Options

Northern Ireland Running

Comments

• Options
    nice to see a bit more life about the place today, and some running to boot!!

managed hill work today, dint fancy reps will hopefully save them for thurs now.

Seamus i see nothing wrong with your top speed, keep enjoying your running theres no better advice for us mere mortals. we just have to set relative goals for ourselves.
  • Options
    Baldy,
    I was told by a friend to do one or two runs per week close to my threshold... was told that this would help me increase my stamina and endurance... my longest run is 15KM and my half marathon is in May. He said that increasing my long run together with some speedy runs would be most beneficial.

Is this true? Or should I just continue my plodding and increase my distance
  • Options
    Oh... by the way... hope you managed to get outside for a good run last night Ladyluck.
  • Options
    Five miles last night good bright night but very windy. Seamus you'll go faster in a 5 mile race especially if you have me brething down your neck. Its difficult to push yourself hard in training especially when you are running on your own. I find that if I have someone slightly faster than me they pull me on at a faster pace and I try to hang in there. When I try it on my own when the going gets tough I ease of off a little. Keep chipping away.
    Well done Sean a few days at home seem to be doing you some good.
    Think I prefer the reps to the hills Baldy.
  • Options
    Yeah Ken,
    training suffered last month but managed to get back on track. I'm really looking forward to my first event in a few weeks... it's giving me the focus to keep going.
  • Options
    Got my run outside last night and it was great. Just me and my music. Felt quite strong during a 4 mile run. Did not time it but will start timing my runs from now on. Just hope this is me back on track. Would be so nice to get a good run at it without my system breaking down or injury. Can anyone recommend anything to keep immune system up?
  • Options
    Sean I do a long run plus a hill or speed session along with a couple of other runs each week. The long run depends what I am aimimg for at the time. Seems to work for me.
    LL glad to hear that you got out for a run last night much better than the treadmill. Hopefully this will be you on the mend. For the immune system Echinacea capsules from Holland & Barrett is susposed to be good but I have never tried them.
  • Options
    Thanks Ken... that's much the same plan I'm working on... 2 speed sessions, 1 or 2 easy runs and 1 long run. May switch one of the speed runs to a hill run. The problem I have is rest.... My recovery seems to have improved big time... even just a month ago my legs felt a little stiff the day after any run.... whereas now I'm feeling fine for another run... have to force myself to have rest days.
  • Options
    Thanks Kenny, just bought Echinacea drops from local chemist, hopefully will help build up my immune system.
    Good for you sean. You seem to juggle your very busy life quite successfully, how do you do it? Going to do some weights tonight which I dont want to forget about now that I am back into running which is really easy to do when the addiction kicks in.
  • Options
    LL, I have very busy periods where I am travelling but try to make sure I am home every Friday through Sunday and when I am home I try to be more flexible for the wife and kids... like this morning I went into work late so that the other half could get out for a run early. I managed to arrange all my meetings for in work today so can work from home tomorrow... great for being able to take short breaks with the kids drawing or whatever and having lunch with them... also saves on commute time! Guess the secret is being able to plan well and trying best not to drop too many balls whilst juggling.
  • Options
    I managed a 4-5 mile run this morning around Scrabo (N'Ards) which was quite demanding but thoroughly enjoyable. Started cycling every other morning as well and my legs took a while to get going this morning.

LL, my wife has just started taking Echinacea - she is a keen horse rider but has been under the weather for a while - hopefully they should help.

Is anyone running a 5 mile race in Whitehead on Easter Monday?
  • Options
    Where does one start,

Echinacea, have a wife on it and since she started it i have been checking the windy runs thread it may be a subject they are interested in, watch out LL!!

Sean, to improve you have to vary your running but maintane comon threads. The long run is the backbone, try to get 12/13 each week. A med long run mid week of 7/8 gently and a hard session which should push you, vary between reps and hills and a threshold run. for threshold pick a time you want to work hard for and develop it as you go. teh best proven hill work is conintinued running at steady pace up and down, no sprinting. for reps start with 4x800 or 6x400 with recovery jogs of half the time of your hard work. increadse the reps but keep the times steady. work as hard as you can constantly. if you have time other runs should be relaxed. try to think of your week and plan it. every session compliments anouther and dont forget to rest every cycle.

mudshark its not easy around scrabo, a few hills to be encountered, there is a nice race there every year. if you fancy running partners and a bit of a change join me on a mon night, 7pm from the bangor track. we have all ages & all abilities usually about 25-30 of us and plenty to talk about.

Kenny, have number through for belfast 940, this on line entry is easy.

was out tonight for gentle 7 and felt carp, really sluggish. hate this last 2 weeks before a mara. Reps tomorrow so better buck my ideas up or things could get messy, its embarrassing when i cry!!!!
  • Options
    hello all, i've only really starting back into the running (very on-off for past few years) and the goal is the Lisburn Half in ten weeks. Never really run beyond 10km but attempted the Laganside 10km last week and finished in a reasonable time (for me) of 62 mins. Glad to see there are so many other NI runners on here. Doing the belfast relay as well (got the long route down the antrim rd). Probably have seen a few of you about around Ormeau direction as i can usually be found plodding round the embankments after work most evenings.

I see talk about the Whitehead race on Monday, is it a competitive club one or would 10 minute milers like myself be amongst the field or left for dust at the back?
  • Options
    Hi eilers. If you managed to do a 10K last week in 62 mins I'm sure the Lisburn half in 10 weeks should be well in your capability.

