Scottish Runners

Comments

• Just had an unpleasant email from RO of Pentlands Skyline to me and one other participant basically telling me I should never have entered.  

"I was shocked when I heard from my team of helpers on the day how extremely late the sweepers arrived at the half way point. I am sure you can appreciate how it can complicate the organisation of the remainder of the race." (33 minutes in context)

this is the first time I have encountered this sort of attitude in the running community and I'm not impressed. I will return to the Pentlands Skyline run but will do it with my own company and not with Carnethy Runner's organisation.

• That is an atrocious attitude from the organisers!

I bet they were more than happy to take your money though image!!

I hope these people never organise an ultra - complaining about folk being over-due by half an hour - they are in for a big shock image!!

• Ooh, that is a horrible attitude, and seems especially pointless and spiteful to e-mail you to have another go at you - obviously you wouldn't be entering again unless you thought you would make the cut-off the next time. Something I've seen my club do at its longer races which seems much friendlier is let a small group of runners set off early if there's a time limit on how long people can be out on the course. It takes a bit of extra organisation to time them separately, but means everyone gets to run at their own pace and still finish.

• Hi all

I am looking for the best shop in Glasgow (I work in the centre at Queen Street area) to get my gait analysed. I know they do it at Run 4 it (Bothwell St) was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions ?

Thanks in advance

• Crossed seas and 2 borders to get to tomorrow's race and yes, they're speaking a foreign language ...

... roll on, Snowdonia Marathon Eryri image

• 330 - If you are experiencing hip, knee or foot issues I would suggest go see a podiatrist (free on NHS). I wouldn't trust a running shop to understand the results other than as an excuse to punt you off a pair of trainers that may or may not be suitable for your needs.

OH - good luck in Welsh-land.

• I am still alive too, and the recent good weather finally snapped me out of several months of relative sloth. Highlight was an out and back to Lundavra at the top of the West Highland Way last week in stunning weather. Also managed a 19 miler Friday to make my schedule look a bit more like marathon training in preparation for my big foreign sojurn. Mind you Hexham must be the closest 'foreign' marathon I could choose.

That sounds like a serious 3 days of racing TP! Hope Snowdonia went well OH.

Do you think I should enter the Pentland Skyline race, dawdle along at the back to really annoy the organisers, then hammer it to the checkpoint in time to beat the cutoffimage.

I am going to forego the Fling next year, but might try the G2E again. I enjoyed the race but did have friends run well over 30 of the miles with me and spent another 10 chatting to Running Bhoy who used to post here. It might get a bit dull otherwise. Still unsure whether to go for the full WHW in 2016.

Clocks changing = much more running in the dark. Ugggghhh!

• Thanks TP and 57.5. 

Snowdonia went pretty well. Still failed to do it under the 5 by 1 minute but 19 minutes faster than 2013.image

Made it to 22 miles by 4h mark but the last 4 miles over Bwlch Y Groes are brutal (with added water features this year image )

Great race , great organisation and support image

... and inclusive! - there were still about 400 runners behind me with the last finisher coming in at 7h32 (M75+). I was back having a lie down after my shower by then but I am sure a lot of the supporters on the finishing line were still there. I think a new course record was set by the winner. So room for all.

• Well done OH. I must admit I have looked at that event a couple of times but I usually miss the entry and it sells out.

Lol 57.5, that would be funny, plod along at 12mm (can you even go that slow? image) then hammer it at 7mm image.

Lovely autumn colours this morning. Hope this weather holds until Sunday!

• Good race at the Southside Six this morning. Did 2.45 for 16 very hilly, sometimes muddy miles, taking in 5 different parks, good mix of road and trail sections. Nice of them to throw in the 'worst' set of stairs in Queens Park just before the finish imageimage!

Well marshalled and marked out so no worries on losing the route, which was just as well as the bit through Linn Park was quite convoluted through the woods. No road closures, so there was a lot of running up to pedestrian crossings and waiting for lights, or waiting for gaps at major junctions, but that was a good excuse for a rest after some of the hills!

Discovered trails I didn't know were there. From Linn Park we were out on the pavement up to Clarkston, then a long downhill, then another long uphill up Ayr Road, overtook about 5 here (the local advantage of regularly running this hill!!). Into Rouken Glen, about 1.5m in here of quite muddy rocky leafy trail then out at Speirsbridge roundabout. A boring bit down the road through Thornliebank scheme, which just went to prove anywhere can look quite nice when the sun shines image....sometimes image.

