Options

Sub 3:15 FLM 2006

Comments

• Options
    That 3 weeks lay off should see the Achilles heal itself Swanny, keep up the stretching.

I had a good weeekend. Came eigth in a 5k race walking race, just beating a female Commonwealth games qualifier and then yesterday came 10th in a very hilly 9.5 k.

Building up the fitness nicley to launch into marathon training in Jan.
  • Options
    PM. We are a small select group on Thursdays 3 to 6 hardy folk turn up. The Wokingham half sounds a possibility and if as you say its flat would make a nice contrast to Watford!

Easy 5 miler today after a couple of tempo runs over the week end. Really miss the HR monitor!

Hope all those injuries heal, take it easy and build gently.
  • Options
    There's a few of us from the Tues group who are probably doing it. I've got a 7 seater and hopefully we'll fill it up.
    I wouldn't say that it's easier than Watford, just a lot flatter.
  • Options
    Glad to hear more positive news on the injury Swanny.

DL/PM can't believe you don't know each other when belonging to the same club! mind you I my club is quite small.

Guested in North Essex XC race 1 yesterday as it was very local and as a club we don't enter that league, preferring Mid Essex. Decided for a change to start at the back and progressively increase the intensity up to full pace over the last mile. Quite fast conditions but with a number of ditches, 2 big hills & lots of clambers up banks to break the rythm. Managed 35:11 so not a bad workout when taken with 4 miles warm up and 2 cool down nice and easy.

10 mile race at Tiptree next week aiming for a good time unsure of target yet but something under 69 mins would be nice.
  • Options
    we might well have come across each before, but if DL trains at the Thurs session and I train on Tuesdays we won't realy have had the chance to meet. In the fast to middle group on a tuesday there's about 20 of us and although I know most by face I don't know half by their name.

Hopefully we'll catch up soon, maybe at a Chiltern league meeting or another race. If not the 12th of Feb in my car might be the first chance we get to meet face to face.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I've carried my GFYA place over from last year (injured...). From my recent Bristol time (1:34), sub-3:15 is just on the cards if all goes well, so what the hell, I'll pretend I belong here! I downloaded the RW ultimate sub-3:15 during the Puma free-for-all - any comments on whether it is better than Bob Glover's (I have the Competitive Runner's Handbook)? Ta.
  • Options
    Hi guys
    I think that I ought to post here as a feedback and thanks for the moral support and advice.

I ran Cardiff Marathon on Sunday. My target was sub 3:00, but Pizza man will confirm that I would have been lucky to touch that. Anyway the plan was "high risk, high stakes, no pressure". My FLM06 place was bagged, so there was no reason not to go for it..................apart from the strained muscles, and therefore poor preparation in the lead up.

Race report version one: abbreviated.

Negatives
    It didn't work
    It wasn't my day.
    I wasn't fit enough to pull the cat out of the bag.
    The marathon sorts the sheep from the goats.
    No pb. Not even a GFA time. 3:18:34 give or take.

Positives.
    Although I carried the tail of injuries into the race, nothing snapped.
    Sure, every leg muscle from my cranium down is aching and stiff.
    I don't think that I pulled any muscles.
    We had some lovely meals out in Cardiff.

Halfway in 1:33 but working at it. Knew then that sub 3 had gone, that the pb (3:06) had also gone, and frankly I got bored. I couldn't muster 8m/m for the last 5 miles. There's always a next time.
  • Options
    Never mind Blisters. You'll live to fight another day, that's the main thing.
  • Options
    It's a damn fine time considering your lead in Blisters. You must be able to find some +s

Sun tan
    Nice long run

I did that at London, halfway in 1.33 full in 3.19.

What's the next goal?
  • Options
    Hello all -back from Egypt which was, let's face it, hot. Did manage a total of three treadmill sessions, which is better than nothing. Went to the track last night and ran really well o perhaps a rest hasn't hurt.

Swanny - get better soon - best time for an injury, 6 months before event!!

Blisters - good job I say - if you can run a marathon now, just think what you can do come April!

I have decided to concentrate on speed for now, and worry about stamina later. So long as I can run a decent half by Christmas then I have a plan.

And....I sent in my FLM application yesterday, so there's dedication for you!!
  • Options
    Hi All, managed about 14M Tuesday, easy paced, rest today and club night Thursday when should be a bit of speed/hills, oh joy. Sailing this week end hence a longer mid week run.

FBF,Iv'e planned mine the other way round endurance then speed. The former tends to deaden the old legs for me, not good for the lead into a race!

