Options

Gosport Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    And you could do fancy dress - a romper suit perhaps?
  • Options
    Hmmm Ian, I've just checked the list: you're aiming for a 1:50. That's a respectable time. If I bring my 3-wheel pushchair, I'll be about 1/2 metre ahead of you. Agreed - you're pushing! Put me down for 1:49:59:75.

Hey, we haven't heard from Hendo for a while, hope he's OK. Hendo, if you're watching us, how's the cold?

BDB, I'm not sure that hilly is ill or injured. She didn't say so; maybe she's decided to do another race instead. If so, hope it goes well hilly!

It looks like everyone is set. How will we recognise each other? It'd be nice to at least say hello. The only photo I can see on the web of myself is here http://www.racephotos.topcities.com/congleton_11.htm, race number 1243. It was taken after 12 miles, so no sniggering please, it's not a beauty contest. I shall endeavour to wear the same kit (if it's all ironed!). Before line-up I'll be limping in black asics bottoms with a black fleece. Say hi if you recognise me (or my son).

C'mon people: we need your descriptions! For some of us, it's our last forum day tomorrow. Safe travels everyone!
  • Options
    Ooh goodness, it's all going on here.

Hilly, that was the most dignified 'drop-out' i've ever read. If it was me, i'd have to provide a long, descriptive narrative to achieve maximum sympathy. But, whatever your reasons for not doing this race, i hope you're well and don't laugh at my time when you lok back in on Monday!

gf, that weather forecast was interesting - it means we have winds on our sides and not our bums. If I run to the left of someone along the coast does that mean i'm sheltered. Maybe I'll keep an eye out for the odd fancy dressed dolphin or runner in a bugger and tuck in beside... if i can keep up.

Right, now I have a minor dilemma on the wardrobe front. Should I wear black tights with my long sleeve black t, or shorts? The weather makes this a borderline decision and I am seeking assistance. I was going to wear my red and white stripey team so'ton vest but it might not be safe in Gosport. Bit too close to Portsmouth, I've seen the local females and they're not to be messed with.

So I will be in black and am going to write Little Lou under my number. Trouble is you'll all be in front of me apart from Mr LL and Mrs BDB so you'll have to look behind you every time you pass a redhead in black. Thinking about it I might make a discrete label and safety pin it to my back so you shout encouragement as you lap me!!! I will also have a buggy with me at the end (not the one with gf in it) and will be being held up by two rather disinterested teenage daughters who think their mother is completely mad.

Not getting worried about it but i have a niggle in my knee that led to something badish before GSR. I now know that it comes from running down hard hills (like I did too much of on Tuesday). Lesson learned. So, not getting too concerned, resting it completely before Sunday and I will be fine.

Will have a toast to us all on Friday with the one glass of nice red wine that I will allow myself.

See you all there!
  • Options
    God, sorry, that was a really long message. If I can run like I can 'talk' on Sunday, i've got no probs...
  • Options
    Temp is border line LL - depends on how hot you get and how hard you will be running. I think I'm going to opt for shorts and a thermal top - I'm off to Nike Town tonight to get a new top. I've got a £60 credit note from a pair of returned NikeFree's that's been burning a hole in my kit back for a month or so. If the forcast drops a bit though, the good old ron hills will get an outing! I'll report my outfit tomorrow.

Glyco - nice picture. Even managed a thumbs up - impressive!
  • Options
    I've found a really bad <a href= "http://www.sportcam.net/site3/public/custom.php?add=620024&event=514&gt; picture of myself at the British 10k this year. Horrid!
  • Options
    Lets try that again - Me
  • Options
    Keep in mind that it'll be 11am when we start, so it won't be too cold. My theory is that if it's freezing, I'll leave the fleece top on. Otherwise just t-shirt. Not brave enough for a vest.

If you're buying new kit BDB, leave the labels on. We'll be sure to recognise you then :-)

As for you Lou, no problems recognising you. You're gonna be fully labelled, front and rear! Excellent!

Ian, what about you?
  • Options
    OK BDB, I've seen your photo. Pictures are better than a thousand words etc etc.

Your drawing is quite accurate actually, not bad at all.
  • Options
    Not at my best. I can really be that pale, podgy yet skinny legged surely. Believe it or not, that was a very gentle race! It was Mrs BDBs first race so I accompanied her. I was more tired than she was. I had to have a snooze when we got home.

I actually traced my picture from a photo (cheating I know but if you've got access the right software, why not eh?)
  • Options
    Just one question: how do you get the hyperlink into your posting? Don't know how to do that.

Hendo? Ian? When you read this, we need descriptions or photos. And Rachael! It's too difficult to recognise people from their postage stamp forum piccies.
  • Options
    There's a link generator somewhere that you can google for. Me, I try to type it in. Basically, the html for it is as follows;

<a href ="the link goes in these quotes"> THE BIT YOU WANT UNDERLINED AND CLICKABLE . My post that didn't work didn't have the closing quote or the closing anchor tag (). Hope it makes some sense.
  • Options
    That's the puppy!
  • Options
    I am impressed. I've looked at both your pictures and you both look respectable. Why is it that nobody wants to take my picture at races? Do I look that knackered when I run? I do try to smile my way round. I'm going to see if I can find a decent enough photo to temporarily replace my nipper on this thread. Could be hard..
  • Options
    Watch out, it sometimes takes RW more than a day to approve the photo. You might end-up faceless for a day.

That's why I was doing that cheesy thumbs-up thing. The photographer at Congleton wanted me to look happy.

