Options

Nice Little Runs in Sutton Park

Comments

• Options

Have had a busy day cross training today.

Up early and did 1km swim this a.m then off to work. Straight after work was at gym by 4 ready for my cross training. This didn't go quite as 'cross-training' as it should have done though!!

Started promising though as 3 of the 4 treadmills that I like were out of order and when I enquired with the lady on the 4th how long she would be she said 40mins!!! Therefore got off to a good cross training start and joined Prue on the bikes. Programmed in a 20 session and made a start. However after about 3mins a gym bloke came over to tell me that another of the treadmills was now working. Well, what else could a runner do .... I aborted mission and jumped on the treadmill image Did the 5km programme and was pleased that I could still manage it on level 6 and then when it had finished I tried to restart it for an interval programme but it didn't seem to like it so I reluctantly got off the treadmill. Then did 15mins on the stepper, where I spent the whole time eyeing up the treadmills. I then had a strong urge to get back on the treadmill and do a couple of miles fast, but Prue reminded me I was here to cross train and I may as well have gone for a run. I therefore got all set up on the rower just to find that it didn't work so swapped onto the other available rower but that didn't work either. The other 2 rowers were occupied so I had no other choice but to get on the treadmill after all. Only did 2.25km as was running out of time, but had a good go and felt great running at a faster pace. image

Shall try to do more cross-training next time!!! image

• Options
    John - LOL at RC about her son, I can better that my wife came LAST at Aldridge last year!! image She got fantastic cheers and a HUGE goody bag with extra stuff in!

RC - where is this Gym? - Me and Carol are in Fitness First but to be honest we havn't been for ages!
  • Options

Did a nice run last night same route as RC and i did on tuesday and its quite a tough little outing. Took it quite easy just to enjoy rather than race it and from Wyndley baths car park round trails and back to Sutton Running Club it was bang on 9 mile which will cheer you up RC and it did take me 1hour 20 mins to run the whole lot .

A nice easy lap of the park tonight RC (the right way round) then curry club sounds good what time and place?

• Options

Morning image

Glad a bout the 9M TR and that it tok you a little while too image Shall we meet at La Reserve at 5:00?

MH - I just use the Birmingham City Council Pulse Point gyms .... wyndley, kingstanding, Erdington etc.

• Options
    La Reserve it is ,  nice and easyimage
  • Options

RC – I bet you were well proud of your son.  Is he going to be defending his title?

Hi Mike - you’re running Aldridge on Sunday?  Are you aiming for a time?

I was a member of Fitness First in Mere Green but cancelled my membership as I didn’t feel the fee was inline with the facilities and cleanliness of the place. It’s the first time I haven’t been a member of a gym for over 5 years, but as Sutton Park is now less than a 5 min jog from my house I’m doing a great deal more running.  It’s cheaper too!

PM – Sympathies, I hate being injured its so frustrating.  Is it a matter of resting to cure it?  

TR – Thanks I was pleased with my time, I think I was 3 mins faster than last year and less sun burnt too.

Did a 12 mile run last night in SP, legs feel a bit tired this morning so a day of rest for me today.  I managed 1h 36m.  

• Options
    Caz - yep, it's an LDWA event.  Usual navigating techniques required - e.g. look for running shoe prints image  Looks like Prue might be coming along too.  We'll have a great day.  (Only biscuits and jaffa cakes at the other checkpoints I'm afraid)   image
  • Options

Last night was day 3 of BvH  Tour  - managed 48 mins for a flat 5 mile canal - legs are starting to tire now - I'm on 2:57:14 for the combined 18:2 miles over last 3 nights and 22nd out of 23 but I'm enjoying myself image

4 Miles of x country tonight - 3 laps of a challenging constantly undulating course image

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2359/2551658269_52f3720650_b.jpg

• Options

...........and I've just entered Aldridge 10k on sunday too

anyone else other than MH doing this from here? 

• Options

Here are the details of the SP Gates run

Wednesday 25th June

Sutton Park Gates Run.  Map Ref SP 115963 on sheet 139. Parking inside Town Gate just beyond the playground. Starting near Town Gate you have to visit the other six gates in the Park and return to Town Gate. Distance is about eight miles. Choose your own route. A mixture of park road and footpath running. Start times for this event are from 5.30 to 7.30.

