Options

Sub 3:15 FLM 2006

Comments

• Options
    blisters - Good to hear the improvement is on its way, even if its slower than desired. At least its not holding you back too much.

Im hoping to be back up to 20+ miles in about 6 weeks.
  • Options
    Positive thoughts.

Not quite so positive actions, but positive thoughts.
  • Options
    OK I'm in so I'm up for the challenge. ;-)
  • Options
    Looks like im in, cheque cashed today!

Bring it on.
  • Options
    Like you say Swanny. Bring it on.

But not too quickly please.....
  • Options
    Amazing how welcome the flow of money out of the bank account can be!!

See you there. I'll be the worried looking one!!
  • Options
    Lo all. Great to hear you guys are in. That'll stir the juices of fear and steely committment in about equal parts I should say.
    1 hr 31 tonight on park grass. Av HR 137bpm. Felt very slow and quite achey despite 2 days off. Just have to keep plodding on and believe that Pete Pfitzinger knows what he's doing. Actually if you read Mike Grattan's hard training thread there's a lot of stuff from runners worried that big base training volume would make them slower and slower. Maybe that's what's happening here. It's supposed to wear off after a while and lead to a glorious blossoming of cardio fitness. Here's hoping.
  • Options
    I would like to add a little caveat in here. This is my personal feedback from a guy suffering from middle aged challenges.

There's lots of advice about building up the weekly and LSD mileages gradually. I would also add in that one/I need to build in an adequate recovery period from the big mileages. I've seen it in Hilly too.

Me 40-> 50 -> 60 ->70 mile weeks, but on the verge of injury, being managed with ibuprofen and physio.

Hilly 60 -> 70 -> 80 -> 90+ mile weeks ditto close to the edge of crumbling. And from what I can gather she has a weaker starting point.

The bigger volumes slowed us down initially, but introduced potential for better endurance. The missing key appeared to be the real step back period that allowed for the training to sink in. Some suggestions say one week in four.

Let me put this straight. Mike Gratton lifted me miraculously from 3:16 to 3:14 to 3:06 in 12 months. Hilly's performance was identical to mine. Since then we've both crumbled a bit, but given a good recovery taper she'll rip the pants off me. I've been a slacker.

Milligan. Mike Gratton has helped. Increasing mileage is an absolute key at this 6 month out time slot. No threat, no fear. Sure you'll seem to slow, but it will come around if your mileage increase is managed. After a month or two you (I) will need to let it all sink in and start to refocus on using the new baseline as the springboard to speed & speed endurance training. In the second phase I would try and get as many races as you can. All distances 3 to 20 miles.

In simple terms. Do what suits you. I'll do what suits me. I believe passionately in the value of the half marathon challenge at 4 weeks away from the target marathon. It gives you a realistic figue to work from as a predictor. Especially if you have other race times as a back up.

Oh pooh. Who's going out for a 20 miler this weekend?
  • Options
    WMSG - that's really reassuring to hear from someone who's actually gone through the process. I take heart from the fact that you state with certainty that at this stage a gradual loading up of the miles has brought you results in the past.
    Over how long did you go from 40 -50 -60-70?
    I do worry that I seem to be doing this stuff when lots of others with declared intentions to run a spring marthon are currently running one or two interval sessions per week.
    As you say everyone has to find out what works for them. What are your plans for next year?
  • Options
    Another one signing up for the 3-15 club. Did 3-17 in 1994 and really looking to beat that this time. The hard work starts tomorrow.
  • Options
    Milligan
    There are various training programmes readily and freely available on the web and in books. I'm sure that they have all been proven to work, but there are 100,000 practitioners and they are not all the same physiological make up as myself.

Last year my start point was a great one, as I started the new 6 month block straight off the back of a good marathon result. That's why some are able to get directly into the hard training.

The generally accepted theory is to build up a good stamina foundation, then later try and get some speed work into the regime. Personally I've got some reviewing to do from my own programme, because I am not as fit as I was in April.

Glugg. welcome aboard. That's a nice and early start to the programme.

I'm under self imposed orders to put my feet up.

• Options
    Nice steady start to the training, 15 miles in 2-11-28. Shame about the lousy weather.
  • Options
    I'm under self imposed orders to put my feet up.

SO why did I let myself get talked into running in the Birmingam League Cross Country next weekend?
  • Options
    I got rained on for a long time this morning and it was great! Not cold at all just refeshingly wet. Did 2 hrs at HR average of 137 bpm which I reckon is about 74 - 75 % of working HR. I guess it to be about 14 miles and it was quite hilly in places. Took me about 40 mins before I stopped feeeling as if I was running on lead filled bags. I'm going to take yr advice WMSG and take a step back week in the week ahead. Probably do a short run next Sunday - ? 10 miles and just one medium long run in the week instead of two.
    Anyone have any thought a bout the HUGE munchies I get after a long run ? I worry that it will just undo my attempt to get my weight down. Should I just listen to my appetite and expect it will even itself out or should I deliberately put a cap on my eating after a long run and just ride out a bit of hunger for a while?
  • Options
    EAT

It's your body's way of saying, erm, I NEED FUEL.

