Options

Northern Ireland Running

Comments

• Options

Yes, Ferdy was brilliant today. So were you JR, I know you were saving yourself for tomorrow.

As it was officially my first cross country I had nothing to compare with, but I was just delighted that I wasn't the last to finish.  Mind you, the men having to do three laps as opposed to two for the ladies gave me an advantage.

I'm not sure if I will take to this cross country running  lark - will give it a bit more thought before it kicks off again later in the year.  Was good to meet up with some of the other forumites including JMcC amd Paul OH.

Looking forward to the run tomorrow - off to finish preparing the post run food.

Oh, how did Parkrun go anyone?

• Options

Welcome Alan B and Slowfoot.

Slowfoot - no shortage of bars in Belfast mate. Depends what you're after?

Well done to anyone who raced this weekend. Saw Park Run had another huge turnout. Hope it doesn't get affected too much when all the saturday races start in March. Shouldn't do. Most of the runners seem to be recreational, which is great.

Good to see PTB returning to good shape quickly and BBT turning out for a rare race. Come through it unscathed?

I see the Larne Half is filling up quickly. Where did February go to? Wash out for me. My "Armagh cold" hung around for 3 weeks. Hoping it's gone now. Stubborn fecker it was. Half the club's got it.

Reading "born to run" at the moment - 4 chapters in. V good book.The book is about these guys.

Also read in the Sunday Life about the "Belfast Super Club" - which, according to the article, will be established this April.

How did the Ron Hill night @ Up and Running go on Friday? Listened to an interview with him this morning. Seems a "black and white" (views) kind of chap. Not unlike our Billy Bragg.

ps - also love the Kinks ptb (I can thank my old man for that one).

Laters

c75

• Options

C75 - Good to see you back.  I had meant to ask on my last post how you were.  I thought your manflu was lasting a long time.. Just as well you gave the Armagh race a miss.

Ron Hill is an amazing guy and I found some of his anecdotes very interesting (just some though).  He's definitely 'old school' and would hold some of the same views of an older running friend of mine i.e.- just go out there and run, forget about gels etc.

I'm not long back from a run along the Causeway coast with some of those hardened Ballymena boys (and Joe Rocket, Ferdy and Doc 3 from Springwell).  Think I need to get out with them more to toughen up a bit.   All in all, a great weekend's running for me.image

• Options

Just over 13 for me this morning. After the good weather earlier in the week we had a couple of hail storms during the run.

Well done to all who raced at the weekend and ran the Causeway today. Good to hear from you again C75. Anyone heard from Alan R and Rower it's a while since they were on.

Sorry I can't help you about bars in Belfast Slowfoot. Good luck with both marathons a couple of the guys from the club are doing both.

• Options
    hey all, havnt been on in a while, just been quietly going about training for belfast in may again, was going well until i had 13 last saturday which went well but ever since have had a pain from my right outer hip and the same outer knee, was wondering if anyone knew what it could be?

good to hear of so many people out training, the better weather is certainly helping, many on here thinking of larne? i entered a few weeks ago and it seems popular again this year
  • Options

Yes C75-managed to get myself and two clubmates along to Parkrun.Early start for me!Yes very low key but good workout and testing route.First race since early September-hope to turn out at Albertville 5 next Saturday.

Think Ron Hill and myself have similar view on gels,bottled water etc-running is a simple sport-the more you put in(effort)the more rewardimage

Glad the ramble on the North Coast went well-will join in some day when i buy trail shoes and Camel!!managed easy 7 miles this morning-bit stiff butnot too bad for a tumbleweed(yes ran my first marathon in Belfast 1982) -enjoyed the photo collection thanks.

Have a good week-Spring is just around the corner.image

• Options
    Kenny - I saw Alan R in action last week at the Odyssey but didn't get speaking to him.  I met up with Rower at the AGM on Thursday evening and mentioned that we hadn't heard much from him recently.  He has been very busy with work, but still alive and kicking.
  • Options

Well done at parkrun yesterday BBT. Good to see you taking part in a race again. Hope to be at Albertville next weekend too but right leg still sore so will rest until Wednesday and see how it is by then. Trying to weigh up the best  thing to do and think rest is more realistic than doing any more damage. The left leg felt the same as the right before massage but not just as painful so hoping it is just taking longer to respond as it was a little worse.

Good to hear you are just over your cold C75 and hopefully you can get stuck into training again.

Jason, sounds like IT band but maybe some others can give advice.

Mags, glad you got round the run with HMM, and crew.