BDB was the one in the pink lycra and leg warmers, not the normal-looking chap in the forefront of the picture. tee hee!
  • Options
    oh yes! nipper can stay. I think he's happy here anyway, what with these creche-like surroundings with your nipper. I will arrive at Gosport suitably badged... If nobody sees me it will be because i've been handed in to the lost children department. (now there's a way to get out of a run...)
  • Options
    This is a busy thread; we must be all getting excited and nervous. Nice run in the cold last night, and looking out for the weather forecast tonight. Agree with several of you about last minute choices on kit; t-shirt under the vest????. Cold and sunny, but not too windy would be good.

Me, tall, elderly and slightly stoopy, green Reading roadrunners vest.
  • Options
    Yes, we are a busy thread aren't we, i can't believe how many pages we've got through. It's a veritable pasta-party of camaraderie, each of us a valuable ingredient that adds to the distinctive flavour of the impending event. Let's hope the feast doesn't go straight through us by Sunday.

I'd definitely go for the t under the vest - especially for the seafront bit. I've even got my little gloves on standby.

I only have one minor query that i think i have answered myself. Two drinks stations five miles apart may not be enough for me as i like a drink on the run but hate carrying even the special bottles. I'm going to go for a jelly baby at every mile and be tough and wait for the drinks station where I intend to take on lots.

Crikey, I'm thinking of everything now. (won't bother you all with my anti-wedgie pants dilemma - that one's strictly for the girls)

Parmesan element of the feast signing off. Need a glass of red to wash it all down.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Little Lou, I have a reasonable excuse-it was a planned day out with my husband taking in the race as part of the day. Unfortunately he now has to work and I don't fancy driving 21/2 hrs for a race on my own. I'm doing a local 10 mile race instead.

• Options
    hi everyone , weather seems to be getting colder i am off to get a long sleeved t as think may need it will also dig out gloves. we girls have so many things to think of before we run! with you on the wedgie thing.... well hopefully will meet up with some of you on the day. good luck!
  • Options
    hilly, why don't you run to Gosport? With the miles you knock out, I'm sure it'd be a breeze. No parking difficulties either :-) Best of luck with your race, sorry we're missing out on you.

Right now, "It's a veritable pasta-party of camaraderie, each of us a valuable ingredient that adds to the distinctive flavour of the impending event."

Bagsy not be the parmesan. Pure Genius Lou! As well as your wine, award yourself a pint of Guiness. Might help with your pants problem too, whatever that happens to be (?) Please don't elaborate.

Jaycee, you're a brave man to be wearing a vest. Will it fit over a ski jacket? If so, you're sorted. I'm at work now, takes me over an hour to drive here, and the temperature touched down to minus 5. We'll all be stooping at that temperature! Let's hope 11am on Sunday is a bit warmer.
  • Options
    Arrghhh!! Another one speaks of this "wedgie thing". Please ladies, stop. It's making me gag, and I don't even know what it means!

BDB, I think you're gonna need to ditch the hotpants idea. Jack Frost dictates.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Lol glycogen-free-"wedgie thing", you don't want to know:o)

BTW, I'm not sure running down the M27 would be wise, so I'll stick to the country lanes!
  • Options
    Brrrrrrr it's a bit chilly!

Glad to hear you're not injured Hilly - good luck for your race.

Love the meterphor Little Lou, or is it a similly? I don't usually get photgraphed at races either. That particular one was probably because we were towards the back in open space. I'm usually a bit further up the field in the think of it so don't get picked out.

I didn't have a very successful shopping trip. The only thermal type top they had didn't feel right so I'll be wearing something I've already got. Still managed to spend most of the credit note on socks and gloves and hat.

I'm feeling very calm about this too and looking forward to getting out there Sunday morning, hopefully saying hi to a few of you and seeing how the training has paid off.

Where are the water stations? I really should of read my race pack by now!
  • Options
    Oh! Please don't spoil my day by talking about 'training'. By Sunday 11am, I'll have done 1/3 mile in 9 days. How's that for preparation? Gulp.

ooohh, I can hear the twang of my achilles and grind of my hip already..... or will it be more of a "schlock" if it dislocates?

:-)
  • Options
    Sorry Glyco.

Have you been stretching? Of course you have - we all make sure we do that even if we are laid up with an injury don't we ;)

What's your jelly baby stratergy Little Lou? I tend to start on them after about an hour and do 3 every 15 mins or so. I'll have downed 1/2 - 1 litre of lucazade before the statt so that should keep me sugared up for the first hour. I find it's a bit of a fumble to keep taking them every mile.
  • Options
    Have you tried the 60 gram sachets of energy gel (eg. SIS/Go)? I took one during a 16 mile training run and it made a noticeable difference. Like fuel injection. You could try taking one of those half way around.

Of course I haven't been stretching. I don't follow any of my own advice! Might do some tonight though... outstretched arm, open palm, engage can, grasp and then up to the mouth. Easy does it. Might do quite a few of those.
  • Options
    I like your style! Mind you don't strain your index finger pulling the tab back though.

I've not tried gels. I've always been put off by the glupy, stickiness of them. I'm going ot have to give them a go when the marathon training starts.
  • Options
    I've not tried gels either and race day is not a good time to experiment so I too will save that til marathon training.

BDB, water stations are at 5 and 10.5 miles.

Re the jelly babies. I was simply going to reward myself with one every mile, but agree it might be fiddly. Dextrose tablets make me feel ill so I'm in a quandary so to speak.

Hilly, glad you're fit and well, hope your 10m goes well.

gf, 2 weeks of rest is likely to put a highly positive spring in your step on Sunday. er, yes?