Options

Tywyn Race the Train 2006

Comments

• Options
    Mango:

perhaps with your grand history of RTT you wouldn't mind answering some hitherto unanswered questions on this thread including;

is it easy to find parking?
    is arriving 45 minutes before the race sufficient?
  • Options
    Another question for the vets: what drinks are supplied, if any or do we need to carry our own - soz cant seem to find info on website.

Is party really pants?? Boo hoo.
  • Options
    off on hols tomorrow and only back on Thursday night, so shall see you all on Sat, good luck everybody. Hope we all have a great run and that you get the time you want.
  • Options
    hi all

parking is pretty easy - you'll be directed to a school playing feild about 1/2 mile from start.

drinks stations are plentiful, but taking your own wouldn't hurt, as they can be a little sporadic at times

45 mins before probably a little too late, but it could be done if you don't want the prre race atmosphere etc

also, to quote a song by barnes & barnes [and mix up fitn's question a bit!!] - there's a party in my pants and i want you all to come!!
  • Options
    Bring it Onnnnnn!
    I wonder if they have the parachute display team this year, or just the helicopters? BBC again?

I'm looking forward to the beer and nosh up. The party's ace with a few jars inside.
  • Options
    Cheers Mr Phil.

I'm getting all excited.

• Options
    If there's enough forumites we'll make our own party anyway so even if it is pants I'll hang around for at least an hour or two and it would be great to meet peeps.

A variation on the gren ribbon idea is to download this badge/logo - scribble your forum name on it and pin it to your shirt.

Logo badge
  • Options
    Hmmm, still deliberating over this!!! A little more positive as I managed a 12.5M on Tues in 1:40 which is the furthest I've done since FLM. It has made me feel more positive about distance but I need to bare in mind that this was a flat canal run (slightly different from the event eh!!). May attempt a 15M next before next Tues and judge by that!?!!?
  • Options
    running caz - I'd say you are more than capable, races generally bring that liittle bit extra out in all of us and hills are just the same as flat road but on more of an incline.

Just pinned my race number and green ribbon to my race vest.

• Options
    I'm not big enough to waer a logo that size!!!!!!!

(being not very computer literate - do I have to do something to it besides pressing print?????)
  • Options
    Probably reducing it in size might be a good idea ! :) (look along the menus of your picture program and find resize)

I havn't found anything green yet so probably this badge will be it.
  • Options
    I've been talking to a club mate who did this race last year and ran 1:51:59 and never beat the train and he is a far better runner than me.

So I'm hoping he just had a seriously bad day.

1 week to go.
  • Options
    Just one tip I learned from last year, for those in with a chance. If you hear the train whistle once you've left the "country", it's time to put the hammer down for the last 2 miles. The train hoots at its final stop, just outside Tywyn. You've got to charge home, not give up.

I think that sub 2 beats the second train though.

I'm getting excited.
  • Options
    Russell Eaton said " There is also quite a steep hill at about 11 miles which saps any remaining strength you may have." So I'm hoping it's downhill or flat from that point.

How much of the return leg is run along the outwards route?

Cheers, equally excited Chris.
  • Options
    Just follow the person in front......

I'm now somewhere between excited and panic stricken. A knot has tightened up in my back, to one side of the lumbar region. It means that every step I try and run really jars. Today's planned 20 miler was canned before I reached the end of my drive. I'd only done 1 mile. ;-)

Seriously, I'd only done 5 seconds. I need a physio...quickly.

Oh well, I'm in better shape than 200minutes. Get better soon Dave.
  • Options
    not much of the return leg is run on the outward route, possibly 2 or 3 miles I'd guess.After the hill at 11 most of the long winding country lane that takes you back into Tywyn is slightly uphill then there's the last big hill that takes you up into Tywyn itself, although the last couple of 100 yards that brings you to the finishing field is downhill:)
  • Options
    I was hoping for some nice downhills on the way back in because I think I'll need that little bit of help from gravity to keep my pace up.

Well we'll see, not long now, taking it really easy next week, like I was supposed to do this week, just got in from a hilly 11-12 miler off road giving me a total for the week of 61 miles.

toot toot!
  • Options
    Couple of points :
    Massages are available in one of the tents at the end ( I whimpered a bit last year and put two guys off haviing one)

isotonic drinks are given out as well as water at some of the drink stations.

• Options
    Lets hope the weather was like today, nice and cool with a light rain, ideal.
  • Options
    I may need a massage a the end, but I definitely need on NOW> :-(
  • Options
    Marshallini. Actually rode on the train yesterday. It doesn't appear to go that quickly but it is quicker than most runners! When you leave the country bit of the race, there is a longish drag up a country lane before you join the main road back in to Tywyn. This lane is predominately up hill with the final 1/2 mile downhill back on to the field. In 2002 my fastest 1/2 marathon was 1 hr 22 mins 30 secs (Wilmslow) and I finished the race in 1 hr 59 mins!
  • Options
    Cheers Russell, My best 1/2 is 1:26.55 at Helsby/Four Villages this year, that time's not a true indication of my abilty so I still remain optimistic.

Toot, toot.......
  • Options
    I've re-read the course description and tried to follow it on an OS map and I think I've got it pretty close now, not that that's going to do me much good.

I still think the course holds no major obstacles to posting a good train beating time.

(think positive, think postive.......)
  • Options
    This appeared on my running club forum;

Not wanting to blow this "beating the train" race out of proportion but check out the following odds now available for Saturday's race:
    Chris to beat the train: 2/1
    Chris not to beat the train 4/1
    Chris to go out too hard for the first 5 miles and the train to catch him 7/4 On
    Chris to catch the train half way into the race then jump on it to the finish 15/1
    Chris to give his number to me at the last minute then wait for the results 100/1
  • Options
    Doh, can't make this one now :-( Will see if I can defer to next year!?!?!

Enjoy everyone!!!

Have a good one WA and let me know how it goes!! :-) I will keep my fingers crossed for overcast and maybe a slight refreshing drizzle for you ;-)
  • Options
    Physio booked for Tomorrow eve. It's going to be a tight programme to get there.

I've not run for several days and my back is slowly improving. Can I call this a taper?

Toot toot!
  • Options

Hey Caz, sorry you can't be there then :-( Please do keep your fingers crossed for me, I am hoping for good running weather.
  • Options
    Weather report says 16 degrees cloudy possible showers.

Sounds ok.

Toot toot!
  • Options
    Toot toot!

Ran last night with the fast lads from the club and got dropped on the canal, but the last 3 miles I really turned it around and even with the uphill bit I managed to catch and pass some of them.

A good confidence builder for Saturday, but I do need to take it easy from here on in.

Latest weather;
    Wind:From the West Southwest at 10 mph.
    So by my reckoning it'll in your face on the way back might be a problem depending how sheltered the course is.

Toot toot!