Options

Scottish Runners

Comments

• Options

Oh and Good Luck to all Bank Holiday weekend racers image.

• Options

Sounds like a great run cragchick. Have a great time in Aberdeen, I love Eddie Izzardimage

Great race report FFBimage I love reading reports and hearing how everyone overcomes the (many) hurdles that cross our path in Ultras.

Good luck Kenny and anyone else with races this weekend.

Packed and ready to go and trash my legs (again) on my very favourite part of the WHW tomorrowimage

• Options
    Joe VolcanoJoe Volcano ✭✭✭

Evening folks, just a reminder the Falkirk parkrun is reopening tomorrow after being closed for path work for yonks and yonks. I suspect there will be quite a crowd and party atmosphere image I'm not doing it as I had quite a hard outing at the Atkins 3k 'Ultra*' last week (knocking 43s off my pb). image

Good luck with all these baffingly long events you do! image

*ultra short image

• Options

Welcome back Joe.

Good luck Kenny, and anyone else racing.

May do the parkrun tomorrow.

• Options

Joe: It's good to have you back with us.

All the best to the racers.

• Options

OH: It probably makes you relieved and for a quiet house. image

• Options

Had a very soggy and short run tonight. I just did 2 miles of a route I am hoping to use for my threshold training. It is relatively safe and well lit as well as being close to home.

Good luck to those racing tomorrow x

• Options
    tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

Went out for a couple of hours along start of clyde stride route- except that I started from southern general, so I didn't actually get that far along the route itself. Have decided that next weekend will better spent on a clyde stride group recce run, rather than the "sea of pink" wimmins 10k. Need to get some faster trainig in before my polaroid race(s).

I also did a little hill running this week- up from the beardmore- where I was at a meeting all day thursday- straight along the canal up to Glen Lusset and up the hill. Lovely, but I definitely need more practice at that!

1 month 'til the strathearn marathon- which is just a trainig run for clyde stride, but only 10 weeks til clyde stride- need to get my mileage up!- Easy to get a bit complacent when you know you've manged the distance (and more) before, but I'd really like to make a better job of it this year! (ie beat the sweeper by more than a few mins)

• Options

Hi fellow Scots,  this is my first post on the forum.  I started running in Jan 2013 following a couple of years cycling.  I've got my 5k down to 23mins and my 10k at 51mins.  My target now is half marathon distance and I've entered the Great Scottish Run in October. I also have an eye onthe next Loch Ness marathon if the next few months training goes well.

Anyway just wanted to say hello.  My local run is Strathclyde Country Park / Chatelherault in case any of you are from my area.

• Options

nice running Tricia.. not long back myself but wasn't as long as intended.

legs just weren't feeling it, and too much going on in my head to be done so bailed early. Not too fussed in a way. Know what you mean Tricia about getting complacent when you know you've covered the distance before. 

I am reassuring myself with the fact I have done a few 20 milers although I havent for a few weeks due to injury and illness. I know I have no real aims for CW except to get around and really enjoy the experience and the week though so trying not to put pressure on myself and not to feel scared. I am still a bit achey across my shoulder blades but it doesn't really bother me when running. Physios have said it is just residual and I should just concentrate on stretching and encouraging good posture. 

Oh and Tricia, I'm glad we're missing the 10k next week too as we'll be heading to CW. (Just hoping for ok weather!!!). This will be the 2nd year I haven't done it, but will also hopefully manage a few 10ks once the marathon week is over.image

Once CW is done I have a plan to get my fitness back... and not to be ill or injured by the end of the year. Fingers crossed!!

Welcome back Joe!!! Great PB!

Good luck MrsMac too, sounds fantastic!!

Oh and FFB I did read your report too! Fantastic read. Race reports are my favourite tooimage

I have my cousin's hen night tonight. Going with my sister and mum though (aunties etc going too as well as her friends) so I'll be sticking with them as I dont really know her friends. And as I'm marshalling tomorrow at the triathlon I was supposed to be racing in, I need to be up relatively early so it wont be a late one for me. ( I dont seem able to do them any more).

Hope everyone else is well and any racers had a good day!

