Options

Sub 3:00 FLM 2005

Comments

• Options
    I did 2:59:06 at London this year.My mileage peaked at 55mpw and my half marathon pb which I acheived the month before London was 1:23:48.
  • Options
    I've looked at several of the rules of thumb, and find the "Twice HM plus 10%" is the guide that works for me. "Twice HM plus 10 mins" is a bit optimistic, as is the MacMillan conversion table.

I get the feeling that the difference primarily related to the state of preparedness of the athlete. If you are building up to a new higher peak, then the pessimistic rules work best. If you are seasoned and stable at that fitness level for the marathon, then the optimistic ones just about hold.

In summary, if you build up your training to a new level of a 1:25 HM, your 2:59 is mighty optimistic.

Hard work is the only answer...
  • Options
    Toucan - maybe 1.20 is a bit harsh for a half target, everyone is different. I did a 7 miler last night at mp and it was tough - wondered how I was able to the full 26 miles at that pace!
    As blisters said - hard work and miles are the key unless you are ultra talented.
  • Options
    Andre - do you go out on the roads for your marathon paced runs? This is one of the sessions that the Advanced Marathoning book recommends and I have been trying to do this once a week. I go to the gym and do a mile warm up then alternating miles at 6.50 and 6.40. The reason that I alternate is to break up the monotany and 6.50 seems so much easier if I have been running at 6.40 first. The treadmill takes out the guess work of how fast I am running and I can also have some liquid refreshment perched on the rack in front of me. I have attempted to do these sessions on the roads (using a HRM and SDM) but find that because of the busy streets, crossing roads etc. that to maintain a specific pace is difficult.
  • Options
    I do my long marathon paced runs out on the road guided by my forerunner and the fact that I know a load of distance markers for the routes near me. Busy streets are not such a problem for me and Andre since we both live in semi-rural leicestershire. Hills are more of the problem to keeping an even pace.

Andre will no doubt tell you all about boredom on the treadmill though ;-)
  • Options
    Helen S - when I am in the UK I do all my training on the roads and use the odd distance marker to guage time. Must admit that it is not accurate but I can get a feel for the general pace. As Toucan said the roads around us are pretty quiet so once in a grove you are rarely disrupted.
    When I travel I like to use treadmills for speed sessions so I know exactly how fast I am going and, as Toucan reverts to above, the odd long run - 20 miles is my record at the moment! Don't think I will ever want to break that one!!!!
    Re training at dead on 6.40 and 6.50 pace I would not be too worried if a few runs were slightly quicker or slower - key is to make sure the pace is accurate during the race itself!
  • Options
    I've seen pretty good agreement in the past between my gps and map 24.
  • Options
    Andre/Toucan

Any of you Leicestershire lads doing the Ashby 20 ?
    I didn't do it last year but have run it twice prior to FLM.
  • Options
    Mango - when is the Ashby 20? I maybe tempted to use it as a long training run. I usually do the Bramley 20 which is out by Reading way and I think is on Feb 20th.

Zoe - are you still there? How is the training going?
  • Options
    Just finished the St Neots 1/2 in 1:23:29, which takes four minutes off my PB. Fairly happy with that especially given that 5 weeks ago I did a 5 mile race in 32:50!
  • Options
    Nutkey - well done that is good running and 4 mins off your p.b is brilliant. Are you aiming for sub 3 in London 2005 or have you already achieved the sub 3 target?
    I have just been out, well this morning, and done 2 hours (16 miles) pretty pleased with that but it was a bit of an effort at the end.
  • Options
    Aiming for sub-3, but it looks like I'll be going to Paris or Rotterdam unless I get a club place for London... Don't actually have a proper marathon under my belt yet.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice Nick, regarding the book (Advanced marathoning). It was as I expected 3 long runs per week. How hard did you find the schedule, I notice there is not a lot of speed training in the schedule.
    Thanks anyway and may your running dreams come true.
    P.S a saying that I keep reminding my self during those long runs is and keep in my wallet (sad I know):
    YOU HAVE NOT LIVED IN THE WORLD OF COMPETITIVE SPORT UNTIL YOU HAVE FOUGHT A BATTLE THAT IS NOT AGAINST AN OPPONENT BUT AGAINST YOURSELF
  • Options
    Wow Nutkey that's some slice to take off a HM at this end of the game. Well done.

