Scottish Runners

Comments

• Email today from organisers of Loch Leven Half - the chip timings were not correct....I'm starting to see a pattern here image.

I had a 4min discrepancy between my garmin and their chip, I would expect maybe a few seconds difference, but not that much. Looks like it happened to everyone.

Dodgy chips....hmmmm....money for old rope springs to mind. Both faulty chips I've had this year were really bashed and obviously well used. Bout time some of these companies re-invested in new stock!

Cannot find who Balfron got theirs from so I don't know if its the same company as supplied Loch Leven, but feel sorry for all the RO's who are having to go around apologising for the mess.

• Hi all

Sven from Airdrie here image

Anyone know of anyone that might have a spare unwanted ticket for the Edinburgh HM this weekend?

Was offered a full Mara spot yesterday, but I've not properly trained since I ran Barcelona in March

I'd be really grateful if anyone can assist, drop me a message image

Kind regards

• tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

Gone awfy quiet on here.......................anyone else doing Strathearn tomorrow?

Anyone else signing up for Glen Ogle tonite?

No running for a couple of days here as resting up before Strathearn, although I've not really tpaered, and I'm doing it slow- ish.

• Running the Vale of Leven 10k tomorrow

Hoping to get a pb, but the forecast isn't looking good image

I'm seriuosly hoping for better weather tomorrow- 26.2 miles in this will be deeply horrible. Good luck at VoL 10k- mind the puddles just after the start!

• Lovely day out at Strathearn yesterday after some truly horrific driving conditions on the Saturday. Wind stayed with us but thankfully the lashing rain buggered off to give some glorious sunshine for race day.

A nice measured relaxed plod for me, enjoying the scenery, just getting the miles in. Learnt my lesson to start slow after the mass hysteria start at York last year where everyone hairs off like they are doing a 10k image. Took my time and enjoyed the long climbs up over the moors but had forgotten about some of the really steep descents, not having done this since 2012!

Very strong cross-wind at about 11m-14m seemed to slow everyone down, by 15m we turned up a slight hill then dropped down into a lovely wooded valley and it was boiling hot, but much better without the constant gale hammering you. Right hip was yelling Oi over the last 5 miles, and then just as I approached 25.5 with the end in sight, it was like someone stabbed me in the middle of the stomach and I had to try really hard not to just double over. No idea where that came from as had had no 'issues' on the race at all. Consequently when the guy at 26m asked me to wave at the camera all I could manage was imageimage!! And then it was the finish Hurrah image!

Really great race, very well organised. I like that they take your drinks out to 10.5 and 18.5m, that seems perfect spacing, and this year they had them ready to hand out so there was no fumbling about. Also liked the squirrel medal and the cake at the finish image.

• tricialitt wrote (see)

Gone awfy quiet on here.......................anyone else doing Strathearn tomorrow?

Anyone else signing up for Glen Ogle tonite?

No running for a couple of days here as resting up before Strathearn, although I've not really tpaered, and I'm doing it slow- ish.

I've signed up for the Glen Ogle race. Looks like it'll be a busy one this year.  

Hey - TP- Nice to see you at Strathearn. I was very happy with the way it went, even though not that fast, I felt much better than usual at the end, and for the first time ever I could have run today or yesterday.

Will try a recovery run tomorrow.

• Good to see you too Tricia.

I had a nice run too and was enjoying it up until the last half mile when I got a stab in the stomach. I much prefer these quieter races where you can do your own thing and just see one or two people (although I did think for a moment between 20-24 miles, that you and me were the only two running!!). York did my head in a bit last year with all the people.

Cycled to the allotment yesterday as everything was needing watering - the worse part was carrying the bike downstairs!!

• After a long hiatus I remember to post here again! Survived the heat of Comrades and now looking forward to the cold of Hoy for the half. At least Kirkwall is looking bright and sunny just now, and not even windy!

• Well done at Comrades 57.5!

Going to do some shortish runs this week and try to get my legs working again!

• The forum can't be this quiet because of glorious summer weather (though this weekend is an improvement). I haven't been running much recently, what is everyone else's excuse?

Belated thanks TP.

Now off for a gentle bimble in the woods with the dogs.

• Picked up a stupid little calf pull today but going to test it out on a light jog tomorrow morning.
  • Not running much due to (unresolved) kidney stone image

• Ouch - get well soon OH!!

8m run this morning, very humid, dripped buckets! Just about finding my long run feet again after Strathearn.......just as well as only 26 days to go until FW marathon!

• Hi I'm a new poster to the site, been lurking for a long time though haha image currently living NE Scotland.

