Options

Paris Marathon - 2005

Comments

• Options
    well done to you then RB! You'll get sub
    three on the next one!!
    When is Dublin? I should really do that being a plastic paddy and all! Also having a million Spud relatives supporting might put the rocket up my a'se!
  • Options

Sorry to read about Graz. Unfortunately, despite what others might say, these things do happen to even the best prepared and equipped runners. But the important thing is that he arrived home safe and well!

I'm back at work and actually quite perky!
    My legs still have a dull soreness. And my right little toe is a real mess - and bloody sore.

Am toying with going down to watch in London on Sunday. We'll see.

As to running, I've no plans to race beyond 10kms in the near future. I'd like to concentrate more on general exercise - running, cross-training, weights. More variety.

• Options
    Hi All. Thanks to everyone for their words of support, it helps. Feeling much better. Saw Dr this morning, wants me to wait a week before further tests. Can’t see there being a prob. Just want to start training again. And drinking. It’s been weeks since I woke with a hangover……although the last few days felt pretty similar.

I'll be watching and cheering on Sunday from the comfort of me sofa. Sure everyone will have a great day.
  • Options
    Tim - how did you do? What time did U finish? Ahead of me afterall I bet - my finish time was 4:43:15 - so am thrilled to get sub5 - x
  • Options
    Hail Hail

Thanks Fattty.
    Dublin will be Mon 24th Oct. If my calendar is correct. Yes, a Monday. Public holiday in Ireland.
  • Options
    Hail Hail

Glad to hear that you're OK Graz. Don't go back too hard too fast.

Well done GM. Chuffed for you.
  • Options

Go Martini

As some of the others know, I made my final decision to start on Saturday. Needless to say, Saturday night was virtually sleepless.

Because of my lack of training (averaged only 18 miles a week and 2.5 runs a week over 20 weeks) decided to adopt the army 'run/walk' strategy.

So ran to each km marker, then walked for one minute. Managed very, very steady and even pace all around

Stats:-

Time - 4:47
    First half - 2:23
    Second half - 2:24

'Running' segments 23.6 miles in 4:07
    'Walking segments' 2.6 miles in 40 minutes

Had I run all the way at 'running' pace, I'd have been round in about 4:30. Question is, in the circumstances, would I have lasted. In my view, discretion was the better part of valour.

• Options
    RB, the gels were good mate, although I ended up sharing them with Bern! I did get bad stomach cramps afterwards, but my Sunday diet of Toast, Jam, Yoghurt, Isostar bars, Lucozade, Gels, Oranges, Water, Sugar Cubes, Cake!, Jelly Babies, and then a burger and chips at the finish might have had something to do with that!

Who said running was good for you??!
  • Options
    WTG Tim - sorry not to have seen you en route. Bet we were in sight of each other most of way.

I was doing run/walk too, but not as structured as U. I ran to km markers and walked for 25steps ran for 500steps until had next km in vision and kept on running b4 walking again. No shame in it what-so-ever.

What's your running no. so I can look up your pic?
    Mine's 42285
  • Options
    Has anyone managed to get on to the photo site ? I've tried about every mins for the last 2 days but no success.

I want to see if I look as bad at the finish as I felt.
  • Options
    RB, thought you and your whole family were lovely. I know just what it's like trailing little ones around a new city...fun but exhausting! I am surprised and impressed that you managed Dland after a marathon!!

Looked out for you Go Martini, sorry to have missed you. Well done to you.
  • Options
    Nope no seen pics yet despie checking every 5 mins
  • Options
    Hi Patouka - how's the back?

Have no intentions of running for another week or so ie, till my knee sorts itself out and then into a 1/2 marathon as a loosener!

will be at FLM on Sunday getting soaked (sorry folks but that's the forecast) under the big yellow Stragglers banner at 20 miles - so if you 're running look out for us and you'll get a big cheer. BTW the Chandos pub in trafalgar sq. will be the HQ for post race liquids if anone's interested

PS. Bern welcome back!
  • Options
    Are you many connected?