Across the very busy roundabout near Pollok Park and then went the back way into Pollok Park (through the muddy bit at Cow Glen), also a route I wouldn't normally take, overtook 3 on the muddy bit, and then out onto the road past the football fields, the only place where we experienced any problems with cars (this comes back to my usual rant about how this part of Pollok Park needs to be one way, as its not wide enough for two cars and you get mown down if you're on foot). Managed to pick up a bit of speed here mainly cos I wanted to get clear of the traffic as quickly as possible and overtook another 3. Then from here across to Bellahouston Park, where again it seemed like we went up every hill in the place, and then yet more stairs up to the checkpoint (another 4 caught).

From Bellahouston 13mile done, then a long stretch down Nithsdale Road, (shook off 3 from earlier who had managed to catch up when I stopped to cross the road), but legs really starting to drag a bit here, finally across Pollokshaws Road, caught 1 more and overtook and then into the bottom of Queens Park, but the finish was back uphill at the flag pole, so we did a bit of circle around the pond then the climb up to 'The Stairs of Doom' image. Walked up the stairs, but the hill just after the stairs is actually worse, so jogged up that, then straight uphill to the finish!!

Good race, free hat in the goody bag! Enjoyed it and was by no means near the back, good mix of runners and good marshalling. The hardest part is probably getting an entry in the first place!

• Managed to plod my way round the Glen Ogle 33 on Saturday.  It was my first time round this course and I really enjoyed it.  Heavy rain hit us for an hour or so at about halfway but things calmed down a little nearer the end.  

Quite fancy doing it again next year now that I know the course.

• Well, I finally took the plunge and signed up for the West Highland Way race. And as if to taunt me I then had a rather wet and windy weekend of running in the Fort Bill area. Bit of a contrast with 3 short weeks ago.

Hope everyone survives Abigail safe and dry. Especially OH and Elspeth. I had a very wet and windy run home tonight as a prelude.

• Latest reports from Highland weather suggest we'll escape the worst of it which will hit the West Coast and Western Isles

• Just arrived in Florida. This will be nothing like running in Scotland with temps in the 30s forecast. On Saturday I was in danger of frostbite measuring the Elgin parkrun course!

• Think we are too in danger of running in 30 degrees ...

... Fahrenheit!

• To avoid us going a month without a post: BOING!!! For want of anything else I'll be biographical.

In the last month I've made it to 100 parkruns, swapped to Event Director for a new one in Elgin and had a tough time completing a marathon in the teeth of storm Desmond. Otherwise same old same old! Oh, I also became a 'Supervet'.

• Bad news about Loch Katrine Running Festival (10k, HM, Mara). Part of the loch side road has collapsed and Festival is on hold (possible reschedule or relocate) Decision likely to be made by end of January.

Inaugural St Magnus Marathon in Orkney on 3 July - entries already open (300 limit)

6 wet miles done this morning

(misread your post as having done 100 parkruns within last month, 57.5 and wondered how? before I realised this was this was running total)

• I did think that a marathon on Orkney that runs north and west is asking for some serious headwinds, even in June!

• Glad I came on now - that Orkney Marathon sounds terrific!

This is what always happens, I was only going to enter the D33 tonight, now I might be adding this to the mix as well....and probably a few others....

• Just entered D33 (Elspeth too)

• I've seen the Orkney Marathon route and it could be pretty harsh going, depending on the weather.

I'm hoping for the Hoy 1/2 and a few other races if I am home.

• Friends were trying to persuade me of the merits of the D33. But I'll stick with the Inverness Half again. At least if the weather is it's usual capricious self I'll be back in the warm before 90 mins are up. I hope to do Hoy again N o t A.

Talking of Orkney, sounds a bit wild up there. We have missed all the fun recently with no serious rain or wind.

I was catching up with a couple of former forumites during the week, one in the real world and one vitually. Ran with cragchick last weekend, she is still entering silly long races. Then a friend's Facebook comment on one of his friend's Timeline appeared, who turned out to be UTC. Heading off on a trip to Patagonia with the BF.

• Loch Katrine running festival now rescheduled for Sunday 23 October.

Entries open May 1 at 9pm

• I just heard of a new 50k in Dunoon. I was thinking about it, but I'm at work when it's on. Sounds a cracking run and it's a beautiful part of the country.
  • Just as I was about to pronounce life extinct on this thread!image

• I just realised that it had been a while since anyone had posted. What happened?