Options

Seaton Half Marathon - 12 September 2004

Comments

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    That sounds tough after a race!
  • Options
    moe,
    just read your question regarding orthotics and as an orthortic wearer myself I would reccommend going for the proper ones more or less straight away. You will only delay correcting your running actions by not wearing the proper ones!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Are you doing Seaton, snap?
  • Options
    Put my orthotics in for a steady (hour & quarter) club run tonight with no immediate problems so heres hoping.
  • Options
    Hi Hilly,
    no I can't make it for the seaton half but will be down for the Grizzly next year(my llth outing and still as enjoyable as the very first one-hopefully).The Grizzly has to be seen to be believed, especially the miles of shingle beach to run on and the hosing down by the Seaton fire brigade for all those so inclined AND the large Saline pool as mentioned previously.
    The forms for the grizzly will be out at the seaton half and if you have never entered it, you are really missing a treat! One piece of advice though- enter early as the allocation will fill up within 3-4weeks.
    Moe, just wondered- do you only wear your orthotics when running or always? and were they custom fitted or off the shelf?
  • Options
    Snap, I've been instructed by the podiatrist (who made them for me) to wear them all the time but to phase them in, at the moment I'm in them about 80% of the time, just need to get some deck shoes for wearing at home.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Do you even have to wear them in day shoes, then Moe?
  • Options
    yep! Although I am still aware of them being there, they are a lot more comfortable now than when I first had them.

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I believe they are very expensive?! How often will you have to change them?
  • Options
    They are very hard wearing, they will occasionally need the cover and heel layer replaced (few quid) but a replacement or additional pair would be around £80. Thats not very many Physio visits!
  • Options
    Back from my hols, so now I can join the "Moe & hilly show".

After two weeks of virtually no running & a night spent travelling back, this evening's club run could be interesting!

Perhaps it is time to update the forumite entry list with our numbers?

paskha - 1:59
    Doug - 1:50-1:55
    paskha's sister (is she really older than paskha?) - 1:45
    hilly - 1:32
    90 minutes - no.58 - 1:34
    Ouchouch - 1:25

• Options
    .............oh! hello, wondered where you'd got to!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Yes I guess if it saves you visiting the physio so often it's money well spent!

Hi 90 mins, hope you had a good holiday!

paskha's sister (is she really older than paskha?) - no.88 - 1:45
    hilly - 1:32
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    sorry i put my nimber in the wrong place, just correcting.

hilly - no.88 - 1:32
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    of course that would be my number!:o)
  • Options
    A bit of tidying up and adding a few minutes to Doug my brother in laws time - whose training has been affected by North Cornish flooding and house collapse, but hopefully will be there!

pashka - 1.59
    Doug - no.28 - 2:00 hrs
    hilly - no.88 - 1:32
    Ouchouch - no 27 - a rather hopeful 1:25

As an aside making my first ever visit to Seaton tomorrow, with the children to sample this mysterious large saline pool. I'll report back.
  • Options
    Survived yesterday's club run OK by going down a group & running with a very impressive Vet65!

OuchOuch - Hope this weather holds, ideal for saline pool sampling.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Apparently you can't miss the saline pool OuchOuch!:o)

It's scorching here today. I've been inside all day and didn't realise how hot it was until I left work to drive home. So hot running!
  • Options
    Made the North rather than the South Devon coast yesterday.....at the last minute favouring saline pools with sand rather than with pebbles...

But this saline pool thingy was fantastic, waves - bigs ones/ small ones, lots of fun...I really think they will catch on - sonn every coastal resort will want one.
  • Options
    OuchOuch - they have wave machines as well? My boys would love that!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    See Moe, there's more to saline pools than salt water!:o)
  • Options
    Back from hols. Sorry Hilly, but I had to laugh about the saline pool!!

Don't know if I'll make it on Sunday, knees horrible of late. So frustrating. Hope you all have a great run and maybe see you at another race soon.

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I can't help being blonde!:o)

That's a shame you can't make it ohb. Hope the knees feel better soon!
  • Options
    Thanks Hilly.
    Yeah, so fed up. 10K is the limit, maybe 16K on a good day. Just desperate to get back into it.

My husband was going to run on Sunday too and then he badly pulled a calf muscle on holiday!! He's had to rest up. What a motley crew!
  • Options
    Tough club session yesterday evening, but my legs seemed surprisingling inspired going uphill, nice to feel a bit of speed coming back. Can feel it today though, so while it was good fun it probably wasn't good tapering...
  • Options
    Picking up some good tips from my lurking and listening on Hillys hard running thread....so my planned 90 minute run today became a fastish 7 miler to be fresher for Sunday....quite releived really as the only time I was able to run was midday...so mad dogs and in this case Welshmen out in the midday sun. If it stays warm looking forward to a dip in the SP afterwards.

Also heard the Seaton course described as undulating rather than flat by someone who has run the course three times supported by some scanning of race times whereby the Seaton times tended to be approx or slighlt slower (rarely faster) than the Plymouth times.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Oh well, that puts any idea of a pb out the window then!

I'll settle for a swim in the SP instead!:o)
  • Options
    OuchOuch - Stop scaring hilly!

While Seaton isn't flat, it is certainly undulating rather than hilly. I have always got better times there than at Plymouth, despite the chip timing at Plymouth. Used to be my pb course until I discovered Cheddar.
  • Options
    Yeah a slight downer that previous second paragraph - sorry guys, and thanks for the reassurances 90 minutes.

Hilly - I am sure you'll get your PB on Sunday. PB's come in three's and with your recent 5K PB and all of the fantastic Cardiff marathon training you've put in, you will be great shape and be flying.

Pashka we are expecting great things from you too..

Me, I'll be relying on my new go-faster shoes and maybe something called Red rooster which I picked-up at the shops a week ago...a carbo/ caffiene stiumlant drink!

A fastish 5 miler tomorrow, a few easy miles on Saturday then here's hoping for soem great race conditions on Sunday.
  • Options
    Shall we meet before the race outside the Hook & Parrot?