Options

ING New York City Marathon 2005

Comments

• Options
    If I look at those large crowds of people, I think it'll be very difficult to hit your stride (too much distraction). Bridge at start looks amazing though.
  • Options
    All gone quiet... How's everyones training going anyway??

Not a good week for me this week, did 14.5 on monday and very little since.
  • Options
    AA, am not up to that distance yet. Just doing several 6-7 milers each week, have a 10k in 2 weeks time and will then build up the mileage. What would your normal weekly mileage be?
  • Options
    AA - I am not too worried about the miles yet. My aim is mainly to work on my basic speed and improve 3k/5k/10k times over the next two months. Comes August I will re-focus and do less shorter races doing more paced longer runs.
  • Options
    In a sort of holding pattern really AA. I did the Copenhagen marathon 10 days ago and am just getting back up to about 25 miles this week and taking it easy. Plan is to ramp up over the next month towards the New Forest marathon in Sept and then a quick 7 week recover/train/taper before New York.

Jape - Your weekly distance will obviously depend upon your goal time, time available etc but when in dedicated training mine would typically be about 50-55 miles - that gets me round in about 3:25.
  • Options
    I've also done a couple of marathons this year already, rotterdam (10/04) and prague (22/05), found the gap between odd as couldn't do reallly long runs and couldn't taper, settled for running two half marathons and a couple of 10km's.
    Similar to you paul i may train for a september marathon, robin hood, then carry that through to new york, using robin hood as a long training run...........
  • Options
    Paul, I'm aiming to finish below 5 hours and will up the mileage to around 30 miles a week as I don't think I have time to do more. If I can do more, all the better. A half marathon in Dublin late September will be my main big event before NY.
  • Options
    i am tapering my mileage ready for the edinburgh marathon (week on sunday)...

then it is 3 weeks of recovery and building miles back up to resume full training 1st-week in July.

I am also lucky to have booked a months holiday in california in september, which will allow me to do a lot of long runs in decent weather (ie minus the wind & rain of a scottish summer)...

i ran nyc in 2003 (4:15:35), and i really want to get under 4-hours this time...

:-)
  • Options
    CaledonianCaledonian ✭✭✭
    I am doing very little at the moment. I also ran another marathon earlier this year (Santiago in April) and have done only really short runs of 3 or 4 miles since just to get the legs moving. Planning on starting proper training first week in july....although got a boozy weekend In Dublin later that week!!
  • Options
    Averaging 35 miles at the moment though must start tapering down before next Saturday's "Man verses Horse Marathon" (22 miles multi-terrain + Hilly)
  • Options
    That's 35 miles at WEEK in case you were worried!!!
  • Options
    Thanks for clearing that up Admiral W - you had us all worried there for a second.

Good luck next week.
  • Options
    URR, I ran London in April and just want to maintain my endurance for a few months with a long run every 2 weeks of around 15 miles.

Over the next few months I'm aiming to get some quality speeed and strength training in.

Paul, very similar to you - aiming to train for sub 3;30 with a maximum of 50-55 miles per week in peak training.

Never done an Autumn marathon, so it'll be a new training experience of summer running rather than snow and ice of Feb and March.

Looking forward to it.
  • Options
    Just thought I would join this thread as i will be running the NYC marathon this year (Hopefully!!).

Not started training yet, not booked a flight, no hotel...........errr I think I better get my lazy ass in gear!!

Is anyone heading out there on their own, or any people planning to meet up?

• Options
    Managed a run of 17 miles yesterday, and totalled about 60 last week. This is week two of serious training for Berlin, which is 6 week's ahead of NY. But training will be disrupted next week 'cos I'm out in Califronia for work and the small matter of a triathlon. Will try and fit in runs any time I can.
  • Options
    hi james,
    i booked the flight/entry package, not got a hotel yet would idealy like to share room/expenses with someone to avoid paying single person supplement.

tadbypist@tiscali.co.uk
  • Options
    Myself and Mrs A are heading out with Sports Tours for week or so. Whilst travel details are all sorted, we would be happy to meet up with others. I guess this is something that will either happen naturally or can be arranged nearer the time.

Way to go Toucan, get that training in early and you will never regret it. Good luck with the tri.
  • Options
    Evening all

Hoping to get a decent few runs in over the next couple of days.

Long runs in hot weather....any advise please??

• Options
    AA - Obviously no 1 priority is to stay hydrated and if running long (>17m) consider taking on carbos/energy gels. Even better avoid the hottest parts of the day and run early or late. I don't think it will be above 21/22 deg C though, so shouldn't be too bad. Take it easy and use it as useful acclimatization for the rest of yr summer training. Above all enjoy it........"no fun no run".
  • Options
    made my mind up to do blackpool marathon next sunday, that can be my first long run in training.............
  • Options
    BTW Paul Tergat has confirmed participation in the New York Marathon.

I will do St. Albans 1/2 as a training run MP + 10/15%
  • Options
    Paul Tergat...damn he beat me last time! Oh well there's nothing like a challenge!!
  • Options
    Thanks Paul. I'm really going to have to try these energy gels as I've only used lucozade sport before - diluted!

What energy products do they dish out in NY, cos if I haven't practised with it, I'll have to use the gels.
  • Options
    Hi AA, They use Gatorade - not easy to get hold of in the UK anymore.
  • Options
    aa - as mg2 says it is gatorade - i found the taste worse than lucozade sport...
  • Options
    Blimey, cheers guys...I'd better start getting used to the gels then!!
  • Options
    AA - I'd recommend Squeezygels. Although I do like the taste of Lucozade Sport (so what do I know!).
  • Options
    I am running NYC 2005 too... got in through a charity as I simply could not face all the insecurity of the ballot and some friends in the States told me it was very difficult to get in. So I am running for 'Get Kids Going'. Raising money is more difficult then running, even though I only started running in February and this will be my first marathon ever...

Paul a, I am aiming for 3.30, based on my training results so far, but will be very happy with under 4 hours! I am most intimidated by the thought of all those other people getting in the way :-).

Definitely up for meeting up somewhere down the line and maybe those aiming for 3.30 could run together? This may help with the pacing? Does anyone know if there will be pacers in NY, like I read there are in London?

Flying out Tuesday with BA to have time for friends and stuff, and back on Monday night also BA, assuming I cant walk on Monday LOL.

Admiral Warnchester
    Andy Sly
    BevR
    Glynis Hadley
    Hanneke
    Jape (b)
    LORRAINE CHAMBERS 2
    Mr Wolfy (b)
    Paul a
    Plum (b)
    Pseudo
    R C
    Sheffield Shuffler
    Slow Mac (b)
    Swoosh (b)
    Tonic Tone (b)
    Toucan (b)
    URR
    Welsh Alex (b)
  • Options
    Welcome to the team HVDW.

I'm looking to be (just) sub 3:25, runner density permitting. If your training goes well and you want to join forces let me know.

By Nov this forum should be large enough to have groups running at almost any desired pace.
  • Options
    3.30 ish I hope. Getting together sounds good