• Options

FFB - FWIW I think you are down-playing the Fling slightly and your achievement in finishing - it might be worth pointing out that there were 46 DNF's that day and some 'big' names (including one of the women who won it a few years ago) fallen amongst those. Any safe completion of a race that length and technicality is an achievement.

Also, I wasnt struggling over the last two stages, okay I had a 'legs don't work moment' between 37-40m, but that was it.......just saying, like image......(takes language pedants hat off) image.

UTC - you will be fine at CW I'm sure and it is a really enjoyable week and lovely peaceful place, so go with the flow image. Good luck marshalling tommorrow.

Hope you are having a great run MrsMac.

Rest day today, long run tommorrow probably. Freezing cold walk at Largs today, that wind is something else - 57.5 was right about 'January temps' freezing the midges image! Need to start picking up my miles again for the small matter of a visit to the South Downs in June image!

Enjoy the rest of the holiday everyone.

• Options

Welcome iksanderimage

Good running Tricia. I'm swithering about entering Strathearn as a training run tooimage

You'll have a great run at CW UTC, I'm sure of itimage Enjoy the Hen Night.

Was going to say 'hope you enjoyed the rest today' TP, but a freezing cold walk in Largs?! image Have a good run tomorrowimage

Had a cracking run today. 25.6 miles in total. Started in glorious sunshine (Baltic though) and had torrential rain and strong headwinds for the last 12 miles. Legs felt good after last weekimage

• Options

Welcome iksander!

Finally back running myself with a gentle trot around the local parkrun (plus a warmup lap to check that the slight course adjustments to accomodate a new football pitch and some serious standing water added up to the usual length). Helped out by running with a wee boy from Orkney who didn't have a 'responsible adult' in his family who could keep up with him, and we found quite a bit to talk about as he ran in places around Kirkwall I know and had done the kids race on Hoy. May go longer tomorrow.

I'd agree with TP in not downplaying the Fling finish. All those walkers we passed were mightily impressed at the concept of going to Tyndrum in a day I'm sure. All I had to do was look at the first view of Ben Lomond in the early morning, calculate the summit as being only just further than half way and impress myself!

• Options

I'm sure that ultra near Loch Ness has so few entrants as you don't seem to get much for your 55 quid. All races will now be judged against the Fling for value for money. And few will match up!

I have enjoyed running around Phorp cragchick. Fortunately with a friend who knows the area so as not to get lost. Are you fit to run Benromach?

• Options

morning all

off to marshall shortly!! lovely day compared to last year as weather was dreadful for this race last year... shame I cant race image Should be a fun day.

You lot always have such cool runs!! Sounds fab. Will catch up properly later!!

Have a good day everyone.

• Options

Thanks for the welcomes image

Just back from my first 10 mile run this morning. Quite pleased with myself as I felt I had plenty left in me and should be able to go longer.  

Reading all your posts with envy I have to say.  I hope to be able to put in the long mileage in the not to distant future.

• Options
    tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

iksander- don't worry, if you keep slowly increasing the mileage, you'll get there- slow and steady is the main thing. If you're comfortable over 10 miles, you would manage a half tomorrow- race day atmosphere counts for a lot on the day. GSR is a good event. Loch Ness is a great marathon to aim for- great day out, friendly race, and with the hills, it will give you a nice "soft" PB target to beat for your second marathon! I thouroughly recommend it, but DO make sure you do some downhill running to train, as otherwise you can trash your quads.

Wow- 46 DNF's at the fling.......that gives me pause for thought.

• Options
    elspeth fayelspeth fay ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, just had quick flick back on return from Glasgow. Rather tedious conference but had a nice run on Kelvin canal Wed night - wonder if our paths crossed UTC?

Everyone seems to be running well, I am still very sluggish, it felt hard the other night.

Recce run on Devil course sounds good TP - when are you planning it?

Best get out for a run now, though rather sleepy after long day travelling yesterday - Cape Wrath is fast approaching!

57.5 - was that Steven? Nice of you to run with him.

FFB - enjoyed your race report.

• Options

That was indeed Steven, Elspeth.

