Options

Sub 3:00 FLM 2006

Comments

• Options
    yes watch that calf, once they pop, you can be out for months!... that 200m session is one i stole off local olympian paul evans, who at his peak won the chicago marathon in 2.08! i first tried the session with paul and it nearly killed me at first! but now 2 years on i can do this session fine, its amazing what the body will do!
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    This talk of speed work and 200m/400m reps is interesting. My marathon PB is currently 3:09, and I’d like to have a crack at sub 3:00 at Luton in December (anybody know what this course is like?). I’ve just done an Ironman this summer so have been doing 75% Max HR running for ages now at about 60 miles a week. My pace at 75% MHR is currently just under 8 minute miling (still recovering from IM), with virtually no drift over longer distances. I was planning on introducing 2 midweek “effort” sessions, probably around 12-15 miles each at a heart rate of 160. Then after a few weeks when I get rid of any HR drift in these runs move it up to 165 (I ran FLM this year with an average of 168 ~= 87% Max HR), and do the same again. All other runs would be done ~75% Max HR, and I think my average mileage will be 70 a week (currently 60). I also turbo train for an hour most mornings too at a low HR (< 70% ).

Given that the 160 and 165 runs will be pretty close and eventually will be marathon pace, what value will speedwork bring ? Will it :

a) increase my pace at lower HRs ? If so how ?
    b) decrease my HR drift at 165-168 ? If so how ?
    c) make me faster in the last 10k when I will be running increasingly anaerobicly (is there such a word) ?
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Nigel, I run for small club-Egdon Heath Harriers in Dorset.

I do 15x400, which is all from Mike Gratton's schedule. It's thanks to MG and his advice that I made the progress I did in the last year or so.

70 miles a week will I'm sure give you the extra endurance to do that sub 2:45 marathon.

Cartman, I believe Luton is 4 laps, but I'm not sure what the couse is like.

Isn't 12-15 miles of 'effort' a little much?

My understanding of speedwork for the marathon is to:-
    a)develop smoother/efficient running
    b)develop the ability to handle anaerobic work so that at the end of the marathon when the slow twitch muscles tire the body can call on the fast twitch
    c)improve pace at cruising speed

I'm sure theres more to it, but I'm not very scientific about these things:o)
  • Options
    Gold Rush - My average heart rate at Yateley was 180. This was averaging 6.30 minute miles. In trg i average Heart Rate of about 163 approx doing 7 min miles. I have only just started using a HRM, recently got back into trg after a lazy few months and i have just given up smoking (Sun) so I am expecting it to be a little while before any real sense can be made of the readings im getting. But they should be interesting though to look back and compare the "slightly out of shape smoker" readings to the "finely tuned athlete" readings in a few months (delete "finely tuned athlete" and insert "swanny looking a gaunt former shadow of himself that has nearly killed himself in pursuit of a PB"
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    thanks Hilly,

I should have said the 12-15miles includes 1-2 mile warm up and warm down... Typically I'd do either 3 or 4 reps of 5k recording any change in pace from rep to rep. so the whole lot isn't really effort.

• Options
    Hilly, I do a weekly track session with reps of 400 / 600 / 800, normally finishing on 4 x 200. After a month of only doing low key races, I've dropped the milage slightly in the last 7 days and produced 4 new PBs (10k, 5M, 3.5M, 3km SC) in the week.

I'm sure this track session is the reason behind my improvement. Annoyingly I'm not going to have a chance to race over 10km before Berlin, so I can't really comment on the endurance effects, but over the last week, I've generally been under 6 mins for each racing mile and it's starting to feel more like cruising.

Last night I managed the 3.5 miler in 19:57 - another 40 seconds off my PB in a month - this time averaging 5:42m/M and racing against people the I used to watch disappear into the distance!

I'm now really looking forward to the 10km of the London triathlon on Sunday - just a shame I'll have to swim / cycle first!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Swanny, far better trying to kill yourself in pursuit of a pb than smoking your life away!:o)

Cartman, I guessed it would be something like that, but thought I'd ask:o) What kind of pace would you be doing for 3-4 reps of 5km?

JEJ, how many reps do you do of each of those distances and how much did you drop your mileage by?

Also, did you just drop the mileage for the races or to do faster track work?
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    Hilly,

I'd probably be doing them between 7:10 min/mile and 6:40 min/mile pace, i.e. close to target marathon pace. From about 8 weeks before the marathon I'd be doing them at the HR I intend to use in the race itself (am guessing at 168 at the minute).

Should have also mentioned, I do through in 1 or 2 sets of short fast hills reps each week to keep the fast twitch active and get the heart going.

