Options

Sub 4.15

12346»

Comments

• Options
    had a bit of a disaster at the weekend - was supposed to do 18miles, but somehow selected a route which was basically a really steep climb for about 5miles (in the lake district so you can imagine how steep it was). ended up being completely knackered after 12miles so had to call it a day. very cross with myself but am hoping that it won't make too much difference now. also was out walking for 5hrs at a time over easter so am hoping that was good for me. would it be stupid to do a 16miler at the weekend, if I keep my midweek milage down to 15miles or so?
  • Options
    Hi Newbie. I'm aiming for about 30 miles total this week. I wouldn't go over 15 on the long run though, however tempting it seems. I've noticed in the last 6 weeks or so that running up to 13 miles is now easy, 15 miles is okay and then it becomes very unforgiving on the body.
  • Options
    Hello All, Did my last long run (19 miles in 3 hours) last Saturday. For long runs (15 miles +) I've done a 20, 2 x 19, 2 x 17 and a 16. I'm planning a 30 mile week this week (including a 13 mile long run) and 20 mile week next (with 8 mile long run) and very little in the final week. How about everyone else ? My paranoia is increasing as the training is decreasing ! and am staying clear of anyone with the slightest sniffle ! Just off to check I still have my registration form for the 27th time today......
  • Options
    Hiya everyone. I need some advice! I have been ill with this stupid flu thats been going around and havent been able to do more than 7 miles in training (and that was a bad idea s it knocked me for six!). I did a 19 miler in 3 hours bout 5 weeks ago which went well but since then I havent done much more than 9 miles because of being ill and going on holiday. I really want to do a 19 miler again tomorrow- possibly more- just so I know I can do it. would this be totally stupid? I just want the psychological reassurance that I can still do the distance. I also need to get my fitness back as my lungs were shot after the flu. Has anyone done this before so close to the marathon?

Its my first one and Id love to do it sub 4.15!

Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Nikki x
  • Options
    nik - this might be a bit late now - but don't do 19 miles at this stage! You won't recover in time for 17th. Just take it easy up to the race. If you don't feel you will be able to do it then defer. You don't have to make this decision until Friday 16th.
  • Options
    Did 12.5 miles yesterday in 1-53, which was 9 minute mile pace. Fitness felt good, legs were a bit tired and the sun affected me a bit. I felt dehydrated in the last couple of miles, but this was also due to having a few cheeky beers the night before.

Anyway - nothing over 8 miles now before race day, so hopefully I will get a chance to rest properly.
  • Options
    eek- well I did 20 miles yesterday in 3 hours - feel fine today, just a bit stiff on one thigh. Mentally its doen me the world of good and, although its gone against advice, I feel so much better now. So now its rest rest rest for me. I looked on the weekly schedule from RW and it says do 12 miles on Sunday, but I think ill just do 8 or 9 and take it really easy.

Is anyone starting to eat more carbs yet0 I dont eat any for lunch or dinner so Im starting to have more this week so my body doesnt freak out!

its NEXT WEEK now!!!
    xx
  • Options
    hi all, havent posted for a few day. havent been out for a run since last tusday. Have had blessed kidney infection and been on antibiotics. Probably did me good not to run though as I have been feel shattered.
    sunshine nik, saying "NEXT WEEK" sounds real scarey, well done on the 20 miler. make sure you taper now though.
    I plan to go out for gentle 3-5 miles tonight and will do that 3 times this week and a couple times next week before the big day.
  • Options
    Time to bring this thread back to life!

Did 8 miles on Sunday at a slow pace with a mate who doesn't run much. Planning to do 4 slow miles tomorrow, then 3 on Weds and 2 on Thursday at marathon pace.

Going to Expo on Thursday evenng after work to get my number. I've already bought my gels, food and nurofen for the day, and I've already starting filling myself with pasta and water.
  • Options
    Hi Jonny
    What sort of volume of carbs are you eating? Do you eat them breakfast, lunch and dinner or just one?

Nik
  • Options
    Building up to this marathon I know I've never taken so much Nurofen, but it's also all you ever hear about on these boards: the company must be making a mint!! Talk about carbo loading, more like Nurofen loading!! So what volume Nurofen are you all taking and do you take them with some other painkiller as well?

• Options
    Martin JMartin J ✭✭✭
    I've only just seen this thread. Have been switching between the sub 4 and sub 4.30 threads. I would love to break 4 hours but tend to slow considerably at around 17/18 miles so sub 4.15 is more realistic. I am tempted to try and follow the sub 4 hour pacer from the start but think if I do I will probably burn my self out too quickly so will probably set my watch to 9.5 minute miles and hope for the best.
    Nurofen (2 just before the start and 2 in my bag)are very good friends of mine too!
  • Options
    Nik - at the moment I'm just having pasta for lunch and my normal breakfast & dinner. I'm eating a load of fresh fruit and drinking water instead of coffee as well. On Friday & Saturday I will propbably have pasta for dinner as well - but I'm trying not to get too obsessed about my eating.

Slowlegs - I've been taking 2 x ibuprofen just before longer runs to help alleviate a minor ankle niggle, and also in the mornings if I feel sore. With the limited amount of runnign between now and Sunday, I don't expect to take any more before race day. I will however take a dose an hour before the start, and carry an extra couple to take if required for around the 20 mile mark.