• Options

Orkney summer has officially been declared, it's been warm all afternoon! Of course it may be over by tomorrowimage 11 mile run over wideford hill then down to the sea and along the coast, tough enough still for my legs.

57.5 - I know his mum a little. He's doing well with his running.

• Options
    Joe VolcanoJoe Volcano ✭✭✭

Just adding my welcome to iksander, we're a friendly bunch here!image Do you do the strathy parkrun then? Good fast course but a bit dull. GSR has a wee hill at the start but I expect you know that already.

Thanks for the comments UTC! image

• Options

Good evening all,

I did the first long run of my half marathon training today so just did 5 miles. Was disturbed by the presence of a strange bright and glowing orb in the sky. All very odd.

I am starting some threshold training and hill work too so have been scouting routes. Hoping that I can get quicker because I am painfully slow (11.30 minute miles image) and would like to do the GNR in 2hrs 20 ish.

• Options

Welcome Iksander.

Good long running MrsMac, sounds like a great weekend.

Elspeth - not decided on recce date yet, May is looking very busy, June I've got my big race, prob have to be July at this rate image!

Other Fling facts for the number crunchers amongst us image - the official WHW website puts Milngavie to Tyndrum at an estimated 35hrs walking time image - if you add their 'max' figures together for each stage - but they also say that doesnt account for food / rest breaks, or how heavy your pack is image.

57.5 - I hadnt seen how expensive that Loch Ness race was. Prices seem to vary so much on races, it is hard to see what you are getting for your money sometimes.

8.2miles run today, then a 3m walk after lunch. All good ultra training image.

• Options

Welcome iksander.

Just over 7 miles today. Quite warm here.

• Options
    Joe Volcano wrote (see)

Just adding my welcome to iksander, we're a friendly bunch here!image Do you do the strathy parkrun then? Good fast course but a bit dull. GSR has a wee hill at the start but I expect you know that already.

Thanks for the comments UTC! image

I haven't yet joined up for a parkrun yet as a few months ago I didn't have the confidence and now I find myself using the weekend for my main long run.  I've started running the trails through Chatelherault so that I can do a bit of hill work. 

I work in Glasgow city centre so yeah I'm familiar with the likely course.  The GSR will be my first official race so quite excited even if it is mass participation.

• Options

Morning

Just in a for a nosey over coffee

• Options

Elspeth been posing as me again, I seeimage

Haar slowly clearing here after our one afternoon of sunshine, just heading out for 6/7 miler on taper for CW next week

Welcome Iksander

• Options

morning

off work for the bank hol today.

great day marshalling yesterday at the triathlon. tiring day though. Bf did well, a little slower than normal (for him) on the run as he'd twisted his knee at the hill race on Saturday but still was 10th out of 200!!! Smart arse.... his friends were 2nd, 5th and 11th... hmmmm.image

long-ish run planned again today, after proper clear up of the flat.

good luck with the Half training Lee Anne..

I've just bought some new pedals for my road bike - with same cleats as my new triathlon shoes so my next race should be fun... need to get fit and booked up!!! (Need some sprints, only booked for the Olympic distance and the Half IM for the year!)

Right... coffee and cake time 1stimageimage it's a bank holiday after allimage

• Options

Enjoy the cake UTC - thats an impressive set of results from your bf and his pals image, were they blocking everyone else in or something? image

Was the race in Pollok Park? I saw there was a race going on yesterday afternoon when I drove past, but wasnt sure what it was. Some speedy boys at the front though image!

Had a good run this morning and got in 12m round the park, bit wet but not too cold. Housework to do now, and a load of stuff to package up for delivery. Courier coming this evening, and hopefully he won't destroy any more of the neighbouring tree with his massive truck, like he did last time image!

• Options

Hi All, Been a bit busy.

OK main news is that the QUIZ NIGHT has been PUSHED OUT TO 19th JUNE. Same venue, same time same price.Various circumstances have conspired plus I have some time constraints and want to make sure it is a good night so taking the extra few weeks will ensure that.

Welcome back Joe and welcome Iskander image

UTC - great result from your BF image

Off up to Aberdeen this evening. Need to kick start back into my training this week too.