Options

sub or about 4h30 hopefully

Comments

• Options
    I'll be at the expo on Friday at around 4pm. I am staying in Kensington and travelling to Blackheath via London Bridge.
  • Options
    I will be at the expo traffic permitting around noon as travelling down by car in the morning straight to the Expo with the family then back to the hotel in the afternoon for a meal and lie down till Sunday morning. MIght have a little run out on the Saturday in the gear, when I see what the weather is going to be like.
  • Options
    Right had lunch and have calmed down, honestly its a mad house here at work today as well so me panicing about hotels is not helping, have decided to stay where we are and stop getting worked up OH will have to sort himself out simple as that.
  • Options
    I'll be at the expo on Sat, was going to get someone else to do it for me but apparently it's a great atmosphere so would like to experience it.  Then back to the hotel to try and sleep, but I doubt I will cos I'll be too excited! 
  • Options
    Can anyone recommend a good marathon to do around October?
  • Options

Russell - how about Amsterdam or Berlin.

Another question from me!  what time are people getting to the Start on the Sunday?  any advice from the wise?

• Options

Russell - Beachy Head!! Its brilliant and will be a wonderful contrast to London. Beautiful route, very well organised and a wonderful atmosphere all round.

SCharm - trains to blackheath go from London Bridge - the victoria trains are on a different line. You can tube to LB or you might be able to tube it to cannon street and get train to Blackheath from there. You'll be fine just give yourself plenty of time. The starts are well organised with loos and places for coffee etc so if you do get there early you can just relax.

I recommend the expo as its great fun BUT - don't get too sucked in and spend hours there!

• Options
    so when are you all heading over to the expo? So exciting going to pick up your numbers! The road notifications are up in south east london. I'll have a little potter over to Blackheath tonight and see if they've started putting up the marquees yet! image
  • Options

Friday I am there forgot that bit on my note, lunch time........

Will have a look at Beachy Head.image

• Options
    Thanks Birdy, I am going to walk over to London Bridge and get the 8.03am train so should be there  about 8.15am which will give me plenty of time to work myself into a panic!!!!!! image  I can't buy anything at the Expo as that will just be more for the OH to carry!
  • Options

Dublin Marathon is always during half term in October. My hubby has done it the last three years, whilst i go to cheer him on and drink the Guiness!

My hubby loves the course, lots of support around the course and the weathers always been okay on the day.

Great fun in the pubs after the race, lots of nationalities, great food/drink, and a good old sing song.

Michelle

• Options
    I'm getting a coach straight from the hotel, but I believe they're getting there around 8 because otherwise the roads are closed off.  You won't be alone SCharm!
  • Options

I will be at the expo on Friday morning...

As for Sunday, I am hoping to get to the park between 8:15 and 8:30 - travelling locally from the opposite direction of most so hoping it wont be too busy...

Can friends wait with you in the park...or do they have to leave at the entrance???

• Options
    Scharm I'm staying near Victoria Station. Leaving luggage there and using the spa facilities after to shower and change. I purposely picked a hotel near the finish for that reasonimage
    So Birdy how do I get to Blackheath????image
  • Options

BTW just done 3x1600m intervals. they were slower than when I did 4x1600m, still felt hard and I'm feeling exhausted!!!image

Thursday I'm supposed to do 8mile tempo and weekend is 10mile. This does not feel like a taper at all!!!!image Don't know what to do for the best image

• Options

Relaxed which hotel does it still have rooms sounds like luxury to me!  I'm off to Tuffnell Park afterwards to use my friends shower and hopefully her footspa!!!

• Options
    The charity I'm running for have hired a room in a nearby hotel for us all to have a sports masasge and shower when we've finished which is good.  Anyone else running for charities should ask if theirs are doing the same.
  • Options
    Relaxed - I have changed my schedule as I think the RW  taper is far too hard.  I only did 15 miles on Sunday, off road so quite tough, but there is no way I would have done the 17 they had down and I am not doing any intervals or speed work now as it won't make any difference now, I am just doing 3 miles tonight then 5-6 with the club on Thursday which will be slightly quiker than tonight then about 7 on Sunday, I am down to do about 10 as well but the 7 is off road and therefore counts as more.  I would take it easy if you are tired as the object of the taper is to get our energy up not deplete it further!!!!  So feet up now.
  • Options

Russell - Beachy Head!! Its brilliant and will be a wonderful contrast to London. Beautiful route, very well organised and a wonderful atmosphere all round.

SCharm - trains to blackheath go from London Bridge - the victoria trains are on a different line. You can tube to LB or you might be able to tube it to cannon street and get train to Blackheath from there. You'll be fine just give yourself plenty of time. The starts are well organised with loos and places for coffee etc so if you do get there early you can just relax.

I recommend the expo as its great fun BUT - don't get too sucked in and spend hours there!