(I spot that long runs are kicking in again)
  • Options
    Very intrested in this thread.Have done 4 halfs in the past 8 weeks in 1:25,1:25,1:26 and pb on sunday 1:25:03.My mileage is about 30-40 pw.Last year ran 3:28 at flm so should be able to better that next time round.

My question is,is it better to do 40 miles per week(giving 100 per cent every time) or 50 miles aweek with a few junk miles thrown in and 80 per cent on everything else?
  • Options
    Better to do 50 miles a week with about 40 miles of it slow or steady and 10 miles fast (I recommend one LT session and one VO2max session).

The marathon is 99% aerobic, so "giving 100% every time" is actually not a very good idea and will invite injury. Instead, concentrate on running easily, but try to build up some mileage (50mpw is about the minimum for sub 3:00), and then go 100% for the two speed sessions. If you're aiming for sub 3:00 you should be looking to run your LT sessions at about 6 - 6:15 minute miling, and your VO2max sessions at 5:30 - 5:45.
  • Options
    Nutkey - I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get a club place cos the times that you are running at the moment (your 1:23:29 HM) indicate that a sub 3 is there for the taking.

• Options
    Thanks Helen. It was nice because it was the first race I've ever repeated. Fairly sure there was more in the tank too - I'll be aiming to knock another couple of minutes off in the spring. I've got several keen training partners at the club, so motivation shouldn't be a problem.
  • Options
    I did my first proper run yesterday after 2 weeks rest following Snowdonia - I did the Sodbury Slog...not fast, but wet and muddy and hilly and great fun. The best thing was that although I felt crappy to start with, for the second half (8.5 "country miles") I felt great and just felt I was getting faster and faster. So, a couple of weeks of build up for me now, before starting my training proper in early Dec. Looking forward to it!
  • Options
    Wobbly - I found the schedule pretty hard to start with, but then I was only doing around 30 miles per week before hand. At the end of the day if you've done that sort of milleage (or somewhere near it) before, then it's not too tough.

Even with the lack of speed work I managed to knock over 3 minutes off my half mara time.

Good saying, I like that one!
  • Options
    LLL
    Good solid advice from HUW
    LT = Lactate threshold pace, is the max pace at which you could run forever, ie conversation pace, and one at which you aren't making your legs tired.
    VO2 max pace = eyeballs out (correct me if I'm wrong somebody)

Just thinking here: Surely you can't do a VO2 max pace as it got to be distance related? Otherwise Linford Christie would hold the marathon world record! Maybe 1 mile reps off 2 min recoveries would be a better descriptor.

And by the way.
    There is no such thing as junk mileage. They all add up. You're not going to get to 100 miles per week without some recovery mileage. 5 gentle miles completed are far more valuable than a missed session.
  • Options
    Hi all

Am aiming for my third <3 at FLM 2005 having done 2.56 last year and 2.55 in 2001. My key session is the very long, very slow run and I'm just getting back into regular running after doing London to Brighton in October. The plan is to start training again in earnest in December and build up long runs (initially 3 hours peaking at 4-5 hours in late February), then do the Steyning XC marathon in March and after that 5k/10k type stuff up to FLM. Am not too worried about overall weekly mileage and will probabaly do one tempo run and one hilly run per week. Its really interesting to see the different approaches. Good luck to everyone...
  • Options
    The problem with the speed sessions, as I have just found out, is injury. I have recently been building up my milage, up to just over 40mpw, with one fast track session a week.

The last track seesions were going really well until I pulled my hamstring in the middle of a session. That was nearly two weeks ago. Although I felt fine, even the day after, just walking around, the hamstring start hurting as soon as I start even slow jogging.

I also don't believe there is any such thing as junk miles. My own sub 3 marathon was done on about 45 miles per week and I am sure that it was the long slow runs that made the difference not the faster shorter ones. So when I recover, I will be doing easier track sessions and more miles...
  • Options
    I have just had a look at the Pace Training Calculator on this web site and I think it gives a good indication of how fast/slow one should be running in the different sessions i.e tempo runs, long slow runs etc. If anything I think I run my long runs too fast.
    I have started building my mileage up and will, like many others on this thread, begin my mara training in earnest in December.
  • Options
    Blisters: not quite right on the paces.

