Options

Scottish Runners

Comments

• Options

Been 'interesting' weather here too. Had a glorious 10 miler yesterday, shorts and sunglassesimage Then today, got drenched on a 23 milerimage Only in Scotlandimage

• Options

I had mixed luck with the rain. parkrun was really wet this morning but this afternoon's Benromach 10k got the best of the weather. I was a few seconds off a PB but it was a really good race with a group of 10 or so of us running together for 9.5k before breaking up a bit in the finish.

• Options

Good luck Cape Wrathers image

• Options

thanks!!! all ready and set to go tomorrow morning.

will be stopping in Inverness and cycling to Chanonry point to watch the dolphins for a bit, before carrying onto Cape Wrath! Excited, nervous but mostly just looking forward to it and hoping for an injury free week imageimageimage

Good luck anyone racing at CW or anywhere else!!

Elspeth.. good luck!!

• Options

Morning

Rest Day, but been out walking Geordie.

• Options

Hi everyone, 

I saw this thread and thought I would introduce myself, being from Glasgow this seemed like the right place image 

I am quite new to running and trying to improve my 5k time before going for more distance. I do a lot of long distance walking (did the kilt walk a couple of weeks ago if any of you were there?) really want to up my training to work towards running these longer distances. 

Anyway hope you all having a good Sunday image 

• Options

morning all

leaving soon for CW image Excited!!!

maybe see you there Elspethimage

Welcome Bowies. Know a few people who did the kilt walk in work,

Probably wont be online much if at all while away as may not have reception, so hope everyone has a great week, racing or otherwise.image

• Options

Morning all and good luck to everyone doing CW. It sounds amazing.

Just back from a run along the River Avon. Managed 18km so quite chuffed.  First time trying my new shoes and bottle belt. Don't think i have the art of taking a drink while running yet image

Anyway I'm about to snaffle a couple of rolls and sausage.  Hope you all have a good run today.

And welcome Bowies image

• Options

Thanks guys, just been out for a rather wet run but very refreshing! Did 4.5k in 29:43 which I was pleased with by my standards! 

• Options

Afternoon all

Safe travels North UTC......and South Els and OH image.

Good running MrsMac, 57.5, CC and others out and about.

Welcome to the thread Bowies.

Cold and blowy wet morning in Glasgow for all those ladies pounding out the Women's 10k in the Southside - although not quite as hideous as last year if I recall!

A nice 14miler for me, avoiding the above route image, did some nice long gradual hills, just plodding it out on the ups and long downs to get the legs ready for their next big task.....talking of which....

Cragchick - did you wear your Inov8's on the SDW100 last year? I'm currently thinking I will take two pairs of Inov's (variations on tread / grip) and test which seem the best in the days leading up to it. I'm guessing it will either be extremes of solid baked hard chalk if its hot, or a total quagmire if it gets wet? Really really dont want to wear road shoes over that distance, so I will just have to put up with the hard ground underfoot if it turns very hot down there image!

Way the weather is at the moment though - that hot day we had on Tuesday - that was our Summer!!!

• Options

been a while since ive posted  just back from portugal  a short break  took running shoes  and ran every morning in the sun  bliss , have decided i need to start again  as i have missed  the effort  and fresh air 

• Options
    tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

Just been out with the "dafties" group off facebook, doing a 19miles recce run along clyde stride route- great fun, but a bit dreich, the surpirising thing was that the coo field (you'll know it if you know the route) was firm underfoot, nowhere near as muddy as expected- perhaps that was the effect of the "summer" we had on tuesday!

Really enjoying running in company- which I don't usually manage to do..........just wish it was easier to find a handy running group that doesn't meet at times I can't make.

Heading of to sunnier climes on thursday for a week, - hopefully will get some runnig in around the mountains in bulgaria!

Hope the CW crowd get better weather the next few days, as they'll get a bit rusty/ mouldy if they are out in this every day.

• Options

Welcome Bowies. And good luck in Cape Wrath Elspeth, UTC etc.

• Options

Welcome Bowies. Your 4.5km time is good! I am very slow.

I did a wee 5k trail run today and learned that not all miles (or kilometres) are equal. It was wet, rocky, steep and full of obstacles but I loved it. It was a very slow run but tbh I think it did more for my fitness than any other run!

How do I get quicker folks? I feel like I'm just getting slower.

• Options

Welcome Bowies and welcome back kg. No running for me today but a productive day around the house. Hope you saw some dolphins UTC, never have myself in 4 years living in these parts.

I imagine the weather is quite 'fresh' for CW. Very windy here at times.
    How to run faster? The two most popular ways are:

1. run hills which makes the flats easier
    2. interval sessions (fast running with breaks in between). This does not have to involve lycra, running tracks and stop watches, just picking a route and running say 5 lamposts hard with a gentle jog for the next two does the trick.

• Options

Thank you so much 57.5

I keep reading about tempo running and fartlek training. I will give it a go.

When does the CW begin?

• Options

Lee-Anne - it starts today with the choice of a Half mara or 10k.

Gonna be very windy up there this week I think image!

Happy holidays Tricialitt.

• Options

Mornng

Bowie: Welcome

KG: Good to have you back with us.

Tricialitt: Enjoy your hols.

CW: Visted it a couple of times when my in laws stayed up there about 10 years ago.

• Options

Bowie: welcome.

KG: welcome back.

Cape Wrath could be interesting this year. The weather today here in Glasgow has been bizarre. Cold, sunny one minute, dark the next and hammering hail and sleet image

Mad day trying to work from home and prepare for baby FFB birthday tomorrow. Baking gods not with me and so her cake is not quite what I had hoped image

• Options

Thanks cragchick, nice race organisation from the Forres folks. Ben Rinnes is certainly an adventurous run! Are you doing any of the forest runs?

• Options

Mornng

Still got cold so nothing bar walking Geordie

• Options

I did boot camp last night in a hail storm!

I am away on a school trip this weekend so I won't get my usual running in. Also have two parents evenings. Grrr

• Options

I managed a run this morning, not much but I was pushed for time so was pleased I made the effort to get out there at all!  I have the race for life a week on Sunday so trying hard to keep the training up, is anyone else doing this? 

• Options
    Grant YoungGrant Young ✭✭✭

Afternoon all, weather here in Edinburgh is changeable to say the least, slowing down for the Edinburgh half in a couple of weeks time, looking for 1-45. I believe it is quite a fast course. Was really keen to CW but new job meant no chance. Off to Oldshoremore for a weeks holiday in Sept, so hopefully manage a few runs. 

• Options

Out at a work thing tonight, so no running.

At Pilates class last night, had bad attack of cramp in left calf and right foot at the same time - too much hilly running? 

• Options

Quick pop in to say hi and that we haven't blown away!! VERY windy until today seems a bit calmer so managed to escape the tent for the afternoon. Both races have been dry so far - I did the half and the shorter hill race while bf did 10k and longer hill race (and won both wouldn't u know!!... Smart arse). Lovely to meet Elspeth and OH. 

Stunning place here.. But would be a tough one long term...that said I wouldn't be in a tent in that case!! Loving it so far though.. Although am dreading the marathon as feel knackered already despite trying to take it easy.

Welcome back kg. Sounds like everyone is going well!!

Will  tap in later. Mixed 10 mile /6mile run tomorrow before short beach 5k Thursday then day off Friday before marathon on Saturday.