Options

Cardiff Marathon 2005

Comments

• Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    mjrd: Thanks. Feel much better that the 24 GPS satellites orbiting the Earth, maintained by the USA, used by countless civilian and military SatNav systems the world over must've got it wrong. Yep thats it.

;-)))
  • Options
    I just feel that I run more than 26.2- not necessarily that the course was incorrectly measured.
  • Options
    I'll catch up on this thread in the next day or two. Must read Hippo's report and everyone else's for that matter.

I found the race very tough indeed. The marathon course first half when we collided with the 1/2 marathoner's was ackward to say the least.

Lots of 1/2 marathoners getting upset at being barged out of the way by marathoners and lots of marathoners getting upset at having to sidestep their way through the 1/2 marathoners.

The support was great for the runners. The day was fantastic. The finish perhaps the best marathon finish in the country.

Well done everyone, well done indeed.
  • Options
    Sodahead - good to hear from you!! Had to resort to lurking on the Training Thread to see how you got on - congratulations!!
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Sodahead & Blisters: Got a great video clip of the three of us standing at the front line beaming away in anticipation. Only marred by me shouting "GO BARNSLEY" :)

Also have a clip of me running the last lap only to be overtaken by some other runner just before the finish line. Oh well. I care not one jot.

Will see how I can upload these somewhere somehow???
  • Options
    nrg-b, Not Suggesting Satellite WRONG.
    Suggesting You ran a different line to what the Course Measurers took, as you were carrying the Damn Thing. The JONES COUNTER IS THE ONLY RECOGNISED FORM OF COURSE MEASUREMENT FOR ROAD AND TRACK ATHLETICS IN THE WORLD !
  • Options
    Morning!
    Soda-that was an exciting report-worth waiting for!
    mjrd-I meant that by 5 hours there were no marshals on the course last year and the roads were opened by 5 hours
    I agree thats different to a cut off where you are pulled off the course-but still not ideal if you arent sure where to go

nrg-do you suppose ALL of us with garmins did a detour?
  • Options
    I have come to the conclusion after using my GPS for around nearly 2 years it always measures races long and agree with MIRD .It is similar to FLM if you dont follow the blue line you run longer and then there is the weaving in and out of folk.
    So I wont't wear it at important races a big shame as my coach loves to see my speed and all data it can provide.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    poppy
    you are right about FLM ad weavig about-but i certainly didt really need to do that at cardiff-not riught at the back
    My garmin has been spot on for all my other races-except for wyre forest half-anf you can understand that in a forest!
  • Options
    morning

while you are talking about GPS's and accuracy, I have to say that if you look at the positioning bit on the Garmin, it'll tell you what sort of accuracy to expect given the position of the satelites. I didn't look at mine - but when I have it has varied by many feet/yards. Perhaps if there was an inaccuracy of even 24 foot or so per mile, it would make a huge difference over 26 miles. Reading the postings on here it seems that the innacuracy was much larger for the full than the half.

Having said that, there was no excuse for the shambles at the finish - and THERE IS NO NEED TO SHOUT MIRD!!!!
  • Options
    Cdk
    shambles?

mind you there was hardly ayone left when i finished
    what happened in the half?
  • Options
    Hi all

I did the half and wore my Polar sdm which came up with a total distance of 13.5 miles. I did do alot of weaving in the first few miles so think that was pretty accurate. I don't have the problems of losing a signal as the polar works in a different way, but sometimes during races it gets a little 'confused' which I put down to it maybe picking up readings off of other peoples' gadgets????
  • Options
    LOL to "confused" polar
  • Options
    Maybe a blue line might have helped, so that there wasn't a possibility we weren't running the shortest course.

Having looked at my GPS track plotted on a map, it does show that there were some tracking problems in the park, where the trees were blocking the GPS signal.

What I do find odd though, is the area where I was getting the biggest discrepancy was in the open, coming up to the barrage, where it is clear from the plot that the GPS was tracking well. The course map at that point shows a different route to the one we ran. I think the description of the route is accurate, although it's hard to tell as I don't know the area (ABP car park?). I can believe that the map is just intended as an indication, and the text description is the more accurate version. Has the course been changed at all? Is the map out of date? It doesn't include the loop at the end of Cargo Road where the outgoing runners split from the incoming ones.

Ah the curse of racing with a GPS! I hope I'm not over-analysing my race!
  • Options
    I'm glad my Garmin is not that accurate as it put my elevation at MINUS 47ft at 3 miles which means I was running under water!!!
  • Options
    Hipps - we hit the finish line and came to a grinding halt. We could not move stretch or refuel - we were held up for 45 minutes because of the queue for the medals. As it happens I was ok (I didn't work hard enough obviously), but friends of mine were stiff and sore due, we think, to not being able to cool dowm properly and stretch.

<and we also had to fill our own goodie bags>
  • Options

oh dear
    not good

er what did you get i your bag
    just curious
  • Options
    Nice touch G.T
  • Options
    Goodie bag???
    Errm.. didn't see that, I was trying hard not to get trampled in the huge crowd desparate to get their medals. Being little can be scary in that situation. I had peole reaching over my head from all sides while I gradually got more and more squashed, I nearly left without one thinking I'd go back when it was clearer but I was packed in tight!!
    A real shame after such a great finish running into the stadium. The dishing out of medals really needs to be looked at!!
  • Options
    TT
    your pic looks annoyed!
  • Options
    The 'goodie bag' comprised of and orange, banana, and a Wagon Wheel.

We were all ferried up the nearest exit as soon as we finished, and not in front of the water stand first. I think I ended standing still waiting for the medal and goodie bag for about 45-50 mins too.
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    mjrd: Did you not note the ' ;-))) ' under my post?

Cdk: Thanks!

GymTrainer: Where you aquajogging? :-)

WSS: If there were a blue line indicating the route then maybe it would get over crowded with the HM and Mara runners? How about two different colored lines, one for each race?

I had the GF set up for automatic 1 mile splits but through the race it was on heart rate mode, though I only glanced at the "Damn Thing" every now and then to confirm my notion of perceived effort.

Hope everyone is recovering well.
  • Options
    that reminds me of reading half year before last

I suppose a funnel system needs to be worked out-but weret there 6000 for the half
  • Options
    re:your pic looks annoyed!-He has a look of "get your butt out there and run"
  • Options
    ok ok

Im getting my kit on now
  • Options
  • Options
    Are there photos?

I've looked at the course on the website, and it's different to the one we ran. The start is further up the course, and again the loop before the barrage is missing. Did we run the measured course, or was there a change?
  • Options
    maybe the website wasnt updated
    duno
    didnt look
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    No sign of photos yet - the http://www.asiphoto.net/ website still just prompts you to enter an email address to register when you click on the Cardiff race. I've done that but no emails yet.