Options

BUPA Great North Run 2006

Comments

• Options
    Hi Everyone,
    It didn't quite go to plan but I was just glad to run! Well done everybody! My time was a slow 2:22. I raised £377 in aid of The Anthony Noland Trust.

I wrote quite a lot about it on my Blog if you are interested: http://www.realbuzz.com/network/myBlogs/blog.php?blog=1490

I'd like to personally thank Collin Hill for such an amazing event. Organisation was sublime. Surpassed all my expectations! I'd like to thank the people of Newcastle! They are a special breed! Finally thanks to all the wonderful people on this forum.
  • Options
    Well done to everyone

what a fantastic atmosphere though it did feel strange being a spectator.had to support my sis though on such a big day :)
    ho hum my turn at the great south just got to shake this evil cold :(

wow werent the trains uber busy standing from south shields to newcastle was not too bad but then we had to stand from newcastle to london kings cross including a power failiure on the train arghhhh any one else on that train?

thankfully had a seat back to brighton and a joyfull bus ride to worthing!

how my sis (pooka imp) managed to stand after running i dont know.

me thinks hotel sunday night next time.

any way once again well done and who knows maybe see you there next year :)
  • Options
    Grumle the Goat- See you at Richmond on the 15th. And at the Abbey Dash. Possibly big social after abbey dash. Ill wear my green ribbon at both!

Right. No I still havent read back. Been emptying my in box!!
    a. Metros were not as plentiful as last year with at least 15 mins betwen some of them. We set off at the same time as last year and got there about an hour later. Last year the metros were actually q'ing up in the tunnel to get everyone there.
    b. The start was absolutely terrible from where I was stood, and had the potential to spoil my day actually. I was a pink number and could not get into the pen. The Security said that a big enough space had not been allocated for us. But why then were there dozens of white numbers around me!! As I stood at the fence deciding whether to jump over the fence with everyone else(the security guard said Id be disqualified and shed lose her job if I did, but I did after five minutes of thought about all the training I put in) some woman with a white number said in a very condescending manner "well why dont you just jump over" to which I replied "If you werent f'ing in here I wouldnt have to". I apologise to her for the f word but frankly she shouldnt have been. It created a potentially dangerous crush. And after all that to then have to overtake people before HALF A MILE just proved to me that the new system didnt work at all. And all the weaving in and out was probably what contributed to my legs going at ten miles 9 id only trained for 13!!!). So I wasnt v happy. Apologies to everyone around me who had to put up with my swearing!! But I was sooooo mad.

Right that said I had a great day and have some lovely stories to tell. Like the elderly lady in a wheelchair at 11 miles who was smiling and holding up her hand for a high five. I realised then that if she had made the effort then maybe I could keep going, though frankly I was so relieved to get to the end I was in tears. I really didnt think I was going to get there.
  • Options
    I'm with you Stoxy, i was in the pink section and couldn't get into the pen at the start, lots of other colours around us too!

The worst part was because we crossed the start line 26 minutes after the race had started i'd pretty much completely cooled down before starting running, possibly a reason for my cramp.
  • Options
    Stoxy, really sorry you had such problems at the start, i didnt find the metros too much of a problem although it was packed. Felt really sorry for the family who were on it going to Newcastle Airport for their holiday as they had to stand and with all their luggage. I was in the orange pen and although it was full and I couldnt do the warm up properly once the race started I didnt have to weave in and out of people until about mile 5 when the lanes merged. What did me in was the stincking cold I woke up with on Sunday morning, sore throat, runny nose, (in fact my nose ran faster than I did), and still is. Has a really crap run but ho hum, thats life. I think the only thing i didnt like was the way they were only opening the baggage busses one at a time, what was that all about. I had arranged to meet my dad at bus 17 if I missed him at the finish but was not allowed on that bus cos bus one was the only one open and had to use that one. Luckily my dad saw me at the end so I didnt have to worry about it. There were some people who were still waiting to put bags on busses at 10.00 when we should have been in the pens but they werent open. Something for the organisers to think about next year. But on a more positive note, this year was the first time I had my baggage label checked against my number before they would let me take my bag so well done on security.
  • Options
    Colin Hill...

If you're reading this.. first off thanks ever so much for the event, it was my first half marathong and a blast. I have been one of the few guilty on here of having a moan about the start, but it's meant as constructive criticism. True enough the race is for everyone, and it's not really the place for PBs, but you've obviously introduced the coloured zone system to try and allow people the chance to meet their own personal targets. Here are my suggestions for next year..

