Options

sub or about 4h30 hopefully

Comments

• Options

Wow, some of you guys have got some serious running events going on this year. Respect.

Snapdragon, many thanks for your feedback. I went to see my local Physio this afternoon (she charged £35 instead of £40) and she told me that my legs are aliened perfectly for the shoes I'm wearing and that my problem was over training. She also sold me some Sorbothane shock stopper insoles for my shoes for £15. I was planning on a final 10 or 13 on Sunday, but now I'll wait to see how my thighs and hips are. I've done three long runs of 20, 21 and 22 not to mention the long runs working up to them, and also 16 last weekend so I feel that I've got  enough runs in me.

I really hope that the overseas runners are able to make it over OK. Can you imagine doing all that training spending all that money on travel and accommodation only to be stopped by a bloody dust cloud. That would seriously p*** me off.

Oh I forgot to mention that my Physio told me to try a heated lavender bag which I know my mum just happens to have, so I'll be borrowing that for a while.

• Options

6 miles around the park in the beautiful sunshine. Boy it was hard work! I am now 'Fat Boy Run '.Quite funny when you think there's a small matter of a marathon a week on Sunday. OMG! Good news is that my knee is fine (but I did take some ibu this morning just in case). Perhaps another 3 miler on Monday and a 2 miler on Wednesday and then I'll be all set.

How is everyone?

• Options

I struggled to run the 1k to my starting point for my marshalling today at the park run................image

I hope its all in the mind and tomorrow i will be fine......they have just changed the course at my marathon on the website sop its even more repetitiveimage

great for supporters.boring for me running up and down an industrial estate.......instead of more time on the scenic millenium coastal path.....but i suppose even that could get boring after a few miles

• Options

From 4 degrees a week or so ago, the forecast for next Sunday is now up to 16... http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoforecasts/forregdaily.aspx... maybe the volcano is affecting the weather? 

I ran 7 miles around Hampstead Heath this morning in glorious sunshine; if it's like that next Sunday, we'll be OK.

Interested to hear about what other people are planning after the VLM.  Ultras are just a tad beyond my limit I fear, but I am thinking of a summer half - can anyone recommend anything somewhere in/near London?  

Shauna - I hope you're feeling a bit better!

Take care all.

• Options
    evening everyone.

managed to get over my bout of man flu and got out for a steady 6 mile this morning. other than a 3 mile trot on tuesday that's me done.

after vlm i've got a few 1ok's and half marathons planned. plus want to get some swimming done and get out on my bike more as hopefully next year i'll be having a go at iron man.

hope everyone enjoy's the final week of preperation.
  • Options

right then..... I'm all dressed but had a late night last night because of a presentation do......I slept badly......my knees feel as if they have already ran a marathon and I ache..............

do all par for the course really.................I will either drop out at 10 miles or get a staggering new PB.................

anyway good luck to redhead at Brighton and anyone else doing that one.......good luck to all running today... and I will give you my race report of the first Llanelli marathon later on today...image

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭
    Final preparations not going well here. Stuck in lanzarote.

Hoping to fly to Madrid Wednesday and get home from there.

Wish we'd gone to Bognor for Easter now!
  • Options
    Hi Everyone,

Just been out on a final LSR of 10miles and what a lovely day to do it! Even caught the sun on my legs :-0
    2 short runs left probably a 3/4miler Tuesday and a fast mile Wednesday and that's me done till ext Sunday!
    Hope it's not to warm I ran the London Marathon in 2007 when it went rather hot! All i can say is aim for the showers on the course they will bring welcome relief!
    What days are you all off to collect your race numbers? Be nice to meet some of you if your around.

• Options

Hello everyone,

Just a quick message to wish everyone the very best for next Sunday. My training has gone really well and I'm relieved to have got through it all with no injury concerns. I'll be running from the Blue Start with number 15492 and I am hoping to run with the 10 min/mile pace group for as long as possible.

Take care everyone and have a great 26.2 miles.

• Options

Just struggled round what should have been an easy 6 1/2 miler. Saying that I did have to slow down to 10 minute miling at the start image

Will post results of the week's juicing sometime tomorrow. I'll weigh in the morning, hope to post once at work.

Good luck everyone - it's 2:30, this time next week it'll be 4 hrs 45 and we should all be finished or atleast on the home straight!

• Options

Hi all, did my last run today; a10 miler. Hips are slightly sore and I expect worse during the latter stages of the race, but I'll finish even if I have to slow right down.

Gladrags, I really hope that you can make it back in time. good luck.

• Options

Hi all

way too hot for running marathons............

managed to keep to 10 min miling till 17 and then started slowing down.son joined up with me just after 19 as we had to go past the finishing are at 20 miles...............he didn't stop talking motivationally for 7 miles and when i was hurting and wanting to walk at 20 miles he wouldn't let me walk..with his help I got my sub 4:30.....imageimageimageimage........waiting for official time but 4:25 ish...................I don't want to do that agin for a while.not sure how redhead manages it.

so bathed and ready for a nap nowimage

• Options
    Wahooo! Well done Seren!!! imageimage cool time too! image
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Wow, Brighton rocked alright!

Fantastic crowd support to rival London. Great marshalls, drink stations, organisation, goody bag and medal.

I stormed past Fat Boy Thin (HA!) at mile 23 and finished in 4:57 so was happy with that as I don't do well in the heat and paced myself accordingly.

Hope this turns into an annual event as I loved it. image

Haven't read back yet but must say well done to Seren. Yippeeeeeee to your shiny new pb. Excellent stuff!

Off to forage for wine..............................
  • Options

Well done Redhead and Seren!

• Options

Well done redhead and Seren... you are an inspiration for me for next week.

