Options

sub or about 4h30 hopefully

Comments

• Options

Thanks everyone for all your comments and advice. I've now booked in for tomorrow afternoon with the local physio and I'll take it from there.

On a separate note, aren't the overseas runners lucky that the dust cloud from Iceland didn't come down next week. That would have thrown the best laid plans into ruin.

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    I'm just hoping that it doesn't fall over the weekend or my Brighton marathon photos will be even worse than usual!

Hmmm, a steam bath sounds lovely.

Gilly, hope the results are conclusive and you get treatment that solves your problems.
  • Options

My daughters are stuck in Barcelona this morning with no way to get home and all their mates coming to my barn dance( raising money for my charity....www.justgiving.com/mark-street) on Saturday/ night. HOpe they can get back!! Might be driving to London tonight to pick them up!!!! Not good.......

Nice six miles this morning

10.10 -9.32 -9.26 -9.08 -9.17 -10.00 still running abit fast for my skinny legs over 26 miles but hey too late hopefully be okay on the 25th...... Stay positive.....

• Options

How quickly do we get our kit bags back at the end?

• Options

Afternoon everyone..

Hope we are all enoying the Taper. My cold is finally starting to shift so will go for a little 45min jog outside this afternoon to see how the legs are...

I can't believe the countdown is in single digits.....eeeeek

• Options
    ARGHHHHHHHH  Little Legs hadn't realised we were in single digits surely not!  I still make it 10 days and 10 sleeps!  Does anyone know of any instant porridge i.e. you make it with hot water that is nice?  I can only find some from M&S and I hate it!   Worried that I might end up taking my own porridge made up and have it cold on day at this rate. 
  • Options

Hey SCharm.....I am not counting today (as nearly over) or the Sunday.....!!! I agree on the 10 sleeps. Will post this again tomorrow image

Re Porridge - the only one I have seen is from M&S, maybe try waitrose? Could you not get it on the go? I know most Starbucks now serve porridge to takeaway....if you are coming through London you are sure to pass a few...or will that be too late?

• Options

The two eldest daughters are now driving back from Barcelona to Calais.......so not got to drive to London tonight.  Hope they can make it back by Saturday.image

• Options

Little Legs - Starbucks is on my list of banned stores, which includes Tesco, Primark, Nike, Macdonalds, and many many more - dont get me started on why!!!  I suppose there might be somewhere to get porridge at London Bridge.  Have you tried the M&S one?  It just tastes of the skimmed milk powder.  I know there is an organic one by Grasshopper but I can't get it up here.

• Options

1. In trouble now as my daughters who are helping me raise funds for Bowel Cancer Research are now having to drive from Barcelona to home in Derbyshire so wont be back in time for my bag packing event at Tescos in Chesterfield Saturday am.....I need help.

2. I will shave all my hair off for the highest bidder by next Saturday night...........getting taper madness I reckon........

www.justgiving.com/mark-street

• Options
    Scharm is you hotel not doing breakfast?
  • Options

Went for a run with my dog today! Its ages since I took him running as the marathon training hasn't been suitable - I think he thought I'd fallen out with him! Anyway still feeling a bit achey I decided a gentle run would be the best bet and see how I felt. Oh how I have mised my off road runs with the dog! It was lovely. I couldn't push too hard because I have enforced stops to put the dog on and off the lead etc. But it felt great. I was out for about an hour or just over (didn't even take a watch!) Quicker pace in parts and slower pace in parts. The freedom was bliss! And I felt good too so it has helped to boost my confidence back up a tad! image

Happier today image

• Options

Nothing like a run with out the watch or garmin out in the fresh air........running home from work tonight dead slow as I have a rucksack full of stuff to take home. Might even walk up the trail to my village.....below the Edge. Picture near where I live in the best county in the UK......image

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/115/305897888_29767b3dd4.jpg?v=0

• Options

Mark - nice picture but sorry Yorkshire if God's country and therefore best county in the UK!

Relaxed, I went off road on Sunday and will be doing so again this weekend, it really is so much more fun than pounding the pavements.  Yes hotel will be doing brekkie, but not convinced it will have porridge its an Ibis and quite cheap etc, I cant eat muslei as the nuts etc dont agree with me when I'm running.

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Birdy, look!  I just got an email about this event Isle of Wight ultra

Looks like a nice event.  I did the tandem/knitting ride round the island last year and it was stunning (and nice and hilly just the way we like it!).

SCharm, Tesco has been on my blacklist for a long time.  Are you sure the hotel can't accomodate your porridge requirements?  I only ask because when I did Draycoet I stayed in a cheapo Travel Inn and I went to see the Night Porter and explained that I needed porridge at 5:30am and he arranged it for me and several other runners too.

• Options
    glad to see that event is justa a week after Bala redhead so i can ignore it...............must stop getting tempted by these thingsimage
  • Options
    Seren hows things???? Are you fit to go??????image
  • Options
    Got a cousin on the Isle of White may have a look at that one.
  • Options

Evenin ALL! i've been cutting back my training and trying to shake off a sore achilles.  Had a physio session at the London Clinic yesterday and another next week.  He is cool and reckons i should be fine for the run as long as i dont push it too hard now.  Did 10 miles on Sunday and 7 on Tuesday - have maybe 4 more runs left in me - stretching 3 times a day.  The calf massaging was pretty deep and painful - couldnt stop swearing and laughing at the pain! 

i'm popping down to the expo on wednesday.  Got a help the heroes running vest thru from them so will prob go with that - get my name put on it collect my race number. 