• Options

Scharm the hotel is Park Plaza Victoria Tel: 02077699930. There's 3 of us in a room at a cost of  £160 (I think!) which includes breakfast. Divided between the 3 of us I don't think its too bad. And being able to have a shower after is bliss image Just need Birdy's instructions to the start now!

After reading a post on Hash's thread by Liz Yelling - she recommends running for no longer than 70mins at weekend, I have decided to do 5mile tempo Thurs and 7miles at weekend. image And I'm not going to push hard on either of them - honest image

Galer that sounds great, which charity are you running for?

• Options
    Thanks Relaxed, I suspect there is no room at the inn but will give it a go!
  • Options

the RW taper is way too heavy for our standards I believe...............the 1st week of taper is only 3 miles less than the full week the week before...............mind I did nothing that week because of injury which is a bit too much the other way.

Had sports massage today on my legs and they were tightwer than I thought,,,,,,,.will have  ahort run tomorrow.........

all this taper madness is getting to me now..........can't believe my marathon is on sunday....wish I had an extra week to recover

• Options
    I am running for the RP Fighting Blindness.  They've managed to rope in some last year uni students for the sports massages, practice for them and hopefully beneficial for us!
  • Options

relaxed - should be direct trains from victoria (overground) to blackheath - just keep an eye on the timetable but it should only be about a 20 minute train ride I would think. With lots of jolly panicky marathoners in teh carriage!

SEren - how bliddy exciting for you! You'll be fine I'm sure. Any advice on items for ultra drop bags would be most welcome. I'm planning on energy bars/sweets/the usual but am also thinking a sarnie/nuts would be good at the halfway point. First CP is at mile 20...doesn't bear thinking about! image

• Options
    Thx Birdy - when I checked the timetable there are no trains on a Sunday to get me from Victoria to Blackheath. Do you think they will run some for the marathon?
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

What a lot of chatterboxes with an assortment of worries to boot!

Don't panic, don't panic (said the pot to the kettles as she was nervous as heck herself!).

Seren, I'm wibbling too. Good luck love xxx

Relaxed, they put on special trains from the major stations so you should be OK. Ditch that schedule now as it's way too hard for the week before your marathon. Just tick over and don't push hard at all and you'll be fine.

Russell and Mark. Beachy Head is my favourite marathon. The organisers are lovely and treat you really well and there's a great camaraderie amongst the field. Time is irrelevant, it's all about surviving the 7 Sisters (aka the 7 bitches for reasons that become clear when you see them!).

Birdy, on the 50 I a had peanut butter and jam sandwich followed by a jaffa cake or 2 which was great for energy image
  • Options

whoop whoop!

getting excited now... just hope i can run the bloody thing!!!

The Mrs isnt sure where to watch...  

Feeling a bit lazy now, using the knee as an excuse i think, havent runsince sunday, saw physio  today.. polo tonight and i'll run tomorrow, prob about 6 miles, then 7 or so sunday. i feellikei have been tapering for 6 weeks now...

• Options

Russell - little later that Oct and further afield is Florence - an absolutely fabulous route - amazing scenery and brilliant support -A wonderful mini holiday. But friends are recommending Dublin as a great run and good PB potential. I'm planning on doing that this year.

Daughter and I have it sussed - staying with a family 5 minutes walk from start ( a school organises the B&B as a fundraiser) We can drive up from Ashford and park at the house, then at the end - easy journey back by train and on the right side of town for the A20 and back for supper. No kit bag as OH will carry my toiletries, change of clothes - to include my  Uggs, and a sandwich -  with extra salt!!! My charity is organising showers/massage/teas etc - in a nightclub! Keep the B&B in mind for next time folks, as I had such a lovely welcome last year and it raises funds too.

Last year, however, we all got off at the wrong stop and had a 3 mile hike back to the car and my family all complained about the walk as "they'd been all their feet all day"!!! Won't make that mistake this time.

Agree with heavy nature of the RW schedule but still like it = followed it to the letter last year and was really well prepared but got several niggles on the way. This year, I've been confident enough to adapt it - the pay off is that I've had an injury free few months so it's weighing up the fitness v. potential injuries??

Seren, pob lwc  Dydd Sadwrn.

So excited, and all-consumed with everything Marathon - listening to Marathon Talk etc. Work a real intrusion and started waking at 4am regularly. 5hrs sleep is not enough!!! 

• Options

Diolch ffran.....ond Dydd Sul ..

morning all

I'm going to try for a run this morning after getting some more blood test done.........but the sun has goneimage

haven't got these travel worries of most.............just got to get to Llanelli by 7 :30 on a sunday morning....... about 45 mins down the motorway and can't imagine much traffic and only about 400 doing it

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all (and bora dah to the Welsh contingent),

We have to get a taxi all the way there as trains don't get in on time then we get a train most of the way back and have to get another taxi for the last 7 miles. It is not the cheapest day for us but staying away isn't an option either as we'd have to get someone to house-sit the horses cats etc so that would cost even more!

Work today which will be a distraction from the panic that's in my tummy image