LT pace is about the pace that you would run a 10 mile race at (also called "tempo" pace).

VO2max pace is about your 5k race pace (ie not quite eyeballs out, in fact the aim should be to stay controlled); I agree that a good session for this is mile intervals, though a 2 min recovery may be too little (at least to start with).

Good luck everyone
  • Options
    Hello - I've just caught up with this thread having posted a message ages ago. I'm aiming for a sub 3 having done 3.06 at London. I've been exploring the nutrition side of things (need to lose some weight to achieve my target) and have found out that if you lose half a kilo off each leg, then that equates to 6 minutes in a marathon. I'm not sure liposuction is the answer to my sub 3 ambition but its an interesting thought. However, I've had real trouble with speed and confidence since my marathon. My PB for a half before London was 1.23.45 (Reading), and now I'm struggling to get under 1:27 (have done 1:27:30 at Burnham Beeches in august and 1:28:02 at Windsor) and I've found that club runners who were earlier this year 2 mins behind me in a 5 mile race are now seconds behind me in shorter races (probably the bottle of wine I had the night before didnt help but still!). I've had a piriformis/hamstring niggle but havent resolved it fully although its not painful, and I'm comfortably running 30 - 40 miles per week. I just cant put my finger on what has gone wrong. I had an easy month in October, and I'm trying to build up my mileage, but I just feel so slow! I'm starting up speed sessions but the lightfootedness I used to have has gone, has anyone else experienced this???

FOr Helen and zoe - I'm doing the championship race again this year, first time last year. It was a good experience, but my enthusiasm meant that I went through the first 6 miles in sub 40. Ouch. Died at mile 18. Better tactics for me next year.
  • Options
    Tricks - I think maybe you are reading too much into it, remember every race is different (conditions etc). The wine could also have made a difference, I once ran a half after a night on the wine and it still stands as my personal worst, about 15 minutes down on my pb!!

The times will come back when you get into your marathon prep, Im even looking to knock a good couple of mins off my half time before London.

I reckon if you can just get back around your PB and then get your pacing right you should do it. Might need to add a few miles though.
  • Options
    Tricks - glad we have another girlie on the thread we may even meet up on the big day!

On the nutrition front, I have been finding that when i increase my mileage I have difficulty maintaining my weight. In fact on Marathon day last year I reckoned I was not as fuelled as I should have been. I think this led to me having no energy at mile 18/19 and struggling thro those last few miles. I did take on board some gels during the race but not enough (Paula could have learnt a lesson from me re: Athens).
    What races have you got planned and have you started training for April yet?
  • Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that I really need to look at the nutrition side of my training, rather than relying on the exercise to make sure that only half of that tub of Ben and Jerry's makes it to my hips. I get so hungry and, working in a hospital, it's often a lot easier to lay your hands on (and eat) chocolate than a piece of fruit. Tricks, have you found any useful reading?
  • Options
    Helen, Zoe, I've never had problem trying to maintain my weight, I find it incredibly difficult to lose weight. I didnt lose any during FLM training last year, but I could do with losing about half a stone, I'm a little on the bulky side for a runner. I've bought a book by anita bean called the complete guide to sports nutrition, and started trying to eat more often (which actually means eating more) and whilst I havent put any weight on, I have noticed my energy levels have gone up. It did make me realise that I've never been eating quite enough (in an effort to keep my weight down), and as a result my metabolic rate probably dropped (whenever I stopped running for a couple of days I seemed to put on weight). I often found I had little energy for training but a snack of a banana or yoghurt at about 4.30pm does wonders for eening training. I'm trying to see food as 'petrol' rather than the enemy. I've got an appointment with a sports nutritionist in Dec so I've been keeping a food diary which makes for intersting reading. I know the glass of wine here and there will have to go!!! Abd the snacky choccy things that people bring into the office!
    On the races front, I'm doing cross country races (London Champs today), hopefully Bicton Blister 11 next week, then Watford half in feb, Reading half in March (which I have used for the last 2 years as an indicator of what sort of shape I am in). I might try a 20 mile race before FLM, but I'm not sure yet. How about you guys?