Options

Northern Ireland Running

Comments

• Options
    Afternoon all,

Reckon everyone is standing down at the Ozone waiting for their packs which is why no-one is on the boards!! I went at lunchtime and the place was jammers so had to leave it and come back to work. Will pop in later or tomorrow when i'm not in any rush.

Thanks Kenny, i'll keep an eye out i'm 2068 or 2069. Which leg are you running? I'll be doing the Antrim Rd one.

Glad to hear Derry is moving to be honest. I ran the relay (hasn't quite caught on there yet) a few years ago and the run was bleak. cracking day but running out to a roundabout on a main road with nothing to see but factories wasn't the nicest route ever. Although, suppose we wouldn't really want it to be a city centre run either as it would be hills everywhere ... never happy am i!
  • Options
    eilers12 Iam doing the full thing will keep an eye out for you on the Antrim Road. Going up tomorrow to collect my pack.
  • Options
    Good luck Kenny, i'll give you a big cheer when you pass me
  • Options
    Hi Kenny - Are you ready for Monday. I'm typing as I watch the weather forecast - it gives rain for Monday.

Last year was slightly too warm in around the 20 mile mark.

Have a good run Kenny.
  • Options
    Will keep an eye out for you guys. I was lucky enough to draw the 1st leg on Monday for the relay team I'm running in from the BBC. No Chris Capper though. Think he's doing the whole thing. Too long for me this year as I haven't put the miles in. Angie confirms rain for Monday but not sure when. The quick boys like Baldy might well miss it. Have a good run on Monday everyone - whether it's the 3.3 miler or the whole thing.
  • Options
    Hi all picked my pack up yesterday evening.Ran a easy 2 miles today.Have been looking at the map of course trying to think were the hills are.Kenny,Seamus,Baldy and anyone else running have a good run and enjoy the day.
  • Options
    The same to you Jim and all the rest, Baldy, Kenny and everyone.

Take plenty of water to morrow.
  • Options
    Just in from a 2 mile run done a few stretches. Feeling good looking forward to tomorrow. Going to relax the rest of the day. Good luck to all running tomorrow.
  • Options
    Good luck everyone for tomorrow!
  • Options
    All the best to all those running tomorrow. Don't forget to enjoy the experience!
  • Options
    Short and slow 2 mile run today. Looking forward to tomorrow now. Went round my leg in car today, oldpark rd is quite a climb but antrim rd is actually quite flat and lots of big downhills so shouldn't be too bad. Enjoy your day everyone and good luck!!!
  • Options
    As a native of NI (although I live in London nowadays!) I just wanted to say good luck to everyone for tomorrow :)
  • Options
    hi all

failed again.

2nd mara in 8 days and it told on me. legs felt heavy from 4M but managd run through it. At half way they were like lead again after the springfield and oldpark roads then yet more uphill along the Antrim rd, but a steep 2M down hill and flat 16th helped, thanks to gravity. from then on in it was sheer determination. A sprint finish (probably more of a power walk! to beat another fool who also did FLM last week (cheers Dessie i didnt need that)!! left me with absolutley nothing left except aching limbs. This was a great new belfast course, hard first half with lots of climbing and the wind in your face throughout then a more gentle run after the turn for home. Some may not agree but this course has great potential.

happy with 3.02.38 (30 secs slower than last week) and 62nd place.

what about the rest of you???
  • Options
    Well done Baldy.. wouldn't say two marathons in 8 days and both close to 3 hrs was a failure!!!

My mum and dad went out to cheer everyone on... it was the first time they have ever done that and they really had a great time. They are coming over to Brussels to watch me doing the 20K at the end of the month and today has really whetted their appetite.

The OH and I went for a run this morning... drizzly and a little cool... we did 10KM... 2KM more than the OH's furthest... so she was over the moon.
  • Options
    Baldy, absolutely cracking time. My gripe about the new course is for the 4 hour marathoners. You're OK up at the front but mixing with the walkers is a disaster. Didn't get jogging until through the bottleneck of the courts and didn't get into an unbroken stride until the Holywood Arches as there was quite a bit of weaving round people to do. On a positive note, the roads were closed to the first changeover point on the Holywood Road. Please can we have a staggered start. Wheelchair athletes, the 26.2 runners, the relay and then walkers. Also please can the relay runners not block the road for the full distance people. The scenes at Ormeau Park were crazy. The last thing you need at the finish is to weave round prams, gogs and children. Even the Brazilian at the Olympics only had one crazy person to deal with!
  • Options
    Baldy - Congratulations on another brilliant run. 2 mins is not much, but is quite a bit when you are chasing to close it down. Baldy - I was losing 2 mins in every mile for the last 5 miles. At 21.3 miles I had 45.5 mins to do 4.9 miles. It took me 55 mins to do it. However if I really pushed myself I could probably do it - but I usually say to myself - I'll do it another day and I think I will.

