Options

BUPA Great North Run 2006

Comments

• Options
    list update

not sure when the results are out in our local papers - will keep an eye out for them
  • Options
    Glad it wasnt you I saw Mum (I mean I wish I had seen you but not in those circumstances!!)

I have just checked back and I knocked over 12 minutes off last years time, so although I didnt get the time I was after, I suppose its not a bad improvement, and its somethink to aim at next year!!

The old legs are a bit stiff today. I couldnt face a run but have been out for a brisk walk to try to get them moving again. I'll try a short run later in the week.
  • Options
    CC2, yes you're doing it right.
    Th efull results database, slit by gender and 10y age ranges comes out in a few weeks. once taht is up you'll be able to get the figures you want.
    I get very excited and carried away with my spreadsheets at that time (sad I know) so if you need any help then, just ask.

12 minutes is over a mile WTS! Got to be happy (ish) with that.
  • Options
    Only just got back home, will catch up later. Just wanted to say thank you to H.A for sponsoring me.
  • Options
    Just had a look at Vicki's list. With just a quick scan of the times, it does seem that the majority of people went well over their predicted times. Perhaps a good reminder that this event should be enjoyed simply for what it is - a good day out. PBs can be set at smaller events. Having said that I was gutted not to have beaten last year's time!!!
  • Options
    2006 was my second GNR. Last year I struggled and did a run / walk thing, so I have a great deal of sympathy for those who feel the need to walk at points. What does annoy me though is when you have three or four walkers in a line across the road all chatting and blocking up the route. To me this is disrespectful to those who do want to run. We all run for different reasons and we all have different levels of ability and the GNR really highlights this.
    It would be great if all participants could remember this and respect those at the other end of the ability spectrum from themselves.
    And for the record I'm a plodder but I accept this and ensured that I was in the correct pen (orange) for the time I'd listed myself at. Yet at three miles in I was overtaking people who had been in the pen in front of me (green). Quite clearly the person had not been honest either with themself or with their entry form.

• Options
    XL - what was it you said about having three targets: one that would boast about forever, another you would be pleased with, and a third that would be acceptable - well this comes in the third catagory, but like you say, its about a minute a mile faster than last year, so at least its heading in the right direction.
    Just think, if I kept that improvement for about the next 6 years, I would be with the elites!!! (I wont hold my breath waiting though!!!)
  • Options
    That's fair enough WTS :0)
    And certinly the right direction - who knows what next year will bring?
    Especially of you concentrate on the distance ;0)
  • Options
    Oh man, my picture is on the BBC website! I look rough as anything...you can tell i found it hard..... i'm the one on the left!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tyne/content/image_galleries/gnr_06_finish_general_2_gallery.shtml?31
  • Options
    Just tried to access the full list, got most, but not all, of it. However, the list does not even include gender, let alone age category (they don't give th eyear of birth), so it isn't really much use.
  • Options
    By concentrate on the distance XL, I presume you mean by not doubling it???

I've got to say the thought of turning round and running back to the start like a full marathon didnt appeal!!!
  • Options
    Nice one O'D - your expression is a nice mixture of relief and satisfaction.
  • Options
    I tried to access it and only got the first 340 before it died. Ah well.

Just uploaded my Garmin to Sporttracks. I know it had been playing silly beggars and I spent most of the first mile trying to reset it and in the end only managed to get the last 12.1 miles of the race. It claims I did the following:-
    11.25am 14.49 miles in 1min 52 seconds somewhere in Wales
    11.27am 12.58 miles in 59 seconds somewhere else in Wales
    11.30am 0.27 miles in 2 mins 9 seconds on Central Motorway, Newcastle
    Then finally the last 12.1 miles of the race, only it had changed itself from Pace/running to Speed/bike so it claimed I only burnt 238 calories and during the run I had no idea what pace I was doing. I only found out my time because I had it texted to me.
    Technology eh?
  • Options
    Those donuts have got the better of me i think. Diet starts tomorrow.

