Options

Halstead Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

Out for run shortly this morning and then an hour long leg massage in preparation for next weekend. (Have you booked yours yet Jo?)

NN
  • Options
    Hi

NN - hope you enjoyed your run and leg massaged. Have just booked mine for the day after.

Stu - how are you feeling today?

No running for me today - will run tomorrow morning though, then one more run during the week and that'll be me done.

Jo
  • Options
    Hi Jo,

Excellent steady 10 miler in about 1:20 I believe, and then a superb leg massage, raring to go for tomorrows race now.

NN
  • Options
    Hi gang,

You will all be pleased to hear that despite a very heavy drinking session last noght I am feeling chipper today!! Looking forward to tomorrows half marathon

Jo in answer to your question about Oz, not emigrating just taking a couple of years out to see Oz and NZ. Have arranged work visas for both and am raring to go unfortunately house sale dragging on. Received my flight ticket today but anticipate having to cancel it at great cost to me!!! Will get there eventually!! Oh and on the basis of all the hassle, England is definitely not aplace I will be hastening back to. If the right job offer comes up will probably not come back -but don't tell my mum I said that!!

Stu
  • Options
    Hi Stu

Good luck with your half marathon tomorrow.

Hope you get your house sale sorted - no wonder you're feeling stressed. Do you know people in Aus/NZ? I have family in Melbourne and have been lucky enough to visit them and love the atmosphere in Aus. You'll have to let us all know how you're getting on.

NN - are you feeling all mellowed out after your massage?

Jo
  • Options
    Hi,

Feeling great, cany wait for the race tomorrow, hopefully improve somewhat on last years performance.

NN
  • Options
    Mornin Gang,

Well just about to head off to Frinton for this half marathon!! Although it doesn't look that far away on the map have been told I need to allow 2 hours to get there!! (so it will actually take me longer to drive to the race than it will to run it!!).

Jo, no family in Aus but I have a friend of a friend out in Sydney. And I will definitely keep you all informed if only to gloat!!!

Right best be going. Catch you all later.

NN, not sure if you will long before your race, but good luck!

Stu
  • Options
    Stu,

Cheers mate, you have a good one.

We are not leaving until 10:30 as its only about 40 miles away and not till noon start, so still relaxing here at the moment.

NN
  • Options
    Hi gang,

Unofficial time for half marathon 1:30:19 and I am really gutted about the 19 seconds. Was on for sub 1:30 but picked up a very painful stitch in the last 2 miles which slowed me up.

NN, its not a bad cause, reasonably flat. Only problem is the few miles along the sea wall. As with Canvey there was a bit of a breeze blowing in the face. Not as windy as canvey but the seafront route was longer today. The intended date for next years race is the 9th May.

Well I'm off to chill now. Looking forward to a relaxing week (running wise anyway). Intend to do a short run Wednseday or Thursday just to keep me loosened up.

Catch you all later.

Stu
  • Options
    Hi Stu,

Good run mate, well done, I can imagine (cos its happened to me) that you thought you had the sub 1:30 in the bag until those last 2 miles. Excellent performance though, and a good warm-up for Halstead.

I managed to get around Woodbridge 10km in 38:03 which I am happy with considering the course, it is only 6 seconds outside my PB of last year also.

Paced it quite well for the first lap, and had some saved for a finish, which rewarded me with 3 victims in the last 100 metres :)

Cant wait until next week either!

Speed session tomorrow night, then 20 miles planned for Tuesday (was Thursday, had to reschedule), and then chill out.

NN
  • Options
    NN,

20 miles on Tuesday - shouldn't you be tapering down now??!!

Congrats on your time today. My best 10km is circa 42 minutes. Been a while since I ran that distance seem to be 10 miles upwards at the moment!

Stu
  • Options
    NN/Stu

Well done - sounds like you both had excellent races today. NN - can imagine how you felt as you passed your 'victims' - it's such a satisfactory feeling! As for me, I ambled round the forest this morning, which was beautiful, 'specially as the trees sheltered us from all the rain!

Jo
  • Options
    Jo, thanx, I always keep a bit in the tank for the finish, those 3 people took me from 17th to 14th, so well happy.

Stu, thanx, I dont follow what the text books say about training, I feel that we all know our own body best, and to follow all the rules means that you are following what suited others, but maybe not yourself.

hehe, thats my thinking anyway :)

NN
  • Options
    Thanks Jo, hopefully it all bodes well for the marathon next week. Might be revising my target down to 3:15 from 3:30 but maybe over optimistic!

NN, I know what you mean about doing what suits you best. As I think I already mentioned, according to the rules I shouldn't have run 13.1 miles today (actually according to the organisers I ran 13.2 miles - thats what the medal says!) but I did. However as this will be my first marathon intend to follow the rules for the last 6 days!! Oh and if we are talking about places, believe my 1;30;19 put me in 21st position and I was only beaten by one woman and then only by about 30 seconds!!! (sorry Jo there's a bit of sexism in all us blokes!!)

Stu
  • Options
    Stu,

I should think after getting a 1:30 half that you would be going for 3:15 wouldnt you?

If you look at predictors they will tell you about 3:10 based on that time.

Good race, well done.

