Sub 3:00 FLM 2006

Comments

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Sorry read precious for pressure:o)
  • Options
    Gold RushGold Rush ✭✭✭
    Hi Hilly,
    I've done the new forest half a couple of years ago It's a lovely course but it sure is undulating. I managed it around 1.27. I would say that it would probably add a good 2-3 mins on a p.b. I know the marathon course used to be run around the half, so I would recommend a bit of hill work.

I'm in the same boat as you in the fact that I prefer the longer distances, can you believe that I have still not raced a 5k, also my 10k time is fairly slow (38.30 hillyish course) But the main goal is the sub 3hr marathon so It's on with the training. Hoping for a mid 70 week this week
    I'd forgotten how time consuming some of these schedules are.

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hi GR, I've started to incorporate Portland hill (1 mile of 1:4 approx) in my long runs and other hills of shorter sharper inclines. I've also been doing off road runs, so am hoping that will be enough.

I only started doing 5k's last year for speed work and have yet to target one as a proper race. Your 10k pb is much faster than mine-40:40, although I should really be able to run 38-39 mins. One day it'll happen!

Are you training for an autumn marathon?
  • Options
    Gold RushGold Rush ✭✭✭
    Hi Hilly,
    Yes the plan is sub 3hr at cardiff. Have you got any tips as I know you have run cardiff before. Is it as flat as they say or are there a few undulations?
  • Options
    GOLD RUSH

Ran Cardiff last year 3.06, and it is comfortably flatter than London. Biggest hill I can remember was the bridge over the River Taff at halfway.

I'll be running it again this year, so I'll probably see you there together with about another half dozen from this page.
  • Options
    Gold RushGold Rush ✭✭✭
    Hi D.N

How's the training going this year? do you feel in better shape. I think having run the course before definitely helps at least you know what to expect, however saying that any marathon is going to hurt.

I'm just hoping I can stay injury free and get a decent 18 weeks behind me and then as they say It's all on the day.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    It is as flat as DN says. The only thing I found a bit irratating was catching up to the tail enders of the half marathon where some were running 3 abreast on the park paths so I had to run onto grass and negoiate around them. But it was only a minor irratation:o)

• Options
    GOLD RUSH

No injuries, which is the main thing. On flat tarmac reckon I'm about 5-6 secs per mile faster than I was last year.

Never dropped below 50mpw since the Vienna marathon so very optimistic that if the weather is benign and form holds I should come very close to 3hours at Cardiff. I've even got a pacemaker running with me, as his girlfriend (3.10 London)is trying for a sub 3 as well.

My 3.06 last year was done on a cool breezy day which is my sort of weather, but I only decided to run it about five weeks before the race itself, so had done minimal prep, no long runs, and no more than 50mpw.

Should be up to my max 75mpw by early Sept, and just hope that nothing goes wrong
    before the day.

I've run 5 marathons now in the last 14 months, and Cardiff was certainly the fastest. If you are worrying don't, it is ideal for a PB, good water stations, and the there is even an extra carb station for this year.

Stay fit

DN

• Options
    Hey Goldie
    Because Cardiff is 2 laps even you will know what the course holds when it comes to the time that that knowledge is precious. ie lap 2, when you are convincing yourself that it really isn't that far now, and that you've just got to hold the pace for a short distance.

Enjoy
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I have to say I love races with laps for the very reason that you know what's to come on the second lap. Cardiff is my favourite marathon, but I have to experience some more or I might fall into the trap of only running flat marathons!
  • Options
    nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭
    just checking in,

"marathon news" arrived today, so it's time to get the application in.....i had ear surgeory last monday and have been dizzy with lack of balance. i'm seeing the surgeon tommorrow. i hope he gives me the all clear to start running.

3:03 20".....sub 3 is the target......base building to november. the initial aim is to get back to 60mpw

• Options
    N2 good luck. I'm aiming to at be least parallel. I can only ever dream of being "para Lel"
  • Options
    Good to see this thread is still ticking along, and there's plenty of good training going on. I'm not getting in as much running as I'd like, circumstances and the heat of summer are getting in the way, but doing a decent 40 - 45 miles per week plus a swim and a bike session typically.