Martin - don't go off too fast trying to chase sub-4 hrs. I'm planning to run 9-20 to 9-30 pace the whole way. If at around 20 miles I find that sub-4 is realistic then I'll try and increase the pace (as I'll only have to make up about 3 minutes). I ran a 21 mile race last month where I did 9-30 the whole way round but managed just over 8 mins for the final mile.
  • Options
    Jonny - sorry to be a pain but do you have bread or cereal for breakfast? And then at dinner are you eating pasta or rice or potatoes?

I just want to understand the normal volume of carbs you eat!

Also, is pasta the best carb I can have?

Thanks

• Options
    Jonny: thanks for that, I hadn't really thought of taking them during the race but it seems lots of people do! Only thing is I thought you should take them with food, I wonder whether a handful of Skittles would justify the title 'food'!
  • Options
    Nik - Usually cereal, coffee & fruit juice and possibly bread as well. Sometimes I skip the cereal and just have the bread. On race days I normally have porridge. Dinner is usally meat, veg and rice or potatoes. I'm just doing pasta at lunchtime at the moment, but on Friday & Saturday I will have spaghetti / chilli or some sort of pasta dish in the evening as well. I've cut out all the naughty food this week and I'm filling up on fresh fruit. I'm also trying to sip water all day to keep hydration levels up.

Slowlegs - I've taken ibuprofen half way through long runs with just a bit of water and / or gels. Don't get the max-strength ones though - it's better if you get something where you take 2 tablets every 4 hours. That way you can take small amounts as the need arises, without upsetting your stomach.
  • Options
    Hi All, havent posted for a week or so. Kike everyone else, I am just being sensible about what I eat this week. I have cut back on tea, and not having any alcohol this week either ;0(. I dont ejoy breakfast of any kind-never have, but am trying to have banana and yoghurt mid morning. Know that I'll need to make myself eat something on Sunday morning. Probably bowl of porridge.
    I cant believe who nervous I feel. I ran in 2002 and 2003 and cant remember feeling this sick with nerves. I think about it 24/7. I just done want to be at work at all this week!!
  • Options
    Hello All!

Was just wondering are you lot just going it alone or is there some unofficial 4.15 group meeting up.

I'm not sure what to do whether to just hack round or join up with the 4.30 pacer. Am usually doing a bit faster than that but so much that I feel I'll fit in the 4.00 group.
  • Options
    Hi SN,
    I have decided to pace myself rather than trying to go with the 4.30 or 4.00 pacer. I need to be able to step up and down "as pain allows" . A lot depends on the weather for me too. I am hopeless when the weather is too warm, any way good luck for sunday
  • Options
    Thanks Billie

I was thinking I'd do the same but am worried about losing it in the last few miles and thought I'd need to latch onto someone to keep me going.

I will find a suitably paced victim and follow them!!

Good luck too! I'm really scared today!
  • Options
    Im going to give the RW 9 min mile pacer group a go and - like you guys- see how I get on then drop back and latch on to someone else if I find it too fast!
    Im number 8051 with an orange MS Society vest so if you see me give me as shout!

Good luck everyone- my stomach is doing flips when i think about it!
    xx
  • Options
    Martin JMartin J ✭✭✭
    Mad Johnny - I agree. have decided to set my watch for 9.30 min miles and see hopw it goes. Went out for a 4 mile run last night (the last one) and felt quite easy at that pace.

Good luck everyone
  • Options
    Welcome back!

4-26 for me, but delighted for a first marathon. First 10k took an hour but by mile 9 I was suffering with the heat and decided to ease off the gas. I'm glad I did, because I managed a consistent pace from then on in (no walking!). I went through half way in 2-08 and at that time I thought 4-40 was realistic. Miles 19-22 were a killer, but I livened up towards the end and was pleased with my time. Overall it was an amazing experience.

I hope everyone else had a good run, and I would like to thank eeryone for their advice and support on this thread over the last few weeks. It certainly helped me prepare properly for the day and made my run more enjoyable.

I will do another marathon - but not necessarily FLM again (although I will apply). In the meantime I'll try and keep the weight down and fitness up, to give myself a head start in training.
  • Options
    Martin JMartin J ✭✭✭
    4:21 for me.
    Felt really good for first 16 or so miles (half marathon in 2:04)and then started to slow. 19 - 24 were really hard.
    good day if a bit on the warm side early on.
  • Options
    4.18 for me
    was 3.00 at 30ks, and feeling great - so was on for 4.15, with a thought that I could speed up for the final 12ks (can't believe in retrospect that I thought that!). was starting to really feel it getting into canary wharf but the crowds were brilliant and got me through
    then had a disaster at 20miles, and went to pieces. Had a little walk, but realised I had to start running again, so picked it up to a jog for the last 6 painful miles. Ended up with awful cramp in my hips, and right knee started to give way (can't really bend it this morning), but hung in there right until Buckingham palace, when I managed a final dash to the line.
    As a testament to how tired I was I didn't even look at the clock so had no idea what my time was until this morning!

All in all though a brilliant day - absolutely loved it. thanks to everyone on this thread - has been fantastic to talk to you all, and has made all the difference over the months of training! Am almost contemplating doing it all again...
  • Options
    Hi All,
    well done on the times you all acheived, what a hot day.
    I was thrilled with my 4.19 (PB by 36 minutes!!) (was 55 at 10k and 1.58 at half thought sub 4.15 may be a possibility- was to afraid to push to hard because of the heat and the sight of poor runners lying on the road side who had obviously suffered.
    Know I have it in me to knock another 4 mins off. heres to next year!!