Options

Sub 3:15 FLM 2006

Comments

• Options
    many thanks for the scheduals Milligan. Arrived this morning. I haven't had a chance to read them yet. Whose schedual are they.

I've just got back from my long run, 2 hours and 7 mins @ 127 Ave HR. 3 minutes of stretching during the run so i guese that the HR would be the same as yours Milligan ........... we must be doing something right.

Jen, I have a terreble time fitting training in with life. I just try and get up early where i can and get it done before the family wakes. Yes, it does mean getting up at 4 some mornings.
  • Options
    Jaysus...4am?! I am soooo not a morning person. But I have resolved to get up before work to run at least once a week (on the one day I can't run in the evening due to my evening class) but there's more chance of hell freezing over than me being able to run more than 4 miles before work.

The other problem I have with morning running (apart from being asleep) is that I physically can't run on an empty stomach, but have to leave at least 3 hours between eating anything and running. Argh.

How do the rest of you manage it, especially now that we're all looking at (presumably) higher mileage and there's still only 24 hours in the day?
  • Options
    Jen, I never run early morning but am lucky enough to be able to get 5 miles in at lunchtime, for marathon training though I need to rely on support of Mrs NT to cover for extra evenings as well, I also intend to forego some club nights (Weds) this time in favour of longer midweek run.

I'm going to follow P & D, will read up on it during my week away next week but my basic framework last year:

Sun - Long run
    Mon - Recovery run
    Tue - Interval/tempo + recovery (double)
    Wed - Weights/cross train + mid long run
    Thu - Easy run
    Fri - Easy run + intervals (double)
    Sat - Rest
  • Options
    Wow

My three/stretch to four times a week looks positively slothful.

My maximum weekly mileage last year was 40, and then only twice.
  • Options
    Hi All

PM. I was going to suggest I join you for a cpouple of runs but no way at 4am! Thats dedication beyond me.

I haven't seen these schedules but,

Typical week; Weights and stretches every morning app. 15/20mins (strengthening?)

Mon 7-8M trail
    Tues 12-15M Road, Easy pace 8mM
    Wed 6-8M Tempo 6.5mM
    Thurs Club. Hills/Fartlek 5-7M
    Fri 5M Easy
    Sat 8-10M Pace 7/7.5mM
    Sun Up to 12M Easy

I usually have a rest day which will be Friday or Sunday depends on how I feel. Typical weekly distance 45/55+

I'll be joining PM for XC in November and will try to build more speed into some of the shorter runs before then. Increase the longer runs out to 20/22M Dec/Jan/Feb with some Half Marathons Feb/Mar target time 1h.25/30m. Max weekly mileage 65/70.(I used to train very high mileage years ago 110/125M per week)

I run at any time of day morning or evening before breakfast if morning.

Happy to hear any suggestions or comments.

Great week end sailing dinghy's on the east coast but Quads really stiff from hiking out! Funny how different sports catch you out.

Run well!

• Options
    Hi all. Have spent the day largely in bed trying to stave off complete surrender to the lurgie. Have been chewing raw garlic and swallowing Vit C/Zinc pills the size ( I kid you not) of suppositories. I'm pretty sure this has come on because I've been training hard and have become a bit immunosuppressed. It really is a fine line between goimg well in training and succumbing to infection which sets you back by several weeks. I plan to keep my training at low intensity this week but to keep the volume at he expected 33 miles. I'll have to wait and see though and can afford to be flexible right now so as to not jeopardise my long term goal
    I agree entirely with PM that the surest ways of getting in the longish midweek runs is to get up early. I find that even with the best of intentions by the time I've done a day's work that it's all too easy to feel defeated at the thought of 12 - 14 miles.
    Maybe you could just have a couple of gels in the morning instead of a full breakfast before you run Jennie - you'd get the available carbs but not the bulk to digest
    I also agree with NT that you have to be flexible in regard to club stuff and not get stuck in the mid week flogging if instead you really need to be getting in some steady miles. That could be a good way of getting it done Jen - find a like minded soul and meet up early on club night and go for a medium long run in company.
  • Options
    david, I see there's a bit on the Chiltern website message board about marathon training.
    I do tend to do my long runs early, 6/7ish on a Sunday morning or on a Monday evening. It is an exeption rather than the rule that I'll get out of bed at 4 to hit the road at 4.30 for a 3 hour run.
    I might try and do the round the town this Thurs.

looking forward to meeting you at the next Chiltern league in Nov. I see we're sitting pretty in 3rd place above prestigious clubs like Windsor Slough and Eton, Luton, Harrow and even bedford AC.
    Bring em on!
  • Options
    Another thought about mid-week long runs - if you are a club member - is to run for 5 or so miles first, then join an hour long club run. This gets a decent mileage in with plenty of company for the nasty bits.

