Options

Marathon of Britain - 6 days, 175 miles

Comments

• Options
    Training? Well I ran a few ultra's with my back pack on. Got quite used to running from my house in London to Lewes in Sussex. A distance of around 55 miles. This would take me around 11 hours. This gave me the stamina needed.

What I didn't count on is the amount of walking you'd end up doing. So anyone that contemplates this, get used to walking. A lot.

Don't take more than one pair of shoes, since all you're doing is giving yourself more to carry during the week.

Be prepared for your feet to feel like bloody stumps. Mine are still in abject misery.

The banter amongst runners is second to none. Would suggest every runner do something like this. ONCE ONLY!

Feel free to message me if you're after more info, but since I was one of the slower "runners" you may get a different viewpoint. (Definitely can recommend the Pasty shop in Warwick....)

• Options
    Ducati Man,

Check out the Marathon of Britain website and forum it will give you all the information that you could possibly want and allow you to enter on-line as well!

If you're keen - then try the MoBlite that takes place in March, that should give you a taste for it.
  • Options
    Hi guys,

With regards to training - obviously the mileage is the main thing, ie, as many miles as possible, but not too many that you become constantly injured. I normally would run at 30 - 40 mile week, but tried to do up to 60 miles + some weeks (depending on injury)

I think the most important part is to do a couple of long runs on consecutive days, to get your mind as well as your body prepared for the ordeal. If/when I do this again, I will do more of these long runs. I run and cycle to and from work (I have parks along the way to lengthen the run if need be) and run with a back pack. But I would never recommend running with the full weight of the back pack more than a couple of times, as it really is heavy, and will alter your running style, making you prone to injury.

I just used my normal trainers (only one pair, which are now in the bin!) and ate copious amounts of jelly babies and wine gums along the way (I didn't partake in pasty eating!) I had LOADS of porridge and toast for breakfast - you don't run as fast as normal, so it is doesn't bounce on your stomach as much, and really does help to keep the energy levels up.

The best preparation though is to go with a positive mind, and tell yourself that whenever you feel like giving up, don't! The finish line is far too great a feeling.

(also, get a compass and practice navigation!)
  • Options
    Thanks for all the training tips, I'm inspired!
    MoBlite - what and where is this, please?
  • Options
    MOB Lite is 2x consecutive marathons run on a Saturday and Sunday in March.

Find out more at www.marathonofbritain.com
  • Options
    Thanks. Will get my entry in!
  • Options
    noooooooooooooo
  • Options
    So.. how does the navigation work then? Presumably you are at 'Point A' and told to run to 'Point B' and the route you choose is up to you? Is this how it works? If so, and the route is the same as the previous year, is there any reason why you couldn't work it out in advance or is that part of the challenge too?

Anyone else getting the scary idea that I might be mad enough to have a go next year?? OMG!!

• Options
    Thinking about the navigation thing.. it means that someone with a poor sense of direction or map-reading could well end up doing far more miles than suggested! Blimey.. as if 175 wasn't enough!

• Options
    On the 54 mile day (circa 90k). Ralph, who also ran it last year, ended up doing 106k.

I lost an hour and half on the first day getting lost.

Navigation, especially when tired is hard. My tip is to do what Mike did with Heidi. Get someone else to navigate.

You have to stop a lot. Take compass bearings and then set off.

You will still get lost.
  • Options
    Competitors are each given a 'road book'. (Thankfully there aren't too many roads on the course though.) The road book is a collection of all the relevant bits of Ordnance Survey maps, with the route marked on it in highlighter.

I found on MOB26.2 (the one-day version of MOB) that the two times I got lost were when I had 'switched off' - the way on the map looked obvious (in one case it followed the Cotswold Way) - and I relaxed too much. I well remember coming over the brow of a hill to see a church tower just where I expected it - only it was the wrong one, half a mile to the south of where I should have been!
  • Options
    oh, you get that done for you
    Thats nice
  • Options
    Yes, you have to be follow the route strictly. If you are seen to be going from A-B in a shorter way than the route highlighted, you could be disqualified. The check points are there to give you water and medical assistance if needed, but also to check that you are following the course.
  • Options
    ok.. ok.. I've done it..

I've been in touch with Rory and I've put my name for MOB 2005. My wife thinks I am insane and she is probably right! Perhaps that is one of the entry requirements?

Anyway.. I've been inspired and gripped by the stories and wonderful achievements of everyone who took part, not forgetting those behind the scenes in the support team. I will be 40 next year and this will be a suitable challenge to prove to myself that I'm not dead just yet....