Organiser: Bob Brandon - tel. 02476 505050.

• Options
    As a Sutton chap myself now living away (not for long, I'm coming back!), Sutton Park is fantastic, it's where I did all my early running. Just heard the long awaited Birmingham Half Marathon is being announced on Wednesday 11th next week. Apparently the thread says they've got a major sponsor lined up to take them to the Olympic Games in 2012. Sounds fantastic. Let's all have a go!
  • Options

PM - hope the injury clears up quickly. I'm on the injured list as well this week, twisted my ankle in the Lakes last weekend. Chance for a wee bit of a rest anyway image

AA - your tour looks good. Harriers do a Tour of Telford which I've never got around to doing. You might have inspired me to this year!

Tumps - thanks for those details. Can't remember if we're around then but I quite fancy it, s'always a bit of fun 

• Options
    Cheers Tumps was only talking to RC about the run last night  Ohh and best wishes for your little one .
  • Options

AA - well done on your running this week.   Sounds like really hard work, doing five races over five nights!!!!

ER - I'm doing the Telford Sexarathon (if that's the race series you're referring to).   Three races down now, three to go.   Have enjoyed the challenge of running courses and distances that I wouldn't normally do (thought the races were all 10k when I entered, then found out that there was only one 10k, the rest being 5k and 4 milers!!!   Yes, I know, I should read the race info more carefully!!).  The races are really well supported (huge club turnout) and there's are real mix of ability - have now been lapped by the winners on two races, but hey, who cares!!

I'm doing Aldridge 10k on Sunday, so hope to see you there!

• Options

stilldreaming: see you tomorrow!

well it's a rest day for me today after 6 days of running and then Aldridge tomrrow   ( I'm sounding like RC now wiht all this regular running )

got a 5k race on thurs and then Rubery Crumble on following Sunday image

• Options

We'll have to have a BEANIE get together for the annual Round the Park event.  Who's in?

Octavian Droobers Round the Park 

The Juicer

Evil Rich

Tumps 

• Options

Octavian Droobers Round the Park 

The Juicer

Evil Rich

Tumps

Anthony a 

• Options

Well Aldridge 10k was scorching hot today - just like in 2006.

Didn't feel too bad in the the first 5k - 29 mins  but then the heat, hill at 9k  and the busy running week took it's toll and I finished in 1:02:10, but I don't care about times anymore so it doesn't matter image

Well I've  done a 30 mile week ( and no niggles to speak of ) with the Tour Of Bournville and the Aldridge 10k. So it's the BRAC 5K on Thurs and then the Rubery Crumble on Sunday to look forward to.

Mike hawes: great to see you

stilldreaming: sorry I didn't see you at the race image

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3024/2561157492_65780112fa_b.jpg

About to collaspe at the end of Aldridge 10k image

• Options

AA - well done on such a full running week AA image Glad you enjoyed today too. Best of luck for your races next week. Will catch up with you at the crumble, coming to supprt TR doing the Runmble ... light weight!!!

Well today was a scorcher indeed, and stood at the start line of The Potters Arf I did wonder why I didn't opt for the shorter distance of the Aldridge 10k. In fact, I was so put off by the distance (not done anywhere near it since Stratford!!) and the heat, that I almost bottle it on the start line, but TR convinced me to stay put and just take it easy ..... which I did!!

Was a pretty tough course from the start and for the first 3M I almost talked myself into a DNF but somehow, for some reason I stuck with it and what would you know I would even go as far to say I ENJOYED the event and the distance. No pressure other than the fact I needed to be sub2 to get a medal .... but I thought stuff that too and stayed comfortable, taking in the scenery ... council estates, boarded up pubs and pavement, concrete and tarmac. But as I said, I was honestly quite enjoying it!?!?! Support was excellent and the miles came and went no prob. lots of big hills (of the pavement/road variety) to break up the pace and I can quite proudly say I ran them all (other than the rediculous one at mile 12 but to be fair I didn't see one other person run it either!!).

