Options

Rotterdam 2006

Comments

• Options

Morning

Did everyone else give up on the site last night as well - blinking nightmare

• Options

I did... it was so slow, I lost patience...

I wanted to report back on the powertest. I pushed 290 watts, which apparently is rather good image You need to be able to push 330 watts to qualify for thinsg like the commonwealth games, just to give you some reference. It goes up in increments of 10, so I am only 40 watts away from international standard, scary!

So now I need to fulfil the promises that my powertest and cardiovascualr fitness assume, which is that I could be rather good... My heart rate bever rose about 166, which, for the power I was putting out, is apparently really low, I should have been around Max HR (which was 198 when I last measured it a couple of years back)

So my legs are much weaker than my CV system, which means there is a lot of scope and room for improvement. I just have to build up leg strength on the bike and improve my technique. My right knee position was tweaked last night and we worked on improving my pedalling technique, which had an instant result! So I shall be doing those pedalling exercises 2-3 times a week from now on.

My position on my bike is apparently good and the bike seems to suit me, so I am now looking for a similar Giant frame, but a newer, full carbon job, as well as upgrade the wheels, for racing. This will be just about affordable, if I find a suitable frame on Ebay and mayeb even wheels. The components on my current bike are high spec, so they will be swapped over. I also need my own track bike, so we can have a proper setup and according to my coach, I need to push a bigger gear on the track, which can only be achieved by having my own bike as well...

It is all very exciting, but I will have t work very hard on getting stronger and faster!

• Options
    Very exciting Han image
  • Options
    I am quite bouncy about it, yet also quite apprehensive... I do hope they are not expecting too much out of me... I may fold under the pressure...
  • Options
    Wow Han  ! It all sounds very serious. You'll end up with those funny looking thighs that Victoria Pendleton has..... Mine were going that way after the training I did last year. But my ploy of stopping completely after every event soon got rid of them again!
  • Options
    Yeah, they are already getting bulkier, according to my masseur... T is joking about it, but I do also feel my jeans are tighter around the thighs...
  • Options
    <dreams about Victoria P's thighs>
  • Options
    Have had an interesting first day back at work and went to see the Dr re my ECG that was done in Dec. He was concerned it was slightly different to normal ( I told him the reason why as I was told this by a v experienced doc last year) but he wanted to get a second opinion. Thus my trace was faxed off to a cardiologist and I got the verdict today. The good news is I don't have a dicky ticker but have Athlete's Heart Syndrome image

In my case the left side of my heart has become stronger due to my training and thus has become exercise adapted to be more efficient. Isn't the human body amazing.
    The fax from the cardiologist said "........ is clearly a highly trained endurance athlete" image

Of course he has never met me.........
  • Options
    LOL - thats quite a compliment Paul
  • Options
    Mrs a was just surprised that I actually had a heart at all.
  • Options

Your ticker might become dicky if you spend too much time dreaming of Vic P Paul!! 

Running to report. Only 4 miles ploddy with a friend but I'm not into running outside on my own in the dark so the alternative was nothing so it more miles in the bank.

I still haven't had time to properly sit down and write out a training plan, but I'm going to use the next month or so to get back into regular running (ie: more than once a week!) and not worry too much about distance or pace, then get into the usual 16 week proper schedule I've used in the past. I might adapt it slightly as I want to still do some miles on the road bike but I'll use that as cross training. 

• Options
    Advanced Marathoning is the way ahead phys, give it a try and you won't regret it.

<contemplates Rebecca R instead>
  • Options

I quite like mr Hoys quads bit too big though

• Options

Hoys quads are bigger than our top speedskaters quads, they are HUGE!!!

Paul, I am indeed surprised you have a heart image

Actually, another anecdote on the highly trained endurance athlete front... When I did my first aid course we had to take each others heart rate and breathing frequency as part fo the training. The girl that was observing me just could not get it, so she asked the instructor... as she did not get more heartbeats a minute out of me than 43 and I only breathed twice a minute... she thought she was missing something...

• Options
    I was sitting on a chair and quite relaxed, hence the low values image
  • Options

Morning

My heart rate has been down to 55 at one point and for me 65 and above is way high

Site was OK for me last night but seems to be playing up again today

• Options
    Afternoon all

Only -6C first thing this morning here, so it looks like it is warming up. Off out for a 5 mile recovery run this afternoon in the sunshine.
  • Options
    Entries for Amsterdam are going to open soon. Any thoughts here of a thread push for a weekend in the land of the clogs?
  • Options
    No thanks... too tarmaccy for me...
  • Options
    And it clashes with the OMM, if it is the end of October again this year...
  • Options
    Well I knew it would be too far for you H but you never know - supporters welcome too of course.
  • Options
    5 easy miles done image
  • Options
    Amsterdam 18 Oct 09 btw.
  • Options
    Come on, no pushing, form an orderly queue please.
  • Options

Morning

Much as I would love to do Amsterdam - no decisions can be made so far ahead -  but if I can do it closer tot eh date then i will - or just have a weekend away I like Amsterdam 

• Options
    Morning

LR planned this morning, last icy run for a while by the look of the forecast.
  • Options
    18 miler done, the big thaw has started down here.
  • Options
    I am baby sitting - 3 hours so far and there has been no tantrum and she is still alive as are all of the cats
  • Options
    XC on BBC1 now or v soon I think - Steph Twell should be running. Off to check......