Options

Gosport Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Poor you Hendo. Hope you are feeling a bit better today.
  • Options
    Swimsarah and Hendo. Don't panic yet. I had a bad cold last weekend, felt dreadful Sat, Sun and Mon, and reluctantly (but probably wisely) didn't run the Marlow half. However, by mid week I had a short run, and a good run this weekend. Human body recovers remarkably quickly, most times.
  • Options
    BDB - the ferry runs until about half eleven from what I remember - any later and its either the fishing boat or a very very expensive cab ride back!

I'm still lurking on this thread even though I'm not 100% sure I'll be there on the day. Had a weeks complete enforced rest with the scarlet fever, then it took another two weeks before I was back to 'pre-fever' levels. I know I'll get round on the day, but I also know I won't be at my fittest so maybe won't do myself justice. But I've got a number now so don't want to drop out!

That said, I'd rather they hadn't sent me the map of the course. The road alongside Haslar is possibly the dullest in the known universe (unless you like counting bricks) and two crossings of Haslar 'Pneumonia' Bridge could be testing to say the least!

I still stand by my 2:30, but that'll be a walk-run effort whilst hoping for a tailwind!

EE
  • Options
    Hey everyone (especially swimsarah)! I'm a bit concerned that a few of us are taking this race too seriously, like it's an exam or something.

Right, to help you get everything back into perspective, I wrote a poem that neither rhymes or has any kind of structure (well ok, it's not really a poem... tee hee):

this is a hobby,
    we do it by choice,
    no-one has inflicted this upon us,
    if we want to stop, we can,
    if we want to run slowly, we can,
    we're all fitter than average,
    we should be enjoying this,
    we shouldn't be obsessed by our performance.
    let's smile about it, not worry ourselves silly.
    to all the people watching, we'll all be heros on the day.

Ooh, I'm making myself cry now. ;-)

• Options
    Morning all.

Well I'm at work today but I don't think I'll be here for long. Feel pretty dreadful and can barely move my head as my neck is so sore/stiff. Still, the sports massage I had on Friday has made my legs feel better!

I'll still be there on Sunday though, I'll be the one plodding around near the back looking knackered!
  • Options
    Hendo, sorry you're under the clouds right now. Hopefully by the time Sunday arrives you'll be over the worst of it. I know how it feels to get a cold just before a race. It happened to me 2 weeks ago at Worksop. I had a fever the night before the race, then it rained during the whole run. Your timing is a little better than that, as you should be much better by Sunday. Hang in there, matey.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear so many are suffering at the moment - hoep you all improve by the weekend.

As for me, I'm doing OK and looking forward to Sunday. Hope it stays dry - anyone seen a forcast?
  • Options
    Erm, I'm not sure how to break this to you... rain and snow on Saturday (9 degrees), scattered showers at 11 degrees on Sunday. Go to weather.co.uk if you don't believe me, although I find it hard to believe myself that's it's going to snow.

But on the bright side, the forecasts are really inaccurate that far in advance.
  • Options
    I was dissapointed to read we get no physiological benefit from a long run till 2/3 weeks afterwards, particulary as I did 14 miles yesterday in preparation for Gosport, and I can hardly walk today!

In addition given the weather we are due to be chilly and wet…. but at least I haven’t a cold, not yet anyway.
  • Options
    Snow? Rain? Unpeak fitness? We're dropping like flies... Well, I am looking forward to this regardless of weather etc. It's my first half and I WILL 'ENJOY' IT. More than anything else, I've thoroughly enjoyed chatting with you lot and even through my knackeredness on the day I will be remembering that you'll all be on the same course as me on the day, albeit a lot further up.

Deep down I'm thinking that my lack of fear is largely down to denial...

Glyco, you are a true laureate. I will chant this mantra as I plod.

• Options
    I've got a cold but I plan to eradicate it through liberal use of alcohol.

Still looking forward to Sun..
  • Options
    By the power of positive thought I'm beginning to think that removing the "i must push myself to challenge my PB" thoughts will lead me to enjoy this more...

2:10 anyone?
  • Options
    Hendo, i did the GSR in 1.31 despite two weeks' rest for injury so am i being unrealistic to aim for 2hrs here? I've not done any long runs since GSR but am averaging 8.45 min mile pace on my regular 5 mile XC runs. But God only knows how long i can keep that up on the day!
  • Options
    Tee hee Blackers! Nice theory... blitz the cold virus with alcohol. I never thought of that. You watch the number of hankies at Sunday's line-up. The trailing runners are gonna find it rather slippy underfoot :-)

Ian, maybe no real physiological benefit, but certainly a psycological one. Now you can run around the course thinking "not as far as last week". See, every cloud has a silver lining!

