Options

Taunton Marathon 2005

Comments

• Options
    YL Sorry for belated reply - tried to access the forum from home computer but it didn't work. Re Cheddar - went up the gorge, along the footpath at the top, along the road then over the hill and down through the fields back to the school - about 7 miles.

Also had a good run yesterday at at the Templer 10 - never done 9.5 miles before even in training so it was hard work.

Are there any other beginners writing on this thread?
  • Options
    Based on a 3:08 will go for 3:10 for Taunton as it's a tougher course and it seems we will get a bit lonely on the 2nd lap.

Sunday 03 April 2005

Marathon:
    Steady - sub 4
    ouchouch also known as Peter Norris - 3.10
    yorkshire lass - sub 3.30
    90 minutes - sub 3:30
    Treforest Gump - 4.29.59
    RichK - 3.45
    Shades

1/2 Marathon:
    Geri h - tbc
    injured Ant
    1/2 Marathon Girl
    Tyango
    ValP

Thinking about it:
    Hilly
    LLL
    Mrs Pants
    Plodding Hippo
    Jen*
    Musketeer
  • Options
    Juggler and I will probably do the half as part of our taper for FLM. LW, I've taken the liberty of adding your name to the "thinking about its" too - Go on you know you want to! Is Richard doing the marathon again? (OK I realise that's a really silly question!)I'll add him to the list, then he'll have to.

Sunday 03 April 2005

Marathon:
    Steady - sub 4
    Treforest Gump - 4.29.59
    RichK - 3.45
    Shades
    RW

1/2 Marathon:
    Geri h - tbc
    injured Ant
    1/2 Marathon Girl
    Tyango
    ValP

Thinking about it:
    Hilly
    LLL
    Mrs Pants
    Plodding Hippo
    Jen*
    Musketeer
    Juggler
    Lin.C
    LW
  • Options
    Lin - How caqn you resist doing two laps?
  • Options
    Sunday 03 April 2005, just tidying up...

Marathon:
    RichK - 3.45
    RW
    Shades
    Steady - sub 4
    Treforest Gump - 4.29.59

1/2 Marathon:
    1/2 Marathon Girl
    Geri h - tbc
    injured Ant
    Tyango
    ValP

Thinking about it:
    Hilly
    Jen*
    Juggler
    Lin.C
    LLL
    LW
    Mrs Pants
    Musketeer
    Plodding Hippo

• Options
    but Steady, Yorkshire Lass was going to pace me, now all these people are in the way, she's even smaller than I am, lost sight of her now, oh well, 3:45 here we come...
  • Options
    Oh dear, never mind. 3:45 now that's tempting.
  • Options
    90m - with London 14 days later I can very easily resist doing 2 laps. In fact I may be able to resist even doing 1!!!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Lin-it seems we'll be on the same start at London. I should see you for the first few mins after the start!:o)

• Options
    Thanks Lin, I am definitely intending to do the half marathon - even had the map out last night to work out my new training route. It's about 3 miles to where it joins the Oake to Bradford road. Only one vicious dog to get past on that road. RW is also a definite, he's after that local man prize again
  • Options
    OuchOuch
    do you really think it will only take an extra 2 mins to complete the course despite the hills?? Here was me allowing at least an extra 10mins!
    Despite living in Dorset and running up some mean bumps as par course I had highlighted a particular mother of a hill to practise the dreaded mile 24 on.
    Maybe I'll only do it once or twice now instead of every other day..............
  • Options
    this is so strange. I keep typing posts, sending, seeing them on screen and then they vanish.
    Has someone banished me?
  • Options
    really wierd, my message has suddenly re-appeared eeek
  • Options
    Is there a ghost in the house?
  • Options
    lol guys

there again it could just be little old me fighting a losing battle with the mighty computer king.

Well I've just got home from a very productive club run. ( miles of fast paced running (trying to keep up with the blokes) and a spot of fartlek thrown in for good measure.

If I keep this up I may even be able to run a marathon in April.
  • Options
    YL

An extra 2 minutes for Taunton, easy a synch...well not really.

But to my optimistic - or is that forgetful - mind, the 3:08 I did in Cardiff, as it was my first, was quite a conservative run as I just wanted to make sure I would finish. So with extra training I should be able to go a bit quicker this time, then as you say the hills..

