Options

Training for half marathon.

Comments

• Options

Training starts in earnest today - with a no run day. image ow swim in the sea and 13 mile cycle commute this eve. Housework this morn and some core if I can find some floor space - washing everywhere, great thunder and lightening last night though. image

My legs are really very tired, I am going to start with an easy week, I feel over during my race yesterday and I think it was simply a case of my legs not wanting to do any more, I was trying to push too hard. Needless to say I had a disaponting run. Oh well - onward and upward.

Charlie, if you are running 10 miles hilly in training in 1:36 then you are either running too fast or you are well on target for sub 2hrs - sub 1:50. as HL says - try running one of your mid week runs as a tempo run or as a steady at a slightly faster pace. The other runs should be easy runs. Don't try and push the pace of your LSR. This is how injuries happen. (read above - pushing yourself too hard on tired legs - I got away with it but I could easily have done some damage - I fell on grass during a trail race - rocks abound!)

• Options
    10miler today, feel better than I thought I would, blisters have flared up from about 7miles to that's better than normal and I think they will have drained by tomorrow which is good

Sat with my feet up with a well deserved cuppa
  • Options
    Completed my 10miles in 1:35 today, pleased with the improvement on last week. I'd be interested to know how other folks taper their training off leading up to a half marathon?
  • Options
    I'm hardly doing any running this week (HM on Sunday) but more to do with work and a "twinge" in on leg than anything else. Ran 10.8 miles yesterday, most prob 5-7 tomorrow and then rest until Sunday, not necessarily what I would plan in an ideal world but Sunday's race is going to be an easy run rather than full out race. I'm running it to keep someone else company on their first HM.....
  • Options

Charlie - I tend to carry on running but stop cycling. I will also take my Friday night swim easy rather than going flat out. I will probably also do an easy run instead of hill work.

Sun - LSR (easy run)
    Mon - swim easy
    Tue - run easy 6.5 miles
    Weds - run easy - 4 miles
    Thur - track
    Fri - swim easy
    Sat - rest
    Sun - race.

My legs take quite a beating during my swim sessions so I know I need to take it easy, it takes some time to recover fully from a swim session.

• Options

3 Weeks(ish) until my HM and training is going well. I still haven't put in the long runs that I would like, but I did manage to get a 9 mile run in at the weekend. I'm still suffering with blisters from my new shoes - although these seem worse on short fast runs (eg Park Runs) that the LSR. I am guessing that it is because I am running harder and putting more pressure on my feet.

I have been doing more Park Runs recently as part of my training plan and am pleased to see that I am improving nearly every week. My last run was another PB (26:55) although it was also the hardest run I seem to have ever done (really muggy, wet and muddy from previous nights rain, heavy legged). The RunBritain site also shows this as the hardest run I've done (SSS value highest of all my runs - note says the lower the number, the easier the faster the course on the day). So, to beat my PB on a 'slow' day is fantastic.

I have definately learned a lot about what I am doing during my training. Before I was going out for 5k's 3 times a week and wondering why nothing was changing. Now, I know how I am going to be changing my running habitswhen not training.

Can't wait for Race Day image

• Options

Hi guys new member on here who is also doing first half this year(Jedburgh)in october.

brief background.

started running in february to lose some weight and im now at target weight of 11st8,built up from scratch on thec25k programme.current mileage averages 30 mpw with weekend long run up to 10 miles at present.have done a few 3 parkruns and pbd in the 3 of them going from 23.47 to 22.13,although not raced an official 10k yet ive done a time trial and got 46.36 which i will improve on in my first official 10k(Stirling 10k)in september.

im not really following any structured programme for 10k or upcoming half,just a wee programme that suits me,2 steady,1 tempo,short recovery run and lsr at weekend.Jedburgh half is two months away and i plan to go over distance at least once on the long runs .going with my current 5 k times it gives me a predicted half of sub 1.45.the two ten milers i did were done in just under 1hour 30 at an easy pace.although if i want to get close to target time it looks like im gonna have to go at an average 8min/mile.which i feel i can do as my steady runs of 7 miles are done at an average pace of 8.10min/miles.anyway enough about me ,hope everyones training is going well and would be good to share some stories and tips with you.

regards

YC

• Options
    Just hit another miletone today, longest run 7.75 miles nice 50 mtr sprint to end( thought I'm not sure I was actually moving that fast)

My speed to day is putting me around 2hr 10 so with 5 weeks to go and a flat course I'm still hopeful of popping under 2hrs.

