Options

Sub 3:00 FLM 2005

Comments

• Options
    Tricks - I made the same promise and even though really happy at breaking 3 hours I would love to do another but my wife got fed up with all the training and now with a baby on the way I will have to wait awhile!!
    I travel alot with work and so still take my running shoes with me so that I can get some quality training in!
  • Options
    Andre - I always take my running kit wherever I go as well - hence why I normally have a small suitcase instead of an overnight bag! At the moment, I spend part of my week in Leeds and I've now found a good hilly 8 mile route courtesy of an A-Z.
    My problem is I actually enjoy all the long runs and the training, so that will be harder to give up than the racing. How much cycling corresponds to how much running? - that might be an idea as he is more into cycling than running.
  • Options
    Tricks - I have just come back from a 2 day trip to Malta and normal people would take a small overnight bag but I had to take my suitcase so that my trainers (size 12!) could fit in! I read somewhere that 1 hour running = 3 hours cycling roughly - may be wrong though.
  • Options
    Hmm, thats what I thought. I'd rather run for 1 hour than cycle for 3! Oh well.

• Options
    I'm just about to go and hunt out advanced marathoning, I feeling inspired at the moment. Besides, I've got my other half to agree to do NY with me next year, so I may need it then.

I've rather foolishly agreed to do the Luton marathon relay the day after a christmas drinks/dinner party - at least it will give me an excuse not to drink to much! I was also planning a longish run of about 15 miles that day. If the leg I'm running is 8.7 miles, will I get the benefits of a long run if I run twice that day, or would I be better off doing my long run on the following day (which would actually be the start of the next week, thereby giving me 2 long runs in a week)? Alternatively I could swap my wednesday 8/9 miles for the sunday and do a 13 miler on the wednesday before(and possibly tiring myself for the race). The marathon relay is on 5 Dec, and I am also doing an 11 mile race on Sun 28th Nov so I wont be doing a long run that sunday either

Basically my sched for the next 10 days looks like this:

Thur 25 Track session - 8 x 3 min reps , approx 6miles total
    Fri 26 Nov - Easy 5/6
    Sat 27 NOv - Rest
    Sun 28 Nov - Race - hilly, muddy 11 miles (40miles total for the week)
    Mon 29 Nov- Rest or easy 3 miles
    Tues 30 Nov- Tempo session, hilly approx 7 miles
    Wed 1 Dec - 8/9 mile easy run (Could do 12/13 instead?)
    Thurs 2 Dec - Tracks session - 1 mile reps
    approx 6 miles
    Fri 3 Dec - Rest (or easy 6)
    Sat 4 Dec - X - country race (tbc) or rest
    Sun 5 Dec - marathon relay race 8.7 miles (or run twice to cover long run distance)
    Mon - Rest or Long Run?

If anyone has any ideas of what I should do/change that would be appreciated.

• Options
    Anyone out there? It's been very quiet...

Feeling pleased to day - was doing 8 x800m reps in 2:57 (last 2 in 2:55) last night (well actually 8 x 3mins with 2 mins rest). The constant snacking strategy I have been trying certainly works, I feel much stronger when running now. Rice cakes rule! (Even though they taste of nothing!)

• Options
    Anyone out there looking to do sub 2.50 if so what sort of training are you doing at the moment and what max mileage will you be aiming for.Ticks thats one of the sessions i do and if i am feeling really good i will do 4x1mile with same recovery.
  • Options
    Hi,

For all those interested in the Advanced Marathon program by Pete Pfitziger and Scott Douglas, they have their 70 mile/week program on the article archive on the "Running Times" website. Here is the link: http://www.runningtimes.com/issues/01julaug/marathon.htm

I used it for my last marathon (2:57) and I thought it was very well structured. Planning to use it again for London - starting the 18 week program on Dec 13!

Anthony. Jerusalem, Israel.
  • Options
    Hi Anthony,

Thanks for the link - I shall have a look at it.

sha - if you dont get any luck on this thread, try the sub 2.45 thread.

Have I bored everyone stupid so you've now deserted the thread? Apologies, if that is the case!
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    I've used the Pfitzinger/Douglas one before (well, in as much as I've ever strictly followed a schedule, which is not really).