I managed to stretch my long run out to 17.5KM today... not a bad time for me also... 1:36:45... puts me well on track for my target sub 2hr half in 6 weeks :)
  • Options
    Thanks Sean.

What sort of time would you reckon then for a half based on my 10 min mile pace for a 10km. Would i still be aiming for 10min mile or should i expect to take it down a notch?

Got first long one of 7mile on Saturday, looking forward to it ... i think!
  • Options
    eilers... I'm an absolute beginner... only started running at the start of the year... I'm finding my times are improving as my distances increase but I'm sure some of the other folks here will have better experience to answer.
  • Options
    Enchinacea = windy wife, dont think hubby will be too impressed baldy. Done a 4 mile run in 36 mins which I am more than happy about although sitting her with a 'twinge' in my right ear and right hand side of my throat. Hopefully will be ok in the morning. Think I will take another dose of Enchinacea before bedtime just to be sure.

Hello Eilers12, also doing the route down the antrim road, really looking forward to it if the old immune system stops misbehaving.

Mudshark, cant wait to start cycling again. Me and my hubby love cycling but since baby was born 2 years ago havn't been able to squeeze anything else in but determined to start it up again. I found my fitness level was at its best when I merged running and cycling.

Sean you defo seem to have the knack of juggling. I would say you will smash you 2 hr target the way your training is going. You wouldn't think you were new to running with those times.
  • Options
    Well done LL on your run. Hope the Enchinacea is working. Only realised this morning that the two girls are on it... the doctor gave it to them a while back whenever they kept picking up virus after virus... seems to be working for them.
  • Options
    No running to report today... just the nice balance between effort and pleasure :) Had lunch in a nice Italian... pizza all round... few glasses of wine, a nice Grappa and very strong double Espresso to finish with. Clodagh and the kids were in great form... and great craic to send Sophie for the bill and hear her say "l'addition s'il vous plait"... not bad for a four year old :) Then for our two-year old to say "Merci beaucoup" on the way out :) Great craic :)
  • Options
    Evening all. What a lovely day for a run. Took myself for an easy 3 mile round the lagan toepath this afternoon, beautiful day, sun beaming down and plenty of other runners plodding round. 7 mile tomorrow though is gonna be a tough one as it will be my longest run to date.

Ladyluck. I suffer quite often from throat infections and went to Framar health (on ormeau rd or lisburn rd in Belfast) and they recommended an Enchinacea and green tea supplement specifically to help boost the immune system. Was rather expensive at £13 for 90 (i think) capsules but when i was taking it had not a sniffle or anything for ages. Of course then i forgot about it and stopped taking it for a bit and was promptly stuck down with another infection and cold. Apparantly it takes a few weeks to start working but it definitely seemed to do the trick.
  • Options
    Hello everybody - I did a slowish 15 miles today - it was great to be out - I think it was the first spring day.
  • Options
    Hi folks good to hear that you are all runnng away. Treated myself to a massage today to see if it would take the tiredness out of my legs. Resting tomorrow and then 16 miles on Sunday. Glad to see the weather pick up not sure how long it will last. Woke up this morning with a sore throat I am hoping it won't get any worse.
  • Options
    Hi everyone, went for a 15m cycle before work this morning, still sore from my run around Scarbo on Wed. Had a rest day yesterday, apart from swimming and a longish run planned for tomorrow so limiting my wine consumption tonight.

Thanks for the offer Baldy for Monday evenings - I might just have to take you up on it. At the moment I am doing all my training before work except on Saturdays. Lisburn is my next real event to aim for and thereafter the Dublin marathon.

Keen to do a few 10ks before Lisburn to improve my speed and still contemplating Whitehead on Monday.

Your training seems to be going well Kenny - hopefully no set backs at this stage.
  • Options
    Mudshark - What is the date for Lisburn 10K and 1/2 marathon? - I've never seen it advertised this year.
  • Options
    Lisburn is on 21 June - a Wednesday evening. It is supposed to be quite hilly but it is far enough away for plenty of preparation. Not sure of any other half marathons that take place though.
  • Options
    Hi everyone got my number through for Belfast this morning 1022. Throat feelng a lot better this morning after a couple of Strepsils yesterday.
    Seamus I got my Lisburn entry form through in the post yesyerday 21 June at 6.30.
    Keep up the training Mudshark I found that cycling helped me last summer when I cycled to and from work once a week. I had some of my best runs in a long time at the end of the summer. There are a few 10 milers after Lisburn not so many halfs marathons during the summer. There is one in Dervock on 22 July organised by the local community association. £3 entry hilly country roads but a good test.
  • Options
    Just back from a 12.5m run on the scenic carriageway. Tried keeping my heart rate down and feel really good after it - still some energy left so perhaps better pacing.

Just worked out where Dervock is Kenny. Always good to have some goals to aim for.
  • Options
    Mudshark Dervock is about 4 miles from Ballymoney. They put a lot of effort into the race last year and got their best field for years. No showers after the race unless you want to jump into the river along with the ducks for the duck race which happens after the half. Not as many runners as Lisburn.
  • Options
    Managed to get out for 6.5KM with the other half this morning. A hilly 16KM tomorrow... that'll bring me up to 48KM for the week. My first event Sunday week... Antwerp 10 Mile... really looking forward to it.

Keep running.