Miss Gee,

All my friend ever tells me to do Is fartlek & Hills, Hills & More hills!! He's been running since 14/15 is 6'3 and weighs 11 st semi pro runner.

• Options
    @Imelda Mouse & Muddypaws, thanks for the advice, I have a 10k race the week before the HM which I plan to do at a leisurely pace then just to a couple of 3 milers to run the 10k out.

I did 11.5 miles on sunday in 1hr 58 mins, it was warm, I think a combination of the extra distance and heat affected my time, I certainly felt the extra distance towards the end.
  • Options

had to cut tonights 7 miler to 4,had a little niggle round the groin top thigh area and didnt want to do anymore damage.

its a bit de moralising when you have to cut runs short due to a niggle,buts its better to be safe than sorry.ive ran through niggles before and ended up not running for 2 weeks when it developed into a full blown muscle tear.

rest it tomorrow then try some easy running on wednesday then if alls ok will try a 6 mile tempo run on thursday.im gonna finish this first half in october at target pace whatever it takes.one of my mates has betted me a case of budweiser that i wont do it in 1.45

i do love a challenge

YC

• Options

Hi - young Cowboy - do take it easy, maybe an easy run instead of a tempo and only knock the pace up if it feels ok. A groin injury usually shouldn't rule out running unless it is bad. I have a groin strain from when I used to spend my life at the gym. Running doesn't effect it which is good.

I did a full somersault over the front bars of my bike on Sunday when I came to an abrupt halt. I have bruises, cuts and grazes everywhere. I'm not sure which bit I didn't hurt, I haven't found it yet. Needless to say I banged my left knee very hard and left shoulder. I haven't done anything today except say ouch a lot. image

I feel like I have done no training for my half - I need to get my butt in gear or I wont get around. Still, I ran a total of 20 miles yesterday and also cycled 20 miles, though the last 10 I did have to push the bike up a small hill as I couldn't cycle it - too painful, wanted to be sure I wasn't going to do myself a mischief.  

Hills are good, I do a hill session on weds morn when I finish work. Then cycle home. I know when I haven't worked hard enough at the hills when I can still get home without crying. image

• Options

Hi guys.  Am new to these Forums and have just spotted this thread so thought I'd sign up.

Am doing the Jedburgh HM at the end of October (@ Young Cowboy, might see you there!).  It's my third HM but the only one that I've really trained seriously for.  Am aiming to go under 2 hours (with a previous PB of 2'12" on a busy course at last year's Great North Run).  Am following the Garmin-ready RW training plan, which seems to incorporate all the elements that I need to be doing.  Am off out to do hill work this evening, which I haven't really done before, so will see how I get on...

My only slight concern is that I'm trying to do too much and risk getting injured, but looking at what others on here are doing I'm less worried.  I'm tending to do:-

Monday: Personal Training session (usually weights, with occasional cardio)

Tuesday: Speedwork / Hills

Wednesday: Personal Training (as above)

Thursday: Easy / Steady run (currently around 5M but increasing over next few weeks and incorporating some fartlek)

Friday: Rest

Saturday: Easy / Steady run (currently around 5M but increasing over next few weeks)

Sunday: LSR (8M this weekend, then gradually increasing to 14M two weeks before race day)

Would appreciate any tips / comments as would be so thrilled to get round in less than 2 hours!!

