Options

Sub 3:00 FLM 2005

Comments

• Options
    Andre, did you follow the Advanced Marathoning schedule?

I can't imagine what 20 miles running on the treadmill would be like. Were you being serious? As I said a few messages back - you guys are an inspiration!

Here is my marathon 'pedigree'
    2001 Amsterdam - 3:13
    2002 London - 3:07:00
    2003 London - pulled out at 20miles
    2003 Blackpool - 3:41 (ran on the hottest day of the year!)
    2004 London - 3:11
  • Options
    What happen in London 2003?

I picked up on the treadmill 20 miler as well, thats got to be tough!
  • Options
    Helen - I did follow the sub 3 RW schedule but added on a few miles to the runs during the week to increase mileage - I recommend doing 13.5 miles as a mid week run as well as your long run at the weekend. My max weekly mileage was 64 miles - I did 4 weeks of 60+ miles and the rest were solid 50's and late 40's. I did start doing long slow runs from the beginning as I was coming back from injury - I did 9 or 10 runs of over 17 miles with consistent 13.5 mile mid week runs throughout the training - for other marathons I did much less in terms of distance runs both during the week and at weekends - this made the difference. Yes - 20 miles on the treadmill was serious, I was in the middle east and it was too hot to run outside so did it on a treadmill - crazy I know!!!
  • Options
    I'll let you off, you had a valid excuse!

Your training sounds pretty similar to what I put in for Berlin.
  • Options
    I'm going to throw my hat into the ring for this one! I've got a deferred FLM place, and did 3:13 in 2003, so with alot of hard work, I reckon 3 is just about possible....eek!

Just need to get Snowdonia on Sunday out of the way, then have few weeks rest, and start again!

I don't somehow think Snowdonia is the place to go for my sub 3!!!
  • Options
    Andre/Helen,

I followed the sub 3:15 schedule which is marginally easier on you than the sub 3 - but as Andre said I always tried to outperform the schedule. In the 10 weeks before tapering I averaged 49 miles (one was a low running week 'cos of a hamstring strain but did cycling/x-training in stead) with 6 runs > 18 miles and a peak of 70 miles in a week. I did most of the speed sessions on thursday and tempo on tuesday both trying to hang on to the quick ones at the local running club.
    So not much different from Andre but he just did his training quicker than me! I agree though I think there is no substitute for those high mileage sessions/weeks.

Andre - are you doing the FLM then or are you going to be too busy changing nappies?
  • Options
    Congrats again to Andre
    It's a shame that there's no shortcuts to sub 3. I'll just have to do what I can. I think that I will aim to be ecstatic if I get 3:00:01. That would be a huge jump up for me.
  • Options
    What about speed work?
    Is it better to just do high mileage training?
  • Options
    I've got a knee injury and it doesn't seem to be healing. Is cycling better than swimming?
  • Options
    Toucan - discussed future marathons with wife and there may be a possibility of the Paris but really will have to see as I do not want to commit to one and then not be able to do the training and thus not enjoy the experience - Dublin was the first marathon that I actually enjoyed racing the final miles and felt OK at the end (doesn't happen often!). I would like to maintain fitness and work on 10K and halfs over the winter. Baby arrives end of Feb so FLM and Paris will be tough to train for.
    Blisters - thanks for congrats, Paul and I saw a few guys at Dublin that had finished in 3 hours and seconds, they were gutted.
    Daniel - you need some speedwork I reckon to build your speed endurance - I found that the speed sessions were a welcome break to the distance workouts and looked forward to them as you got a good workout in 30 mins rather than 1 hour +!!
  • Options
    Andre - It sounds like you and I are in the same boat. Mrs J is due at the beginning of Feb so I may have to defer my place. My only saving grace is the fact that my company give me two weeks paternity leave, so if I can also take a weeks holiday I may be able to work this in my favour!!

Daniel – Speed work is important, but if you don’t get enough mileage in and blow up at 20 miles then it all goes to waste.
  • Options
    Andre - Sounds fair enough. Whenever I've gone into races without specific goals or just to 'take part' then I've ended up not enjoying it at all.
    Did you enter London though? I'm of the opinion that it's always worthwhile entering 'cos you can either defer or at least build up your refusals.

Speedwork is a necessary evil for me as I'm not a particularly 'fast' runner (I can only just break 20min for a 5K). Strangely though some of my fastest 7-8 mile training runs came the day after a speed session. Not recommended I know but my legs just felt good.

For my long runs I also try incorporate a big hill at a late-ish stage (e.g. at 15 miles out of a 20) - found this was good conditioning for digging deep even when you're quite knackered.
  • Options
    toucan - did not enter in the end, maybe should have done. FLM is great but I have done 2 of them and actually in terms of racing etc the Dublin was better as you could get straight into running and there wasn't as much carnage to avoid (people pulling up with cramp, walking etc)from 18 miles as you usually get at the FLM - then again you must experience at least one FLM just to see the support throughout the course - amazing! Starting to miss it already!!
  • Options
    Well I'm in for next year and there is no getting out of it. I do want to experience it though if only to say to non-runners 'yeah done that' as it's the only long distance race they've heard of.
    Maybe sub-3 at london is too soon and there are lots of other things that may get in the way between now and noon on 17th april but if not then I'm increasingly of the opinion that sub-3 is not impossible. If not FLM '05 then Dub '05 or wherever...
  • Options
    Toucan
    You've got a great chance. It's a flat course, with good support, good company, good targets. At the pointier end it is also fairly ordinary, and not at all crowded.

