Options

Amsterdam - Marathon, Half n 10K

Comments

• Options
    Hope you survived WP! I found this site if you would consider a waist coat or t-shirt instead!!!
    http://www.welsh-crafts.co.uk/index.html

This site has a tank vest but no large logo - http://www.wdemb.co.uk/summer.htm

Guess the alternative would be to find one of those design your own t-shirt places and see if they can put a flag on a white vest?
  • Options
    May week 2 training commence. Have already got a tempo 4 under my belt this a.m and after work (in this bloomin heat) I do this weeks long run 10m :-). At least the week can only get easier from tomorrow :-)

Has anyone else started training yet?
  • Options
    Went hill running Saturday and Sunday on Stiperstones and Devils Chair, Shropshire. It may sound mad in the heat but once up the top there was great cooling beeze and fanatstic veiws - see website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/shropshire/panoramic/devils_chair/index.shtml

But hope not to have to many inclines inthe Amsterdam marathon.

Training is going ok, just need to shed a few excess pounds.
  • Options
    Halo - great place to run. One of my regular running routes. Up from the Stiperstones pub, along the top to the chair, clamber up on sheer adrenaline and then wonder how you're going to get down again(!), follow all the way to Snailbeach and further if you want a longer run. Then back to the pub:-)
  • Options
    Poppy - I will do best to find vest with Dragon on!
    I have found perfect fancy dress for Amsterdam - except i may get propositioned en route - he he!! Chance would be fine thing!!
  • Options
    Poppy - found website doing Welsh kit!! Only thing is the Welsh vest probably isn't that recognisable to people other than Welsh - sorry if that sounds patronising itisn't meant to. You might be better off getting a small flag and pinning ot back of normal vest.
    www.viga.co.uk/main.html
  • Options
    BEANIES - just finally got round to checking up on the accommodation situation, and they won't accept bookings for less than 3 nights at the weekend :-(

ShropsS is going to have a go tonight at finding somewhere else.

Has anyone else managed to find anywhere for about £30pppn for less than 3 nights?
  • Options
    R we sorted now though after that e-mail?
  • Options
    RJKRJK ✭✭✭
    Just throwing my hat into the ring again. This was my first ever marathon last year; this year will be my second!

Marathon:-

Prue
    Running caz
    Juicer
    Des
    Mudlark
    Slowcoach Bll
    Halo
    Nibbs
    notpete
    DG
    sueW
    Sad Runner
    RSG
    RJK (aim : 4:30)

Half:-

HS and crew
    Tequila
    Mr T
    ShropsSaddler
    Singing Angel
    Welsh Poppy
  • Options
    I'm in. I've registered for the race, booked the flights, booked the hotel. Now I'm sure there is one other thing I've got to do....

I know, TRAINING!

Damn

Prue
    Running caz
    Juicer
    Des
    Mudlark
    Slowcoach Bll
    Halo
    Nibbs
    notpete
    DG
    sueW
    Sad Runner
    RSG
    Charlie Chaplin

HS and crew
    Tequila
    Mr T
    ShropsSaddler
    Singing Angel
    Welsh Poppy
  • Options
    Welcome Charlie.

Am wondering at what length runs I should be carrying something to drink? I am a plodder - did 8 m 10 min run/1 walking tonight in just under 88 mins. Wasn't the weather great? I drink normally about 3 litres of water a day so I am well hydrated. I didn't take a drink with me, and I don't feel dehydrated but is there a good rule of thumb?
  • Options
    Oh and welcome to RJK too. Hey Tequila want to tell us what the costume is?
  • Options
    RJKRJK ✭✭✭
    Hi RSG. I tend to have something to drink if I'm going to be running more than an hour; first drink after about 45 mins.
  • Options
    Hi everyone:

I did this one last year and had a great time.

I have just persuaded our group from Belfast, London and the Netherlands to return for a great weekend's craic.

Have done 2 marathons since (4 in total), and despite good training have failed to beat my Amsterdam 2004 PB of 3:23:06.