Welcome POLR- It's not usuallly this quiet on here- Have you got any races planned?

Just back from a rather warm 6miles up the local hills. Working up to my next marathon at the end of the month. Really could do with getting a decent long run in, but it's too hot to go out for much more than an hour.

• Completed the Lairig Ghru mountain race last weekend.  the volume of water on the mountain meant I had to walk and rock hop large sections either side of the boulder field.  Thoroughly enjoyed the experience but doubt I'll do it again as it really is an ankle breaker of a trail.  Some poor fella face planted in the boulders and ended up with stitches on his face.  Pleased to say I made it round within the 6hr cut off so happy with that.  Next up is the Loch Ness marathon.

• Thanks tricialitt.  No races planned, had some time off with injury so back to base building again now, hopefully get fit for x-country season and then look to race a few 10k and 1/2 marathon's next year.  Weather cooled off here today which is a shame I was enjoying the morning runs in the sun image

• Very quiet on here! I have dipped my toes back into running with a decent amount of running last week and a nice parkrun in Greenock.

Where are you POLR?

Hi there- nice to see I'm not the only one who checks this threwad occaisionally. Working this weekend, but planning a long run tomorrow, on trail, as I have a trail marathon in Fort William in 2 weeks.....it's going to be a short taper, as I harldy feel I'm trained yet- my longest runs in the last 2 weeks are 11 miles, but that was on very steep trail, and took 2.5 hours, so goood time on feet, and did it twicw in 3 days, so must be good training ( I hope).

• Hopefully will be running again after the 21st (Op date) ... image

• Did my last long run on Saturday in muggy heat, then cycled on Sunday in pishing rain...ahh the joys of the Scottish Summer image.

Mini-taper now up until Fort William. Hard to tell from the site what trail conditions to expect, but I reckon I will go for road shoes as there are some long stretches of road and then its onto the canal path before more road. Hopefully it will be dry image!!

Good luck with the op OH.

• Hi 575, I'm currently living near Elgin image I take it your from Greenock area?

Hey tricialitt good luck the the trail marathon.

polr

TP- I saw a thing somewhere saying that most of  the FW marathon was on tracks, by which I assume fairly good forestry type paths, rather than anything too slippy. I'm going with road/ trail brooks hybrids, I think.

What I don't have is any concept of how long I expect to take- it could easily be ove r6 hours if the trails/ hills are quite lumpy. Gonna pack as if for an ultra, but obviously there are no drop bags, so will have to carry what I want to eat.

• Tricia/TP - Still swithering about my entry, would like to do it but would be mega

bad wife leaving P behind after his stone procedure earlier in the week (it should have been a couple of weeks ago).

Somewhere they said expect an hour up on your normal marathon time. The canal section will be pretty flat and I think there's 8 or so miles of that. I think if I do it will be treating it as a short ultra, but as you say will have to carry own snacks!

Had a very slow run at Harris HM 10 days ago but still got first V55 prize, better weather than last time I did it but a bit of a headwind. Followed by 12 miles on the WHW (Kingshouse to Bridge of Orchy) while we were away and 20 miles on Sat Stromness to Birsay, which was amazingly soggy underfoot for the time of year, started warm and sunny, then rained heavily for an hour then brilliant sun for the last 8 miles.

Well done on Lairig Ghru, Iksander!
  • Yeah I was figuring hard packed forest tracks a bit like the section of the WHW where it comes into Fort William (which is hideous packed stone trail) and grit stone / solid canal, so I reckon any road or road hybrid would be fine.

Also will be using a backpack for food / drink as the water stations look far apart!! And as you say they are not doing a drop bag or drink transfer...so as cola is my energy drink, I will have to be carrying it myself image.

Well done on the win Elspeth image!

• elspeth fay wrote (see)
    Well done on Lairig Ghru, Iksander!

Thanks Elspeth!  

Good luck to everyone running in Fort William marathon next week.  Fingers crossed for decent weather. Also good luck to anyone running the Clyde Stride ultra this weekend.  I'm contemplating it for next year.  Might pop down on to the section between Strathclyde Park and the big field for a bit of a run and to watch a bit of the action.

• Hope nobody here has any flooding. We've had a pond in our work changing rooms twice in this so called summer, but today hasn't been too bad weather wise in the north.

I'm near Nairn POLR, so we must have met at a race or two. Back to Inverness parkrun tomorrow but not for a hard effort. Running feels like hard work at the moment!

• 27km done yesterday along the Clyde Stride route exit from Strathclyde Park.  Great to see the CS runners along the way.