NN
  • Options
    Stu - tut, tut - you may have only been over taken by one woman, but she still overtook you, so there!

Jo :)
  • Options
    Jo,

True enough, but my male pride says that if it wasn't for the stitch I would have taken her easily!! She was after all only about 100 metres ahead of me until the last half mile.

NN, would be good to get around 3:15 but still not sure about the Halstead course. Ahill at 25 miles is going to kill me I expect. Bt then again we have to set our bodies these challenges once in a while, and Frinton has proved I can nearly do it.

Stu
  • Options
    Hi,

I received Stu's email about the team and passed it on. There will be no problem. Teams can be any number, sex is irrelevent, the first three home count. If someone entering on the day wishes to be included in a team there is no problem.Runners who have already entered need to let me know by email Thursday on maurice.young@which.net.

How the entry system works is that the entries either come in by post to Andy or over the internet though the Runners' World site and I then pass them on to Andy.We have now stopped taking entries until the day of the race.

Some of you may know Andy Wilmot, he runs Marathons half marathons or something worse almost every weekend. I don't know how many he is up to now I remember running the New Forest Half about three years ago when he ran his 100th with a poster proclaiming this on my back and getting much respect by mistake, my finest hour(or more like 1.50).

On Wed/Thurs he takes the entries to John Harman of Sudbury who enters them on his laptop. We use Racemaster software. NN may remember John Harman, he and his brother used to be part of Border Breakers and provided the radio coverage and a radio car for the Sudbury and Stour Valley races.

We get 15/20% of our entries on the day, many, runners like Andy who decide during the week where to run at the weekend. An entry form is completed at the late entries desk passed to John, the Racemaster Software can sort by team if there are any late entries.

We try and close the late entries desk at 9.45 but there are always latecomers and we never turn anyone away even if they arrive after the start.

Sorry to have burbled on.

Maurice

• Options
    Hi Maurice,

Nice to have you back, thanks to your daughter for keeping contact whilst you were away too.

Nice info above, I dont think you can give too much info before the event, so all is welcome, as not everyone like me only has 8 miles to travel :)

Oh yes, I remember the Breakers, still in constant contact with Paul Felton as well.

Its a pity the sudbury races had to stop, they were always very good, I especially remember when I was a junior (long long time ago!!) starting in cornard, then running to Bures, and then back along the back road to cornard again, which was 12.7 miles according to my 1st junior trophy at home (had to get that in, hehe), unfortunatley I was too young to do the second lap plus the little to make it a marathon, excellent route though.

Stu, one of my club mates is looking for 3:15, I mentioned that I knew of someone that may be looking about the same, he should be meeting us on the grass for about 9.30am.

Not long to go now........

NN
  • Options
    General point how can any one be mad enough to do over a 100 marathons!! This will be my first (and possibly last), although as I will now definitely be in Oz in time for the Gold Coast marathon, may venutre out and do that!!

NN, stop showing off (junior trophy!!!!). As to your fellow club runner, if he is looking around 3:15 might be good to run together for pace (btw I am terrible at pacing myself so I am hoping he is?!!).
    As you say not long to go now. Not sure if I am looking forward to now or not!!

Stu

Stu
  • Options
    Stu,

Well its the only trophies that I ever won, and not likely to get any these days, sob sob!!

He is an excellent pacer, I have never known him to start off too fast in a race yet.

I am bad at pacing too, but have worked out my plan last night and emailed it to my supporters so that they know where I should be and at what time, that will tell them whether I am up or down, or just right :)

I cant wait, hope the weather brightens up a bit though, I want my photos to be nice and sunny.

NN
  • Options
    NN,

Glad to hear he is a good pacer - will stick on his heals until the last 100 metres and then sprint past him!!!!

Photo's!! The last thing I will be worrying about is what I may or may not look like in a photo!!

Stu
  • Options
    Stu,

He is a bit speedy though, so you will have a have a good turn of speed, he beats me over the shorter distances, gets 10km in about 37mins!

This is his marathon though so is just aiming for 3:15 for flm time.

Good luck on the sprint finish!

Yes, always want some good photos, then I can upload them to my club site :)

NN
  • Options
    NN,

Can put on the sprint finish when required!! That's assuming I am still with him as the finish line approaches!!

Stu
  • Options
    Hey guys,

Is anyone coming from Central London on the Sunday morning? I was thinking of taking the train to Braintree and then getting a cab up to the start. Drop me a line if you want to join me.

thanks
    Dom

Dominic_Sullivan@btopenworld.com
  • Options
    Hi Dom,

I believe Neilruns may be coming up that sort of direction too, it may be worth contacting him, he posted a copule of page ago.

See you Sunday,

NN
  • Options
    Dom,

I was coming by train, but I've found someone to drive me now.

Neil
  • Options
    Neil,

Chauffeur driven eh??!!!!

Stu
  • Options
    Hi guys

Sounds like everyone is well and truly prepared for Sunday. I also hope the weather clears up - the thought of running 26 miles in the rain isn't exactly appealing, but I suppose it will be more of a challenge!

Jo
  • Options
    Hi Jo,

Don't mind a little bit of rain, helps to keep you cool!

Stu