I'm really interested to know if anybody has seen improvement at "lower" HRs, i.e < 87% Max) through the use of speedwork. I have no doubt that speedwork will help make higher HRs feel more comfy, but for marathons I always thought it was about getting the most out of your lower HRs (i.e. the aerobic system).
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    oops "through" = "throw"
  • Options
    Nigel - looks like it will be months as woke up this morning with soreness in lower calf area as I had a few weeks ago - obviously 2 3mile sessions back to back is too much for it - frustrating to say the least. I am playing tennis tonight and will then ice the area and stretch and give running a miss again for a week and then see what happens. Can see myself deferring to 2007 at this rate!!!!
  • Options
    Andre,
    i had a calf problem like this 3 years ago, and tennis will really aggravate it. i cycled 10 or 20 miles a day and also did some swimming to retain some cardio vascular fitness. Then on rehab, when the calf pain had gone i built the muscle up again with 5 min jog, and the next day 10 mins and so on. But cycling and swimming will maintain a good level of fitness, without straining the calf. Dont worry you will be fine for 2006 !
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback on GPS and the Milton Keynes Half. Perhaps I'm not on the way out after all.

For someone like me who has still not cracked 40mins for 10k yet your times are quite frightening Nigel. I do very little speedwork as I have run 5 marathons in the last 15 months, and generally find that I'm too knackered to fit in speedwork. The thought of 24X 200m fills me with horror.

Had a lovely run in the rain to work in Central London this morning for the first time ever. The 13miles took my mileage for the week up to 62 with Saturday still to go. I'll increase that to over 70mpw through the next 6 weeks and then start my taper for Cardiff in October.

All pretty much dross running, with the odd race thrown in to sharpen me up. Perhaps not the perfect preparation, but the best I can do with a full time job and a young family.

On being iiritable when not running. I'm more irritable all the time after taking up running. When I was fat I was a jolly Mr Blobby, after losing weight (3st) via excercise I've turned into a bit of a monster, I lose my rag with everyone all the time. Must be something to do with my tetesterone levels or something.

JEJ-Good luck in the Tri!

Finally my sources tell me that the Luton marathon is quite hilly. Not a course I would attempt.

• Options
    Thanks Nigel - you are right the tennis is quite stop start and explosive but I only have a few matches to go before season finishes. I think I will have to go back to 5 mins of jogging and then build up with plenty of stretching.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Cartman, I don't really run by heart rate, but did record my heart rate quite a bit while training for London and during races. I didn't actually wear my monitor for the marathon, but I wore it for a 20 miles race 6 weeks before and the results were of the following:

Mile HR
    1&2-14:29 147
    3-7:08 147
    4-7:01 147
    5-7:01 151
    6-6:57 154
    7-6:34 156
    8-6:56 156
    9-7:00 156
    10&11-13:16 156
    12-6:45 156
    13-6:51 156
    14-6:35 156
    15&16-13:91 155
    17-6:39 156
    18-6:40 156
    19-6:50 156
    20-6:33 156 finsih 2:16:41 average heart rate 77%WHR.
  • Options
    Dull napoleon,
    yes, track sessions are a bit daunting at first, but trying to work those fast twitch muscles is very important, and the feeling is great when the sessions over.good luck at cardiff, you will do well.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I don't really enjoy the fast sessions either, but feel great afterwards!

Last week I got to the track and had a real mental battle with myself to keep going. I made a deal with my negative mind that if I went outside a certain time for the 400's I'd call it a day, but I never like defeat much, so I made sure they stayed inside the time:o)
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    Hi hilly,

I remember you posting those splits vs. heart when you did that race and being very jealous at the pace vs. HR and the complete lack of drift !!! I remember seeing those and thinking you were definitely on for a sub 3:00.. Keeping sub 6:52 pace at such a low HR (relative to ~87% Max which I believe is as high as "normal" people can still be 100% aerobic)

I'm not sure I will do any speedwork (apart from my short hill reps), i think its safer for me at least (to avoid injury) to keep plugging away at my marathon and 75% HR and eek out improvements there. I haven't been injured though running for 18 months and that is primarily due to me not doing speedwork or 5k pace runs..
  • Options
    Hilly, The sessions vary from week to week. The last 3 have been:
    12 x 400 with 45sec recovery + 4 x 200
    6 x 600, 4 x 400 with 90sec recovery for the 6's, 60sec for the 4's, then 4 x 200
    800, 600, 400 x 3 (recoveries 90, 60, 1 lap) then 4 x 200

The only downside is that I'm right in the middle of the two groups - group 2 contains a 2:33 marathon runner and a couple of 16ish min 5km runners. I can keep up for the first half, but really suffer the next day. The second group is normally 3 secs per lap behind me so there's not too much to push me. I normally set off with group 1, then latch onto the faster guys as they overtake - I have the speed to match them over the last 200m (and generally win at least one of the sprints at the end) so I guess I get the best of both worlds without killing myself completely.

I find that it takes a while longer to recover after a session including any 800's - the 4's and 6's don't take too much out of me.

My mileage the week before last was just short of 100. On the track day, I'd do a 5 mile recovery run at lunch, then run about 3 miles to the track, complete about 4 - 5 miles on the track and then jog home - makes it a tough session, but I think it helps with the recovery.

