straight forward physiological rules and it's good that it has worked out that each of our 3 volunteers is (I hope) making progress in different ways.

One thing that it has revealed to me is how much knowledge and good advice is out there - I think it is like the way good clubs work, with the wise & experienced ones very happy to pass on the knowledge to newer runners.
  • Options
    MG2 - Very true and very good point!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Sesjeh-thanks and I agree food is an issue. I'm not eating any more than I was before, but realise I'm going to have to.

PR-glad your injury is improving and I'm sure the cycling is keeping you fit! It's frustrating when you can't find decent information on an injury. To tell the truth I even wondered at one stage if my physio actually knew what it was!

Minks-I agree I've got to stop worrying about the pace while I concentrate on the mileage, which is what I did tonight!

Mike-had a good run tonight! 10 miles over a undulating/hilly course. I left my watch at home and just ran how I felt and for some reason I felt quite loose and easier than last few days.

I put it down to massaging both calves for an hour last night. Having a can of slim fast 10 mins before leaving for my run as I think I'm not eating enough before my runs, then I had another can when I got back.

Your trips sound lovely-enjoy!

I look forward to an easier week next week!
  • Options
    Sounds good Hilly....try not to take too much of your nutrition in liquid form - tea/toast & jam and a banana were always my post hard run treat!

It's amazing how you will adapt to high mileage - you'll have days when you feel too tired to go out, but when you start running you just click into it.