TG, how are you at the moment ? Is the back problem improving ?

Good runs for JMcC and Leek at Stormont yesterday and also JR and Ferdy. Also good to have a Ballymena Runner win the male race.

• Options

Great day today for the brave North Coast Bun Worrier Extrordinaires!! Conditions were windy and always threatening, but only followed through with a hail shower at the Causeway vistors centre. Everyone faired up really well- one or two slips and trips, but everyone walked away I think!

Great to meet some more of the Ballymena lads- great craic was had by all I hope. Really enjoyed the mix of sections- grass, mud, beach, rockclimbing. I decided to run a bit of a farlek, and probably confused everyone by runnig at seemingly random speeds great chance to talk to everyone though!

Proceeding finished with an icy dip for some in Ballintoy Harbour- ouch! Followed by a great spread of soup, coffee, buns, cakes, brownies, sarnies and not to mention the luxury items that Mags & Sharon were producing, unfortunately just as I was leaving!

Big thanks to HMM & the lads for organising- great to see a wee social event like that come off so easily! Lets do it again! image

• Options

Yeah-as Joe Rocket said ,great wee day out,nearly good weatherimage,but there's no point coming to the coast unless you get 4 seasons weather in about 10mins.

Good to meet all the guys and girls and a big thanks again to HMM and the gang for organising,defo be up to do something lie that again. Survived my 1st long run since the end of October,so happy days.

• Options

Soundes like  tike the causeway run went ok today. Same 4 seasons in Armgh this morning.

Rodney- hope the injuries clear up soon.

Mags. - well done yesterday.  Keep at the XC. great to get of the tarmac.

C75 -  have read born to run , fantastic book, you should also read "miles to run"  by ian o'riordan, an irish focused book, really good read.

well done  ballymena runners man jonny winning the main race.

One of our girls won the femal race.  strange shouting at her to push on at the finsh eile I had another 1.66  mile to run.

• Options

Unfortunately I am likely to miss the Larne half (entered and all!!)  image, as I have been out of action with a MCL knee sprain. No running at all for the last 3 weeks.............

Quick question - Looking ahead to a relacement half, any thoughts on Lisburn half vs Ards Half?, I think they are around the same date (mid/end June).

Need something to look forward to/ aim for. Ta
  • Options

Congrats to jonny steede from ballymena at stormont

BBT well done at park run and also to kevin and noel

bracken I have only done lisburn which is a good course/ event but I find it tough to get to for a wed evening if dont live in and around belfast

Caseway trail was a big success managed 23  miles in changing weather( wind, hail sun,mud,sand).was knackered after it though.

5of us did 23 and good crowd did 13 miles godd to meet doc,ferdy,joe, magsnd sharon. The feed after was impressive, although we will have to up our game to compete with mags and sharon for style.HMM has video footage which have not seen yet but he if away this week. Its a great route and I am looking forward to racing it in september

• Options

Bracken - I have only run Ards, so can't compare for you. Friday night (I assume it still is?) which is unusual, seemed well organised. Its not too bad a course, a couple of undulations as you skirt around Scrabo on the way out and back. Slightly slower than Larne I'd think (but I've heard that Lisburn's not flat either).

Well run folks yesterday on the Causeway trail. I was in Woodburn forest when the hail came down, it was bad enough there. It would have stung on the coast, I guess.

• Options

I'm staying at the official race hotel, so I'm after somewhere I can grab a beer and a meal so any reasonable priced place would be.

• Options

Sounds like some good running around the coast from doc3, HMM, Mags, Robin and others. I'm sure the views up there are stunning.

Great weather this week. Makes such a change. 

Kenny - glad to hear you're training away mate.

Slowfoot - there's no shortage of bars in Belfast City Centre. And there'll be no shortage of people in them either. Always busy on marathon night/May Day. If you're staying in the Cathedral Quarter, they are all on your doorstep.

JMcC - thanks for the O'Riordan recommendation. Is he the fella who writes the athletics column in the Irish Independent? Loving Born to Run. Can't put it down.

Jason - has it improved since you posted? Do you stretch at all before or after a run?

BBT/Rod - thanks for the best wishes. Over the bug now. But I lost two solid weeks of training. No odds. I'll get them back. We'll see how this week's training goes. Rod - hope the rest does you good.

BBT - will you buying any Olympic tickets on 15 March? Seriously tempted to buy some for the track events - especially mens 10000m.

Jim - great result at the weekend. image

PTB - are you doing Larne this year or did you get lumbered with marshalling duty again?