With regular races from last Thursday, on schedule has been:
    W: 5 miles slow
    T: 5 mile race, 4 mile warm up/down
    F: Rest! (first time in ages)
    S: Steeplechase with 3 mile warm up/down
    S: 10km race with 5 mile warm up/down
    M: 2 x recovery = 11 miles
    T: 5 miles recovery, 4 miles track with 6 miles 'commute'
    W: 5 miles recovery
    T: 3.5 mile race with 3 mile warm up/down
    total in 8 days = 67.5 but much of that was at an intense pace
    Today: pub sounds appealing!!!

After the London tri, I'll be back up to 90+ miles of slower running - I figure I've got more than enough pace, just need to make sure the endurance is there to go sub 3...
  • Options
    Cartman

Injury fears in one reason I don't push my luck too much on the track doing speedwork.

Early last year my hamstring went on a simple 10 mile training run on a flat road at the 2 mile point for no apparent reason. It wasn't a serious injury, but whizzing around doing anything like 200m or even 400m reps when my legs are as dodgy as that would be lunacy.

It's a pity really because for my age I'm probably better as a sprinter/middle distance runner, but marathon running is the safer option.
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    thanks DN, just read your bit about the Luton marathon being hilly (the finishing times seem to indicate that also, 2:36 won it last year) :(.. Anybody else know of a flat reasonable low key one in Dec ?
  • Options
    CARTMAN

Not many in December in the UK you'll find

I'm doing Cardiff in early Oct....flat as a pancake, but may be a little too soon for you.

Over the winter you tend to have to go abroad to find a marathon to run

In December Lanzarote,Majorca,Jamaica,Barbados,Lisbon etc etc

I guess from the location that Barbados would be the flattest. Pretty low as well as it costs a fortune to get there.
  • Options
    There's Disney in January, which is flat.

Air fares as reasonable as possible if you treat it as a holiday, and, oh waffle waffle....
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    I think overseas marathons are out of the question..

might just give luton a shot anyway... I might get another shot in April, but won't be able to taper for that, or get as many work sessions in...
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks JEJ for explaining your sessions. My problem with speed work is I nearly always do my track session alone. I did manage to persuade a male friend who was coming back from injury to come to the track with me one week and my reps were about 3 secs quicker. It just shows having someone to work with/off makes you push that bit harder.

My club does not do track sessions as they are a road club and they very rarely do 'proper' structured speed sessions, so when I go I use club night as a hard run by trying to front run with the faster guys as much as possible.

DN and Cartman, I definitely think it's speedwork that brings on injuries, so if you can get away with reaching your goal without or with little I don't blame you!
  • Options
    I didnt do any speedwork at all for this years London (3.17:47), but then it was my first one. I believe where i can make up the time is my endurance which can be improved with a more robust long run trg plan as i really lost it in the last 10km. Having said that my long runs will always include quite a number of hills due to the nature of the terrain where i live so they will obviously help. Seeing as i have 17 mins to lose though im of the opinion that i will do anything to help and I am considering structured intervals sessions, hill work, etc but i am scared of the possible injuries too.
    Having just upped my milage and trg lately my shins are killing me again, just like they did about 12 months ago when i started running. So i had a night off tonight, long run tomorrow, might go for 16 miles, longest since FLM!
  • Options
    Swanny, there's great potential for improvements from all corners of the training regime there. And It's a brilliant starting time to go from too.

I'd suggest that the main focus would be on the long range runs. 1 per week. I alternate between a 20 and a 14. Using a long enough prog for FLM, that starts Christmas, to get say 6x 20s in.

I'm currently looking at Cardiff (Oct) which has let me get a few "warm up" 20 milers at slow pace, and now to start a bit more on the focussed and pacey 20's.

Midweek just adds miles to the tally, maybe with a midweek pace/race sesh.

Er, that's it.
  • Options
    Unless you're prone to injury, I would recommend speed work in a marathon plan - whilst it's not as important as long and threshold runs, it really does help efficiency at marathon pace - I did a 3.5 mile race and found that 5:30m/M pace was a cruise - even managed a sprint finish. This in turn helps my 10k pace which helps HM pace... I'll leave it there until after Berlin!
  • Options
    Blisters
    Re Race-the Train : You'll need to run out at a fastish pace to the turn- around as the second half climbs up narrow sheep-tracks which in places make overtaking risky.
    I wore fell shoes which were light but gave me enough grip uphill and over the boggy bits.
  • Options
    Just got in from my 16 miler, i could have carried on too so i am well chuffed. Im aiming to get in about 10 20+ milers before the day. Im still doing the odd 5k, 10k and half marathon here and there. But i have decided that i will definately start doing some hill reps. Unfortunately i dont feel its right for me to do short fast flat reps. Like i said previously its just not flat where i live and i really dont want to keep running up and down the same bit of "flat" ground. I may look into where my closest track is, but as a bit of a newbie to this lark im also a little apprehensive about joining a club.
  • Options
    blisters - Sorry, my last post was pretty much aimed at you