I'm not convinced by the concept they have of "medium-long" runs mid-week, which can be anythign up to about 15 miles. I got injured following this for Paris. When I finally beat 3 hours, none of my runs were more than 9 miles other than my Sunday long run, and I felt much better and didn't get hurt.

But it's a little unfair to criticise, as I was using it as a vague guideline rather than following it religiously. Other than that it's a great book.
  • Options
    Haven't been on this thread for ages. Hoping to better my 2.57.35 from 2004 this year to about 2.55 ish.
    Got a slight hamstring pull at the moment and down to about 20-25 miles per week to stay healthy. Need to be up to 45-50 miles per week by Xmas.
    Feeling apprehensive as I know that I need to be totally injury free before starting serious sub 3 hr training. Don't think that I have lost too much form at the moment as I did a short 64 mins at Stortford 10 miler the other week on a "sporting " course.
    We'll see !!
  • Options
    Hail Hail

Just got my acceptance through. Chuffed!! First application ever for FLM and I get in! It seems unfair but therewe go.

Am I mad? I am doing Paris on the 10th, FLM on the 17th, Edinburgh on 12th June and thinking about Lochaber sometime in May. Is it too much? The wife seems to think so, but obviously I dont agree.

Good to see some of the Dublin gang using this thread - so will probably stay here for the duration.

Training has started already - about 40 miles a week so far, but hoping to be at 70 by Feb.
  • Options
    My last 3 weeks have been 42, 43, 44. I expect that 55 is likely to be near the tops, but then again I'm still a pretender on this thread.

Track session tonight - good stuff - my shins ache.
  • Options
    Toomuchapplepie - I actually "enjoyed" the mid-week "medium-long" runs. I also thought that his pacing suggestions were spot on. It gave me the feeling during the long/ and medium-long runs that I was focussing on marathon pace, even though most of the runs are at least 10% slower than marathon pace.

My last week was up to 45 miles, and I'm planning on using the 18 week Pfitzinger/Douglas program which starts around 50 miles (in 2 weeks time) and has a maximum of 70.

Anthony.
  • Options
    Although, like Blisters, I feel like a pretender on the hallowed turf of this thread - I'm chuffed to say that I've just had my FLM2005 acceptance through (obviously a very lucky first-timer).

Will be starting the Pfitzinger/Douglas 18 (55m) week programme on December 13 (last 3 weeks mileage 32,35,36)

Planning to do Watford half marathon in early Feb - purely as a sanity check to see if I'm on the right thread !

I suppose that the fun starts here ...
  • Options
    Crafter - Yep. Decemner 13 is kickoff date for me too! I used P/D for my last marathon, and it worked well.

Anthony.
  • Options
    Hi all - and especially to Running Bhoy (I suspect you've had a change of name).

Not been on for a while as I've been on a slobathon over in america. Didn't do many miles and put on 8 pounds in weight (not good). Feeling a bit demoralised at the mo since all my running since Dublin a month ago has been rubbish. Currently struggling to hold on to 7 min/mile pace for a 10K.

Marathon accpetance came through on saturday so that's spurred me to putting on my trainers and I'm just begining to sort out my races for next year. Like most people I think that it's going to be the P/D 18 week schedule for me. Will do the 55 mile one but should time permit I'll chuck in a few extra miles on the long sunday runs.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma though. I've been co-erced into doing a couple of tri's post London. So I was wondering if anyone else is going to do any cross training. My main idea is to go light on recovery runs on monday and friday and supplement them with an hours swim or cycle.
  • Options
    gl all im hoping to crack the 3 hour mark this year did 3:06 last year .
    but been out most of the summer with a torn calf. back running now tho. did 1:09 at stortford 10, so lost a bit but fingers crossed not to much to make up.
  • Options
    Hail Hail

Morning all. So, Toucan - I'm a bit of a suspect am I? Your powers of deduction are astounding Holmes!!

Went to the gym last night cos the weather was miserable up here. Did a light 13k on the tready in 50 mins, then stopped and realised that my shoes were soaked in blood!
    Silly eejit that I was thought "Just because I've forgotten socks, I'll be ok."!!! Blisters everywhere! I'll do 10 mile today(with socks!) then a couple days off with hopefully 2 light 6milers on Sat and a nice big 18 on Sun morn - weather dependent.