Bracken - I haven't done Ards but if you're looking a time, I'd opt for Lisburn.

• Options

Rodney two tips for a calf injury which should help-

1. buy a 50 litre bin an appropriate shape for you to stand in. Fill this with cold water and ice a couple of times a day and stand one leg at a time for about 2 minutes.

2. Heel drops - do single leg heel drops of a stair a few times a day. When you do them do them for 1 minute plus at a time. (This is called eccentric stretching - it effectively lengthens the muscle which is perfect for an injury as injuries are usually from shortened muscles...)

Back has turned "chronic"image  I'm getting plenty of treatment etc and it's progressing though so day to day pain is gone(unless I stand up too quickly). Hope to start some gentle exercise this week.

Sound like good running from everyone. Not long till road race / marathon fever is upon us.

Ards has scrabo hill in it so not a PB course I'd have thought though I've never done it.

• Options

Bracken - Ards and Lisburn pretty similar. Ards u climb part of hill up to Scrabo out and back but the rest of the course relatively flat through Comber.

Lisburn undulating country side out past Sprucefield and through Ravarnet......both courses PB possible if in the right shape on the night! But isn't that case for any course.

Generally Lisburn much bigger crowds as a 10k on the same night but both well organised.

• Options

C75 - I reckon my shortened campaign will benefit more from the decent week's training(*), than from a raced HM, so I'm choosing to marshall at Larne....

(*) in the past, I've found a HM has cost me a week in recovery. Not that I can't or don't run, but the quality isn't there and I'm treading a fine line between keeping running and tipping over in to niggles (or actually more likely, some sort of illness - has happened 2-3 times before).

• Options
    sad to hear bracken about missing a race due to injury...its definitely annoying when that happens, i was at the lisburn half last year and it seems to be a good setup, id recommend that for an aim

thanks for the advice c75 and rodney, i took 4 days off and it has calmed a little, i usually know where i am with calf injuries being my main ailment usually but to have hip and knee pain is new to me, c75 i do stretch generally after a run but not before as i have heard stretching when cold can do damage, im not sure though, im nearing 40mpw which is high for me, so maybe its the increase in mileage contributing
  • Options
    C75 - yes thats him. His father Tom also wrote for Irish Independent for a long time and was also an athlete of some note.
  • Options
    tommygunn wrote (see)

Rodney two tips for a calf injury which should help-

2. Heel drops - do single leg heel drops of a stair a few times a day. When you do them do them for 1 minute plus at a time. (This is called eccentric stretching - it effectively lengthens the muscle which is perfect for an injury as injuries are usually from shortened muscles...)

I do that exercise daily, I believe that it was instrumental in helping me overcome the plague of "shin-splints" ....
  • Options
    TG, AlanB, thanks for that advice. Had been doing those stretches before massage but not as much since I had the massage. Better get back into the routine again.  Right calf still letting me know its not healed yet but mioght try a few miles tonight to see.
  • Options

Rodney-can u get a physio apointment soon? Ultrasound will help.

C75-yes-looking at applying for 3-4 days at Olympics.Sat evening 4th Aug-Mens 10000m but also end of Heptathlon(Jessica Ennis)might be hard to come by! Sun 5th Womens Marathon(11am)Mon 6th Morning and Evening.Tues evening 1500 Final.

Anyone racing Albertville 5 on Saturday?Hope the nice weather keeps up.

• Options

Rodney you either need to see a physio or go for another massage. This seem to be dragging on too long.

2 x 1mile reps last night with 3 min jog recovery. It's been years since I did mile reps. Pleased with the pace as only 3 sec difference in each one. Next time it will be 3 reps. Anothe lovely evening looks good right through to the weekend.

• Options

Extreme26 Night time Winter Race Series - extra race/final in series.

Castlewellan tomorrow evening at 7:30 - weather looks good.  

• Options

Got 8.35 miles done last night at 6:50 pace. The calf was slightly sore but not as bad as before. Also managed 6.2 miles recover run  this morning and leg still a little sore but not as bad. There is bruising on the calf so if it is still sore after the weekend I will get a physio appointment sorted. Not going to race this weekend as I need to do a long run if possible.

Good running from you Kenny. I got out on Saturday and last night with shorts for the first time in a while. It was good to get a run done after work where it was just starting to get dark when I finished and then a nice crispy, frosty air and clear skies this morning too. Needed the tights this morning though.

• Options

Just over 5 miles last night amother great night for running.

Good luck to all racing this week end.