Lou, poetry is not one of my skills, but you get the idea, eh? Certainly a good thing to look forward to your race! And I thought it was a nice idea of yours to make your name visible on your person somewhere. We always post our numbers, but no-one remembers them. It'd be good to see a few faces, despite their looks of utter fear and regret moments before the starting gun!
  • Options
    Well, I've just done my last run before Sunday and am off on me hols' tomorrow morning. Do we think 4 days conspicuous consumption in the Algarve is a good training plan?...... no, we thought not..... :o)
  • Options
    Hendo, if you're feeling off-form, then it's good to take the pressure away. Push the PB ideas aside and just see how you feel on the day. A 2:10 with a smile is better than a 2:00 of hell.
  • Options
    Cool Rachael. I like your style, now that's what I call a 'taper'. The extra rays will empower your running. You'll be... well... solar powered. Enjoy!
  • Options
    hi all me again liked your poem gf - i think that all these last minute jitters are part of it for me anyway, i work myself into a state drive my hubby mad saying that i cant do it then on the day visit the loos 100 times, but once running and nearing finish feel chuffed having made it round, little lou its my fist half too so am looking forward to it.
  • Options
    Everyone does that, you're not alone. Sorry to have subjected you to my poetry, that was a bit cruel :-)
  • Options
    well we are only human!! just seen weather gonna be dry and sunny and cold! going out for a little run after dropping kids at school before work!have a good day.
  • Options
    Dry and cold? That's more like it!

How's everyone feeling today? Hope the colds and strains etc are abating. Did a gentle 4 miler in the tready last night and it felt good. Doing 6/10k tonight on the tready again which will be hard then just a gentle 5 miler outside on Friday and that's me ready for Sunday.

I've made the mistake of working out what my time would be if I did the same pace I did at GSR. If I keep that pace I'd come home in about 1:36. Whilst that is possible, I've got to put that out of my mind and keep focus on 1:42.
  • Options
    BDB - yes i did the same sort of pace calculation - bit misleading when i realise that i've never actually run more than 10m - and that was the GSR this year. My prediction was 2.01 at that pace so I may have to revise mine to 2.15 which is still probably quite optimistic.

Anyway, husband just taking me for a quick drive around the course (aaah) so I'll report back shortly - if I haven't given up on the idea completely when I see it for real...
  • Options
    You'll be fine Little Lou. Just take it easy and enjoy it. The temperature will be a lot kinder to us than it was at the GSR.

Be interesting to find out what the course is like, although it's too late to throw in a load of hill training I suppose.
  • Options
    Flat and dull, that's the feedback we've received so far from the course. So you won't need your hill training, BDB.

It's not a mistake to use your GSR pace to predict your possibility on the half mara. It just means that subconsciously, you set yourself the goal of 1:36, get worked up to it, don't sleep well and are really nervous on the day...

...just kidding. Erm, question though: was the GSR a flat course too?

• Options
    As a pan cake glyco - it's just across the way from Gosport. I think the temperature on the day at Portsmouth (GST) and traffic made me miss out on a PB by 5 seconds, so Gosport should see me in in time. I've been expecting a few PBs this year and not quite got what I thought so trying to not set myself up for a disappointment. Current PB for half is 1:45:08 in September on a hilly course on a blistering hot day, so I'm confident that Sunday will be much better. Just want to be able to enjoy the achivement if all goes well without having the nagging feeling that I should have done better, if you know what I mean. I tend not to beat myself up over times though so although I've rambled on about it today, it;s not really bugging me. Honest!
  • Options
    I just had a look BDB, the GSR is flat. But 16,000 runners? Wow. Bet it was a crowded and slow start, so you did well to run at that pace. I reckon you're being a bit modest with your target time of 1:42. So I'm putting you down for a 1:38.

Now then, assuming that my injuries are fixed in time, I'm gonna use you for pacing. That means I'll hopefully get in before 1:40, just behind you. So don't let me down BDB, keep an eye on your watch!! I'll be 10 metres behind you, every step of the way. tee hee!

As for my injuries, I think I'm going to try an easy 10K tonight to see how it feels. If it hurts, that's it, I'm in trouble. If it's OK, then just one more 10K on Thursday, and nothing else. I'm disappointed to have messed up my training last week, as it's cost me a couple of minutes no doubt.
  • Options
    It's not so dull you get to run by the Solent twice I think, and you cross a bridge by a harbour with boats and stuff.

And there's a few nice pubs for afterwards
  • Options
    Oh that's more like it Ian, thanks for sprucing it up. Others have really played it down, so I hope you're right.
  • Options
    GSR is in effect 3 seperate races of 5-6000 each started in 3 waves. I started towards the back of the first wave so did get a little caught up in places. It's a great event though so pencil it into your diary for next year. You'll score points for suggesting a visit to the your in laws!

I'd rest tonight if I were you and just have a gentle one on Thursday to see how things feel and to loosen up. You're not going to loose anything by resting an extra couple of days, but could harm yourself if not fully recovered.
  • Options
    It's good that they divide the field. I couldn't imagine 16,000 starting together.
    I'll keep it in mind for next year.

As for injury: Arrghh, I know you're right. I know, I know. And I always do this, never put enough time aside to recover from injury and so carry them for weeks or months.

I'm trying to justify tonight's run on the grounds that it's my shortest running distance, and I'm going to pick the flatest route available to me (just a couple of hills). And if I don't run soon, my legs are twitching so much they're gonna detach themselves in the night and run off by themselves....