My problem is that I haven't actually been hungry for weeks.....
  • Options
    Move over a bit Blisters, room for another one on the injury couch I tore a a calf muscle and after about 4 miles of the Stickler thing. It didn't go pop so I slowed up and carried on. Hurts like f%*k now though.
    Luckily enough i bumped into my race waling coach the other day who sugested I get down the track once a week with him to do some winter training. My injury book says don't run for 3 weeks doesn't even mention race waling :0)
  • Options
    A bad day at the office yesterday - 5 hard cross country miles at Knowle Park in Sevenoaks - aim was to start off mid pack, see how everything felt and then press on and try and finish feeling strong. Never really got going though - felt as if I was running through treacle - achilles on rhs very sore this morning. Probably entirely the wrong type of running for me to be doing just now (but had to be there to support my Club). Back to long slow steady distance this week and hope the achilles settles down.
  • Options
    Hi All, +/-12M yesterday seemed as if at least 10 were uphill and or against the wind. Still it didn't rain. Bit stiff and achey this morning.

Graham, sorry to hear about you XC/achilles, I'm doing my first XC for about 20yrs this Saturday. Apart from don't any suggestions?

Blisters I look forward to comparing notes if you do the Birmingham XC.

PM, ouch! Really sorry, guess I'll not see you at RAF Halton or Thurs round the town then. Don't over do it with the walking and get well.

M, on the eating front. My Polar tells me I burn around 1100 KCals over 10 miles, normal daily intake circa 2500. I got really grumpy when my wife dished up a really nice baked fish and salad after a 20M ie about 4700kCals. Should have known from my experiences with Glycogen depletion/packing days, strange how you forget. Go for a carbs based refill. Pasta & salads works for me. You won't run on empty.

• Options
    Hi all, back from hols where I managed a measly 3 x 30 mins but feel nice and rested and ready for the challenges ahead.

Looking at other threads makes for grim reading though since I have not had my cheque cashed, maybe a 4th successive rejection beckons. Glad to to see we have a few confirmed entrants.

Sorry to hear of various injury woes, hope all make sppedy recoveries.

I have managed to 11 milers in last 3 days, different routes but 1:31 @ ave 66% WHR and 1:26 @ 68% WHR are encouraging but felt as though had I tried an extra mile would have bonked each time so will need to build up slowly and look at taking some water out.

Anyone following P & D 24 weeks schedule? Good news for you, it starts today!
  • Options
    sppedy = Speedy & two rather than to 11 milers! fingers still in holiday mode!
  • Options
    Looks like I didn't get a place, cheque hasn't been cashed.
  • Options
    Hello

I think I am in (cheque has cashed) so I will have a go at 3:15. Never run a marathon before, any advice?
  • Options
    W'sup,

Hope alls well.

LL. dont panic, you would still have time to get a charity place, and its not as hard as you think in raising the cash.

I did it for charity in 04 and it looks like I will be again in 06/ I have a guaranteed place running for Barnardos. (anyone else?).

TP2. Well done for getting in. What sort of running have you done up to now? Its worth starting with a few 10k's to get you going. A good target to aim for is about the 40 min mark. Then progress from there.

The rest of you guys sound like you are into the groove already. I havent picked up my momentum just yet.!

Be cool all.
    GWH
  • Options
    OUCH OUCH OUCH Pizza Man.

Do you know any physios?

I'm booked to see mine on Friday, but have realised that I can run on alternate days. Of course, she might have a different opinion. Never seen her using a book though!

You know what they say RICE:
    Revel In Chocolate Eating.
    Raspberry Ice Cream Enjoyment.

Or to fix the problem: Read a very large book and knit a jumper. Do one of those 5 minute rainy day projects that you always put off because you know that it would take 3 weeks.

Get well soon.

• Options
    Thanks for the reply GWH.

I have run sub-forty min 10kms before but my running year normally runs from May until Oct with a few 10Ks or 10M races in it.

I have never run above 50 miles for the week and I have never trained through winter.

My plan was 3-4 logish runs per week (between Nov and beginning of Jan ) about 35-40ish miles per week, and then take the milage up to 50 - 60 by the middle of March.

Not a great plan but I thought is sounded fairly realistic.

Any thoughts?
  • Options
    TP2 Speed work is good, but long range runs are vital. I aim to get 6 or 7 x 20 mile plus runs in, with the latter ones building up the pace too. I've always been a bit short of 10k and HM races in the build up, so may have to try a little harder to do these too.
  • Options
    ...... and the story behind the new picture is?
  • Options
    Hello Blisters,

I take it you have done this before then?

How have you got on time wise, and off the back of what training?

I think the number of 20+ mile runs looks about right.
  • Options
    An easy few miles for me at recovery pace last night (over Tower Bridge and then up and down the river - nice little circuit crossing back over Southwark and London Bridges) - lots of runners out - achilles feels more comfortable today but hamstrings are as tight as piano wires. Have a stack of work to do so tonight's planned longer run at the same or similar pace may end up being a repetition of last night.

TP2 - your 10K times certainly suggest that you're well capable of sub 3:15 - what is your best most recent 1/2M? If you're running a sub 1:23 1/2M in February/March 06 you could be looking towards sub 3:00?
  • Options
    Graham - The best timeed longer run that I've done was 62:57 for 10m.

Not got a time for anything after that. However there really was nothing left after that.

I think sub 3.00 is a step to far.

Your running route sounds good, a lot nicer than a bunch of wet Lancastrian hills, but then the grass is always greener...

I'll aim for that half-marathon time though, thanks for that, I'll book myself in to some race or other around then.