Options

Numpty IM Bike Thread

Comments

• Options
    JD - most of the sites that D74 recommends also sell Campag - if you know what groupset you want just shop about.......we have Centaur on the hack bikes and Chorus on the racers........but the Veloce is equally as good as an entry level groupo. if you have the dosh - splash out on the SuperRecord 11 speed for some uberponcery!!
  • Options

ta fb.  yeah i saw the 11spd.  i didn't realise 11spd was out.  bet there will be 12spd soon as well which will be even faster eh.

might stick with the veloce, already have a veloce compact/ front mech so will reuse that.  time to have a look around.

• Options
    SR11 was used by the pros last spring/summer- hit the mainstream around autumn. saw some bikes with it on at the Bike Show - very lovely piece of kit but what a frigging price!! about £1400 for the set....

the cassette is the same size as a 10 so they've managed to pack an extra ring in there
  • Options

Sorry, been w*rking all day.  JD, yep suggesting that in the grand scheme of things then buying the groupset as a package is actually the best value once you've decided to get new shifters in my view. 

The package from Merlin came with everything, chain, cables, BB, brakes, shifters, mechs and chainset.  Nicely boxed up and very  well wrapped.  Just add frame, saddle and wheelsimage

• Options

JD - is your picure a self portrait?   Wow!  Good effort.

er.. be related question.  Has anone got a view on the Met Elfo Pink Flowers Helmet which is suposed to protect the fontanel? No thought not 

• Options
    Hello lovely peeps image

Question - what do I need to take out on long rides? I currently take a snack and a spare inner tube and obvs a pump on bike... although I think I need to practice being able to change an inner tube. Last time I had to do it it took me literally an hour! image I get worried that I will get a puncture and will be stranded!
  • Options

Multitool, tyre levers,a fiver, puncture repair kit, cos more than one puncture and it is game over, and your mobile!

That covers most eventualities. Maybe something to stuff in to a split tyre, although its never happened to me, which you can also use if your rim tape gives up the ghost, which has happened to me. And possibly a chain tool and link for a busted chain, again not happened to me.

• Options
    *whoooooshhhh* some of that went over my head Bassy! Okay, I have a puncture repair kit which has tyre levers in it. What's rim tape? Oooh I am scared about having a busted chain - I think I would defo call for assistance in that instance!! Thanks muchly image
  • Options

When you take your type off theres a line of tape on the inside of the rim which stops either

A... the spoke ends rubbing on the tube or in modern rims

B.... the tube being forced by pressure into the spoke well. This tape whilst very cheap is also very vital for the above reasons. What happened in my case was the tape split, the tube forced itself into the spoke hole and literally went "BANG". by stuffing a bit of card between the new tube and the hole in the rim tape it solved thep roblem short term and I cycled home. Same with a split tyre, if the tube can force itself through the gap it will, it will then balloon out and ... pop.

So with a bit of sturdy card or plastic or something you can shove it across the tyre hole inside the tyre , and thus stop the tube forcing out. A short term fix, but a get you home one.

Chain tools are ok if you know how to use them, but chain failure is fairly unlikely in the grand scheme of things. Unless you are David Millar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIW1MAvyPD4

And dont do that to your bike after either!

• Options
    So he wasn't happy about that then??!! I won't be throwing my pretty bike anywhere!!

Okay so I am taking notes on your post, thanks Bassy!
  • Options

How about these bike modifications here

Idea for a brick session

http://blog.wired.com/photos/uncategorized/2009/02/24/treadmill_bike.jpg

Or the end of the tubs vs clinchers debate

http://blog.wired.com/photos/uncategorized/2009/02/24/bikekill004.jpg

• Options

Hello - long time reader, first time caller image

I have a question for all you bike gurus - I was given a Focus carbon frame last night (it's so light!) but it's been in an accident - I'm not sure if it would need it, but is anyone aware of a company that repairs carbon frames?

• Options

And that's why you were given it.... Harvest the parts, bin the frame.

A new frame can be acquired from £300 upwards, but to get it into a bike will cost another £300 at least.  So depending on what else was damaged then you can transplant all the mechanicals and get a half priced bike.

Carbon frames aren't repariable in a safe and economic manner unlike metal frames which generally can be saved.

• Options
    Dunc - HH says he was given the frame which would indicate no bits to strip off.........

HH - you can get carbon patched and strengthened but it will depend what/where the damage is and whether the cost of repair makes it viable. if the problem is in a key area like bottom bracket, frame joints etc then it's not going to be worth it - if it's a small crack on a tube, then maybe.......

but tbh - I'd get a new one to play safe
  • Options

Cheers for your answers image

It's just the frame - insurance bought a whole new bike for him, so he wasn't that fussed about trying to sell it.....he said he may have one or two bits off the bike in his shed.....

• Options
    where and what is the damage hh??
  • Options
    It's on the top tube, maybe 4" from the head tube, seems to be a small-ish crack.  Of course, I haven't looked at it for at least 14 hours so my recollection is probably warped - old age is a bad thing lol
  • Options
    it might be worth asking for a professional opinion from a decent bike mechanic as it doesn't sound that bad and it's not a key location for stress...........

but the problem with carbon cracks is propogation - they can spread and if it takes another hit with you on it it could break catastrophically which might hurt!
  • Options

Not a cat in hells chance you'd see me riding on that.  Carbon fails catastrophiocally (in teh sense of sudden and total loss of shape / strength) and not in a slow bending or development of a crack on a metal frame. 

• Options
    to an extent I agree Dunc but then you and I are bloaters compared to HH............a good repair could help salvage the frame
  • Options
    nasty case of diarrhoea do that??
  • Options
    Lol - actually, too much running image
  • Options
    Ok, but that means we have more padding when it all falls to peices on the road infront of a car.
  • Options

So do the carbon frames go suddenly when they go image a bit like this then

Second attempt

• Options
    I'm not planning on going that fast image
  • Options
    That was just the warm up image
  • Options

gotta carbon seatpost.  do you guys use a torque wrench with carbon?  which one?

also, am i right in thinking that it's bad to have a carbon stem and then carbon handlebars?  something about it slipping i think?  also can you put clip on tribars onto carbon handlebars?

• Options

"gotta carbon seatpost.  do you guys use a torque wrench with carbon?  which one?"

I don't bother - I'm just a bit more careful. 

"also, am i right in thinking that it's bad to have a carbon stem and then carbon handlebars?  something about it slipping i think? "

Can't see why - you could always use some of that carbon assembly compound if you were worried.  

"also can you put clip on tribars onto carbon handlebars?"

Not sure, I'd be a bit apprehensive about it and I think at least some carbon bars advise not to - plus some are shaped so you can't anyway.     I think if I was going to do that then I might reconsider whether I needed a torque wrench.