Options

Nice Little Runs in Sutton Park

Comments

• Options

Evening Beanies,

Well its my 1st visit back here to the forum for a week. I have been so peed off about not being able to run I just couldnt bear to log on and read about everyones runningimage.

7th day of complete rest today, hip is feeling 85-90% better. If I actively overstretch the hip I can still feel a slight pain but not as bad as it was a week ago.

As for Sunday, Im booked onto the 5k Cure Lukemia but the sports therapist told me to try and resist racing as although its much better I still have to act as if im injured for a little while yet starting back with short slow runs and build back up from there.

He reckoned it was an slight overuse injury image...........me......... overuse????....don't only proper runners get that??  He also said it could have been triggered by the off road running I did a couple of weeks ago.  Thats up to personal opinion but I would have thought off road was easier on the joints than the pavements?...he probably doesnt know so just used that as an excuse image

Anyway, I really want to do the 5k, so he said if I do it just jog it and dont look for a time, treat it as a training run to see how the hip handles low and slow mileage.  I only want the medal really image 

What would you guys do?  I'll take your experienced advice.

I havent run for 7 days and I dont want to lose any fitness.  Ive got off roading to do with the beanies and tumps is dying to get me back on the trails image

AA - Have a great time "working" in Spain you lucky so and so.

PM - All the best in Russia and dont drink too many red bulls and vodka...it might give you wings.

• Options
    PruePrue ✭✭✭

Dh - I know what you mean about feeling pissed off about not running.  I've been struggling with that myself.  I'm just back to cross training again now without pain, so feel things are moving in the right direction. 

As for your 5K on Sunday......  its a tough decision.  I decided to run (not race) the DK10K last week  but looking back now, I know it wasn't the right thing to do, as all I did was re inflame around the tears I have in the hamstring.  At the time it didn't feel that bad, just a little tight and sore on the ups, but later that week wasn't great.  There is also a chance too, in a race situation that you might just go that tad bit faster than you would in a normal training run.  Good luck with your decision. its a toughie, as all you wanna do is run!

Well done you lot on your races, TR, Caz, Juicer and ER.

AA - Enjoy the sunshine - and PM, enjoy the Vodka image 

• Options
    running cazrunning caz ✭✭✭

Hope all is well soon DH and Prue!

TR and I did the first race in the Wedgnock Race Series last night. Lovely little run in Stratford out in the sticks. Was mainly trails and small rutted paths (pretty difficult underfoot for at least half of it) with some country lanes and farmers fields to run through. Very quaint and picturesque. Started slow (ankle was hurting) and picked up from about 3M on, although the whole thing was prob the best I could mustre. Quite undulating, particulary towards the end but some nice downhill too. TR finished 45mins and I came in just after 50mins. TR was 12th man and I was 5th lady image Nice pub meal after and two glasses of red wine for me ..... seemed like a lifetime since I'd had any!!

Juicer/ER - have a great weekend

PM - you too!

Get my car back later image Oh how I'm looking forward to driving to the park and having a nice muddy run SLOWLY image

• Options

DH - as Prue said it's a tough call. The most important thing is to make sure you come back from injury OK.

RC - good way to celebrate getting the car back.

As for vodka, thankfully I never touch the stuff. But there's not much chance of getting rum in Russia so I'll stick to beer!

• Options
    More beer the better i say image     enjoy your trip PM
  • Options

DH.  How annoying being told you've got an 'over-use' injury.  How useful is that?  That's like falling out of a tree and being told you've got a 'falling' injury.  Your physio should at least have made an effort to diagnose it properly (eg strain, tear, bursitis, joint, muscle, tendon etc etc), as then you may have more idea how to treat it and how long you should rest for.  Oh well, it has to be said that whatever it is, most injuries will respond to rest, and careful rehabilitation.

I think if I were you, I would run a mile or for 10 minutes today and see how it responds to that.  If it feels ok, then you should be ok to run for 3.1 miles.  It's always difficult not to make an effort in a race though!

Good luck and keep putting the ice on    x 

RC/TR - Sounds a good night last night, great fun image

• Options

Going to be quiet on here this weekend.

Decided to have a rest day yesterday. All these short fast races taking their toll, plus having my car (freedom and independence) back meant I just wanted to drive to lots of places and do things. Didn;t get home from work til 8:30 because of it!!

Anyway decided to have a nice lie in (as been feeling really washed out for about 3 weeks now (think I may be aneamic so have bought some iron supplements and will overdose on broccoli and spinach for the next week or so)). Woke up at 6:00 as usuall but managed to doze on and off til 9:00 image Meant that when I finally got up I was raring to go for a run image

Went to SP and di just over 10M. Intended to keep  the whole thing at 10min/miling but pace did quicked towards the end. Found the first 2 miles hard but really got into it and enjoyed it from there. Just wished it was a bit muddier. Masters relays were on so I stopped for 2mins and watched them all run up 3 tier hill (Prue - doesn't your cousin usually do that event?). Splits were: 9:55, 9:50, 9:27, 10:25, 9:33, 9:46, 9:25, 9:26, 9:25, 8:33, 1:05(7:44) so was a nice easy run compared to what I've been doing lately!!