Felt pretty good in the second half as I made my way through the field and barely a sole passing me (always good for the confidence in the later stages) and I felt pretty strong even at the end. Must admit was a little disappointed to see 1:54 on the cloak as I had FELT so strong but a result I am pleased with considering the heat and the toughness of the course, and my lack of distance running lately!!

TR got 1:46 which he was disappointed with as he at really given it some effort but you can't have a cracking run like 1:01 at GMFR every week ... and 1:46 is still great in those conditions .... he's just a moaner image

Great pub lunch and a couple of pints this side of Stone after (needed some greenery) .... now need to psyche myself up for the Midweek series on Wed, Wedgenock series on Thurs and then Stumble on Sat!!

Need to give Wedgnock all my efforts and focus as I had a PRIZE arrive in the post on Fri. Seems I scooped a £10 voucher for first senior female last month imageimage

Juicer - will have kids on the Wed of the SP event ...... child friendly pub after an option??

• Options

If it's a nice evening, it's always nice to have a drink at the Park House.  Plenty of room for kids to run about there image

• Options

Looks like everyone's been busy running. Great performances and I'm impressed with AA running every bloody night!

Glad to say the injury cleared up after resting and I had three really good days running in Central Park. It's a good place to run but there are a lot of runners about! And, although there are nice paths through woods, they are quiet areas and skaters, runners, etc are not allowed. The path round the reservoir gives fantastic views and overall it was very enjoyable. Given the time difference I was wide awake very early each day so was running by 6.15! Even at that time there were a lot of people doing the same. Then the heatwave hit. Sunday morning, running at 6.15 in temperatures of 82! Didn't break any records but did something like, 5M, 7M and 5M. All good stuff.

So what's this Octavian Droobers thing all about then? Who's around this week and at the weekend? I want to try to make the most of this week and next before going off to Glastonbury.

That all sounds fairly sensible given that I landed at 8am this morning having had very little sleep on the plane...

• Options

RC: I call it the crumble but  there is only one option this year  - rumble or crumble it's seven mile multi terrain tough off roader - so he's not actually a lightweight.

ER / P'MAN :  Your prescence is expected at the Rumble on Sunday image

• Options

AA - yeah, we looked it up after and saw that. Shame, but great event still no doubt!

Rest day today ...no cross training either image

• Options
    PruePrue ✭✭✭

Good to seee you all up and running! - Well done AA, and brilliant week. 

TR, Caz, Still Sdreaming, AA, MH - glad to see you enjoyed your races, twas a warm day yesterday!  Well done.

What date is the Park thing again??? 

I feel like a total beginner at the moment, finally got back running without any pain last week while I was in ireland and it was fantastic!!!  Have really missed it!!!  Just need to get my body use to running again now after 5 weeks off any proper milage.  Don't think I'm quite up for racing at the moment, as I seem to have no speed what so ever :-/   But I'll try and make the round the park run ( I might just go off for a run by myself) then meet you all in the pub after image

RC - Enjoy your rest day.   

• Options

rc: what are rest days ?   Did another 4 mile tonight at BvH  image

prue: did you run around the Dingle Peninsula ? 

• Options
    Hmmm, Rubery Rumble. 7 miles tough multi-terrain. But it hasnt rained so there shouldnt be much mud. I could even be tempted. Where is it and what time?
  • Options
    I'm up for the Rumble - I need more miles though, this xc Marathon thing is only next week!

What a great Aldridge 10K Anthony - boiling hot though , I didn't even look at the momento till I got home it's brilliant! Great to see you again - lost a bit of weight!! image
  • Options

p'man: Its a lovely run - 7 miles - one lap - abundant hills - lovely scenery -  starts and finishes at Rubery Community & Leisure Centre - B94 9AD  11 AM START  £10 UNAFILLATED £8 AFFILATED Entries on Day

mike haews - cheers 

• Options
    Doh!  Forgot about the Crumble Rumble.  I've put in for the Stumble now.  Do all the races this weekend rhyme?
  • Options

image Juicer

Hope things go better for me tomorrow!! Went out for a run then gym earlier, ran a mile and then gaveup, ran back and went to Tesco for some BBQ stuff for TR and I :-/