Options

Lets talk Football

Comments

• Options
    something we agree on gary is that the semi at villa park in 99 was a the best match i've seen live.i still feel that arsenal team had everything and that the vieria/petit midfield was as complete as i've ever seen.it just took a great goal to seperate the sides.
  • Options
    HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Looking like I'll be watching this one in the pub. I didn't get a ticket in the ballot and I'm not having any joy elsewhere. I can normally get ticket from somewhere for even the 'big ones' but they seem to be particularly scarce. Think that tells us something about the significance of the game.

(TB - don't fancy adopting me as another son, do you?)

Pretty much the same as last year anyway - I was in the 2nd row, Stret End which is great unless everything happens down the far end (like last year). First I saw of the penalty, miss and shenanigans was in the local that evening!
  • Options
    Higs
    I have been a season ticket holder for over 20 years. The last 10 years or so is the reason you can't get a ticket.

I have been disgusted with United recently. Not the team, but the club.

Genuine fans who are not season ticket holders come way down the pecking order when it comes to tickets.
    My seat faces the corporate seats in the South Stand. They all fcuk off about 15 minutes before half-time and don't go back to their seats until around the 55 minute mark.
    Roy Keane got slated for saying what genuine fans have been saying for years. Too many freeloaders watching United who couldn't name the team if you tattooed it on their arm. Can't bring myself to call them fans.

God help us if this Glazier bloke gets his hands on the club.
  • Options
    Palace sixth from bottom. Next stop Europe, what do you reckon?
  • Options
    Can anyone guess who I support?

We got our first league win today in over a month. 14 points, up to eighth (dropped from 7th to 8th after Liverpool won). I hate Doug Ellis, he's the reason we never get anywhere - and he still won't disappear and run a travel agency instead.

I'm watching Man Ure v Arse tomorrow. Should be a good game. Hope Man Ure win it (not that the outcome has anything to do with Villa).

• Options
    Firm prediction: Arsenal will avoid defeat for another 50 matches. Their 100th match will be against QPR at Highbury in the Prem at Christmas 2005.

Arsenal 0 QPR 4.

You read it here first.
  • Options
    Gary, I always thoguth the Arsenal liverppol game way back in the midsts of time when the Arse won 2-0 at Anfield on the last day of the season to lift the title was the best game ever.
  • Options
    RC, not if we beat 3.0 again.
  • Options
    I'm going with: United 1 Arsenal 0.

Believing in conspiracy theories, I think it's strange how the fixture list seems to have come up with MU v Arse for match number 50. Wouldn't have anything to do with trying to hype up a game now would it? If you lok at Arsenal's fixtures before tomorrow's game, it's all teams they couldn't possibly lose to even if they tried. Boro came close though.

How come Arsenal's 10th game of the season, when everyone knows before the season's started that they're 40 games unbeaten, is against MU?

• Options
    Ah, but you won't, Pizza Man! We had a ropey start, it's true, and you deserved that one. Webber was unstoppable, and we were poor. But Cook has blossomed at last, and things are looking up.

But OK, probably not that far up...

Interesting that there is a lot of belief that ManU will win tomorrow. Not just here, but in the media at large.

Arsenal are unquestionably the better team at present, though tomorrow will be a matter of desire, I think. If Utd don't win, they can pretty much say a final goodbye to any title hopes this year. I think this will squeeze a great performance out of them.

But I think Arsenal will hold on - just.

A draw for me. 0-0.
  • Options
    Another step towards Tiger glory as we demolished previously runaway leaders Luton 3-0.

To be fair (as Peter Taylor would say) we've not been playing that well this season but find ourselves in the top 3. When things click and cash strapped Bradford have injuries and suspensions which start to bite who knows...?

Shame that the result of today's Premiership match is academic as we all know it's Arsenal 1st, Chelski 2nd and Manure 3rd.

Then, hmmmm let me see... - how about Liverpool, Newcastle, Villa and possibly one surprise team like Bolton or Everton.

Then I'll stick my neck on the line and predict mid table obscuirity for Boro, Charlton, Birmingham etc.

How about tipping the 3 promoted teams to go straight back down with maybe an established team on the slide (Southampton) mixing it in there before pulling away at the end?

So, just like last year and the year before that and the year before that.
  • Options
    Rc, Cookie is an excellent player to have in the team. He didn't single handedly save us from the drop last year. But he was a big part of the 5 wins in the last 8 games.
    A bit like Tommy Mooney, not the best player in the team but his passion makes up for his short comings.
    Paul Furlong, top scorer, not the same Paul Furlng?
  • Options
    Prediction for today's game (there is just the one isn't there?!): ManU 2 Arsenal 1.

This game is obviously more important for United than Arsenal. Not because that would keep United's title hopes alive (I think it's a done deal - Arsenal will retain the title), but because that would kickstart their season (in CL, FA Cup) and (more importantly) to actually start making some progress in terms rebuilding the team and be ready to challenge again for next season.

On another point, does anybody else feel sorry for Norwich? They impress me everytime I watch them. I mean they play good football but they're just missing that cutting edge. I hope they stay up.
  • Options
    Furlong is enjoying an Indian summer, PM. He's 36 but looks as fit and sharp as a 20 year old at the moment.

BR: just watched Hull on the TV highlights. Looks like you're definitely on the way up. And a personal message from both Pizzaman and me: Thank you, thank you for demolishing Luton.

• Options
    Where's Brooks the Beast when you need him.
  • Options
    Are there any Bristol Rovers supporters? I support them as a second team.
  • Options
    dan dandan dan ✭✭✭
    nope. villa and tamworth.
  • Options
    So you're Villa then. Which specific division are Tamworth in?
  • Options
    Are there any Bristol Rovers supporters? I support them as a second team.
  • Options
    Sorry about that mistake. Somehow the same post from before ended up on there.

So back to my last question, which specific division are you in?
  • Options
    dan dandan dan ✭✭✭
  • Options
    dan dandan dan ✭✭✭
    one below bristol rovers
  • Options
    dan dandan dan ✭✭✭
    God.The villa have fans in middlesex? Wow!

are you a midlander in exile?
  • Options
    Really? I thought you were muchlower than that. Sorry about that :-)

I like following Conference stuff. Wanted Aldershot to go up last season, the team that went out of business from division 4 in 1989 I think it was.

I've noticed in the last two seasons, the top end of the Conference seems to be occupied almost entirely by former Football League teams.
  • Options
    No, I actually come from Bristol, but Villa were the first team I saw at a match.

Do you post on the H&V website much?
  • Options
    dan dandan dan ✭✭✭
    Aldershot came up into the conference the same time as we did.They are a massive club.Onlt time before they get promoted back to the league.
  • Options
    dan dandan dan ✭✭✭
    H+V, no, never.

The conference is indeed full of ex-league clubs, so the standard has rocketed.Its basically an extra league division now.There are just a handful of part-time clubs left, which makes it harder and harder to survive(literally)