Options

Gosport Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Hopefully Lou, but I'll need to do one hell of a warm-up to avoid certain failure. Achilles and hip are both still dodgy, so it could end up painful. We'll see.
  • Options
    I really sympathise. It's pre-race stress that you could do without. If it gets painful, will you stop or carry on and suffer if possible?
  • Options
    I will suffer! Ooh, until I get near a pub....
  • Options
    Little Lou - if you've used jeyy babies before, stick with them. As you say, race day is not the place to experiment. They're fiddly for me as they are in a plastic bag in the little back pocket on my shorts. Plus I'm a bit greedy so I litle to have several at once.

I used to suffer with calf problems until I targeted them with weight training, but would use Deep Heat spray to help warm them up. Seemed to work.

Glyco - you've got to earn that roast dinner some how, so no backing out.
  • Options
    Yep, the deep heat is packed BDB. Might use some strapping too. I'm not backing out, honest gov! See you on Sunday.
  • Options
    Just been and got weekend supplies - nice food and champers for Sunday when we get home, bottles of water, lucazade powder, Vaseline, cereal bars, slimfast (great for post run recovery) and jelly babies. Would be easier to just take bus fare and take a ride around the course!

Safe journeys everyone. If I don't get to say hi on Sunday, hope everything goes well for you all.
  • Options
    ooh, organised!

I, in the meantime, have chosen a nice little pair of earings (very discrete and undangly), tinted lipsalve and a nice bobble for my hair. I am now fully prepared.

Yes, safe trip all of you, hope to see you there.
  • Options
    And I've chosen some nice nail varnish... british racing green!

Enjoy your Saturday. See you at the race.
  • Options
    Just pondering whether to cycle to the race - it's only about 8 or 9 miles for me. I'll probably decide on Saturday to go on the bike, but change my mind on Sunday and drive (as usual).

The more difficult decision is shorts or longs, shirt or vest - and to think that my last three races have all suffered from being over-hot. Well not that bad for the GSR, but a bit hot for the time of year anyway.

Ponder ponder ponder... I'm just about to go out for my last little gentle 3-miler to keep the bits moving. I might get some idea on attire from that (or maybe not).
  • Options
    Cor, you've not been on here for ages Brian. It's f-f-f-freezing tonight. But I'm reckoning on t-shirt and shorts, expecting a cold start but warm after a mile or two. It's an 11am start, so it shouldn't be as c-c-c-cold as it is tonight!

Good luck on Sunday.
  • Options
    Well I'm back. A bit of a delay getting out, I haven't really taken over an hour for my 3.2 miles!

As I thought, it was c-c-c-cold with a capital F when I went out, but the uphill section in mile 2 soon sorted that out.

Only problem was a shooting pain in my big toe as I jinked around one of those chicane type barriers that are meant to stop kids running out into the road. Optimistic that it's not a real problem, but I'm going to put my feet up for a while anyway.

Just like to say good luck to everyone for Sunday.
  • Options
    Crikey, g-f, BDB & LL - do you ever do any work?!!! (Just jealous - I've had a week long meeting this week and I'm pooped)

Anyway, here I am at Gosport last year Go here and look for race number 255 Nice cheesy photos!!
  • Options
    Blackers,
    Lots of shorts and bare shoulders in those pics. Was it warmer than this year?
  • Options
    Blimey yes, I was going to wear tights and long sleeve t. Err...

So, does this mean there will be photos this year? I may have to rethink my lipstick colour. And perhaps I should go for the green t rather than the black.

Oh now you've done it Blackers...

(Yes, I for one do work - but this week i seem to have based it around my thread notifications! as they say in the Disneyworld ad, 'i'm so excited')
  • Options
    Oooooh errrr! Bit colder here than the Algarve!! Hope shorts will be okay. Haven't worn my tights this winter yet and don't want to risk "chafing" issues!

Good luck peeps!
  • Options
    Walked to the station at ten o'clock this morning. Jolly, jolly cold. Reconsidering the vest idea, and even wavering on the shorts. Whole running wardrobe of several layers into the back of the car; decision in the car park tomorrow morning, I guess. Problem is, the standing about sure is cold, but we shall warm up in the race.

Good luck all.
  • Options
    Yes, it's def the standing about bit that's bothering me. I'm pretty sure I'll be fine once done a bit of the race but it's going to be chilly beforehand.
  • Options
    Just seen the BBC weather forecast and (g-f)just tried the vest over several layers up to and including the ski jacket. And found a woolly hat. At least doesn't look like extra wind-chill factor.

I think it will depend on when and how much the sun comes out. Here it didn't shine at all today and hardly got up to zero; the other side of Reading it was bright sun and 6-8 degrees.

Just printed out the runners and riders and form guide.

Good luck all.
  • Options
    brass monkeys in bournemouth this morning ! bring it on !!!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Good luck all! I'm sure you'll be fine with a thermo t-shirt under the vest, shorts and gloves. It's surprising how quick you warm up in a race.
  • Options
    Good luck to everyone running.

:( cold has got the better of me - woke up with eyelids gunked together and huge amounts of phle ... yes well anyway ... more info than you needed. Will still be there because we promised the kids they could do the fun run.
  • Options
    A PB by over 4 minutes!

But it was bloody hard work. Had a very tough couple of miles around 10-12, probably tied up with the fact that it was the second time around.

Some of the mile markers seemed a bit erratic, so it's a bit difficult to work out what my real pace was.

How were all the injuries/ailments? Did you run? Did you finish? I finished up feeling stiff as a board - still do, even after a soak in the bath.

The cold weather turned out to be a bit of a non-event, probably because there was no biting wind.

Anyway, congratulations to all those who ran/finished. Looking forward to hearing your accounts.
  • Options
    Hi all

I bottled it I'm afraid. Injuries and illness meant no runs in two weeks and I felt undertrained so thought the time was best spent with my family rather than injuring myself further trying to run 13 miles. I'm a bit annoyed as it was such a lovely day and I've been looking forward to this for a while.

Hope you all did well - what next for the southern section of the forum?

• Options
    Well done BrianM. I also broke my half marathon pb by 4 mins. Was managing 7 min miling (+/- 10 secs) until mile 12 when I started to struggle but managed to hang on for a 1:31:30.

Will definitely be back next year as the dorset and new forest half marathons newar me are all "undulating" !!
  • Options
    hi you two are speedy was my first half pleased with 202 will also be back next year, but what to aim for now, didnt get in london so need a new goal! well done all.
  • Options
    Well haven't posted on here for a while as I did not know if I would make it.
    Weather was ideal(glad I chose shorts and runners vest),marshals superb and managed a pb by 3 mins (1:39)and 20 mins off last year.
    Glad everyone else who ran had a good race
    and definitely hope to do it again next year.
    Mmmm what should I enter next???
  • Options
    Hayling 10 next weekend? :)

I'll be there if I can shake this cold.
  • Options
    Probably a bit soon for me Blackers,
    especially the way I feel at the moment!
    Forgot to thank you for posting the link for last years photos.God I look ghastly!
    Hope this years are better.
    Does anyone know when the results will be uploaded?
  • Options
    Hi All,
    A very enjoyable race in ideal conditions, well organised with great marshalling
    managed a p.b by about 30 seconds so fairly pleased with that.
    I have to agree about a couple of dodgy mile markers notably 4 & 12
    All in all though a great event

One quick question to the locals. Is the traffic always that bad coming out of Gosport?
  • Options
    yes! traffic always bad, best to go along to lee on solent and out that way!