Options

NT Snowdonia Marathon 2005

Comments

• Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Aunt Moggy: are you planning on taking your own food for the sat night at the hostel? i have spoken to them and they tell me that they have a kitchen for anyones use should you not want the 'bar food' which will probably be the case! i take it that your in a dorm as opposed to a private room?

had visiions of a decent length run today but that idea went to rat shit sadly and ended up doing nothing! bit dissapointed, but might have been for the best. a little cycling and jogging this week i think, and possibly a massage at the gym next wed night.
  • Options
    david: I will probably be reciting the whole menu as I puff my way up Waunfaur. So if you see a red faced woman muttering 'pint of hot chocolate' under her breath say 'Hi". For added motivation visit www.pete's-eats.co.uk.

roadrunner:I am taking my own food sat night and for breakfast. It all went tits up food wise for me the night before my Welsh half mara. Ended up with a congealed bag of chips to eat the evening before the race.Have learnt my lesson! The kitchen at Pen-y-Pas opens at 0700 so plenty of time to make yer porridge before the start!

I have actually booked a twin room for myself (although may be bringing a pal along to drive for me). I have to do a 12 hour on the Tues and we are really busy at the mo so don't really want to have to do the drive back to Norfolk. I am tapering as well this week. Core strengthening class this morning and a few hilly miles on the treadie.Work tomorrow so a 'rest day'!!!!!
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Sounds good. i also have a twin room booked in which to accomodate my injured buddy/support staff!! thinking of bringing a load of pasta etc to cook the evening before and then my usual weetabix, toasted bagels with peanut butter and fruit juice for the morning.
    just four 12 hour shifts to go now, sun mon tue and wed. Then the rest of the days off up until d-day.
  • Options
    Hi This will be my 8th running of snowdon marathon and as usual i am really looking forward to it.
  • Options
    This will be my first marathon so if you see a guy crying in a heap on the ground wearing number 800 don't laugh at me too much!
  • Options
    It was my first marathon last year JPU. Nobody laughed at me though I did get a good deal of encouragement when the going got tough though (and a few slices of mars bar).

A few people laughed at my choice of a first Marathon but, being a bit of a biffer, I only ever intended to run one marathon (to see what it felt like!). Before the race I had no idea that I would get bitten by the Marathon bug but, when Waunfaur beat me, I knew that I'd have to try again this year.

Enjoy it!

The guy who finished alongside me, with whom I had been sharing a word did though put me to shame - he was 73!
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    JPU, what an excellent choice for a first marathon, you will be back again in 2006 i assure you. At least if you get around this one then your pretty much guaranteed to complete all the others you enter!
  • Options
    yep good choice remember, rest on the ascents, don`t run to fast on the long descent into beddgelert, and nice even pacing and then the hill at Waunfawr (correct spelling) is not such a monster, and is actually runnable.
    The most important thing though is just enjoy the experience
  • Options
    jpu, it's my first mara too, so maybe we'll hit the gutter together. i haven't done 26 mile run in my training tho i've done 23 hilly miles a number of times, so i'm hoping there's extra there on the day. how about you ?
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    from what i can recall about last years race, the first uphill (4.5m) was fine, and the next downhill section (8.5) was also good. I seem to remember struggling on the flat/undulating section from there until 21m. The 'hill' was just a case of jogging/walking but i had a good group of people around me around that time so we all dug in a gritted out teeth.
    For me the best part was coming down the other side. My legs felt much better than they had done cos what i hadnt realised is that running down a hill of such gradient actually uses slightly different muscles, so those that i had previously worm out were given a bit of relief.

I remember hearing the tannoy right at the top of the hill which spurred me on a bit. When i got down, i remember thinking that it was very crafty of the organisers to include a trip around the town before getting you to the finish. it would have been so easy for them to put the finish line right at the bottom of the hill (right near to petes eats!)

• Options
    Roasdrunner: I will be there with the pasta too!. I have just finished a 12 hour. One more Sunday and two nights. Finishing Weds morning (which I guess is when you will finish)

david/JPU: this is also my first mara. I intend to plod and enjoy. As I have been following a run/walk schedule I will be finishing very near the back

100at60: Nice to hear from someone who knows the course so well. I do intend, as you say to "just enjoy the experience"
  • Options
    I am always amazed that us runners are able to fit our training in to our lives. Most runners seem to be working all hours!

This sounds as if it is going to be an enjoyable run rather than a race. Don't mind that. Infact, I am looking forward to not having a target finishing time.

If any of you can, try looking at the course on Google Earth using the terrain mode. You can go around the course and see each climb and drop around Snowdon. Looks an awesome course.....

Hope everybody's last taper week goes well!
  • Options
    Knee still giving me problems will be last before i decide to run or not by the looks of it. Looking forward to that much so here's hoping!!
  • Options
    Ooops minute should be in there after before
  • Options
    Plodding on,I too am still having bloody knee problems.Did a few efforts on Thursday evening at the running club and it kicked off towards the end of the session.I`ve rested it and its permanently soaked in biofreeze,today i did lots of stretching /warming up then completed 10 miles at marathon pace and touch wood its okay.
    don`t give up just do gentle,easy miles this week.
    I`ve booked 2 sessions with my physio this week for acupuncture and i`m loading up on the Glucosamine and cod liver oil.
    Good luck everyone on your final weeks training and as the sergeant in Hill st blues used to say;- Hey,lets be careful out there
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    add my knee to the list again! 10 miles at 7.30 m/m pace yesterday which felt really good, but right knee now quite puffy. not painful but just a little swollen.

whats biofreeze?!
  • Options
    biofreeze is a blue gel that just does the same job as ice but its supposed to penetrate a bit deeper.There is a website where you can buy some but i can`t do links,i find if you just google a word that usually gets the site
  • Options
    Roadrunner79: I to ran a 10 miler yesterday morning, felt really strong at the end, Time 1:13, so was very happy till this morning, bit of pain in my left knee. Walked the dogs for an hour, and the pain eased off. Drove to Beddgelert, and then rode my bike to Waenfawr. The last time I had seen "THE HILL" was in 1983, don't know now whether it was such a good idea seeing it before next week. The bike ride back to Beddgelert though was very pleasent, the weather here today was perfect for running, not an ounce of wind. Let's just hope for the same conditions next sunday. I will monitor the local weather forcast nearer the end of the week, and try and give you all a last update on friday evening. 6 DAY'S AND COUNTING FOLK'S !!!!!
  • Options
    I'm starting to panic now as I can not get hold of the race office.

Do any people from the office monitor this thread?
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    just been looking on ebay for some runners knees but to no avail!
  • Options
    http://ossur.com/template110.asp?PageID=1316

Roadrunner try this for size,i think we could all do with a couple
  • Options
    Im ready for this and itching to go, good luck everybody and remember the worst we can suffer is pain, and i for have a strong pain threshold.
    By the way i hope it drizzles with very little wind
  • Options
    The perfect solution Jakesy :-)

• Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    I think il opt for the 'power knee'
    i wonder if they're available on the NHS?
  • Options
    I`m not wrapping myself in cotton wool or nuffink but,i chickened out of our clubs first x country race today through fear of injury.Spectating was rather funny though cos it rained all last night and the course was well boggy,anywaylots of people finished looking like the mud men from the old flash gordon series,was highly amusing.
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    going to do the 3.5mile run to and from work tomorrow at a nice easy pace and then probably call it a day with a short bike ride and a swim later in the week.
  • Options
    maybe an easy 5 miles tomorrow around 8 min/mile
    tuesday 10k
    thursday 10k
    that`ll do me,NO efforts this week
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    and a week off the guinness!