1) Don't allocate the coloured zones until you've received all the applications. Mine was a charity application (and so went in a little later than the ballot) and I ended up in the white zone even with a predicted time of 1hr45. This made the run very hard work for me, and I know others suffered similarly.

2) Introduce a system where slower runners who have perhaps had to drop down to a walk, or are being regularly overtaken, are encouraged to move towards the left side of the road. There will always be people slower than the people behind, and that's fair enough, but they tend to spread right the way across the track.

Just a couple of ideas which would perhaps help eveyone to get the most out of the event, no matte what their targets are.

Still had a fab time thanks! Just sending off my FLM application now, thanks to being inspired by the GNR.
  • Options
    Forgot to mention I think I ran past the poor guy who died.
  • Options
    Colin, thank you for the kind words there, and all the advice and information you've given us.
    Can I just ask if you got my e-mail witrh regard to the 2005 results? (I know youwon't have had time to do anything, would just like to know it wasn't lost by the virtual postman)
    Cheers.
  • Options
    My first GNR,absolutely amazing.I don't have any moans or niggles! Ran it in 2hrs 21,met some fantastic people,raised over £1300 for a charity close to my heart and had an emotional and uplifting day.Can't wait to do it again but will be hill training! Well done to everyone there and deepest sympathy to the family of the runner who died.
  • Options
    Stoxy - I'll wear my green ribbon and say "hi" if I see you.

I thought the fact that I didn't get to the start line until 11:15 wasn't so bad as we only just started running as we got there so didn't have to run an extra 1/2 mile or so before going over the line - I would be quite happy to walk to the start line agin next year with the masses. I do understand that it is frustrating when people can't get into their sections but when it comes down to it, it is the people with the wrong colour in the wrong pen that have probably taken your place and not the actual organisers fault - just a thought?.
  • Options
    Richard Knight- I agree. I dont want to sound like a party pooper but it really was a bad experience at the start. There seemed to be a lot of cocky people aroud me who had the arrogance to think they could just fly round in under two hours despite the fact they had done v little training. There is of course a place for all speeds, but there is no place for this sort of arrogance and ignorance. It is dangerous as well as annoying!! Of course Ill be back next year and of course I enjoyed myself (though I must admit my legs meant that the finish was less of an emotional feeling and more one of total relief!!). And as I sit here now and think about the route, now that I am back to normal, I am of course quite teary. It was an odd day for me, because the start made me angry, then I was angry with myself for getting angry (!!??), then I was angry at my legs cos I dont know what I did wrong! But I did enjoy it honestly!!!!
  • Options
    Grumle- Yes youre right it was. They shouldnt have been in the wrong pen at the end of the day. It could have been v dangerous for all of us. I understand some got the wrong colour numbers but they should have taken that up with the organisers beforehand. I am begining to think that perhaps people should have to supply some sort of training or race evidence. I dont even know whether I agree with that sort of elitism but something has got to be done to stamp out the ignorant minority. Im slower than Id like to be but I dont try to be something Im not. I am honest with myself and accept my limitations.
  • Options
    stoxy, if it's any consolation at all, there are loads of us who seem to have had that same experience at miles 9 or 10.

Even with a good start, and I have to say, as a green number I thought it was a much better start than I've had before (that isn't imply that it was entirely OK,clearly it wasn't) I got things wrong, and suufered at th e end. Comfortable at 8 miles in 1:03 - finished well outside last year's time in 1:52 - not happy, and like you and others, more than a little annoyed at myself.

Guess we know what we have to do next time.
  • Options
    I DID IT!! (my first ever race!)

2hrs 48 minutes and 32418th (or something) over the line

I have to say it was one of the best experiences of my life.

Those three hours were a whirlwind of emotions, fear, joy, pain, ectsasy, love for my fellow man, pain, hunger, pain, pain etc etc

There were times when I achieved a Zen like state to the rythms of a samba band, to becoming almost moved to tears on a couple of occasions, especially when you see people running for a cause they have lost an entire family to.

After 11 miles I was running on empty and a kid at the side of the road offered me a jelly sweet and it was the tastiest thing I had ever eaten.