Night all.
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions all. I will try to start doing a run a week before work, slurping some gels before I hit the road (good idea - why didn't I think of that?!) but as I start my new job at 8:30 and it takes 45 mins to get there I can't see them being very long runs. I just know that I can't get up too much before 6 and still stay awake for the rest of the day. But if you can all do it I'll make the effort too.

And I have thought about finding a training partner. I had one last year but in the year I was away he has sped up to a 3:06 marathon so now I can't see myself keeping up! But I'll suggest meeting up with him after work once a week and doing a medium long run, if he doesn't mind slowing down a tad!
  • Options
    Good for age entry form posted off today - sub 3:15 is the target (hopefully sub 3:10) - much will depend on staying injury and lurgy free over the next six months. This will be my fifth London Marathon - I may not be as fast as I once was but I'm looking forward to this one as much as the first.
  • Options
    Hi Jen if you're pushed for time maybe go for quality not quantity. You don't have to get caught up in training programmes that recommend very high mileage (+50miles/week). Find a programme that works for you (or design your own). It may be that a long mid week run doesn't fit in with the rest of your life so maybe cut the miles but add a few 10minute bursts at a higher tempo. Or do 4miles in the morning and make up the difference in the evening.

I have found that as long as I do one long run a week (14-20miles) I am ready both physically and mentally for the race. The other miles are made up of quality speed work, tempo runs and the odd easy run of no more than 6-7miles. It's your race, your job and your life so don't be tempted to do everything the way somebody else has.
  • Options
    Also very good comments Jess. The only day I can't run after work is a wednesday so I'll try running before instead, and see how I get on with that. If I feel I'm going nowhere in training I might introduce another one. I've always got by running 4 to 5 times a week but wanted to really step it up this year to go for the 3:15 or as close as possible, so I thought I might have to increase milegae and the only way for me to do that would be to run before work as well. But we'll see - baby steps!
  • Options
    Except on weekends morning running isn't for me (I'm not a morning person!) - my regime will be centred around running part of the way home from work 3 evenings a week - I work in London E1 and live in NW Kent - depending on which station I park at in the mornings I'll have a 9, 12, 16 or 23 mile run back in the evening. I find 3 weekday runs plus two at the weeekend will get me up to 50 to 60 miles per week - as the months wear on and as the longer runs get pushed out more I'm hoping to peak in March with a couple of weeks at 70 to 80 mpw (have found that to be sufficient in the past).
  • Options
    Hi All, very sound comments Jess, we're all different and its so important to do what suits you, providing your building toward the goal. If it ain't working stop doing it and try something else. Thin line between building and breaking down!

However one final point about morning runs, out of necessity I run at all times of the day, so don't have a problem (mental of otherwise)with a race start at any time of day.

Graham, like the idea of running home. I used to drive into Soho for 7am beating the traffic, then run Hyde or Regents Park, shower and breakfast before the office opened. Few strange looks running through Berwick St at 7am though.

PM. I'll try and catch you tonight as, sods law, I can't make Thursday this week.

Run well, run long.
  • Options
    Hi all,

I'm back on the thread after a couple of hectic months at work !

Am training and getting back top my best (the past 18 months have been busy workwise, so didn't do as much training as I wanted) so looking forward to a good training and hopefully breaking that sub 3-15 barrier :)

As always, I'm also looking forward to the banter on this thread !!

Bye for now
  • Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Hi all, I'm aiming for sub 3.15 too - current PB is an irritating 3.15:15 so I "only" need to improve a little bit and be mentally stronger over the last few miles). I'll be trying to do this on a lowish 20-25mpw so it needs to be good quality training. Looking forward to hearing about other people's plans.
  • Options
    Poacher
    Do you only run one morning per week?

That could be a great plan!
  • Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Good point - one 20 miler once a week! Hmmm.

I'm actually having a couple of weeks off after doing the Chicago mara so that will have to wait.
  • Options
    Hi all

Have taken the first step to a more dedicated schedule with my first ever recovery run yesterday - 45 minutes very easy after a hard track session the night before. I alsways thought that a recovery rest would be more useful than a recovery run.

I must say it was one of the most uncomfortable runs ever. A strange pace, tingly legs, rain, and all of a sudden the Mall sees a long, long way away.

Ah well.

Poacher - you and me both mate - perfectly achievable, although this year I'll be trying to get to 30-35 miles, perhaps up to 40 once the long runs get longer.

Wih two young kids I am often awake about 6am, as this morning, and think why don't I go running. Answer - cos I really cant be bothered! Need motivation methinks.