Having not yet done one marathon, the prospect of running/walking at least 175 miles (and probably more if the navigation is a bit squiffy) is somewhat daunting... but, there is a year of preparation and I'm going to have a go. Anyone want to join me in this mad journey?

Eeekk....!

• Options
    you nutter
    no

For me, its a 24 hour track race
    then GUC
    and then i might see
  • Options
    i will definately be joining you, missed this year due to injury amongst other things, get your map reading up to speed and you should be ok.well worth the effort just to finish the whole event. a real toughie.
  • Options
    congratulations on signing up for MoB 2005 its a great event and a fantastic adventure.

Plodding hippo, I did the GUCR this year - lots of rain but fantastic, thankfully I don't need to do the 24 hr track race on the 9th October but will be supporting a couple of friends so see you there.

Going to try and be "invited" to run the Badwater Ultra next year, but chances are probably quite small as they only seem to ask 5 people from the UK - better make myself look amazing - could be quite a challenge!!!!

YRM see you in the Himmies!!
  • Options
    mimi
    24 hour race is next year
    the hippo isnt ready yet
  • Options
    Hello Mimi, I'm doing Tooting this year so I'll see you there. I've been trying to persuade Hippo to do it and she seems to be taking the bait, next year I'm hoping to be able to do the supporting.
    Part of me wants to do Badwater but the other part remembers how bad I am in the heat, eg last weeks Boddington 50k when I was more than an hour slower than my pb
  • Options
    good luck ducati man.... i'm jealous of course.
  • Options
    Hi Timothy, see you on the 9th - definately think Hippo should do it - I think they only take 40 entries? Badwater's a real toughy with the heat - you wouldn't even get a tan as you would sweat it off!!

see you on the 9th -
  • Options
    Ducati man, I think I'm going to have to join you. I've done quite a few marathons including some off road ones and feel the need for a new challenge - not that the marathons get easier as I'm getting slower and slower at them but maybe that's because they don't excite any more.

I reckon I'll need a year to get ready and I won't get the motivation to train until I enter so I'd better get on the phone to Mr Coleman.
  • Options
    YRM and Cakeman... welcome aboard!

So.. those who did it this year.. how are you feeling today, one week later? Recovered yet? Ever want to run again?

I hope those tired muscles are healing...
  • Options

Yes, the muscles have returned to normal, blisters healing nicely, and the feet back to normal size! I fear that I will be joining you next year again too! It is funny how quickly you forget the pain...

Happy training.
  • Options
    I'm going to have a bit of a celebration today.

After a week of Jesus Sandals, I think I'm going to stick proper shoes on.

• Options
    Ducati Man,

Well done for entering, you’ll have a full year to curse that decision :-)

Thanks for enquiring as to how we are feeling post-event. I am in rude health, I only suffered one small blister and a bit of soreness in the legs, although I have been very tired. Did a ten mile run on Sunday to shake the legs out and have been for a couple of short runs since. Looking at the MoB website though it would appear that two other competitors are still in hospital. One of them is Selina, so it shows that there isn’t any natural justice in this event!

Heidi: I can’t believe what I have just read. I recall you vowing not only never to do the event again, but also never to run next to a canal ever again, ever, ever. I hope you won’t be needing my navigational skills to get you round :-)

James: Congratulations on the shoes, definite progress.
  • Options
    Mike,

Well you are one of the "lucky" ones that actually got to see my Middle Earth feet.

Are you thinking of divorce as a way out, or are you actually running next year?

James.
  • Options
    Ah, now I did say that I never, ever, ever 'wanted' to run along a canal again, but I never said that I wouldn't do the MOB again....I think running miles ankle deep in canal water had something to do with my loathing of canals!

Can I just share with everyone, that Mike's so called 'blister' was actually nothing more than a tiny piece of hard skin, I laughed so much when he queued up at the Doc's next to people with so much tape on their feet you couldn't see any skin! Ah, bless!

Best wishes to Yogi and Selina.
  • Options
    HOSPITAL????????????

for gods sake, why?

• Options
    James: “Lucky” to witness your hobbit feet - I was not! I recall I could also smell them over the general stench bodies and you peeled a large portion of the sole of your foot off and tormented me with it during breakfast. Ducati man - beware, there are worse things in that week than the 175 miles you have to run.

Heidi: Thanks for the ongoing sympathy – my blister certainly smarted a bit and required syringing, even if it didn’t qualify for a plaster. Ducati man - beware, I had six days of torment for being the lone southern jesse amongst a hoard of tough northern types who dismissed the soles of their feet peeling off as “nothing but a scratch”.