Milton Keynes Half on Sunday - anyone else going to be there? I'm hoping to take a large chunk off my PB (1:23:06), sub 1:20 with a decent helping of luck?
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hi Venom, good luck at MK. Is it a pb potential course?

I'm doing Gloucester half, which I only decided to do yesterday. It just fitted in with my trip to S.Wales, so thought why not. I'm not sure of the course, but I've read it's undulating. I'm not bothered as I'll use it as a good training run.
  • Options
    Cheers Hilly. It's meant to be pretty flat, so hopefully lots of potential. I think the weather could be more of a problem - hope it stays cool!

Good luck at Gloucester!
  • Options
    Take your climbing boots, flat it ain't. Think undulating and then the surprises will be pleasant.

Do they take entries on the day? I wonder, should I?
  • Options
    Blisters, you gave me a shock there, then I realised you were replying to Hilly. Erm, you were replying to Hilly, weren't you???
  • Options
    Yes, unless the M K route takes you over their dome and down their bowl!
  • Options
    If I'm doing a half tomorrow, and I want to run sub 3 in April, I suppose I had better try for sub 1:30, hadn't I?

200 posts on the thread - this one's a bit slack. STOP LURKING YOU LOT.
  • Options
    blisters,

you should really go for 1:28, that's a more realistic mara split.
  • Options
    If I was being serious I ought to be trying to get it down to 1:23.

Anyway, there's no race for me today. As I type the gun has already gone off. Mgt rescinded permission.
  • Options
    Just been out for a 21.5 miler - first time I can recall this year when it's rained during a long run. Something seems to be going right - I managed 4 x half mile reps in the last few miles and managed to keep them all under 2:45.

I wonder if it's worth drinking beer all day / eating bbq'd rubbish the day before my next marathon...

Blisters, I thought that if you were going for a 3 hour marathon, you'd only have to do a HM race in 1hr 35 - in a marathon you get a rolling start for the second half so it's bound to be quicker;)

In my Berlin build-up I'm not going to have a chance for a HM due to a couple of triathlons getting in the way. I'm doing a 10km next week, hoping for something under 37mins which shouldn't be too big a task seeing I've done a 28:40 5 miler in the same park - very flat & quick.
  • Options
    Just back from MK Half, a far-tougher-than-expected course (lots and lots of little undulations that really add up, very twisty, parts very slippy underfoot, and very windy). So didn't get anywhere near sub 80, actually managed 1:21:46. Still a PB (by 80 seconds), but that's all I can get today.

Next race is Garden City 10 in 4 weeks, really want to break the hour mark there. Gained no encouragement for that from today, but we shall see.

Feeling very tired now, so off to the pub for dinner :-)
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    Nice one venom. And JEJ - there's no doubt about it - I always have a good race after beers and barbecues.

Sent in my GFA application today. Plan is to train for London to Brighton, then an easy October/November (with maybe a 10K) before picking it up again for this.

Gave up on Sunday's long run after 15 miles though as the legs were just empty after some longer-than-planned terrorist-enforced long runs home during the week.
  • Options
    Hello all - I may be tempting fate here but have sent off a GFA letter requesting an entry for FLM 2006. If accepted then I will try for another sub 3, again this depends on current injury healing properly, wife being happy about big training load being re-introduced into our lives and more importantly our 5 month son settling into a routine which will enable me to get out of the house and actually run - been so difficult so far! Fingers crossed that all of the above will turn out OK and that I will be able to participate in this thread.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hi Andre, you could always take baby for recovery runs in one of those run buggies at a nice easy pace. That would give mum some 'me time' too:o)
  • Options
    Hilly - I have thought about this, we have got a 3 wheeler pushchair / travel system thingy but it seems a little heavy for jogging, will have to give it a go again though!
  • Options
    Andre - have you not considered filling it with lead and doing some hill work ;)
  • Options
    JEJ - interesting idea! Considering the rapid weight gain of my son I don't think lead will be necessary!!
  • Options
    or the hills.......