RF - Sorry to hear about your woof, mine died last year aged 17. Very sad :-(

MOTR - you are getting quicker all the time, well done on running after your fall. I ran past a lady at the beginning just before the first tunnel who looked like she was getting patched up, her face was bleeding and all sorts ....ouch.

• Options
    Just realised, I ran with two chips. My other chip has a time of 1.50.38 and position 5652. I think I should take that one! And by some freaky coincidence, the other chip was actually registered to my colleague at work who wasn't able to train and had to pull out. Spooky!
  • Options
    Well, the cold I spent the last 2 weeks fighting off (successfully) has finally got its grip today I think. Snuffly nose has started and sore throat. Early to bed tonight I think (haven't slept well last few nights) and not back at work til tomorrow lunchtime so a nice long lay in me thinks!
  • Options
    OD I think that must have been the lady I saw as well, hope she was ok.
    Anyone heard anything else about the poor lad that died?
  • Options
    Hello everyone

Back from lovely newcastle to miserable london but never mind. Done a quick scan through all the posts but sorry I couldn't do the lot - stiff legs, if that's a good enough excuse!

Gutted to have missed my predicted time by 39 seconds but, hey, I'm going back next year, fingers crossed!

Sorry to hear about your dog Rio. And your fall Mum. Ouch!

I liked the start lots better although it was strange to be in those pens and unable to get out or see out. Not great for spectators either! Fab day though - and I got to see the new eastenders boy stretching afterwards!
  • Options
    Ah, found it again, for some reason disappeared off my notifications and i struggled to find the forum via event.

lots of WELL DONES today and they were all genuinely interested in how i'd done at work, usually i think they just put up with me ranting on about my running

On reflection happy with time considering where i started, if i'd stuck to XLs plan i might have broken 2 hrs but i though i could go for it insted of easing off after mile 8. shudda listened, will do NEXT YEAR!
  • Options
    And wow Vicki - love your speedsheet!!!
  • Options
    hiya all - been catching up on all the comments re. pens and metro and getting away and think luck must have been on my side. Set off from Sheffield at 5.30 am arriving at South Shields for 7.20 am. Parked car on a road and walked to metro. There was staff on hand who offered myself and friend a cheaper ticket alternative to two singles. Got on a tram which pulled out after a couple of minutes half empty. Walked around for over 1 hour and then about 9.30 decided to head for pens. Our green pen was filling really fast so jumped into alternative green pen on opposite side of road along with lots of others. Took 5 minutes to reach start line and that was it - running all the way. Occasionally got hemmed in but to be expected. Managed to finish in 1 hour 55 despite lack of training and even met up my gym buddy 800 m from the end. Once finished we took about 1 hour to walk to car - a bit stiffly. We then sat on dual carriageway not moving for 30 minutes. Reached roundabout and free road back. Apart from the heavens opening good trip back and back in house for 4 pm.
  • Options
    BS - wouldn't have minded watching him stretch!!!
  • Options
    I have to say he did have a very thorough approach to his stretches Mum. I definitely approved!!! So many people overlook their stretches but he was definitely making sure every muscle got a thorough stretch!
  • Options
    BS - EVERY muscle??? HHHMMMMM - got visions in my head now!
  • Options
    Actually - when I say every muscle there are some, or perhaps one group of muscles, I'm particularly remembering! But I suspect it's the same group you and Mum are thinking about too!

I was surrounded by men in towels at the time! Sorry - running does funny things to me! Or maybe I'm just revealing the reasons I run!
  • Options
    Blister Sister and MOTR - I wouldn't have minded watching him stretch either (is that sexist? Probably.)

Great photo by the way O'D!

Sorry about your nightmare fall at the start Mum, and CB.

The weather was pretty perfect for me - sunny, which always makes me feel happy (and encourages the crowds out) not windy, and a bit of rain thrown in but not so much rain that it makes the crowds go back in again.

Everyone at work has been congratulating me today (which is nice) but walking, especially down stairs, has been a nightmare. One colleague has said she'll do it with me the year after next (she's a huge rugby fan and next year is the world cup or something? I dunno)
  • Options
    aiery - i was the lad with the nike cap chatting about lance armstrong if you remember how did you get on?