All this talk of P/D makes me realise that I've never actully followed a proper schedule. Just gone out and run instead. I think that I might do some interval training after Hogmanay in the hope that I CAN go sub3.
  • Options
    In my opinion, for whats its worth, the mid week long run was really beneficial - 13.5 miles on a wednesday night at slowish pace (quickest was 1.29 and slowest 1.45) was really good as it provided a recovery from Tuesday speed work and also gave a few extra miles per week which the RW Sub3 schedule did not give. I would definately include it again.
  • Options
    Hi y'all (especially Tricks) I'm back! Been to Club La Santa on Lanzarote for the International Running Challenge. Had a brilliant time. Four races in 4 days 10K (road race), 13K (ridge run), 5K (beach run) and 23K (accross the island). Did 4 p.b's and was first in my age cateory! Well happy....not too impressed with how cold it is back here though.
  • Options
    What were the times?
  • Options
    Hi Helen, Welcome back - its been quiet on the female front here!

That's fantastic about Lanzarote - what were your times? I came third lady in the Bicton blister last sunday - an 11 mile cross country with lots of mud hills and water obstacles in a fairly respectable 1:18 (i'm not good uphills) so I'm pleased with my progress to date. I am racing twice this weekend and having never done consecutive days racing before wondered how I was going to do it, but you made me realise I shouldnt worry and it is possible!

It is freezing - went to the track last night and couldnt believe how cold it was I had hat, fleece and glove to warm up, although once the reps had started I soon warmed up. Didnt stop me doing sub 6 in splits for my mile reps.

And - after what you said about Malt Loaf, I've been snacking on it throughout the day, and I'm a convert!
  • Options
    Ha ha you are running 'sub 6 minute malt loaf miles' FANTASTIC!

My times for Lanzarote were as follows

10K = 40:45(but we suspect it was over distance)
    13K = 54:11
    5K = 21:24 (again probably over distance)
    23K = 1:36:29 (first 3K was uphill and all of race was into a head wind)
    Recovery is important when racing on consecutive days. After the races we jogged and then went and stood in a cold swimming pool. I then stretched later in the day and tried to sleep. If you want to read more then go to www.clublasanta.com
  • Options
    I've become regular snacker between meals - rice cakes, malt loaf, bananas and yoghurt and it doesnt half make a difference to my strength when running. I dont fatigue so easily in races or in speed sessions - I cant believe its taken me so long to work this out!!!!!!! And actually, as a result I have less sugar cravings, I eat less fat and despite increasing the volume of food I eat, I havent put on any weight, or if I have, it hasnt made any difference to my speed becasue its been balanced by teh extra strength, last week I was doing 8 x 800m splits in 2.57 with last 2 at 2:55 and yesterday I did 5.58, 5.54 and 5.56 mile splits (with no watch as I had forgotten it, but someone shouting out 400m splits). Previously I found 6 min reps a struggle even in the peak months of my marathon training.
  • Options
    Tricks - what recovery time are you using between each mile rep?
  • Options
    A lap of the track jogging so about 3 mins although I was at the back of the fast lot so it probably less than that as we all started together. I dont know exactly as I didnt have my watch on - big mistake as it's my security blanket and I tend to check my splits every 100 so I had no idea what I was doing. Its good to know that my guess pace isnt far off my planned pace. We were supposed to do a 4th rep but haivng raced on sunday and am racing again this weekend I decided that doing a 4th rep would finish me off.
  • Options
    Thought it about time I peeped into FLM and lo and behold my spiritual home the sub three hours thread.

This year could be my year though, no injuries this Autumn and a 38:36 10k time already when I never thought Id' see sub 40 again.

Training for me starts Boxing Day- which will be a 4-6 hour cycle as I am trying to keep the tri training going for IM(s) in the summer London is really practice for those.

Can we do the customary list of name best half marathon and full marathon time, I will start:

Monique 1:23:15 (Ackworth 2003)/ 3:01:57(Flm 2002)
  • Options
    Hi Monigue, am a bit of a pretender on this tread, but i live in hope,
    Abingdon 3.10.22,(first marathon)
    1.24.50(wokingham 2004)