Options

Amsterdam - Marathon, Half n 10K

Comments

• Options
    Hope you feel better soon Caz. Are you still running? If not, what kinds of exercises are you doing?

I have 'resorted' to the Nurofen and I hate pain-killers but I really want to get back out there. Hoping to go tomorrow at least for a slow 4 miles.
  • Options
    Am still running. Isn't bad enough to stop me at the mo. It comes and goes, and it seems quite pace dependant (slow runs aggrivate it more). It happened last year when Dublin training. I started taking Cod Liver Oil in a desperate hope and it did ease (although may have been coincidence!). Have bought some though today in a futile desperate hope it will make everything ok :-)
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Here's that list again:-

Marathon:-

Prue
    Running caz
    Juicer
    Des
    Mudlark
    Slowcoach Bll
    Halo
    Nibbs
    notpete
    DG
    sueW

Half:-

HS and crew
    Tequila
    Mr T
    ShropsSaddler
    Singing Angel
    Welsh Poppy-who has finally given and booked flights and hotel!!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Added my name

Prue
    Running caz
    Juicer
    Des
    Mudlark
    Slowcoach Bll
    Halo
    Nibbs
    notpete
    DG
    sueW
    Sad Runner

HS and crew
    Tequila
    Mr T
    ShropsSaddler
    Singing Angel
    Welsh Poppy

• Options
    Hoping it keeps working for you too Caz. Anyone else want to share their remedies? Have added my name to the list - is this a bunch of you that know each other in real life? Or that and more? Well I guess now it is more because I am on there too!

Prue
    Running caz
    Juicer
    Des
    Mudlark
    Slowcoach Bll
    Halo
    Nibbs
    notpete
    DG
    sueW
    Sad Runner
    RSG

HS and crew
    Tequila
    Mr T
    ShropsSaddler
    Singing Angel
    Welsh Poppy
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    RSG

I know no one in real life except Tequila and Mr T but I am sure we will get to know everyone;-)

It is bad to run whilst taking pain killers it masks the pain and you have no idea what damage you will do to your body.

I have bad shin pain on one leg along the bone right in middle of leg not sure why or what it is .
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    18th September - Stretton Skyline. 18 miles across hills, may count as a fell race. Probably harder than the marathon itself!!
  • Options
    Poppy - appreciate the concern. I didn't run at all from Saturday until yesterday (when I took my last Nurofen). I did a slow 4 miles (48 mins) today (10ish mins run, 1 min walk). Pain is still there but not too bad. Next Saturday I will buy a compression bandage and see if that helps.

How was everyone else's weekend runs?
  • Options
    Did race last night (knee pain) and race this a.m (NO knee pain)?? Just got to take each day as it comes. Cod Liver Oil now being taken so fingers crossed :-)

RSG - Some of us on that list run and train together. Juicer, Prue, Des, Nibbs, SS, mudlark and I all know each other.

Juicer - Defo NOT :-) Am about to study my training programme after you have inspired me today :-)
  • Options
    RSG
    I deny all knowledge of em all
  • Options
    Juicer, nice try at getting RC to do it:-)Hope you're still planning it though -it is a cracking run and it will be excellent timing for a test long run before Amsterdam.

Talked to a couple of Skyline vets after last year's race and they reckoned, take your time for the Skyline, knock 10 minutes off and that's your marathon time!

RC - Oh go on, it'll be great fun and a decent long run. There are a few hills but, with one exception, they're runnable.
  • Options
    SS - not on your nelly!! ;-)

nibbs - make up your mind!! I was a boiling bunnies not so long ago ;-)
  • Options
    Nibbs - well seeing as how someone on this thread STILL hasn't bothered to introduce us, we DON'T know each other, do we?!?
  • Options
    SS
    you should recognise me from photo ....................A fine example of an athlete if ever
  • Options
    Oh right, that's you! I've seen you at races :-)
  • Options
    For anyone that still cares about these things ..

There was a stall for Amsterdam at the expo for the Stockholm marathon last weekend, so I enquired about missing credit card payments; rest assured your cc numbers have been safely harvested and will be debited "mid June", according to staff. If I'd have grown into the bright, sparky creature my mother always hoped I'd become, I'd also have asked if and when anything on paper might be delivered. Alas, I haven't so I didn't.

As for this talk about 20 mile warm up races .. isn't that a bit far? I was looking at the Wolverhampton half (it's local for me) but nothing much further race-wise til the marathon itself. A mistake?
  • Options
    A race of 20-ish miles seems to be accepted as a good preparation for the marathon notpete. In the run-up to London, there's a very popular 20 mile Round-The-Lakes at Rhayader and also a 20-miler around Milford which most people seem to think sets them up nicely for the big day. Not sure that there are any equivalents in August/September.
  • Options
    SS: Rightio, I'm starting to see how it could be good preparation. If nothing else, I'd hope a warm up race longer than a half might help a little with my pacing. I finished Stockholm (my first marathon) in 3:28 (feeling v pleased with self), but split times of 1:48/1:40 seem a little far from ideal. I'd love to run 3:15 in Amsterdam, but I think I need to get the hang of "feeling" how fast I'm running to have a chance. No idea how, mind.

Couldn't find any longish races in August/September either; I thought about maybe adding a few miles before/after a half, but I can't help feeling I'd be missing out on the chance of a PB if I did so.
  • Options
    Tough to do as well notpete. If you try and do them before, you've got to get your timing spot on to get to the start line. If you try and do them after, do you really want to carry on running once you've finished a race!
    As for your split times, they were superb! Negative splits in a marathon - well done! If you want to hit 3.15, guess you've got to be looking at, perhaps 1.38/1.37, something like that?
    Where are you based notpete? There is an 18 mile fell race in Shropshire in mid-September - won't help much with your timing but would get you used to the endurance factor.
  • Options
    RC - do you take glucosamine for your knee at all? Was reading a VERY interesting article whilst waiting to see my osteopath today. A 3 year study has "proved" that it does have positive effect,particularly on degenerative conditions. Also "proved" that, over a month, glucosamine had same or better effect on knee pain than ibuprofen!!
  • Options
    Kidderminster, although my parents live in Shropshire (Shifnal), which could be more convenient. Either way, it's fairly local. Fell race sounds neat, too; sign me up :)
  • Options
    Notpete - there is a 20 mile in Dunstable in September. Details are on the Events site.

We receive information in writing at the beginning of October (according to the site).

Am feeling very very unmotivated to get out there today. Anyone got a whip?
  • Options
    notpete, try this link, see September 18;

www.telfordrunning.co.uk/events/fell2005.htm

If you want to know route details, feel free to e-mail me off-thread
  • Options
    ss- not tried that. I know very little about these things, is it easy to get?
  • Options
    Readily available at Tescos etc. Need the Glucosamine & Chondroitin tablets. Think they're 500mg Gluc & 400mg Chon or something like that. Not cheap mind - £9.99 for a month's supply I think. But they DO make a difference. I know when I've been taking them and when I haven't.
  • Options
    Caz - you can get it really cheap from ZipVit. I've got the catalogue. I'll bring it round.
  • Options
    Need to have the right doses though. From memory, this test was done with 1500mg a day of glucosamine - that's 3x what I take. Don't think tests have been done on less but I'll keep believing!
  • Options
    Cheers for info SS

Juicer - perhaps that's what we could do on Sat night whilst drinking, eating and conversing :-)
  • Options
    Ha, ha, yes. Nerds in full flow. Hours discussing vitamins and supplements - ooh i can't wait!!

D'ya think we might just find some other things to talk about, at all?
  • Options
    Did you ever have any confirmation back about accommodation?