Quite happy with my position on the list drafting after 90 mins whose gone into an early lead.
  • Options
    Just my luck if someone comes on wanting to use the marathon as a long distance walking event!
  • Options
    Hilly, what is your planned/hoped for time at FLM? I'm relieved there will be someone I know at the start. I already get really nervous just thinking about it. Without Juggler to pace me and stop me going off at 10k pace I'm looking for someone to keep me under control! After the NF I was well confident that I could go for sub-3 at London, but the way I've been running since, there's no chance. Just hoping that a short break before doing some proper training from January onwards will do the trick.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Lin, depending on training I'm hoping to go for 3:12. I couldn't go sub 3 apart from in my dreams! I too am nervous as I feel like everyone is going to be so much faster than me, but I'm determined not to get pulled out too fast-I'll be starting at the back!!

I'm sure you'll be back on form soon! Racing two marathons so close together is going to take you a couple of months to recover from. Come April I bet you'll 'fly'!

Are you going to do Taunton 1/2 at planned marathon pace or race it?
  • Options
    Hi Hilly, I'll be starting at the back minus one then. I'm also really nervous at the thought of everyone else taking off really fast. I do know one other person who is planning to run (did just over 3 hours at Cardiff)so may try to tag on just behind her and see how it goes.
    Taunton really depends how the training is going and what I feel like. It's my local race, I've done it many, many times, the best I've ever managed is 2nd, so I'd dearly love to win it, but unless my previous form returns there's absolutely no chance.
    BTW I still haven't decided definitely about the Full Monty so if you don't mind being "in limbo" till after this weekend my number may be your early Xmas present!
  • Options
    Anyone else doing the Bicton Blister this weekend? (What I really want to know is - if you've done it what's it like?)

Never run in a XC race so quite looking forward to it, as I am mile 24 at Taunton.

(Rough attempt at trying to link both races)

About 17 training weeks to go to Taunton - get your shoes on.

• Options
    I did the Bicton Blister a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. It's mostly run over fairly good tracks, with some muddy bits. As far as I can remember mostly fairly flat but with some short steep "ups and downs" in the woods. Hope you have a good run, look forward to hearing how you get on (clearly a training race in the build up to Taunton, so quite relevant to be on this page!)
  • Options
    I'll be at the Blister tomorrow.

Last year they introduced a large (horse-type) water jump/trough thing about half a mile into the race, so expect to run with wet feet!

I don't remeber it as being at all flat - undulating is more like it - with some sharp ups & downs - but nothing severe. Ground is fairly stoney, sandy in places with some mud/water although it hasn't rained much.

Finish is back through the wet horsey thing and straight up a fairly steep grass hill - more direct than the way you start. That surprised me last year.

I expect I'll do my usual off-road trick of enjoying the run too much & going too slowly. Might try running by HR to guard against this.
  • Options
    Have a great run - I'm doing Hayling 10 but not looking forward to it cos I feel ill and very tired :-(
  • Options
    Blister was good fun - 3 minutes quicker than last year (but I ran it too easy last year).

See hilly got a pb at Hayling (better than my pb as well!) How did you get on?
  • Options
    The Blister - Well that certainly was very different - running whilst your body is sliding sidewards is certainly an art.

Very very scenic, a large field, great conditions giving clear views over a very attractive and unexpected landscape - forest trails, streams, ridges and gorse. But not easy, and as you say 90 mins, an interesting and creative course with plenty of undulations and plenty of nerve-tingling very sharp up and speedy downs.

Couldn't believe the amount of mud and water you squelched through..I was told the water-jump horsey thing was not as deep as last year. Didnt realise how different running XC is road running.

But really enjoyed this as a first XC experience..Raced far too fast for the first couple of miles in the top 10, then got spooked after slipping and ran too warily for the next couple, then picked it up again at the end. Finished 32nd in just over 1:15. Very releived to see the finish.

90 mins- How did the course compare to last year - drier/ wetter?

Bought some XC shoes after the race, so will do XC again..but nothing has mad at the Grizzly or Stagger.

Hope Hayling was also fun.