• Options

Imelda Mouse,took it very easy this morning and did 4 easy miles and no niggles from the groin so looking good for tomorrows tempo session,which i think i will ditch in favour of a steady 6 miles with a few strides thrown in for good measure as well.

Big Cazza you any idea what the course is like at Jedburgh,been readin conflicting reports about it?

im not really fussed if its "undulating" as most of my training involves hills anyway.would be good to know beforehand though as i would mentally know what to expect

YC

• Options
    After running the Henfield Half last weekend with my daughter I'm now training a bit more seriously for my next 2 HM that I have coming up. The first one looks like it will be very hilly so I'm trying to make sure most of my runs are over similar terrain....

The one in November will be flat and on roads so after the October HM I will switch to more road training.

Had a great run Tuesday evening 8.3 miles in 1:35 total elevation gain 1,137 ft. Most of that gain is over 2.5 miles..... Ran 3 miles at my target 10k pace but I still need to work harder at the hills...
  • Options
    YC - I asked that very question (about the Jedburgh HM course) on the "Events" forum a couple of weeks ago.  Got one reply from someone who'd run a PB on the course.  It doesn't sound too bad, from her description: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages/mps/dt/4/UTN/179674/ 
  • Options

BC -Thanks for that link,dosent sound too bad altough i think i will re arrange my long runs to make sure im on a big hill at the end.at the moment the hills are mostly in the middle so il make sure im going uphill in training  at the end of the long runs,be a good boost to practice going uphill when im fatigued.

enjoy your long run at the weekend

YC

• Options

6 steady miles at 8.15 pace with a few strides thrown in for good measure.felt really comfortable but didnt want too push it too much becuse of the earlier groin niggle i had.looking forward to an 11 mile long run on sunday which i have rearranged to make sure there is a big hill at mile 9.

got to get used to training on hills when fatigued as this can only help in the upcoming half.purchased a new foam roller last week(grid triggerpoint)or something like that and i have to say the first time i used it i thought it was a bit brutal compared to my old one but after a few sessions you do get used to it.my fiend who says i wont do the half in the target 1.45 was asking me last night how training was coming along.i told him it was going great but he still dsent think i can do it.i know its my first half and i shouldnt be too concerned about a target time and just focus on finishing it,but i feel i can do it and would love to prove him wrong.

Hows everyones training coming along?

YC

• Options
    We had a hill training session at the club last night. I'm still one of the slowest there.... The warm up run is about my normal HM race pace ! I know it is good for me but I hate it at the time !
  • Options

Sounds like most of you have been putting in some serious training... I on the other hand have had a bit of a nightmare month and have managed only 3 runs in that time!!!

Someone smashed up my car at the end of July image, had minor whiplash that lasted for about a week, then spent every waking moment that I wasn't working either - looking for new cars, or arguing with insurance companies (who will it seems fleece you over even when it's not your fault!!), and all in all have felt pretty down about the whole thing.

Never mind - have rescheduled my HM to 16th October (Maidstone half) which gives me an extra 3 weeks so I can build up some miles again.  Had my first session back training last night and I was pleasantly surprised that it felt ok (only 3x1000m, but fared better than I thought I would), so hopefully in a few weeks things should be back in place.

Glad most of you have had a smoother ride than this!!

• Options

I've experienced something quite odd, and I was wondering it anyone had any similar experiences.

Up until June, I was quite happy just doing 5k and 10k training runs, very gradually improving times to sub 25min for 5k and around 52 mins for 10k. Then I signed up for the Surrey Badger half (in October) and started varying my running.

At weekends I was trying to go further (long slow run) and have got to 16k quite comfortably, and during the week I've been doing shorter runs incorporating intervals.

All well and good.

Until Tuesday, when  I thought I'd have a go at my 5k route, and found that I couldn't do it in better than 27 mins. So Thursday I tried again, and did 5k in 27.5 mins!!!!!