Kenny, Jim and everyone else. How was your run?
  • Options
    Hi everyone PB 4:11 yesterday beat my London time in 2002 by about 1 minute. The race was much better organised than last year, more water, better change over and more people out watching. Antrim Road was tough but the down hill was tougher and plenty of people in the park over the last mile. Maybe they could put up tape or barriers to keep people off the course. The walkers again seem to have got to the fornt at the start could get going as we hit bank upon bank of runners stretched right across the Road. Roll on next year
  • Options
    Well done Kenny. Say you running to the finish line and give you a shout, you looked strong at the finish. I done the Antrim Road leg of 6.5 and ran it in 55 mins so happy enough although could be improved on. Well done Baldy.
  • Options
    Thanks LL didn't hear too much comming to the end. Realised going into the park if I had a good last mile would get me a PB. Didn't think it was that far to finish. Well done the Antrim Road leg was tough I though we were never going to turn.
  • Options
    Well done everybody who ran yesterday espcially

Baldy you are a nutter but obviously a fast one.

I did the Antrim road leg very enjoyable has got me in the mood thinking about Dublin. The start was chaos though, with so many walkers/racers they all need to set off at different times to prevent bottlenecks.

Also the end in Ormeau Park was great but too many people walkingout in front of runners. Needs to be more spectator control/awareness for the runners.
  • Options
    Hey all and well done everyone. I was another Antrim rd runner and it was not easy. I was hoping to do it in under an hour but with each mile marker i slipped further and further away from it. Came in at 67 mins so not too bad. Hills combined with that head wind were tough going. But hasn't put me off one bit, even contemplated running on doing the next leg ... decided against it.

Kenny, i saw you pass at the relay changeover on hillview but you were past me by the time i realised. You were running well.

Same complaints as everyone else though, the changeovers were much better this year and at least each set of numbers were properly segregated. Excellent at gideon's green where they had 2 routes for relay and marathon runners. But why can't they do this everywhere? Cordon off one side of the road and let the marathon runners go one side and relay the other. Can't see it being that hard to do.

Ormeau Park was terrible for anyone running later on, people walking with prams etc on the running path and very few were clapping the later runners. People were actually thanking me for clapping them into the last bit!! They need to put up fencing right round the route though to stop people from walking on the path, or at least marshall it better.

• Options
    Well done everyone.Ran a disapointing 4hr 19mins.Legs felt heavy from the start and by the time i got to the antrim road i felt like stoping.The downhill section just came at the right time.Strugled along the tow path.Was pleased that i hung in there was able to keep going to the finish.

The last mile and finish idea in ormeau park did not work for me there was people everywhere last thing you want at that stage is to be moving to avoid people and prams.It's a city marathon let it finish as close to city center as posible.Also why was there no sport drinks on route or at finish.
  • Options

Congrats to all

Has anyone else got sunburn?

Made it round in just over four hours - but was so tired didn't check time properly - has anyone figured out a quick way of matching the time to the name on the marathon website's strange results layout?

Ormeau Park mixing of runners and spectators not brilliant; and would have appreciated a separate portaloo for marathon runners, rather than having to join long q of relay runners and their supporters, at Gideons Green - but, that said, course was much more fun than last year, good support towards the end and really enjoyed the whole city centre falls shankill antrim road leg......
  • Options
    Well done Chris & Jim. I had a look at the results a bit of a mess. Looks like you have to print them all out and hope to match thme up. Hopefully they will get them sorted soon.
  • Options
    Hi Chris I have selected the results and pasted them into excel. Then I have taken the imes and pasted them into the next column. These are the time you crossed the line they are not the chip times.
  • Options

Thanks Kenny - got that to work. But I see they've fixed the website results in the meantime.....
  • Options
    Well done chris. Knew u cld do it. Great time especially when ur training wasnt going too well.
    Well done Eilers12 & TT. The Antrim Road was quite tough but I was lucky enough to be able to tag along with a group of guys from Ballynahinch that made the up hill windy journey really enjoyable.
    Well done SEamus. That time is great, what is ur pb?
  • Options
    Managed to get out for a 7.5KM this morning... managed a good time for me of 38:45... but felt very, very sluggish.

Is everyone resting up after the marathon?
  • Options
    Taking it easy this week Chris will see how I feel maaybe try a short run on Sunday. You get days like that Sean but it helps when you look at the watch and find you havn't been going as slow as you thought. When was your last rest day could be with the increase in milage you need a rest or an easy week.
    What about the weather we were lucky on Monday strong wind and heavy showers and no heat since Monday.
  • Options
    Kenny, it's a beautiful morning here in Brussels... 19C at 8 this morning :) I'm not travelling this week and next.

Think I may have felt sluggish because I don't normally run in the mornings... had a rest day yesterday so should have been refreshed.

What about you? Are you doing any runs this week or taking a rest week.