However, with a bit of luck and continued good training will hope for 3:15 this year.

Enjoy training - approx 16 weeks to go !!
  • Options
    PruePrue ✭✭✭
    Well have managed the 1st week of the training prog...
    .......only another 15 to go :-)
  • Options
    RSG - cloggs of course!!!
  • Options
    Me too

Prue
    Running caz
    Juicer
    Des
    Mudlark
    Slowcoach Bll
    Halo
    Nibbs
    notpete
    DG
    sueW
    Sad Runner
    RSG
    Charlie Chaplin

HS and crew
    Tequila
    Mr T
    ShropsSaddler
    Singing Angel
    Welsh Poppy
    LynneW
  • Options
    Well done Prue . For some bizzare reason I am halfway through my Third week and find myself soooooooo looking forward to Fridays ( rest day )
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    I am in week 1 of training for this half for some bizzare reason I am doing more miles and more healthier than when training for my marathons??

T.

Clogs in Amsterdam surely not;-)

Lynne

Not seen you in ages how is training?
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Hi WP - training is pants. A winter of niggly injuries has meant low mileage (around 25 per week to keep up basic fitness). I feel old and slow. Still - I have a cunning plan ! -

- steadily build up the mileage, don't overwork, eat healthily, cut back on the booze and target some autumn halfmarathons. Easy, innit?

Glad to hear you are feeling sprightly after last year's struggles.
  • Options
    Tequila - in Japan, there is actually a marathon where they race in the typical Japanese shoes - here is a pic of what they look like (the ones that have heels)http://www.japanesekimono.com/geta.htm Can you imagine it?

Doing okay. Entering week 9 of my schedule. Tonight I did 90 mins (run 10 walk 1) and am going to enter the MK half marathon. Still pretty slow but I have to remember my "newness" to this.

Oh, and I am the proud owner of two calf supports which are making the world of difference.
  • Options
    Just found this thread

I've booked flights- travelling out Thursday and returning Tuesday from EMA- and hotel

I did my first marathon in Paris in April and in a surge of enthusiasm decided to go for an autumn marathon as well, despite running slower than expected (4.55). The thing is, I've been struggling with various injuries since so I haven't made a definate decision to do the full or half yet, so I'll leave myself off the list for the moment. I'll see what the next few weeks brings.

As for warm up races, there is a 30K in Belper in late August. Don't know what it is like though.
  • Options
    Nigel - where's Belper? Late August sounds good, though HOT!! Good training though :-)

Week 3 almost completed and am actually going to do a SPEED SESSION today. Doesn't sound too bad (1M jog, 4x1M 7min/M with 400m recoveries, 1M jog). Shall hit the treadmill for that one (1st time in at least 6 months). Actually, I'm quite looking forward to it, the jogging bits that is ;-)
  • Options
    Just past Derby Caz :-)
    Should imagain it wont be a bowling green course though .
  • Options
    Would be scenic though, in the Peak D. I might try and look it up. Amsterdam would probably seem like a piece of [hash] cake after that!!!
  • Options
    Belper Rugby Rover 30k is on 21st August.

I'll be on me hols then. :-) :-(

Wonder how you do that linking to an event thing that everyone else seems to know how to do?

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/viewevent.asp?sp=&v=2&EN=27768
  • Options
    Juicer - thanks for the research :-)

Nibbs - day after we get back from hols. Reckon we could manage it!?!?!
  • Options
    After two weeks of mid marathon training with no alcohol at all I'd be chomping at the bit !!
  • Options
    I found that running a race of 30K was a great confidence booster for a first time marathoner. I did the Stamford 30K in February and once I had done that, I knew I could get round in Paris
  • Options
    Sounds like there is lots of serious training going on on here - i've just completed the 1st week of mine ending in a 13 miler today - only thing is I'm only following a 12 week schedule as I'm doing the New Forest mara 4 weeks before this one then hopefully witha couple of weeks rest and some light training I'll be fighting fit for this one -

RSG - yave you sent off your entry for the MK half - was going to do that one will have to check when the closing date is?