Thanks also to the old woman at the 10 mile marker in a wheel chair at the side of the road who supplied PR spray and ralgex to anyone that needed it. Geordie's really are a breed apart, with a generosity of spirit I've never experienced before, hearing you name shouted 1000 times really spurs you on thru the lows.

To cross that finish line, almost in tears will remain one of my most cherished memories ever.

When are we doing the next one??????
  • Options
    Yes xl man. We are certainly not alone in struggling this year!! Everyone I spoke to on Sunday and yesterday said that they found it harder than usual (in terms of either gnr or similar mileage). I wonder if the sun had stayed out and the weather had been consistent that might have helped me. As I say all the weaving about cant have helped but I was so annoyed as I didnt just slow down I was almost walking for a couple of miles, just desperately trying not to walk. And yes I know its not a pb course and all that but I still feel I should have done better given my training this year. Lets see what happens in the Brass Monkey in January then....
  • Options
    hi all!

VillainousBob - my calf feels very tight today as well after my bout of cramp although I went out for 4 miles this morning and it was fine whilst I was running.

Hi stoxy - good to see you back on here, sorry to hear about your bad experience of the start but great to hear it didnt put you off for next year!

Grumlethegoat - I'll be at Leeds too - maybe see you there?

Colin - Thank you from me also for a fantastic event - and thanks for taking the time to join us on here to get our feedback and answer our questions etc!

• Options
    How did your friend get on Stoxy? The one who didn't train?
  • Options
    X/L says 'Guess we know what we have to do next time'

Does that mean you've already forgotten what you said to me on Sunday about maybe not doing it again next year??

;-)
  • Options
    Mandie R - Great - will you be wearing a green ribbon? - I think I may attach mine permanently to my orange T shirt and just wear it to every race:O)
  • Options
    Grumlethegoat - yes I'll be wearing my green ribbon and happy to meet up and say Hi if anyone wants to!
  • Options
    Hopester- Excellent!! Thats exactly how I felt last year!!! Part of the reason I was so annoyed with myself was that I couldnt enjoy the atmos as much cos I was concentrating on just getting round. Cant believe I found it so hard! Thought Id been so clever with my training and done everything right. Just one of those things I suppose.

Mandie- Great to meet you saturday! Thanks for making the effort!! And yes I suppose the mess up at the pink area was just something I was unfortunate enough to be caught up in! So yes Ill be back next year.
    It may have only been my second year but I feel as though I should be part of it somehow!!

Colin- It was a great weekend actually. Moving the pasta party to the quayside was an excellent idea. My mum and I thoroughly enjoyed the atmos, and watching the mile, 3 k etc runs. Especially watching Mottram fly past me as he was just about to break the record. Excellent. We were suprised though that some of the restaurants and cafes etc had decided to shut! Oh and the Red Arrows were unbelievable!!

re The cultural programme. My mum and I went to see the Stephen Gill photos which were excellent, and the short film at the Tyneside Cinema, which was absolutely brilliant and I thought captured the rollercoaster of running the gnr, or indeed running in general, perfectly. Who can I contact to tell them how much we enjoyed it all? We are going to send our photos in for the exhibition they are planning- The Running Line?? (I think)

• Options
    Hopester - well done you.. I loved it all too and I was talking to number 33889 (still trying to find out if anyone knows her) and the whole thing flew couldn't beleive it when it said 10 miles and I was still feeling O.K. I did have a Lucozade gel that I 'ate' at between 7 and 8 miles so it may have been that because usually at 10 miles during training I am ready to throw in the towel - I did have three days off before too so that may have helped - my hips are still really uncomfortable today so I may borrow my next door elderly neighbours electric buggy to nip to Tesco - should be fun!!
  • Options
    Grumle- I was thinking about wearing my green ribbon to every race now.
    Shielsy- Dont know yet. Have looked at the results but couldnt find her. Going to text her now. TBH we werent sure shed finished till she text me this morning!
  • Options
    I only wish Stannah had an express delivery service!!

Why must everything be downstairs when my office is upstairs
  • Options
    Grumblethegoat ~ if you put the bib number into the results search on the great run website you'll get a name, which might help in your search? From there you could try a name search on Firends reunited or something?
  • Options
    I think thats termed "Stalking"
  • Options
    Thanks Helen - we were running from the start together and up to 10 miles ish when she said she wanted to walk but I was to go on - I looked for her coming through but I didn't see her but wanted to catch up with her just to say thanks for making it soo much fun