See you all.
  • Options
    I set mileage targets for each week, and this motivates me out of the door. Once you start doing it daily it is actually easier, because you slot into a routine.
  • Options
    I use hours rather than milage, each week I have a time on feet target.
  • Options
    Lo all. Did a Tuesday evening run of about 9 miles in 1:17 at av HR of 140bpm. This initial base building stuff is a bit daunting but also fun as there's no pressure for big efforts - just put in the steady miles.
    Supposed to do about 10 this evening but still have a touch of a cold so settled for a steady 5 (which Pete Pfitzinger says ought to be a recovery 5 - but I got bored)Hopefully I'll be able to do a gentle 10 tomorrow after work. Like pzzaman I'm also really guaging time on my feet rather than strict measurement of distance covered. I reckon if I can accumulate enough time each week in the right heart rate zones,that I'll get fitter and faster over time
  • Options
    I think that the base fitness is a very good starting point. But it's not an end point. I believe that you've got to put the next level of building blocks on top of the foundation in order to get the speed. Training sessions down the track with the club, longer intervals, and short races 5k to 10 miles, all have their place in the programme.

I'm re-assessing mine.

I don't think I did enough 10k & HM racing, nor were my 21 milers pushed hard enough.

• Options
    Hi all.

Welcome to Friday.

Took my own advice and ran an easy half hour before club run last night. Unfortunately then picked group running at 7.45 which in hindsight was a little quick for my first 10+ miler for a long time. But it was easier to have people to talk to for the last few miles - I might do it every couple of weeks, and the other club runs go a bit quicker.

It's hammering down here now - definitely a rest day!! (and pub later)

Have a good day all.
  • Options
    afternoon all

motivation seems to be at a all time low, I have no energy and cant be bothered.

I have only managed a couple of runs a week since the GNR although I did a 5k race on wednesday with a 10 second PB on last year of 20:40.

Todays treadmill interval session was halved as I only managed 28 mins which included 1 two mile warm up :(

must force myself out !!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Could be that you just need a bit of a break - I ignored feeling tired and demotivated and have spent two weeks fighting a cold. Still, it's forced me to have a break, and now I'm really looking forward to running again.
  • Options
    I read the last few entries with interest. I too am struggling this week with a minor cold and, it seems, a real sense of fatigue. I think there's a group uf us here who are either coming off the back of a hard programme and goal race or, like me, who have started back to running a few months ago and have been training quite hard and consistently - both groups are ill equiped to fight off the winter bugs and the boredom/pressure of an ambitious winter training programme.
    I did 1hr 28 mins this evening in the lashing rain and for the first 3 miles felt like I was running through the shallow end of a swimming pool.
    For me I'm sure that I need to make sure I pay more particular attention to the basics of adequate rest and proper nutrition and hydration as I begin to train hard while holding down a busy job all winter. I need to carefully plan my meals and snacks and get myself off to bed in good time.
  • Options
    To try and combat lack of motivation and overtraining, which are two things I have suffered from in the past, I plan my training so that I do 3 hard weeks followed by an easy week. In the easy weeks mileage comes down and intensity decreases. So I'll maybe do 3x35-50 mile weeks followed by a 20-25mile week. I still run but there's no pressure and no tough tempo or speed sessions.

By the end of the easy week I find I'm really up for going hard again. Even when I'm feeling great in training and don't want to cut the miles I still take these easy weeks because without them I know I'll overdo it.

Great points re proper nutrition, hydration and sleep. It's just a shame that bad food tastes so yummy and late nights out are such good fun! It's hard to stay focussed all the time. I think reading everyone's comments on here is going to be a big boost for my motivation for London!

• Options
    Quite right everyone. And remember the importance of rest days from running too - I always take 2 a week (monday and friday) and sometimes more if I've got niggles, sniffles, or have had a hellish work day. No matter how much I increase the mileage I always take those 2 rest days, and sometimes if I'm going for a long run on sundays (i.e. 18 miles or more) I'll take saturday off too so I've got fresh legs for the following day.

It is hard to keep the motivation up these days though, when every time you go out running it seems to be dark and drizzly...
  • Options
    Little Jess. Have you been reading some advice book? That's real text book theory put into practice.

Jen M. Much debate on the Daily Training Thread regards the perceived benefit of a rest day. Partly catalysed by Barnsleyrunner (Mara 2:42) just reporting that his last full day of no running was over a year ago. My PB was 28 days, but I'm no slave to the goal. You don't need more than 1 per week.

Sniffles: no excuse, but a dose of 'flu is.
    Hellish day: that's surely the best excuse to go for a run!
    Tired?: Ditto.
    Niggles: You'll get over them. But that's not the same as injuries.
    18 miler?: I know a forumite who took her times down from 3:28 to 3:14 to 3:06 by making sure that she did a second run if she had only done 18 miles in the morning.