Options

ING New York City Marathon 2005

Comments

• Options
    oops, tow... can we correct our posts? I dont seem to see a way of doing so?
  • Options
    Toucan, Northern Ireland's pretty hilly too.
    ;-) How's everyone's training going? I think I'm finally getting into it, although the heat was tough, especially at the weekend.
  • Options
    Yep, heat was tough but.... I managed to run really fast for some reason... the reason being probably that in the morning the sun was behind a haze of humidity so not hotter then about 25 centigrade, which is ok.
  • Options
    Welsh hills I can accept - I'm part welsh myself and spent enough holidays there as a kid to know to respect those blighters. Sorry to say but I know nothing of the N.Irish hills.

A mild incline at the end of a 7 mile race did for me at the weekend as I completely blew up in 30+ deg heat. But shouldn't complain too much as managing ~50 mpw on top of cycling and swimming.

although Ted Corbitt's 300mpw puts it all in perspective..... Room for more hard work I suspect.
  • Options
    info for people still needing cheapo flights...

virgin atlantic have started a 21st birthday sale for 'flying club' members with the following offer - Economy sale on midweek flights in november to New York (JFK* and Newark) From £221.00 - do not worry if you are not a 'flying club' member, as you can join online and then access the sale fares virgin atlantic link

;-)
  • Options
    blackpool marathon: 3 hrs 4 mins, finished 10th, extreme heat a major factor, then followed up by jogging round the ranby 10km in 47 mins. 33 miles in day good start to training
  • Options
    Andy, how fast and far do you run when it is not hot?????? Thats impressive!
  • Options
    Found you at last, whey hey.
  • Options
    Hey Higo, are you on both threads now too???

I am sweating over my pic... how the hell do I get one with the right size that is good enough to actually see it?

12 k is awfully small, and then to fit 100 x 120 pixels... sigh!
  • Options
    Paul a and Hanneke sorry I didn't reply to your enquires about the Man verses Horse Marathon I been having a nightmare with my computer as late (I kept getting logged out). Well now the old lap top has been thrown in the bin and I have a shiney new one it should be all systems go on this thread!

For the record I didn't beat the horse!!

Hope everyones training is going well
  • Options
    Not many people manage to beat a horse cross country... or on the flat for that matter! So don't despair! You have all my admiration for even trying it!

Training progressing slowly due to heat slowing down the running...
  • Options
    Hanneke,
    You need to use some imaging software (microsoft photo editor will do) to resize a normal picture to 120(h) x 100 (w) pixels. Then save it as a GIF file. Then upload. that's about it.

14 miler tonight is going to be scuppered due to working late - a#se

• Options
    I did that Toucan but saved it as jpeg... will gif make the difference?

sorry you have to work late... maybe you can run extremely late, after work, could be good in this weather!
  • Options
    ok, it did make a difference! Now wait and see when it gets 'live'
  • Options
    Just got back from work. Was going to cycle back but then it got dark (didn't bother to take lights when I new it would be light 'til gone 10), so had to run the 4.5 miles home anyway.

I always get grumpy when work gets in the way of training - will make up for it with a double tomorrow.
  • Options
    That makes 2 Toucan! Thats why I tend to run before work in the morning and do my long one on my day off (Monday). Running first thing makes sure I actually do it uninhibited by work and other disruptive factors!
  • Options
    Don't really go for early morning running during the week because I'm always slowand legs are stiff (from running previous evening), and at the moment my hay fever is so bad when I wake up I'm lucky if I can breathe nevermind run. Besides it would clash with swimming. Despite this at the weekend I like to get the running over and done with early so I can go to the pub.

But needs must and all that so ran into work this morning and will follow up with a session with the club this evening.
  • Options
    Oh I am stiff in the morning too, but loosen up during my ruin and feel great the rest of the day as a result!
    If I don't run in the morning the rest of my life takes over... I find the hayfever is less bad in the morning though, mine seems to cumulate in the early eves.

Have fun running tonight!
  • Options
    Hello all

I've had a crap week with my training this week. Hardly run at all - just been Personal Training my clients instead!!