Anyhow - hope everyone's ok?

• Options

Hi all, thanks Readhead I think I might email them!  I am sure there will be other runners so it wont be a problem but I do like somehting to worry about!!

Did 5 miles last night with the club was ok but am still very tired have had a pesky cold for about three weeks, mainly flem so doesn't really effect me other than sapping my energy me thinks.  Will run on Sunday then that will be it for me apart from a two miler on Tuesday.  I always have at least three whole days rest and I think I need more this time!!!

• Options

Hi RH! Yes I very nearly did that but my masseur has advised I have a bit of a rest at some point this summer so I'm not doing any long distance events in June/July. My current MdS build up is looking like:

Fling next weekend, Exmoor marathon May, Atlantic Coastal Oct, Druid Ridgeway Nov, then possibly another 50 miler in Jan/Feb, hopefully a week in Lazagrot for some warm weather training and then off to Morocco.

On a positive note masseur took a look last night and says my legs have recovered from JCC really well so she is much happier about my attempt next week - still knee issues and achilles issues but nothing too scary now. Just carrying on with rest, ice and another trip to the pool/steam room tonight!

SCharm - hope that cold goes - keep taking the vits!

• Options
    Thanks Birdy, gosh you schedule looks harder than mine!  I thought I was pushing it this year with London, a tough half in July followed a week later by Northumberland Coastal run then Kielder in October but your schedule puts mine to shame, hangs head image!  I fear that my vits are not full strength as I bought them from Morrisons, I have been told that even Boots aren't that great.  Steam room for me on Monday, can't wait, just hope its not full of men of a certain age and build!!!
  • Options

Relaxed... I'm resting at the moment and i'm going to give it a go on sunday..............either it will be like the rhyader run 4 weeks ago when i felt great and the niggles stayed as niggles.or it will be like the san dom one 3 weeks ago when the hamstring just got tighter and tighter until i stopped before i did serious damage...............i don't think i will know until several miles into the marathon................I can feel it going up stairs by my 4 mile run on wednesday it stayed as a niggle.........

I've got marath#on sunday.... then half Ironman tri in june... 30 miler sept, then beachy head marathon  october and 45 miler in December................still trying to find a few more.....especially July

• Options

I promised Trail Runner a report on my first sports massage yesterday.   Here goes...

Apparently she took it easy on me, no really deep stuff this close to the marathon.  It all felt fine and dandy until she stumbled across something knotty in my calf.  It did hurt a tad, but not 'bite-the-pillow' painful.    Quads were good, and then she told me my left hamstring felt a bit like it had bubble-wrap underneath the skin.   Charming.  She could feel like she was popping little knots all the way down my hamstring.  I could feel nothing.... apart from gritting my teeth and telling myself this was doing me a world of good.

On reflection this morning, it was a great expereince.  I've told myself that the weekend's 8 mile tapering saunter will feel amazing because I've got new legs.

I must have enjoyed it because I've booked in for a post-marathon session with her on the Thursday.  She's already warned me that she will probabl;y "go a bit deeper" on that occasion.  Gulp image 

• Options

SCharm - not my usual plan of action but I just need to get used to the multi day thing ahead of the desert. That said the more I hear about MdS the more it appears to be a mental as much as a physical battle so there is only so much you can do!

Seren looks like you have a really interesting batch of races this year! Lots of different challenges for you. Really good luck for the weekend - and you RH - hope you both have wonderful runs in good running weather - not too hot not too cold and no head wind!!

Glad the massage went well snapdragon. Mine was pretty painful last night but as you say it hopefully will all pay off!

• Options

YOu folks have a seriously heavy year of running on not to mention the cost!! Pretty expensive these longer races arent they.......

Good news SnapDragon on your massage. Save those new legs for the 25th.......

I have emailed the hotel I am staying in with my porridge request to no avail, may have to find a macdonalds Sunday morning and get some of theirs. Sorry SCharm never go in there normally though when I was travelling alot I used to get porridge from them when out early mornings. Needs must.......image

• Options

Seren Good Luck Sunday image Hope the niggle behaves. At least you will be well rested!image I'm actually looking forward to starting some cycling after London!image
    Redhead - Good Luck to you on the first of your consecutive marathon weekends. image
    Hope the weather stays fine but not too hot for you image

• Options

Good luck Seren and Redhead. 

Mark - if its a choice between porridge from MacDonalds or Starbucks I will send OH into Starbucks for me!!! 

• Options

Good luck for the weekend Seren and RH.  Look forward to race reports next week.

• Options
    Gd evening all. Thought i'd put my pennysworth into the porridge debate. M&S do a pot of instant porridge that u just put water in and stir. Tis nt bad tasting neither. Am gna take a travel kettle to trav lodge and do that.

Birdy your crazy with all those runs! Brilliant tho.

I had physio last night and she was pleased. Knee much better and thigh looser. Just going to tick over with some light seshs now before next Sun.

A thank you to all of you on here for the support, encouragement and advice over the last few months it's been priceless.

Stay classy my friends.