Anyone want to run with me? i have heard that having someone to talk to helps.... i wouldnt know, i have run every run i have ever run on my own....!

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

brilliand redhead and seren!

flight booked to madrid on wed morning so should be ok (unless ash drifts further south??)

have also booked halstead mara as back up - think london is going to be shot to pieces if i do make it (carbo loading and resting not easy when trekking across europe) - so am tempted to run the second one for a better time?

have had too much beer. off to bed. feeling happier tonight! image

• Options

Woohoo Seren imageimageimage Well done!!! You must be elated, I know how much you wanted that image You deserve it. Wayhay imageimageimage

Redhead brilliant start image Well done image Sounds like a great day image

Here we go everyone!!!!image The pace has been set !!!imageimageimage

I've had a brilliant weekend! My son has returned home from Afghanistan, he didn't tell me and it was a complete surprise as there are no flights!!!! He arrived by a combination of air, boat and road. It was so lovely to hug him again image

• Options

Redhead & Seren, well done to you both.

Relaxed, I'm really pleased for you. What a surprise.

Take it easy this week guys, I've got two weeks off work; rest before the Marathon and rest after.

• Options
    Congratulation Redhead and Seren - pressure on the rest of us now!  Did a nice 7 mile off road run yesterday with the club felt good, doing 3 miles Tuesday then its rest for me.  I just hope the rumours on the news last night that the Marathon may get cancelled because of the elites not being able to get to London are just that a rumour.
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Still on a high from yesterday!

What I haven't mentioned yet is what happened on Thursday/Friday. As usual with me there is always something happening and so it was on Thursday that my throat started to hurt and my nose started to run. I'd managed to avoid everyone at work who coughed or sniffled but one must have got through. Anyway, I dosed myself up on Lemsip Max tablets and copious amounts of caffeine to get through the 2 photo-shoots for the local papers. I was supposed to be doing an interview on ITV Meridian too but because of the volcanic ash and the live Political debates their scheduling changed dramatically. Grrrrrr. Anyway, they said they really wanted to talk to me as I'm 'quirky' (!!!!!!!!) so we arranged that I'd go to Brighton on Friday and do a live 2 minute interview with the weatherman in the park where the marathon would start on Sunday.

Friday I was feeling yukky but I had a radio interview in the morning then had to dash to Brighton to do the weatherman thingy so that kept my mind of things. Then Saturday dawned and I felt like sh!t and that's putting it politely. So, more caffeine and tablets plus a day of rushing around on my feet all day at work got me through but I was really getting worried about Brighton.

Anyway, after the inevitable tears when I got home, Mike gave me a couple of glasses of red wine to calm me down, cooked tea and we had an early night. When I woke up in the morning I could still feel my throat but it felt manageable so I think the combination of adrenalin, caffeine and ibuprofen got me round!

Today I am having a quiet day but will go for a walk this afternoon to stretch my leggies.

SCharm, I don't think they'd cancel it as there is too much charity involvement.

Hope you are all resting now for VLM. Take care.
  • Options

They will not cancel the marathon...might cancel the elite race as they won't want to give away big prize money to some mediocre runner..............well medicre for elite standards that isimage

redhead.makes your achievement even more impressive........rest up this week..........

I'm hopefully going to get a walk in this afternoon....

• Options

Fantastic Redhead and Seren well done especially with not feeling too well Redhead.

I drove from work to Dover and back to pick up my daughers and pals, a nice 10 hour drive so felt bit stiff on Saturday morning. Had to cancel the bag packing charity event with Tescos as had to get ready Saturday pm for the barn dance event I was compering. Raised a couple of hundred quid, but not as many turned up as a few families couldn't get back from their Easter holidays.

Did a 7 miler on Sunday and enjoyed it though the hamstring is going to slow me down as its still giving me some pain, pain killers will see me through and hopefully avoid too much damage if I go steady.......

Stay calm we are nearly there. Thanks for the porridge advice Crouchy will try and get some this week......

• Options

Having juiced last week I've lost another 6 lbs! WA HOOOOOOOOO!!! Now a more sprightly 9st 5lbs though it's still a stone above where I should be for my iccle height! Hopefully it'll give me that edge to keep at 10min milng on Sunday!

6 days to go, 6 days to go, eeek aye blisteryo 6 days to go!

• Options
    Mark my hamstyring was nagging right up to the day of the marathon and did me proud ( with the double strength painkillers ) ... hopefully yours will follow suit...
  • Options

Congrats to Seren and RH!! Awesome efforts both! Enjoy the recovery....obviously your recovery will have to be fairly swift RH!!

Hope everyone is enjoying the carbs! I'm increasingly thankful I'm travelling up to scotland by train on Friday or my ultra would be out of the window....

• Options

Birdypie.

I was taking a lovely girl just before llanelli.she had done an ultra the 2 weekends proir to the marathon and is doing the highland fling next weekend...........she was lovely........don't think she has been doing them long but she seems to be hooked.......image

• Options

I dont like this tapering lark. I feel lazy. My pasta didnt go down well at lunch cant really be bothered to eat it!

Also had a shit nights sleep last night was thinking about the race not worrying but it kept me up!

Mark go for the apple and sultana porridge from M&S its niiiiceee.

Relaxed love the fact after caffeine, ibuprofen and lemsips the thing that really got you to relax was Red Wine. Why arent the NHS funding this as a healh remedy.

• Options

Crouchy...........will send my OH to M and S tomorrow and see what they have thought the buxton one is abit small. Sure there will be one in Brent Cross near to where I am staying on Friday night to shop for some breaky.............

When am I allowed to pack my bag??????image

• Options
    Crouchy - I can't stand the M&S porridge, tried to goldon syrup one and it was revolting is the apple one better?