Just found the results from the Thurs race series we did and turns out I was actually 4th lady and 2nd in my age category ... although there was only 22 females! TR was 12th overall out of 63 runners, I placed 26th. Will be interesting to see how the rest of the series goes .... although I am doing this as an indicator for personal improvement with speed as it's the same course, once a month til August.

Eastnor 7 tomorrow. Have decided against racing it and shall just enjoy the nice scenic run image

• Options
    ER/Juicer: i'm o'ing on the wrekin tomorrow!!
  • Options
    Has anyone done the Cheltenham Circular Challenge? its a sort of 4 loop walk/run thing that can add up to 26.2. I really fancy it - but I haven't done more than a 1:30 run since stratford - the cobra last week, Cure leukemia tomorrow, Sutton Fun run, Aldridge 10K then this on the 22nd. Not really got the miles in - I think I'll risk it!
  • Options

OHHHH its very quiet 

No sorry MH never done that one

• Options
    Hi TR ,

I'm feeling *very* keen at the moment, off to the New Forest next week so I'll get loads of training in.

Think of all the money I'll save beacuse the little one can't ride for 5 weeks - even with a plastic cast on her arm!
  • Options

Hi Guys,

I popped in your forum about 12 months ago as I know you all do a fair amount of running in Sutton Park. I was hoping to meet up for some training runs, but at about that time I was made redundant and priorities changed some what.

Is anyone doing the Nottingham Mara?  I’ve entered and it will be my first Marathon so obviously quite nervous.  I’m about to enter into the last 16 weeks of training and was wondering if any of you will be dong some long runs over the next 16 or so weekends or evenings?

• Options

Hi Johnn .... more than welcome to join us on runs. Keep your eyes peeled for a meet on here. I'm having a bit of a running lul at the moment ...... on hols for a bit too.

TR and I are doing Nottingham half ..... good luck on your mara training!

• Options

Just popped in to report back on Windermere marathon.   Brilliant day out - the weather was kind to us, sunny but cool, and the scenery/organisation/marshalling etc perfect.  Really pleased with my PB time of 4:22:40 - a bit off Juicer's prediction of 4:15, but she has forgiven me as the course was hillier than the one she thought I was running (Shakespeare).   Reckon I can put my improved time down to being more thorough and consistent in my training and doing a lot of my long runs off-road, which has helped to prevent some of the aches and pains I usually get when I "up" my mileage.  Very happy bunny!!

And just to kill myself off completely, I ran the Telford AC Sexarathon Race 2 tonight (5k - three laps of a playing field) ..... can't do fast, short races .... got lapped by the winner, who finished in 15 minutes something, whilst I plodded home in 26:17 .... kind of puts everything into context (though running 26 miles on Sunday probably didn't helpimage!!).

Have fun running folks ..................

• Options

Well done Stilldreaming does sound like a nice race Windermere.

Welcolme  Johnn will be up for some long runs but do have a lot of races booked up before Nottingham half but im sure RC will fit some in to a plan so just keep an eye out.

Managed 13 mile round the park with a few loops last night , have had four days off due to doing three races in five days so was really enjoying just running last night on a nice cool evening.Legs feel a bit carp this morning must start getting one run a week in again of about 15 mile if i dont have a half the same week.

Went to my toolmaker yesterday who was a runner in the early 90's and gave me a 1993 horse brass for the Cobra Classic , better than the dodgie mug this yearimage RC will be very impressed will have to show her and take to the club tonight to remind them how it used to be in the good old days.

Well done PM bet he was on the beer last night with a rather large smile.

Have a good run all.  

• Options
    PruePrue ✭✭✭

SD - Fantastic a P.B! A great time image So have you another one planned already? 

John - Good luck with your marathon training, I'll hopfully be back and running after a niggling injury soon, so look out fo social lists on here for runs.  I'm sure if doing a long run, you'll manage to arrange someone to come along for a bit of company. 

Caz - No my cousin got injured in a track session just before the relays, so had to knock em on the head this year....  shame reallly as I was looking forward to seeing him run. 

Well  I managed 4k   .......  yep a whopping 4K on the treadmill last night, with out my hamstring hurting, its feeling a bit werid this morning so may just cross train again today.  But am dead chuffed to be slightly plodding again.  Its been over 4 weeks since I've had a weekly milage over 25 miles.  The only plus side of not running is that it gives you focus on other things, like loosing weight and strengthing core and tonning the upper body.  And been able to spend more time with my little un without running being fitted in over the weekend! image

• Options
    PruePrue ✭✭✭
    DH - How are you doing?  What decision did you make in the end about Sunday?  These bloomin injuries are a really nightmare and very frustrating!!!!!  Hope your on the road to recovery....... 
  • Options

Thanks guys, will keep an eye out on here to join you for a few runs.   I ran an enjoyable 11 miles last night in the park – longest run I’ve done since the Kenilworth half in Oct 06, where does the time go?

