Options

Cardiff Marathon 2005

Comments

• Options
    oops
    i missed the bit in the middle
    oh for an edit button

Catch up with Dawn in a bright yellow t shirt.She was running with her hubby-and Id heard them arguing from mile 12 .She didn’t want to hold him back-and needed a walk.He wanted to stay with her.Eventually he heads off and Dawn starts to look happier.now she can run her own race.I know that feeling.We chat for a little while, and the she gets her pace back and heads off into the distance.

Past the stadium(no gin this time)
    Hit half marathon point in 2.20-that’s quite good for me these days----
    and back out onto St Mary street where I stop briefly to chat with one of my ex colleagues-a senior nurse from Cardiff
    “What are you doing here Ruthie?”

Quoth I
    “Oh just running my 25th marathon”

And then who should come loping along but Matt the Brum!!
    Goodness this is more of a social event than a race!!!!
    Am sorry to hear he has pulled out
    He runs with me for half a mile or so-and then Im on my own again
    Just as well
    Im at the snivelly feeling sorry for myself stage-and it can only get worse.

Well I was still moving forward –albeit slowly so am surprised to reach 15 miles in 2.44
    What?
    Im walking a LOT here
    Right
    Here comes the barrage again
    Team Macmillan are shouting for all runners now-that’s nice.
    Im noticing a pain in my right instep and I know my back and chest are slowly being rubbed away
    It hurts
    Im huffing and putting one foot in front of the other
    Glucose tablets aren’t working
    Oh god we arent even at 18 miles yet
    And my Garmin seems to be 0.4 miles in front of the mile markers.
    People start to overtake me-but they are people hobbling and limping
    Im not even injured-but I just cant get going.
  • Options
    Well done Hippo.
    You must be slightly deranged to do 2 marathons so close together!!
    But then again I cannot even contemplate 1
  • Options
    My brain clearly doesnt work musketeer
  • Options
    Great report hipps and well done on your 25th marathon! It was my 20th but it will be a few years until I make 25.I am made of weaker stuff and don't do back to back marathons;-)

Good to meet you at the start line Matt the Brum. You looked like a man on mission in the first mile- and I couldn't see you after that! Sorry that you had to pull out. I would be well happy with your half marathon time though.

Still feeling a bit jaded after what is after all my 7th slowest marathon. Still can't be too bad as I'm looking in the race calender to see what races I can enter in the next few months. Doing the legoland 10k next week- only for laughs though.
  • Options
    thats cos you dont do em slowly banana
  • Options
    Great report Hipps, wish I could remember my race half as well!!!!!!
  • Options
    its possible at my speed tinny
    didnt i say id get mac donalds in the report
  • Options
    I bet noone really reads that report
    ;))
  • Options
    OK guys and gals - whats the next one to be ? Any suggestions ? Still cant walk properly but raring to go . Dont really fancy Luton simply cos its a 3 lapper , so would welcome any suggestions for around early December .
  • Options
    yep
    abingdon
    ok its full

er marathon silly season is now over
    er how about the cornish on nove 20th?
    or you will have to go abroad
  • Options
    Excellent race report Hippsy. You bring it into perspective. It sounds like you gave this one a bit of a bashing from the damage report.

TTM, how on earth do you manage to run without looking at your watch? I'd be looking in shop windows and the Town Hall for any clues. I even asked the Garmin boys for cross checks on distance to back it all up.

Snowdonia? No chance.

I appreciate the Tin Man thoughts. I know those legs. WD40 anyone?

PS If you write to the organisers (SAE?)I'm sure that they'll send a medal if you completed the course.
  • Options
    Blisters-yeah

but at least all the bleeding wasnt over my sheets
    i was away on a course
    Im ok now
    bit sore
    ready for sunday
    you doing it?
  • Options
    No point.
    I can't walk.
  • Options
    well its only tuesday-loasda time
    I dont like to ask
    but-er i havent seen a soda head report
  • Options
    No Sodahead report yet, but I chatted to him after the race, so he's alive, he did a decent time (not spilling the beans), and stayed in Cardiff an extra night.

I can't believe that this was only his second marathon, and that his first was in London this year, with 2:42. I don't think that there were many other Loftus AC club mates at cardiff.............
  • Options
    Scooby - that was so lovely you crossing the line with hubby

Hippo - your just amazing, how do you do it.

Im starting to feel alot better, my legs are getting faster and thankfully the sicky feeling has almost gone.

• Options
    Well done all,

am jealous as out of the runnign game at the mo prob stress fracture so only light jogging til diagnosed properly on 2 nov.

glad you all seem happy, and hippo great to see youre still mad nuvver mara on sun!!
  • Options
    baldyyyyyyyyyy
    noooooooooo
    Getly
    i do it shittily and slowly
    then you can keep doing em
    (its still hard work for me tho)
  • Options
    Loftus
    ahhhhhhhhh
  • Options
    lots of talk about Abingdon = when is it any links?
  • Options
    Hipps - fantastic report. Really good, you did great! I read every single word! And yes that's is where I thought I saw you, we will meet up.

Damage? My legs are very swollen around the ankles, my quads, hamstrings and calfes are stuffed and I have 3 nasty toes. One is really very bad, no nail left and very red and swollen right through the toe. Back to flat footed walk and blatent hobble. Lifting up the hips rahter than roll the foot.

But I don't care, no not one little bit. If I had the time again, i'd do it again. Not a doubt about it!

Damage is temporary and I am now officially having a break until it's sorted, but the achievment and memory of Cardiff is forever!

:0)

• Options
    Now pass the WD40 blisters!
  • Options
    Hipps, great report. Cannot remember my own race half as well.

Damage report down here was mostly psychological rather than physical. Swimming / drowning on Monday did not help matters. Feel better today and have been out for a couple of enjoyable and very relaxed runs.

Still no news from Sodahead???

That's it marathon wise til the spring for me. I think Rome or Rotterdam (if I don't get into London). Anyone know of any other goodies (having run London, Paris, Hamburg, Madrid and Prague) already which are all spring races
  • Options
    Sam he's put some on the training thread, we're waiting for the next instalment!
  • Options
    bern
    I met your auntie helen on my course
    abo is net weekend
  • Options
    scooby, very good will visit there now
  • Options
    Soda's live on line as we speak.
  • Options
    gently does it - yes it was special, but also

<<scoobs does the honesty thing yet again>>

BLOODY annoying as I could have got a better time!!!!!!!

:0/
  • Options
    To 8iron,Matt Dowle,Nrg-b,Taff Boy and Chris Humphreys THE COURSE WAS EXACTLY
    MEASURED.
    There were TWO British Championships within the RACE.It was Measured by Calibrated Wheel by TWO GRADE ONE Measurers.
    Plodding Hippo is also misguided, Last years Race also had a 6 HOUR Cut Off !