Blisters, well run any way, its tough on the mind to hold it together for 3.18! What was for dinner?

PM. Think you can count me in for Wokingham. Did I say, I can't make this weekends XC? (see above), I am planning to don the Chiltern vest for the Nov event. Hope to meet you then if not before.

To all those injured, get well soon.
  • Options
    evenin all,

good hard session last night DL. I don't know Chesham that well but we were running up some hill that leads to the colleges and school. I manged to loose the rest of the 3.15 ers and ended in between them and the chapionship bods, so feeling quite chuffed with myself.

FBF, carefull with the training. You can tell me shut up or ignore me as you please but ...............
    Training should be built on solid foundations. See it like a pyramid with speed at the top, tempo in the middle and endurance at the bottom. If you build too much speed before you have laid the foundations of endurance and then tempo it stands a good chance of coming tumbling down.
  • Options
    I wonder which element I co6ked up then?

Hmmm

Endurance? 50-60-peak70-down again. Maybe.
    Endurance? 6x 20 milers, maybe not fast enough - all done solo.
    Tempo? Maybe.........
    Speed? weekly track sessions, and short races. OK there.

Tempo. An under-rated session if ever there was one. Not enough interval sessions of multiple x 1 mile reps.
    Not enough racing in the build up. More 10k, 10 mile, HM required.

Actually I think I was OK to achieve 3:15 if that was what I set out for. I didn't. I set out for 3:00. I took the gamble and the house (predictably) won. I'm not upset, in fact I'm quite pleased. This was a race without any pressure attached. If there wasaa greater pressure level do you think I would have tried harder? You bet.
  • Options
    Hi, can I join your gang?! I've just entered the FLM 2006 and as I do alot of training on my own I thought I'd have a read of some of your comments to keep me motivated!

Doing the Washington DC marathon at the end of this month then will probably re-start serious training at the start of December. Bit of a long shot but does anyone live in Clitheroe or nearby and need a training buddy? I've run 3:28 in Paris but I'm very lazy in training!

Good luck to everyone with training and racing over the winter months...I'll keep checking back for top tips and advice.

Jess :)
  • Options
    Pizza - shut up.

Only kidding - interseting point. At the moment I am running three times a week, with one a track session. I have found this very useful for getting the legs moving quicker, but am interested as to why this should be on top of endurance and not as a pre-cursor?

Hello Little Jess - You can't be that lazy with a 3.28 under your belt!!
  • Options
    Blisters, I wouldn't beat yourself up too much, looks like a pretty decent preparation and if you do iron out any imperfections for FLM then you should be in good shape to find those extra 7 minutes.

Cardiff turned out warm again as well.

For my part, feeling quite confident for Sunday after a good long fartlek session with the club whippets last night. About 8 miles added to my solo 3 mile warm up. Maybe there is a chance that Mr PB will make a visit to my door, fingers crossed.

FBF, by the sounds of it we may share a few physical attributes!!!!
  • Options
    Possibly - although marathon training is a good way to shapeshift!

It is also partly why I do it - so I can continue eating and drinking to my heart's content.
  • Options
    FBF, it's the same with most forms of training, endurance, strength, power.

the muscle fibres needs to have the basic element of endurance to progress onto the next level of strength and then power.
    Power without strength can lead to tissue breakdown.

I don't know anything about you or your history of running, you might well be able to come in at a higher level whereas someone else won't. You might already be a very high level. Basically you gotta do what works for you. The endurance, tempo, speed thing is a template not a rule.

I'll shut up now :0)
  • Options
    High level? I occasionally run up hills, but that's about it!!

Let us say that I was running quite happily and trying to get a good 10k or 5k time. The emphasis would be on tempo and speed work. If I then decided to train for a marathon, should I drop the speed in favour of endurance, or keep doing it whilst gradually building endurance?

I think I/m a bit confused....
  • Options
    FBF, I came from a similar school, many years anaerobic training for football etc. together with 3 weekly 5 mile runs as hard as I could.

When I took up running more seriously and dropped the football, just over 2 years ago now I found fairly rapid progress from running more often. However it was not until around this time last year when I changed emphasis to concentrate on increased mileage at lower intensity that I saw a step change occur. Still kept in a tempo or interval + club night which is always an effort of some sort but the rest was all easy, some using HRM some just by feel.