I’ve got a busy June ahead GMFR, Aldridge 10K, Arden 9 and the Gate Gallop. Any of you guys running any of these?

• Options

Random question; does anyone know of any children's parks with lots of bars to climb on? I need to be able to do chin ups, and I can't. So I need to work up to it. I know there are bars around the reservoir, but I'm thinking more of a collection of bars that I can climb up, so I can use my legs a bit at first as well. If that makes sense.

I ran a sub ten minute mile yesterday.  And I didn't even use my mp3 player.image

• Options
    PruePrue ✭✭✭
    Deis Go Girl!!!!!- Google chin ups and it will show you a way of practising them.  You could always buy a bar that fits on to a door way at home and practice there.  If not Banners gate in Sutton park has a play area with that you could practice on.  But the best bet would eb the gym, as they have chin up bars where you can use weights to assist you.  Kingstanding and Wyndley gym have them, so might be a good idea to check your local bham city council gyms out. 
  • Options

Johnn - yes, GMFR, Arden 9 and Gate Gallop. See you around image Will defo sort some runs in the park ..... watch this space!!

Deiss - only bars I know are of the social/alcoholic variety image

Prue - see you in a bit .... quite looking forward to a little run .... 3 days!! Longest I've been without a run in at least 5 months!!

• Options
    Johnn you wasn't running in a grean cap last night was you as i did follow a chap for a couple of miles round bracebridge lake  area . Have also got GMFR , Arden 9  but think i have child minding for Gate Gallop  this year image  
  • Options

Hi Guys

Well, im back running, albeit lower mileage than usual to just break myself back in, Ive done x 2 - 3.5 milers and a 5 miler.  Hip ached a tad towards the end of the 5 miler but I did the stretches I was shown by the sports therapist and iced it, seems to be 90% better.

So just building it back up. I tend to let my core strength training exercises slip so Im going back in the gym to get some weight training in.

Going to try a 6 miler at the weekend, not going to worry about speed, just get the mileage in.

Prue - great to hear youve managed a short run with no problems, how long before you think you'll be back out on the pavements?  I chose not to do the 5k race -  I know I would have pushed it and probably made my hip worse again, so I took advice and let it be, like RC says, there will be plenty of others.

I do need to get another race booked though, it will keep me focussed, can anyone suggest some nice 10ks not too far away (distance wise) that would be a good course for me?

Deis - do you fancy linking up soon for a run around the reservoir or even some pavement plodding around edgbaston?? Im running between 10.30-11 min miles at the moment keeping it easy. i really dont want to flare this hip up again, just a week not running had me climbing the walls image

I fancy some off roading again too image

• Options
    Yeah, that'd be great.  I want to work on actually running for longer periods of time, so keeping pace with you would definitely help with that.
  • Options

DH good to hear your back running just take it easy. Couple of close races for the diary

Rubery Rumble  15th June

Timberhonger  29th June

Lichfield  07th Sept

Walsall  28th Sept

All 10k not to far away, Good Luck

• Options

Did a nice 5-6 accross country last night on a club run in Halesowen they do like their hills over that way, will try and fit another lap of the park in later then its load the car for a week in Inverness with four kids ,should be an interesting journey  wonder if we will see a monsterimage.

Should be last post for a week or so, enjoy your runs all, Hope Scotland is ready for us. 

• Options

Thanks for the info on the 10k's TR...had a look at the Rubery Rumble.....Hilly image, will have a look at the others later. Have a great weeks break, Im sure you'll get some running in whilst away with some amazing views.

Went out early this morning to get my run in. did 6.05 miles in 67.53. Hip felt OK so it seems as though im recovering well but im still taking things easy.

Deis - so lets hook up some time next week for a run, we can either do the reservoir or do some pavement plodding, have a chat and lets see what your goals are. I note you want to join the army. I'll refer to you as G.I Jane!!  I'll contact you via your email to arrange something.

Not heard anything from PM - I presume he is back from Russia with love image....and vodka!

Tumps - Another week of easy runs and I'll be ready for an off roader, what do you reckon??

• Options

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!

Finally got back on Friday afternoon after having a mighty total of 14 hours sleep since Monday morning. I wont even try to explain how I feel and what it was like. Just unbelieveable. When we meet up next I'll bore you with all the details! I'm absolutely knackered but so happy.

I'm probably in need of a run or two to get back into shape for the Fun Run next week! I wanted to go out today but I'm waiting for the plumber to arrive (anytime after 8am - pah!). So I'm up for any runs tomorrow and during the week (except Wednesday afternoon and Thursday morning).

Gate Gallop would be good to do again - what's the date?

Well done stilldreaming, DH and everyone else.

John - as the rest say, just look out on here for runs in the park. You'll spot me easy - I'll be the one with the stupid grin on my face all summer...

• Options
    Just had a look at the Gate Gallop and I'll be at Glastonbury. Does anyone have dates for local races (probably 10K) coming up in the next couple of months?