THIS IS YOUR BEST CHANCE. GRASP IT.
  • Options
    Toucan - blisters is right, go for it. The difference between FLM and Dublin is that Dublin is more undulating so you have some nice down hills to run down, FLM is just flat but again a quick course and generally the weather is good for marathon running in April. I am jealous!
  • Options
    Aaahhh Go on then - I'll give it a go. So I'll be a full member of this thread from now on.

I'm currently not feeling I could run anywhere at sub-3 pace though. Did 7.5 on sunday and was struggling all the way round - managed to get in within the hour but it was hard. There just was no spring in my legs.
    I'm out with the club tonight for ~6miles, but I think I'll drop down to the 7:20 pace group.

I think I'm going to only do ~4 runs and 30+ miles per week for the next 4 weeks to give my legs a rest. On non-running days I'm going to do some cycling and swimming (went swimming last night and I realised how much I miss it!). So hopefully I'll retain a reasonable amount of fitness while giving those pesky leg niggles time to recover.
    Then 1st of December I'll start increasing mileage and start on the speed sessions again.. but a little bit quicker than last time!

Andre - Shepshed on sunday?
  • Options
    Toucan - I did have a place for Shepshed but we are up in the Lakes all weekend now! I did this race when it was the 10K back in 1999 - I remember climbing a hill to the finish which was tough.
    I felt exactly the same on Saturday when I did a 7.1 mile loop - legs were hollow. HAd a rest on Sunday and then did 10 x templar hill reps on Monday and the legs felt great! Had a day off yesterday and if time permits will try for a 10K or 5K. I just want to maintain fitness as I am doing the Bolsover 10K on the 19th December - want to finish year with pb at 10K to make it a clean sweep in 10K, half and marathon for pb times.
  • Options
    Whats the Shepshed?

I'm heavily involved in the x country season at the moment which means that I have to have Friday as a rest day and more often than not I am knackered to do my long runs on Sunday. Still, there is a long way to go until April............
  • Options
    Helen - Shepshed is a village near to Loughborough and they hold a 7 miler mainly on roads, good race even though the last time I did it is was a 10K.
    Toucan - went out to see what the legs could do over a 10k last night - did the Rothley 10k and did 37.49! my previous best on that course was 39.15 in the race in June - the marathon training has paid off!!!
  • Options
    Thanks for the info Andre. Good running last night on the 10K course. Are you going to be racing in the near future?
  • Options
    Helen - I have an entry for the Bolsover 10K on the 19th December - a nice flat course and very much a pb course if the wind is not too severe. After my 10K on Wednesday night on a hilly course I reckon I could push the 36.30min barrier at Bolsover as long as I remain fit and well - fingers crossed! Have looked at the Paris marathon web page and there are loads of places left - tempting!!
  • Options
    I went out on Tuesday night and surprisingly the legs felt good - did about 7 miles with a middle stint at 6:50 pace, so I think that there is no permanent damage done. Started to feel it though after ~40 minutes, which I suppose it not surprising.

That's an excellent time for the Rothley course - I think it's at least minute slower than a 'flat' course. It shows what improvement I've still got to make to get under sub-3.

I'm running the shepshed with a couple of friends and I'm out on a stag night the night before so I'm not going to get a p.b. on sunday. As they've changed it to a two-lap race mostly on paths through garendon park, you know do the 'hill' twice although I doubt you'd consider it to be a hill now - certainly nothing like templar road.

Next 'proper' race for me is the turkey trot in December. I've nearly done a clean sweep of p.b.'s this year. Only one I missed out on is a 10M p.b. which I haven't raced since last summer, so my best for that sticks out like a sore thumb.
  • Options
    I'm going to do my first run tomorrow after Snowdonia last weekend - I went off too quickly and really suffered! But almost right away I decided I wanted to do it again, better. But first London. I'm just figuring out my training plan - any of you guys use any particular plan or do you just make up your own?
    In the past I've used Hal Higdon's advanced, but this time I thought about trying the 18-week 70-mile p/w plan in Advanced Marathoning, for a change. Anyone had any experience of it?
  • Options
    TwoDogs - I followed 18 week 70-mile p/w plan in Advanced Marathoning (fairly loosely) and went from 3:27 at London this year to 2:59 in Berlin (September). Can't speak highly enough about the book.
  • Options
    Thanks Nick! sound like a good recommendation. The only thing that puts me off it is that there is always Friday training, which is a problem for me, but I guess I can work around it (I could even try morning running..eek!!).
    Am I right in thinking that the Sunday long runs are at or near your projected mara pace or have I mis-read that?
  • Options
    TwoDogs - I used the RW sub 3 schedule but just added on miles to various runs to build the mileage up to a max of 64 a week. Re weekend long runs I only did one that was at MP - 20 miler, all the others were between 7.10-7.30 pace or at whatever felt comfortable for me. Must admit when I did the 20miler at MP that gave me a lot of confidence. Good luck!
  • Options
    I followed the 18 week 70 mile plan for Chicago this year and increased my PB from 2:56 to 2:48. I modified the plan slighly by lenghthening some of the sunday runs - not enough 20 milers for my liking - and increasing the number of intervals in the spedwork. I also dispensed with the rest day and did a 5/6 m recovery run. The end result was I peaked at 80 mpw. Most of my long runs were about 30/40 seconds per mile slower than MP.
  • Options
    TwoDogs - No, the sunday runs should be 10-20% below your marathon pace, I think they suggest starting at 20% below and building up to 10. So for a three hour marathon you should be starting just over 8 minute mile pace and finishing around 7 and a half.

Dont worry too much about what days you do things, just try and get all the key sessions in.
  • Options
    Thanks Nick...I thought that was probably the case, but wasn't sure. Its a while since I read the book, so I'll read it more thoroughly this weekend.
    I guess with all these plans, the trick is to get in the key sessions, but without doing 2 hard days in a row too often. And fit in races too.