End result was that my base level increased and I took PBs at every distance available 5k thru marathon between Feb & May this year. Am hoping a similar regime with a bit more nutritional help/willpower will give similar return this year. many times I have been quoted the toothpaste analogy 'squeeze from the bottom rather than the middle of the tube and ultimately you will get more out'. Might be worth a try?
  • Options
    I think that one of the basic elements of the theory is that by running at 85%mhr you can do a lot more miles. The more miles you do, the better the endurance base, and the more fat burned out of the system. This is the "base" of the pyramid that has to be built. When you then move prward on to tempo runs at the lactate threshold you will be preparing your fit body to work in the difficult zone. Anaerobic training & racing on the top of all this has to be very carefully built in. If you are a late starter, like me, you may be treading the tightrope of injury.

Hmmmm......I may be in for a reassessment of my training regime.
    Daily 6 mile at 85%
    Weekly Long run at 85%
    Weekly track session - Not the 400 to 800 range stuff that I've regularly done, but 4 x 6min/mile
  • Options
    I think this makes some sense. The problem with being a late starter is that just by running I have been improving and don't, therefore, know what works best.

I do have a 10k race on Sunday, but I'm sure I'm allowed one of those!! After that it's the Marlow half on 6th November - anyone interested? Very hilly, but a really nice course and friendly.

I will be picking up the mileage over the coming weeks - gradually - and might trim back the interval training a bit, especially seeing as the sessions are geting nasty now the cross-country season is upon us.

Or perhaps I'll just run the first 10k of the marathon reaaaalllly quickly and then jog the rest.

Maybe not.
  • Options
    Of course there's another theory.

Any session is a good session if it makes your muscles tired. So long as you avoid injury.
  • Options
    'Lo all. Another hilly 12 miler yesterday in 1:43. Had to go to bed in the afternoon for a snooze I was so bushed. Average HR 127bpm though which is ok. To be honest I should be putting in more effeort than that but have got myself in with a weekend running partner who's not at that stage just yet. The delicate issue is how to break the news that I need to push my training on by going a bit harder on these long runs. No biggie at this stage but need to think about this.

Off to the gym this afternoon for a few gentle kms as recovery.
  • Options
    Hi all,

Good race yesterday. 10 miles, fairly flat course overall with a fast downhill start but tough last couple back up the early incline. Another gloriously warm sunny day in Essex, not my favourite conditions for racing but hey, don't knock it at this time of the year.

Tried starting a little slower than usual, mainly as I was worried about lack of over distance runs recently and consequently my endurance in the heat. Mind you the downhill 1st mile and possibly a slightly early mile marker still had me there in 6:10 which seemed too comfortable to be correct. Settled into steady 6:40 - 6:45 miling until a tough uphill section from 8 to beyond 9 slowed me a bit.

Really had to dig deep and hang in there for the last mile, but finished in a PB of 67:41 an improvement of over a minute so very pleased. I wore flats though for the first time over 10 miles and the legs know all about it today!
  • Options
    Blisters, that's the theory that most of us subscribe to.

Nice low HR Milligan and congrats on the PB Notley.

I did the Chiltern League cross country and ran well by my standards. Finishing the hilly 9000m course in 36.12 ish. good stregnth building run but I felt a tweak in my claf so took saturady off. I'll go out later for a 2 hour easy run and see if I can get my HR as low as Milligans.
  • Options
    Hilly 10k in 41.40 which is a pb, so happy enough. Am going to add in an extra run (easy 5 miler) this week just for kicks and to try and get to a more fighting weight.

Overwhelming enthusiasm for Marlow half then??

Cracking 10 miler Notley - I had slightly similar experience with very fast 1st km yesterday, then got all despondent after the next couple before finally figuring out the markers were no-where near accurate. But then my brain never does work well whilst running at an effort.
  • Options
    Well done FBF, more to come on a flatter course and certainly if you drop a few pounds as well. I'm a notoriously over fast starter and my attempt at a slower start yesterday followed my races in September which resulted in the following:

5:54 mile 1 of a 5m
    3:21 K 1 of 10k
    (off downhill starts though)

I'm reliably advised that the 1m marker yesterday was early so maybe I was more disciplined than first thought.

PM hope that knock is nothing serious. Wish I could make a 2hour run on a Monday and not be stuck in the office!
  • Options
    Milligan - received the schedules this morning. Thanks a million! Looks like I have some serious work to do... there's quite a lot of speedwork.

Does anyone else have issues trying to fit in/have the energy for medium long (e.g. about 13 mile) runs after work during the week though, like this and other schedules recommend? How do you all do it?