Has anyone seen any photos yet?
  • Options
    yes I saw one of myself.......... but that was too scarey. Im sure you all look like beautiful and elegant gazelles in all of yours
  • Options
    oh and thanks RB - i think Id def be divorced if I ran Cloggy and then dublin marathon. Next year! Up Tipperary and all that!
  • Options

Go Martini

My number was 42503. Red top ("Tim" on front and back) with black shorts.

• Options
    I am Many Connected also? What am I doing wrong? Wouldn't mind seeing myself whilst high on sugar cubes.

Come on then everyone - what was your number so we can have a butchers at everyone else (when it works), I'll start:

CoopersRow - 46298.
  • Options
    Fatty 24290 - Im the one without the moustache
    i too, overloaded on Sugarcubes - bloody marvellous! I put them in my water bottle though for immediate effect!
    oh and sucked on chocolate buttons........
  • Options
    ShivaShiva ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

I have a hangover today, felt so good to down a few pints of guiness last night that I forgot I had to teach today. Legs are back to normal, may try a gentle run in a day or two.

Glad you're on the mend Graz, and thats a great time GM and RB, well done.

I mangaed to get onto the photo-site at 6 this morning, only one photo of me up, and I looked like I was about to collapse.
  • Options
    Fattty, we know you have a moustache really, so don't try and hide it. I heard you were really the front runner in a Queen tribute band that often plays the country's Chicago Rock Cafe's......
  • Options
    ok ok I do have one.......but from what I was reading earlier CR, men from your part of the world, prefer it!
  • Options
    It's not that we prefer it, just the majority of the women around here have it!! So we have no choice. Coincidental that most women around here are called Tasha.
  • Options
    First time I've actually posted in the forum, seems you guys had fun like me in Paris. This was my first oversea marathon event and found it quite different from London and other UK runs. The organization was good in most parts, but did anyone else find it a bit un-nerving waking across to the start on the Champs-Elysées with all the cars still whizzing round the Arc? I'm pleased with my 3.46 time even though I was on for a 3.30 until I ran out of juice at 30KM. Why didn't they provide Iso drinks like London. The French don't seem too fussed by marathons I guess as there wern't big crowds and I felt the atmosphere was not there, not many fancy dress or charity runners. The event would be quite different if we were all on bikes?
  • Options
    David, I was also surprised about lack of iso drinks but overall thought the turn out wasnt that bad..........considering I didnt see one advert around paris about the event!
    and CR, you should leave all the Tasha's and head south - you know in London the streets are all paved with gold, dont you?
    There are still women with moustaches too!
  • Options
    David, I thought much the same as you. The crowds weren't bad but the incredible atmosphere of the last few miles in London wasn't there.

I know what you mean about their attitude to closing the roads - what really made me laugh was that competitors were arriving at the start by car less than an hour before the start and finding parking spaces at the roundabout !! Here you struggle to get that close to the start for a local 10K with 100 runners !
  • Options
    Fattty, I see your from Essex, and from my "dealings" with Essex beauties, I'm not so sure paved with gold is quite the right expression!! Maybe paved with makeup, or paved with Burberry would be more apt!! (apologies, no offence meant to Burberry)

P.S. I love you really.
  • Options
    dealings? Is that dealing in the true sense of the word? Exchanges of money as part of some transaction?
    Essexshire is a beautiful county (if you ignore 75pct of it and close your ears to some of the sounds which emit from the mouths of locals)
    I used to work in Burberry during my well spent youth - so you wouldnt catch me in any of their designs - I also once worked in selfridges.......selling Christmas trees........... in August....off at a tangent............oh did you see that tumbleweed go rolling by?.....
    And of course you love me - in a virtual sense
  • Options

Start of proper list:-

Tim - 42503