I know I shouldn't really be too worried about my 5k times when I'm gearing up for a HM, but I'm quite puzzled by this. Would have thought that increased fitness would naturally mean I'd be quicker around a 5k.

Just wonder if I'm pushing my old body (I'm 56) too hard, and it's just fatigue?

Any thoughts?

• Options

Hi Sandy

im no expert  but my 5k times did come down on the back of increased distance at easyish pace.

3 parkruns in edinburgh over two months

23.40, 22.52 and 22.37 were all done without any interval sessions at all just an increase in weekly mileage.

so in effect the increase in mileage should give you better times at 5k distance.but then again i might be talkin through a hole in ma arse.

good luck with your training anyway mate

YC

• Options

That's what I thought, YC.

And that's why I'm worried. Thanks anyway! 

• Options

Sandy do you have a parkrun near you?where you can do a proper 5k time trial in a race enviroment,if so it would be the best indicator of your current fitness

todays long run had to be cut short two miles into it,and had to walk back home.groin and upper thigh twanged again when running at an easy pace.on the walk back home i was limping badly and the pain was all the way down my left thigh and the front shin and foot felt numb as well.im no expert but i think this pain is sciatic as ive had a couple of flare ups of sciatica before ,but its always been in my back and glute area.im writing this severly pissed off thats its decided to show up again when my training was going so well.

sciatic flare ups in the past have always came and went in a few days(i was lucky).so am gonna give this until mondayand if numbness and pains not away yhen its a trip to the physio for me

YC

• Options
    Well today I've hit a major Mile stone, 11 miles in 1:48:23 last 1/4 m was hard, but I didn't struggle to much.

Looking for a little advise, I've got 5 weeks before the 1/2, do I do another long run like that or tame it down a bit ?

Rob.
  • Options
    5 weeks is long enough to be able to get in 1-2 more long runs, depending on what other training you're doing. If you're looking to complete, say, 12-13 miles as a psychological settler before the race, I think that can make you feel more confident on race day.
  • Options
    Thanks Sophie,

I'm going to do some tempo stuff now & more strength work as I've been neglecting it to rack up the miles.

I've been doing bit's on the T-Mill, but mainly concentrating on mileage.

Rob.
  • Options

not ran since saturdays disaster ,dont feel any pain now in my left leg but the sciatic symptoms are showing themselves as a numb shin and sole of foot,back can be a bit stiff if i sit down for too long.doctors referred me to physio but dont know when the first available appointment will be.

just gonna have to play it by ear just now or go to a private physio

so frustrating not being able to train,but hey ho theres not much i can do just now.

hows everyones training going?

• Options

Sandy - think that maybe you hit the nail on the head in a manner. more running and you are more tired. that doesn't mean that you are getting worse. If you took a rest no doubt that you could knock out a good 5k time but you are training for a half not a 5k at the moment.

Trying to run two fast runs in one week is quite hard going so don't be too despondant. You have tried to push yourself quite hard there. Be careful that you don't over do it. esp if you think your body wants a rest / easy week.

young cowboy - try the rack. image Very good for strtching. image My other half used to take his m/cycle out when his back played him up - don't know if it was the bike or the adrenaline.

Me - things not going too well, legs very tired, times very slow. Will go for another swim tomorrow then track in the evening.

• Options

Hello, can I join this thread too. I have signed up for my first HM at the end of sept - New forest. Managed 9 miles yesterday in 1 hour 15 mins, lots of hills involeved too. With previous ankle injuries I decided to try spinning 3 times per week with two arobics classes and two long runs and one tempo run and its increased my running time a huge amount. 2 months ago it took me 1 hour 15 mins to run 6 miles so that proves that not only running improves your ability to run.

Now, 1 month to go to increase the distance.......................................................

• Options

Hi MSTH - I'm doing NF as well.

The spinning and aerobics will help your Cv work and the spinning may help your pace, also will help on the hills.

sounds like your times are quite fast.