Must get a long one in next week amd some decent sppedwork!

andy, awesome time in Blackpool, congratulations.
  • Options
    Plenty of time AA, just put this week down as an easy week and enjoy the rest. You might even feel rejuvenated next week.
  • Options
    Hi guys!!!
    My running is going ok but my aim is just to finish probably in about 5:30, but as its my first i just want to finish!!!
    I'm runnnig for Marie Curie so if any of you are very nice please visit my on;ine sponsor page at www.justgiving.com/hayleybellis

The fundraising is hard, I'm going to have to get inventive!!!
    hope people feel like meeting up in New York we need British solidarity.
    thanks
    Hayley
  • Options
    Hi All,

Good luck with your fundraising Hayley and best of luck with your first marathon. It is said that if you get to the start line of a marathon you will finish! So put in steady training now and your confidence will build as November 6th approaches.

Am I the only one who has found that training in the heat takes some getting used to? I ran 45 miles last week (furthest so far) though I feel a little bit drained and tired as a result. I think my body is telling me to have an easy week?

Hope everyones well...

Phil
  • Options
    AW - Most schedules cut back the following week after reaching a new peak in mileage. Usually every three week, after the end of a traning block.

My training is going very well so far. I was just a fraction of second outside my 3k PB last week, then two days later I set a 5k road PB, a 5k track PB the next day, followed by my second fastest 10k on the road. I am still holding a bit back for a few more weeks with the miles.

• Options
    Running in the heat is bad! I did 8 miles in it last Sunday and had to drink a litre of sports drink, Ifelt really drained!!!! I have to do a long run tonight as I did rebok deck on saturday! the pain was unbelieivable!!! I should have nice legs after though! hope everyones training goes well

Hayley
  • Options
    Thanks for the advise URR, that's made my mind up I'm going to take things a little easier this week!. Well done with your PBs
  • Options
    Hi Guys! glad to see you all dealing with the heat and well done with the PBs URR.

I woke up Saturday morning all ready to do the Bourton on the Water hilly half marathon only to find myself covered in red spots. A quick trip to the Docs. and I was told I have chicken pox [at my age 50] and that It is contagous and I should stay at home for a week. Oh well I'll have to bash out a few miles on the ellipitical trainer in the garage for the week while I'm off work.

I'm aiming for 4.00-4.30 in NYM, going with 2.09.
  • Options
    Hi Moonraker,

I guess you could rename the Ellipitical Trainer the "Chicken Run!" Sorry couldn't resist!

Hope you feel better soon,

Phil
  • Options
    Does anyone know of any decent hotels who might be doing a 'deal' in NY?
  • Options
    Good to hear everyone (well most) is training despite the conditions.

Training has been a bit disrupted the last week for me, with work and other things. I did a 12.5 miler yesterday - not much for a sunday but since it was on the back of a 56 mile bike and a 2k swim I'm counting as a long one. Thankfully today is a scheduled 'rest or cross-training' so a pleasant swim will suffice.

Slowmac - there are some hotels on the nyrr web-page doing deals but they are not especially cheap. You could try some of the internet search thing, but I think that 100 USD per night for an en-suite is about as cheap as it gets.
  • Options
    Its good to hear that others have struggled with their training in the hot weather too... I have become a lot slower and find long runs really hard, so decided to run only 10k last week and only 15k this week as my long run. Feeling realy tired after longer runs too, which I normally don't have.

Re accomodation in NY, I'd say try and find a b&b, as hotels are outrageously expensive for titchy basic rooms. I am staying with friends, lucky me!

I can find the details of a 'suite' hotel on the Upper East Side if anyone is interested. The last time I stayed there it was $200 a night for a massive suite you could share with someone. 2 massive double beds, kitchenette, sitting and dining area and bathroom...

Moonraker, what a shock! Chicken pox, I thought only kids got that...

Off for a run again tomorrow morning, so I will get up early to get some cool air...

And running my first ever race on Sunday, the extremely badly organised British 10k road run... not feeling very fast or fit, but hey, I only entered it as practice for running with loads of other people, so that I wont be too baffled in NY.